• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - Review Thread

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The "another sony hit" posts are lame, like you somehow have to re-affirm how cool you are buying a ps5. Yes, we know you are the best.

On the other hand, we do have an awesome game here, I guess I should hurry up and preorder to get the armor/Pixelator.....

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Sony Ps5 GIF

Chicago Bulls Dunk GIF by NBA

Great reviews!

The reflection quality is nuts. I think the reflections in Spider-Man, while they do the job, are pretty shit when you look at them in any detail but judging by the DF video these reflections are simply gorgeous.

ABnormal

The lighting, textures, effects, hair and fur rendering is at least a generation behind Incredibles 2 and recent Pixar movies. Insomniac are doing the best they can to squeeze as much juice as they can out of PS5, but we're at least a generation away from matching current day CGI cinema. This is not a criticism at Ratchet, it looks impressive, but people have been comparing Ratchet to Pixar since PS2 days and when you look back you realise how ridiculous some of those statements have been. To me it's definitely up there with Pixar's work in mid 2000s, but obviously not recent stuff.
Yes, it is clearly an hyperbole. The impression you get when you see all those kind of cg like effects makes think about cg movies, but prerendered movies are obviously still far away in terms of fine quality.

Great reviews!

The reflection quality is nuts. I think the reflections in Spider-Man, while they do the job, are pretty shit when you look at them in any detail but judging by the DF video these reflections are simply gorgeous.
Yep. Incredibly impressive how they were able to improve the reflections in such a short time. MM reflections are borderline terrible in performance mode.

MikeM

I never cared for this franchise, but maybe i'll play the 2016 Ratchet then buy this. It seems way too well put- together to avoid.

That wall-run scene tho screams Titanfall 2.

And then it crashes. Or freezes. Or I get stuck in a wall and have to reload a checkpoint. Or a white cube appears that I can’t get rid of. Or the frame rate has a brief panic attack. Or the audio desyncs in a cutscene. Or a major subquest gets permanently locked off because the game didn’t spawn in one of the essential items, and so my scavenger hunt must go partially unscavenged.
Whoa, looks like the game may have some problems.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Karak Karak
Great review!
Although the game looks like the simplest type of game. run and gun.... repetitive probably.
Is it better than 2016 when it comes to core gameplay? I got bored of 2016 game quickly.
Really 70 usd for simple run and gun repetitive action is questionable (90 usd where I live yikes)

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Digital Foundry Summary:
  • Insomniac upgraded the final version that we saw in previous trailers
  • The RT reflection is in now 4K, not in 1080p as was in the June 2020 trailer.
  • The main characters have around a quarter-million triangles, without counting the hair/fur
  • There is an unprecedented level of detail in everything. Even the non-interactive random critters and bugs on planets and fired shotgun shells on the ground have perfect graphics as well as ray-traced reflections.
  • The dimension-hopping is also a part of the gameplay.
  • There are no frame drops or stutters when jumping between dimensions.
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart looks better than the 2016 Ratchet & Clank movie in most areas.

Roufianos

😁😁😁 Incredible scores. Wonder how it will compare to A Crack in Time, one of my all time GOATs.

Last edited:

Nester99

OH man,

Digital or Physical ? My PS5 is a bit loud with a disc, and i am super lazy, but that resale once i play it twice is appealing !

Interfectum

Digital Foundry Summary:
  • The main characters have around a quarter-million triangles, without counting the hair/fur
  • There is an unprecedented level of detail in everything. Even the non-interactive random critters and bugs on planets and fired shotgun shells on the ground have perfect graphics as well as ray-traced reflections.
  • Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart looks better than the 2016 Ratchet & Clank movie in most areas.
The best part is Sony Studios share tech all of the time... perhaps a fully funded Astrobot will be on this level too. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Performance RT: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-cont...atchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210605193701.jpg
Quality: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-cont...atchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210605193550.jpg
Performance: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-cont...atchet-_-Clank_-Rift-Apart_20210605193523.jpg

This Performance without RT is a dude, why it's even there?
Shitty reflections for a bit more resolution, what?!

Talking about this, it may look good and all, but until they ship these games without glaring clipping between models we should stop comparing it to movies.
I hope this generation games finally solve this!

Weeks ago people here were discussing that actually that was not impressive at all because it's just background detail that have almost no cost to the performance, etc.

Exactly. Maybe some ppl will start to believe....
NX GAMER video

"Has to be pushing multiple GB's of data"

"Improvements since the launch trailers"

You love to see it.

Digital Foundry Summary:
Beat me to it, lol.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I have never played a Ratchet and Clank, but when I get a PS5 I will get this game just because of how stunning it is. I do think some of the platforming looked awful in it.

kyussman

Sounds great,all the classic Ratchet gameplay cranked up to next gen levels......but I'll just put it into my "to get" list for now....you know,because I can't find a fucking PS5,AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

skit_data

Digital Foundry Summary:
Impressive, the 4k reflections. I had no idea you could checkerboard individual reflections, seems like a great solution!

Top Bottom