• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Retrospective - Future: Quest for Booty

RK128

Ratchet_%26_Clank_Future_Quest_for_Booty_Game_Cover.jpg

The Ratchet Retrospective continues with this smaller downloadable adventure starting the iconic Lombax and some of the new characters introduced in Tools of Destruction.

This game was one of the first 'big' downloadable titles during the PS3 Generation and was an interesting case of Insomniac making two titles in a single year; this and Resistance 2. Very impressive game and hope you all enjoy this Retrospective.

History:
This game started production right after work on Tools of Destruction wrapped up and Insomniac ran into a bit of trouble. They were working on Resistance 2 while Tools of Destruction was being made and needed more hands on deck to get the game released. So, this meant the full sequel to Tools of Destruction would release in 2009.

However, Insomniac wanted to try something new; a small-scaled Ratchet game using the engine Tools of Destruction used as a base. Add in some small mechanics that would be used more in a later game and you have a good excuse to release a small Ratchet title.

This is a landmark case for the studio, as it was the first time Insomniac released two games made by them in a single year; Resistance 2 and this. When the game came out, it got great reviews with the only major issue being the games length. Overall, it was a nice 'taste' for what we later experience with A Crack in Time.

Story:
This game takes place after the cliffhanger ending from Tools of Destruction, with Clank being taken by the Zoni, forcing Ratchet & Talwyn to hunt down Clank. They end up butting heads with the colorful pirate characters from Tools of Destruction and it ends up escalating into Ratchet taking out the pirate foes yet again.

maxresdefault.jpg

What makes this story enjoyable despite its short length is how it allows everyone to 'breath' a bit more. The tone is much lighter compared to Tools and we get to experience more of the world of Ratchet here. He has the option to engage in dialog trees with people, make some moral choices (but not many) and bond more with Talwyn, as she will not appear in A Crack in Time.

latest

The pirate characters shine a lot here as does the general setting of the game. They are funny and Stinky Pete (one of the pirates) narrates the game, not unlike Quark's narration in the recent Ratchet 2016 reboot.

Overall, I really enjoyed this plot, even if its simple and not much happens in the grand scheme of things. We do learn where Clank is and find out that we will be seeing a familiar face that we all enjoyed in Ratchet 3/Up Your Arsenal.

Gameplay:
This is interesting, as I could just copy-and-paste what I wrote about Ratchet in the Tools Retrospective. But I won't as despite the gameplay being very similar to Tools, a decent amount has been added.

rcbooty01-490.jpg

One thing is the lack of focus on combat, as Ratchet loses most of his weapons after the intro level. This leads to the game having a greater focus on core platforming and this is a great move. Tools had the series return to platforming and this game pushing that fact was a smart choice.

site_ratchet-and-clank-future:-quest-for-booty-ss-1.jpg

The level designs supports this, with more difficult platforming challenges to face, simple puzzles to solve and doing some new things with Ratchets Wrench. It has been his stable tool since day-zero and it finally getting some upgrades was great to see. It has a tether that can pull down objects/move platforms and can pick up small objects/throw them.

One example is that you are exploring a dark cave and you pick up a lighting bug with your wrench, allowing you to see what is ahead of you. This small change mixes up the gameplay in fun ways. The game does have weapon-based combat but its far more limited. You don't level things up anymore and you do not have new-game plus like every other title.

144888_screenshot_v2_01_l.jpg

But that isn't needed here, as the game is very short. I beat this in 2 hours and while you have the ability to play on Hard a second go around, its kinda pointless.

Presentation:
This game looks just as great as Tools of Destruction looked but I noticed a lot of smaller upgrades over that game. Ratchet's movement feels 'smoother' and his animations are more refined. Not to mention the frame rate feels more stable, hitting a 60FPS more often then Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time. The style of the game is fantastic too, with the pirate motif being a great excuse to have different-styled locations for the series. More dark caves, haunted locations and rougher islands to explore for example. I love that and a later game 'Into the Nexus' does something similar that I appreciated there too.

David Bergeaud returns to compose the games score and it is solid. Enjoyed a lot of the games tracks and they added to the atmosphere of the different levels.

Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOPiJveH_U0&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZC4ER9_zmTzZlvB8swf7DF&index=2
The Azorean Sea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jASCu9voKWw&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZC4ER9_zmTzZlvB8swf7DF&index=3
Hoolefar Turbines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCX4Pnb14Sg&index=4&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZC4ER9_zmTzZlvB8swf7DF
Mysteries of Hoolefar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQLKFfsewi8&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZC4ER9_zmTzZlvB8swf7DF&index=6
Slag's Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx4aItOWzJE&index=13&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZC4ER9_zmTzZlvB8swf7DF
Climbing Darkwater's Fleet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9bVYpN9rbY&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZC4ER9_zmTzZlvB8swf7DF&index=16
Sprocket's Rage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTmqoSUh5sU&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZC4ER9_zmTzZlvB8swf7DF&index=28
Credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcPBIWoKdsU&index=30&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZC4ER9_zmTzZlvB8swf7DF

Conclusion:
This game is a good case for giving a mouse a cookie. You take it and really enjoy it, but you want more. Here, you DON'T get more, but what you DO get is very enjoyable and a great way to kill a few hours.

I enjoyed this smaller Ratchet adventure a lot and if you never got it on its own, it comes bundled with the retail version of Into the Nexus via Download voucher. Fitting that the two really outlandish Ratchet adventures in one 'collection' but point still stands. The US only got the game via Digital Release, while other regions got limited retail runs of the title. Thank you NeoGaf Member televator for pointing this out to me, as I knew this but forgot to mention that before this point.

It is a fun adventure and a great lead-in for the future game, A Crack in Time. Many regard that is one of the best Ratchet games of all time and very excited to tackle that very soon.

maxresdefault.jpg

RK128

Just a heads up that the Future Series Retrospectives will conclude with A Crack in Time tomorrow :).

But after that, will be covering All 4 One! And considering that is a co-op game, its best to play that with some buddies. Sadly, I never played the game in co-op, so will not be able to touch on the MP aspect to the game.......but maybe you guys want to help me with that :D!

Feel free to PM your PSN names or post them here (mine is RK128) and maybe we can set up a MP session where we play through some of the game together. Let me know if you guys are interested with that, as I have no issue glossing over the MP part of the game for the Retrospective as the game is a fun single player game as well.

Either way, hope you enjoy this Retrospective!

RK128

Seems like not many played this one before; normally more people post when I make these.

But I can completely understand, it was a low-key release back in 2008. Heck, I never played this until I got it for free with 'Into the Nexus'!

But if anyone read this Retrospective, hope you all enjoyed it :).

televator

I liked it. Looking forward to other retrospectives of this great series.

This'll probably be a collector's game once the PS3 becomes "Retro."

RK128

I liked it. Looking forward to other retrospectives of this great series.

This'll probably be a collector's game once the PS3 becomes "Retro."

I can see that happening too; smaller title plus it having a limited retail run will mark up prices of the disk version in the future.

I did Retrospectives on the PS2 Trilogy, Deadlocked and Tools of Destruction (linked in the OP) so give them a read if you want to see my thoughts on the series :D.

Can't wait to cover A Crack in Time tomorrow, as it is one of my favorite games in the series (behind Ratchet 3 and Ratchet 2 as 'best game' for me).

RK128

It was a lot of fun covering this and I hope you all enjoyed reading this Retrospective!

Later today (as of 5/1) will be posting the Retrospective for A Crack in Time, so hope you look forward to that :D!

ah! loved this game. what makes it really nice was the bigger focus on non-combat objectives near the beginning, which sorta falls to the wayside eventually but still makes up a good chunk of the game. Clank is sorely missed but it makes up for it in other ways.

It's also not too short and not too long. Just a perfect bite-sized adventure.

Also I like Talwyn so was nice to get more of her and Ratchet interacting.

oh and has one of the best scores in the series, love the pirate themes

Corrupt

I should go back and replay this. I bought it day one and enjoyed it, but this thread's made me realise I can't remember much about it.

Erasus

I really liked this game. As you said, its short but its kinda built to be short and a very good ratchet game.

I haven't replied to each of your Ratchet retrospectives despite playing every main entry (and a little of All-4-One) but this is easily my least favorite.

I come to ratchet for gunplay more than platforming and I've always enjoyed the sense of growth with weapons that level. This took away my favorite aspect! So I played through it once but it was completely forgettable to me.

If my PS3 was still hooked up I'd have tried to help out with multiplayer in All-4-One but it's boxed up and put away. I could only imagine it really improves that game, though.

RK128

I haven't replied to each of your Ratchet retrospectives despite playing every main entry (and a little of All-4-One) but this is easily my least favorite.

I come to ratchet for gunplay more than platforming and I've always enjoyed the sense of growth with weapons that level. This took away my favorite aspect! So I played through it once but it was completely forgettable to me.

If my PS3 was still hooked up I'd have tried to help out with multiplayer in All-4-One but it's boxed up and put away. I could only imagine it really improves that game, though.

I can understand that completely; I am more of a shooting guy myself considering Ratchet 3 is my favorite game in the series :). But thank you for the kind words and I understand why you can't help with the All-4-One Retrospective. Glad you enjoyed this Retrospective!

Bishop89

i thought it was pretty weak, and very short even by 'expansion/dlc' standards.

edit: title of the game is great though :)

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
That was the greatest title ever thought out. Shame that it was relegated to a smaller title that didn't even get a physical release outside of the PAL region.

HYDE

Banned
I actually imported a physical copy for myself. US got download only.

I found an imported copy in a US pawn shop and insta-bought it.

Also own the digital version.

I feel like Into The Nexus and Quest For Booty are both awesome entries, even if a bit short.

I bought this way back in the day and then skipped it because I went through a long phase where I basically had to be cajoled into playing a Ratchet & Clank game, despite never having a bad experience with the series. Hearing that it's very short helps, though, because I could probably fit it in one evening. Which I might do before Uncharted 4 hits in two weeks.

hawk2025

I LOVED it back then.

It was short, sweet, and left just enough for the Future (hah!) that had me anticipating more.

Hell, unlike most R&C fans I liked the Future series better than the original trilogy through and through.

RK128

I LOVED it back then.

It was short, sweet, and left just enough for the Future (hah!) that had me anticipating more.

Hell, unlike most R&C fans I liked the Future series better than the original trilogy through and through.

While Ratchet 2 & 3 are my favorites, Tools and ACiT are damn great games as well, so can easily see why you would love them so much :).

RK128

I love that you do this, OP.

Great little read, loved this when it came out.

Its becoming more of a hobby now the more I think about it XD!

Little mini-papers on games I really enjoy playing or covering a series I feel needs more attention :).

Glad you enjoyed the Retrospective :D!

RK128

This game was ok. I really liked the first island, but I always thought the second half of the game kinda sucked.

I enjoyed the game a lot but I agree that it gets a bit stale when we get to the final 3rd of the experience. It feels like Insomniac was like "Okay, we need a conclusion to this.....lets just throw Ratchet back on the pirate ships we had on on in the intro stage!"

For 10 bucks or for free with Into the Nexus, this is far from a bad deal :). Great time that drags a bit toward the end.

My problem wasn't the scope exactly. The main bad impression I got from the second half was Island number 2. I just thought the challenges there were lame lol. Way more lackluster than the first island. Also, the part where you're just fighting waves of enemies on the beach is eh.

Now Nexus. That's where it's at.

NateDog

For me QfB was the last game that really felt like the first 3 games. Had humour, decent story and decent platforming. It was of course very short but if Tools of Destruction was QfB but in a longer format I would have enjoyed it so much more. Well worth a go but I wouldn't pay more than €10 for it (if even that these days).

Always liked this one a lot, the score was great and I liked that we got to fight more space pirates, can never get enough of them. Plus Talwyn isn't super annoying like some of Ratchet's other allies so it was cool that the 3 of them got to blow stuff up.

Illucio

Banned
I hated the first level it was too easy and way too time consuming. It felt like half the game right there.

It was still a good game because it was Ratchet and Clank but it was hardly memorable and was just a stepping stone to maintain fans interest until A Crack in Time came out.

The world needs more Ratchet and Clank games, it's still one of my favorite series. The remake game isn't doing it for me because I'm craving a sequel after A Crack in Time/Into The Nexus.

VLiberty

That moment when you realize you have a retail copy of this one but not of R&C 2016.

I loved it. It was short and felt like a dlc, but I enjoyed every single minute of it. I tend to consider it as the best part of Tools of Destruction, in fact.

After completing Crack in Time and Into The Nexus , the lack of polish was glaring. I still need to finish it, but I'm not in a huge hurry unlike Into The Nexus where the game was just getting good and then it ends (which pissed me off to no end).

Top Bottom