• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Retrospective - Future: Tools of Destruction

RK128

Ratchet_%26_Clank_Future_Tools_of_Destruction_Game_Cover.jpg

Today was hectic with Retrospective stuff but that is not stopping me covering the dynamic Lombax and Robot from going on another adventure! As of 4/29/2016, the series had its first movie air in western markets and going to celebrate that with a Retrospective covering this game; Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.

The game is part of my on-going Ratchet & Clank Retrospective series!

This game is the very first PS3 game for the series and one that really made me want a PS3 back in 2007 when it came out. Lets go into the galaxy of space and see where the hunt for the Lombax's takes us.

Development History:
The game started development not long after the 2005 release of Ratchet Deadlocked and Insomniac had two studios at this point in time; one making an upcoming PS3 Launch title that will help sell the system (Resistance Fall of Man) and another making the Ratchet & Clank series.

Resistance-Fall-Of-Man-Front-Cover-35464.jpg

Now that Deadlocked finished production, the Ratchet Team started work on the series jump to the PlayStation 3. They really wanted to make the hardware sing and from current work with Sony on the at the time upcoming Resistance, they had a good idea how to make games for the system.

zXKA17oP2eAzC.gif

They pushed for a 'Pixar' look for Ratchet & Clank and this affected the direction of the storytelling; instead of the game being focused on being a comedy with some fun story beats, we get a more tone-downed adventure that has the series humor but the main point is the plot. They wanted to give Ratchet & Clank important backstory from their origins never covered before and the PS3 series, dubbed 'Future' was a sign that they wanted the Ratchet series to have major story telling elements.

That wasn't the only focus though, as they wanted to return to having a tight ballence between action combat (shooting) and the platforming that the original game & Ratchet 2/Going Commando had. The idea of having powerful gadgets used in combat called 'Devices', some fun gimmicks that would use the motion controls of the PS3 controller well and bring back space travel from Ratchet 2; all of these were goals the team had in mind.

The game finally released in Fall 2007 for the PlayStation 3, with Naughty Dog's own title "Uncharted: Drakes Fortune" coming out not long after. Both games did very well sales and review wise and started a new trilogy of games for both franchises. Ratchet continued on PlayStation 3 with two other games in the Future Series, two spin-off titles and an Epilogue to the Future Series; all of which will be covered in the future.

Story:
The story is very important to the series, as the franchise is known for being a fantastic Pixar-like adventure for a long time. But here, they really try hard to acomplish telling an epic tale for Ratchet & Clank.

hqdefault.jpg

The story begins with the Lombax and his robotic pal working on building some hoverbike and then they hear Quark sending a message that he is being attacked. After crash landing in the middle of a city, Ratchet & Clank blast their way from waves of foes until they get cornered by Emperor Taceon who wants to kill Ratchet due to him being the last Lombax.

948145-ratchetclankfuture.jpg

They high-jack his ship and crash land on another planet. As the adventure continues, Ratchet begins to learn more about his race as a Lombax and Clank starts seeing these odd creatures that have strange powers.

The story here is good, with Ratchet & Clank bouncing off each other well all the while the new characters like Cronk and Zeffer being great additions to the cast. Really love the Smugger, as he is more or less a funner version of Moneybags from Insomniac's own Spyro series. The last character I want to highlight is Talwyn Apogee, as she is a great addition to the series. She is funny, smart and gets into the action often (fighting alongside Ratchet, Clank, and her warbots Cronk & Zeffer). She appears in later games and I hope she appears in this new reboot series that Ratchet 2016 starts.

maxresdefault.jpg

My only gripe with the story is that the comedic 'edge' is softer then before. I mean, the game is still funny at points but you can clearly tell that the humor is used more sparingly compared to past games in the series. And that is fine as long as the story is good, and it mostly is. But the ending concluding on a cliffhanger and Ratchet being a jerk to Clank (like the first game) but only without a decent reason was destracting for the few times that happened.

Good story overall though.

Gameplay:
Its a return to the style of gameplay we got with Ratchet & Clank 2; tight controls, great line-up of weapons to play around with and some great platforming sections that remind me of parts of the first Ratchet & Clank at points.

In many respects. Tools of Destruction feels like a 'proper' sequel to Ratchet 2 more so then Ratchet 3. Ratchet 3 focused very heavily on its gun play while Tools of Destruction has a larger focus on platforming (though you still do a lot of shooting). My main point, is that the balance is done stronger here.

But the gameplay can be broken down into a few sections:

Ratchet has the great gameplay from Ratchet 2 and Ratchet 3. The gun play is a lot of fun and the set pieces that Ratchet goes through are very impressive. Grinding on long rail sections avoiding trains and the camera panning all over the place, the camera going top-down and side-ways during the intro stage, and the levels having a lot of location theme choice (planet with dinos, large city that has a ton of flying cars all over the place, a lost jungle that has you fighting various creatures, navigating across floating asteroids, and fighting across two pirate bases. Will cover the weapons and other stuff in another part but Ratchet controls great here and for greater reference to the specifics to his control, give my Ratchet 2 and 3 Retrospectives a read.

hqdefault.jpg

Clank has a lot of new abilities in this game but his solo-gameplay is a bit weak. His new Zoni powers allow him to fly in the sky, slow down time and break down walls with a powerful laser. Ratchet can use two of these powers at different points in some planets and they are very fun. But Clank's solo gameplay is weak compared to past games. He controls the same and still controls an army but this time, its of Zoni. They can repair things, attack foes, hover in the air, and even allow Clank to slow down time with holding the R1 button.

7.jpg

That sounds like a lot of fun, but it really isn't anything that special. If anything, it lacks the charm of Clank controlling little robots in Ratchet 2 or the odd concept of working with a AI controlled monkey. Also no Giant Clank this time out too. Overall, his functions are fun, but not on the level of past games.

Ship Combat is where things get interesting. Unlike in Ratchet 2, its not all-range mode Star Fox but linear Star Fox like some stages in SF64. And they are a visual highlight with amazing effects filling the screen and the controls working very well. If you are a fan of Star Fox, you might have some great fun with these sections. Otherwise, they are a nice inclusion but don't really add or take away from the game.

75.jpg

The gadgets Ratchet has a few new gadgets like the Gyro Bike, New hacking tool and the Pirate-Guise. Gyro Bike is a Monkey Ball-like mode that has you rolling around and its fun. Its mainly used for some tricky platforming sections and its underused but when it is used, it can be quite fun to play with it. The Hacking Tool allows you to get through locked doors or activate things and you do this from either moving the left stick or tilting the controller. You control this little ball and have to help a 'power surge' move to the end goal. I had a lot of fun with this motion controls or not honestly.

latest

The Pirate-Guise is very simple but very funny; Ratchet turns into a little pirate that dances to open some doors and its fun! Used more for laughs then anything else but still, a nice addition to the game and a cool successor to the Tera-Guise.

ratchet-clank-future-tools-of-destruction-20070816075038611.jpg

The line up of weapons are great here, but we get some recycling of old ideas in past Ratchet games. We have another whip item but its electric this time. We have a shot gun but this time it shoots crystals. We have a pistol but this time it shoots fireballs. They play with traditional weapons we see all the time 'slightly' different and that is cool.

maxresdefault.jpg

But the creative weapons, that is where things get nuts. We have a bee nest we can plant on the ground to sends little insects to kill everything, a Disco Ball called the Groveatron that makes EVERYTHING dance, health absorbing grenades that can give you needed Nanotech and the Plasma Beasts that are little blobs that can follow you when fully upgraded and slam into other creatures. And of course, Mr. Zerkon. This lovely robot spouts one-liners as he kills everything in his path. Love this guy and he appears in many future games.

2.jpg

But some weapons are not 'really' weapons; they are called 'devices' due to being very overpowered and can only buy X amount of them (none of them upgrade outside the Groveatron but you need a lot of money to get that). That is a smart move on Insomniacs part.

latest

You also have an upgrade tree where you use a new currency called Rareatainum that is very common and can give added upgrades to your weapons. If you loved the custom mods from Deadlocked, this is a similar deal here but more indepth. It gives you options on how to upgrade your weapons and later games like Into the Nexus and Ratchet 2016 refine this upgrade system further.

latest

Presentation:
This game looks amazing, it still looks great in 2016 like it did back in 2007. The game has such a bright and vivid art direction that screams 'Pixar' or 'Disney' in many cases and the squash-and-stretch that the PS2 games had comes across here but thanks to the stronger PS3 hardware, the game looks much better then the PS2 games. And the PS2 games looked fantastic.

latest

The musical score though, takes a step down compared to the PS2 games. Its still great stuff, but not on the level of Ratchet 2's or Ratchet 3's soundtrack. I really enjoy it though and its one of the final times the series musical composer took reigns of the soundtrack. David Bergeaud made the soundtracks for every Ratchet game at this point and did amazing work on the PS2 titles. While his work here is more 'movie' like, is still sounds great.

Kerwan - Metropolis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yKG26M4GYU&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZ1xJ1cGge1Z2IeLgpzev02&index=3
Kerwan - Grind Rail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQX-TMYLFds&index=4&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZ1xJ1cGge1Z2IeLgpzev02
Kortog - The Docks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxukygdp6aM&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZ1xJ1cGge1Z2IeLgpzev02&index=12
Voron Asteroid Belt - Space Pirate Territory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6C3fFNP6Xk&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZ1xJ1cGge1Z2IeLgpzev02&index=17
Mukow - Imperial Fight Festival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIXxBfFwiIk&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZ1xJ1cGge1Z2IeLgpzev02&index=20
Apogee Space Station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or5-XLIvKDQ&index=28&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZ1xJ1cGge1Z2IeLgpzev02
Ardolis - Pirate Base 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZieKP5g9fr0&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZ1xJ1cGge1Z2IeLgpzev02&index=31
Viceron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0M3RfVSITs&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZ1xJ1cGge1Z2IeLgpzev02&index=45

Overall:
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is one of the stronger games in the series and it does a lot right. Great gameplay, amazing production values and tight controls all make it a treat to play. And this is only the first PS3 adventure of the series, with two more being covered very soon.

latest

Ra1den

Such a great game. I've played through it 6 times I think, back to back. Much better than a Crack in Time IMO. Level design is top notch.

RK128

Such a great game. I've played through it 6 times I think, back to back. Much better than a Crack in Time IMO. Level design is top notch.

I enjoyed both games evenly, but I'm happy the game had such a great impact on you :D! I remember playing through Ratchet 3 10 times myself on my PS2 and recently 3 times on my Vita via HD Collection XD!

Both games have their pros and cons to me but the level design is definitely superior in Tools of Destruction.

So the PS4 game was my first time with a R&C game and I liked it a ton. I went and bought the PS3 collection of the original games and played a bit of all three, but they are a bit tough to go back to (only a bit though, they've aged well).

I also bought Tools of Destruction and have nearly finished playing through it for the first time and it has aged stupendously. Visually it still looks nice, mainly due to the great art. Image quality isn't good, but that's ok. The gameplay is what has aged best. The older PS2 games had weird controls and this one felt much better. Also playing this to almost completion after playing the PS4 game really highlighted how far Clank sections have come. The PS4 game, Clank's bits are very uninteresting, whereas in Tools of Destruction, his stuff is way more involved. Very much enjoyed this game and am very glad I have gone back and played it. Looking forward to playing A Crack in Time for the first time too.

T-0800

Great game. Not sure how much better looking the new one is when you consider it runs at half the framerate.

Shame that IG also ruined the MP of the first Resistance but that's a conversation for a different topic.

This has always been one of my least favorites in the series. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly why. Maybe I would've been more into it had I not been coming up the fantastic original trilogy.

I think this is one of the more underrated entries in the series. It doesn't really bring a lot of "new" to the table but I think it gets the meat and potatoes gameplay down of the series really, really well. Consequently it's probably the game in the series I have replayed the most. And, man, it really holds up well visually. I'm hard pressed to think of any other early PS3 games that still hold up so well graphically,

I enjoyed both games evenly, but I'm happy the game had such a great impact on you :D! I remember playing through Ratchet 3 10 times myself on my PS2 and recently 3 times on my Vita via HD Collection XD!

Speaking of which, how is the Vita Collection? I hear mixed things about it.

I haven't played this game since 2007, but from what I remember ToD is probably the worst game in the main series. The big problem with it is that it just felt bland and boring. Combat is way too easy and there are no options to adjust difficulty. It lacked the fun multiplayer from the previous games, and the good puzzles from it's sequel CiT. I haven't played this game since 2007. Positives are it looked great, levels were large, and the glider thing is pretty neeto.

I remember being hyped for this before it was even announced. I guess the main reason I don't like this one the best is that the tone was just that much different from the original games (especially Deadlocked).

AndrewRyan

ToD made such a great first impression with its buttery smooth controls and gorgeous animated backgrounds. Also one of the best use of motion controls on the PS3 with flying being pure fun just gliding around. The one major flaw is it is far too easy with no way to increase the difficulty. The best you can do is just not upgrade your armor. Great game and a wonderful glimpse into Crack in Time, imo, the best in the series and one of the GOAT.

DonMigs85

I'm kinda sad this never got a trophy patch.
But it really looked great in 2007, one of the first few games to really show the PS3's muscle along with Uncharted.

This was my first PS3 game and first Ratchet & Clank game so this holds a special place in my heart. A great way to be re-introduced to the Playstation universe.

zeelman

I remember enjoying this game up until the final boss. He was a big difficulty spike for me, then I went back and got the RYNO and crushed him. The game ending on a cliffhanger doesn't help things, either.

hbkdx12

I remember not liking tools of destruction at all for reasons i can't really explain. I bought it like a few weeks before ACiT hit and feeling like i just wanted it to be over with and was afraid that ACiT wouldn't click for me when in fact that game was just all sorts of amazing.

Nordicus

This has always been one of my least favorites in the series. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly why. Maybe I would've been more into it had I not been coming up the fantastic original trilogy.
Tools of Destruction is definitely my least favorite Ratchet & Clank for multiple reasons (I even prefer Deadlocked over it)

Did not like the "Lombaxes are the saviours of the universe" shtick, Ratchet's sudden shift where his species had no significance in the story turning into the most important part of his character, the weapons are unbalanced since early weapons become downright worthless by the end of the game even if you have been leveling them, the Sixaxis gimmick, and just general early PS3 growing pains where everything looks a bit blurry from all the bloom, and I think the framerate wasn't as good as the PS2 games. If not then something else just felt a bit off about how it controlled
I remember enjoying this game up until the final boss. He was a big difficulty spike for me, then I went back and got the RYNO and crushed him. The game ending on a cliffhanger doesn't help things, either.
During that fight I cheesed the ammo crate system where game only gives you ammo for the guns you've used. I kep all other guns' ammo maxed out and only fired the huge fuck-you-laser cannon with 5 ammo and got the ammo replenished

It's funny I've owned this game since 2008 but yet only got the time to actually play and finish it earlier this year. Heck, I finished it a month before the R&C remake. Yes, a whole 8 years of owning the game and I hadn't touch it, which I know is shameful.

But to my surprise, it held up really well. There are obviously some rough edges and some "huh that's it?" cutscenes reminiscent of the first 3 R&C games. Gameplay wise, I like the mostly-60fps presentation, it goes to show how the PS3 could do 60fps but still have a fairly reasonably good looking game, as a near launch title.

Story wise, didn't really pull me in tbh. At times, it felt meaningless. It's the fun and fluid gameplay that keeps me going, it's addicting to keep upgrading every weapon, just to blow the smithereens out of everyone!

I'm cutting through a Crack in Time now, but so far I'm finding it passable. There are some good moments, there are some forgettable ones. People are saying that CiT is the best entry in the Future series? I don't know yet, I'm only half way through.

Trace

Banned
Tools of Destruction is definitely my least favorite Ratchet & Clank for multiple reasons (I even prefer Deadlocked over it)

Did not like the "Lombaxes are the saviours of the universe" shtick, Ratchet's sudden shift where his species had no significance in the story turning into the most important part of his character, the weapons are unbalanced since early weapons become downright worthless by the end of the game even if you have been leveling them, the Sixaxis gimmick, and just general early PS3 growing pains where everything looks a bit blurry from all the bloom, and I think the framerate wasn't as good as the PS2 games. If not then something else just felt a bit off about how it controlled During that fight I cheesed the ammo crate system where game only gives you ammo for the guns you've used. I kep all other guns' ammo maxed out and only fired the huge fuck-you-laser cannon with 5 ammo and got the ammo replenished

Yea looking back I think it's the weakest mainline game even if you include Deadlocked. It was still a good game, but didn't hit the highs of the other ones.

eXistor

I only ever played R&C3, which Ioved, but was also immediately burnt out on the series after that. I did try and play Tools of Destruction but it really felt like more of the same and I dropped it pretty fast. But after all these years I did decide to play the latest game and I actually really liked it.

Thing is, you seem to be gushing about the story and such a lot, which is cool and all, but in the latest game I felt the story telling and humor were the only things that totally fell flat. The humor is fine if you're 12 or something, but it lacks any kind of edge or even cleverness. The storytelling especially was terrible, it introduces characters that have nothing to do with the story left and right and drops them not long after. The story itself is badly told, scenes jump from point to point, the only thing that even remotely works is Qwark's part of the story.

I'm just wondering how you think the new one compares to the old ones, because in all honesty, even though I really liked R&C3, I can't remember anything specific about it.

Tizoc

This game was my first R&C title and the first one I've ever beaten.
Had a blast playing it and was bummed Mustachio Furioso wasn't brought back again :V

This game also showed me one flaw with the R&C games; I'd play A SINGLE game for so long that by the time I beat them, I don't feel like starting a fresh new game all over again.

I will say this though, I was rather bummed they introduced Tailwyn, had her in QfB, then they just ditch her for Qwark.
Now I get why Qwark is so popular but getting sidelined like that was rather lame.

PaulloDEC

Tools was one of my first PS3 games, and probably still one of my favourites. I joined Team Sony late in the game (didn't get my PS3 until 2008), but I'd loved Commando and Arsenal on my PS2 slim, so stepping up to Tools was really exciting.

I hope we eventually get the Future series uprezzed on the PS4. Both the art and the gameplay in these games holds up really well, I reckon they'd be a hit on the newer platform.

RK128

Speaking of which, how is the Vita Collection? I hear mixed things about it.

It runs well enough; mostly stable 30FPS with tight control across all three games. I played Ratchet 3 like the back of my hand many times, and I had no issue with the downgrade to 30FPS with the Vita version. Same with Ratchet 2.

Visually they look great on Vita and overall, the games benefit from the wide-screen that the original HD version had (as the Vita has a large screen.

Ratchet 1 has some issues though, with the controls being a bit too heavy sometimes and the music being bugged. You have multiple tracks for each world but the Vita version only plays one for the entire level unless you die and then the music resets to the correct track.

LAM09

Had never played a R&C game before I bought the PS4 title. Having completed it recently, I've gone and bought Tools of Destruction and A Crank in time. Eager to play them both and see how they stack up.

eliza0224

I really enjoyed ToD. The cliffhanger ending was a bit painful, Ratchet's sad face :(

My fave is definitely Up Your Arsenal, I liked the weapon focus and I felt there was more stuff to do. I still love the newer games, just that for me, you can only play the story, collect a few things and that's it.

Great writeup!

Blues1990

Funny enough, I've been playing the PS4 Ratchet & Clank, and I think the PS3 games still hold up pretty well. (Even though I think the PS4 game, like it's predecessors, does a great job with flexin' the systems capabilities.)

I was very partial towards 'Into the Nexus,' and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that one, as I felt it was overlooked upon it's release.

NastyBook

I should re-buy ToD, because I can't remember much about the game at all. I remember those cool claws, the jello gun, and the WEAKEST looking Ryno the series had. Those lasers were so lame. But just looking at the screens in the OP, my memory is getting some good cardio. Completely forgot about the pirate costume. lol

For as much as I enjoyed the ps4 remake, it felt like such a step down story wise when compared to the future series. I really hope that the next game (something tells me there wont be another film to adhere to) goes back to having more developed characters and deeper lore building. A crack in time is still my favorite entry.

RK128

Funny enough, I've been playing the PS4 Ratchet & Clank, and I think the PS3 games still hold up pretty well. (Even though I think the PS4 game, like it's predecessors, does a great job with flexin' the systems capabilities.)

I was very partial towards 'Into the Nexus,' and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that one, as I felt it was overlooked upon it's release.

While I have some issues with the game 'feels' (the frame rate dives into sub 20 FPS too often) I really enjoyed my time with Nexus and look forward to covering that to cap of this Retrospective when I get to it :).

Will cover the PS4 game, but much later when I finally get a PS4.

wouwie

Tools of the Destuction might still be my favourite R&C game. I just got my first console back in 2007 (didn't have any console prior to the PS3) and i didn't know anything about this franchise or console gaming in general. I remember being blown away with the demo (the Metropolis level) and playing it again and again. I then bought the full game, loved it and played through it multiple times. After ToD, i played all R&C games on PS3 except Full Frontal Assault. After that, i also bought the HD remakes of the original games and more recently the PS4 game.

So yes ToD is where it all started for me so it still has a special place in my heart.

Finished R&C 3 yesterday and now I'm replaying Tools aswell. For some reason the controls aren't as tight as in UYA and the low resolution of the game is a huge difference in comparison to the 1080p PS2 remasters. The framerate is also all over the place, definetly not solid 60fps.

Would love to buy a second remaster collection with ToD, ACiT and Nexus for the PS4.

Top Bottom