• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready For Meat Grown From Animal Cells? A Startup Plans A Pilot Plant

zeorhymer

One step closer to zombie apocalypse.

Memphis Meats, a Berkeley, Calif.-based startup, says it's one step closer to bringing cell-based meat to consumers' mouths.

The company plans to build a pilot production facility with funds raised from high-profile investors including Bill Gates, Richard Branson and Kimbal Musk, as well as two giant players in the animal protein and feed space, Cargill and Tyson Foods. The company says its latest funding round has brought in $161 million in new investment.

Valeti and his team walked us through the process of producing cell-based meat. It starts with the selection of specific types of animal cells that can grow to become meat. Next, the cells are fed and put in a "cultivator" — similar to a fermenting tank — where they can grow and form muscle and connective tissue. The process is analogous to the way breweries grow yeast cells to produce beer. Only here, they're growing animal cells.

Source: NPR

bdd.jpg

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Even if this could be considered vegan or whatever, I don't eat animals now and I'm not really waiting to eat lab grown flesh myself, but if it helps dialing back worldwide animal cruelty I'm all for it.

I am all for it.
I am eating lots of meat, but I don't really feel comfortable with it cause ethical reasons.
Why must cows and pigs taste to good...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I’m alright with it. As long as it tastes good, fuck it. This type of thing is going to end feeding the third world one day I imagine.

Zenaku

o_O
With that way of thinking we may as well kill every animal on the planet.
You think farmers would spend time and money raising cows if the human race stopped eating beef and drinking milk?

The cows would likely be culled and reduced to less than 1% of their population in a milk/beef-free world.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
You think farmers would spend time and money raising cows if the human race stopped eating beef and drinking milk?

The cows would likely be culled and reduced to less than 1% of their population in a milk/beef-free world.

How is that worse than what we are doing now regarding livestock?

Makariel

Sure, bring it on!
You think what you describe is not already happening? Where I grew up everything was farms and much of it related to meat and dairy production. Price farmers got paid for milk never really went up in decades, price for everything farmes need to pay for went up. As a result many local farmers stopped with raising cows. Within a decade number of cows in the area went down massively. Now some farmers have started dealing with poultry, some turned to taking care of Horses for rich city folk, only a few stubborn ones still have cows, but they are on the verge of bankrupcy. When I visit my parents these days (who still live in the area) I make pictures of cows when I see them, because they became such a rare sight there, but they used to be everywhere.

Last edited:

Zenaku

How is that worse than what we are doing now regarding livestock?
I have no intention of defending the meat industry or the practices it uses to provide us with meat, it disgusts me and I wish there were more humane ways to do it. I just can't ignore the possibility that "saving the animals" could actually drive them to near extinction; I don't consider a non-existance to be 'saved'

H4ze

If it looks like real meat, tastes like real meat and (very important) feels like real meat, I'm in.

If one of these points fail, I will continue to eat these tasty fuckers

mr_kittycat

literally cant imagine this, its fucking disgusting.

just can't get onboard with all this vegan & vegetarian bullshit. like, is there more of a cuck thing imaginable

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Firmly in camp "if it tastes just like real meat then yep sure sign me up", but so far every time that vegans/veggies have told me something "tastes likes the real thing" have been so fucking catastrophically wrong. They just don't have palates.

Blond

Banned
No thanks, I'm starting to understand veganism for health reasons at this point. This shit is getting ridiculous.

Everyone keeps saying look, texture and taste but no one mentions cost. Unless you can match the price then you're not actually aiming to replace meat, you're just hoping to rope enough suckers to make a profitable product.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
o_O
We are working on it, but it will take time to wipe them all out, some of them are tough little buggers. So just relax, we will get there eventually, but it is a long process.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
We are working on it, but it will take time to wipe them all out, some of them are tough little buggers. So just relax, we will get there eventually, but it is a long process.

The useful ones will evolve and adapt to survive with us, so they will be fine in the long run.

Lrnex

Impossible burgers already taste delicious as long as they aren’t cooked to the point of being dry (seriously the ones at a White Castle are amazing). If something can taste even closer to the real thing then I’m all for it.

eNT1TY

I'm down if it tastes right but i don't know how commercially viable it would be in my life time. I've read that in its current state the most complete and passable forms are upwards of $10,000 a pound taking weeks to produce a flat sliver somewhat resembling a fillet of sorts of several ounces. An Israeli company is leading the charge being the sole producer of "fillets" and several CA companies closely nipping at the heels but still only dabbling in what resembles a ground gelatinous meat mass. I would imagine dropping production cost from $10k a pound to like $2 a pound would take decades of iteration and reifnement.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah im going to give this a big old pass.

soylent green feels closer and closer tbh. wouldn't surprise me for one of these companies to end up revealing theyve been using Chinese political prisoners as the meat if it ends up "costing too much"

Irobot82

o_O

It's not like that. The modern cows aren't wild animals. Nobody is going to keep them on a farm just to keep them in large numbers. They are a purpose bred animal and when the purpose is going no farmer is going to keep high populations of them.

sol_bad

It's not like that. The modern cows aren't wild animals. Nobody is going to keep them on a farm just to keep them in large numbers. They are a purpose bred animal and when the purpose is going no farmer is going to keep high populations of them.

That's a bit different to what you said earlier.
:)

I agree, if this new meat takes off, there will be a mass culling of cows as the industry shrinks and companies will shut down.
I have no idea about this but are there cows out in the wild or are they all domesticated?

Irobot82

That's a bit different to what you said earlier.
:)

I agree, if this new meat takes off, there will be a mass culling of cows as the industry shrinks and companies will shut down.
I have no idea about this but are there cows out in the wild or are they all domesticated?

Sorry I didn't explain my thoughts well. I think there are some wild cows in like Australia or something and there are relatives of the modern cows that are wild. But I don't think wile Black Angus or whatever exist.

If it tastes the same with the same texture, and is cheaper then I'll take a look at lab-grown meat. Until then I'll stick to regular meat.

Top Bottom