• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare developer interview (Chris Tilston)

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
http://perfectdarkzero.com/journals/tilston_interview.htm

lots of good multiplayer details

MGS Operative - What can you tell us about your approach to designing the multiplayer aspect of PDZ? What were your goals at the outset, and how did you work through them?

Chris Tilston - We wanted something that was fun but balanced – it needed to be balanced to survive in a live environment where exploiters would continually use the most powerful weapon. So a lot of the weapons are balanced based on a lot of factors other than the damage and fire rate, with some of these being the accuracy of the weapon, the reload times, the ammo capacity, the range of the weapon and how good it is against armor.

We also wanted to keep fans of the original multiplayer from PD happy and give them something familiar, which we do in our Deathmatch mode, but also to try and take the game into new territory with Dark Ops. Unfortunately, that means multiplayer is really two different games — which is bad from an amount of work we need to do side but great for the person who buys the game. (Actually it’s maybe three different types of games if you include the bots, which can be played offline and online.)

Deathmatch is very similar to PD 64 in that a weapon set (that can be fully customized) is picked and players respawn when they die. Dark Ops on the other hand is round based and players have a single life. Dark Ops is tenser and using the secondaries well really can make or break a round. With Dark Ops we wanted to explore the uncertainty you get by not knowing what weapons the players will have until they come ‘round that corner.

When we added the secondaries on top of these weapons we wanted the weapons to move the gameplay sideways and give the player more options. We didn’t want secondaries which just made the gun fire faster but secondaries which allowed the player to play in a different way. They give the great deal of depth and when used in the right situation can tip the balance in the firefight. This was an iterative process where things that didn’t make the cut were replaced by better ones.

If a player is a really good tactician, or has got a good feel for the guns, they’ll figure out the best time to use the secondaries. Take something simple like a secondary which attaches a silencer. A good tactic in Dark Ops would be to have one or two allies with silenced weapons race forward to get into a good position and have the main force take a different route. The scouts can then take silenced pot shots at the enemies using the element of surprise and not show up on radar (apart from the person who they are hitting).

good stuff :D

now fix those shit looking graphics

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lots of new (to me) info... sounds great too. like a tweaked version of halo's mechanics. the bit about temporary damage sounds great, as does different movement rates depending on the weapon you are carrying, but probably the coolest sounding addition is the inventory system.

The players have 4 slots in which to carry weapons and each weapon can take up 1, 2 or 3 slots depending on how powerful it is. We wanted to balance what the player could carry so that they would have trade-offs. We didn’t want situations where you could have a rocket launcher which is great at range and a shotgun which is good close up. Now you have to sacrifice a bit if you want that big gun, so if you do get close to that guy who has the sniper rifle you know the most he’s going to be packing is a pistol.

I'm just happy bots are back. Hope they're as flexible as they were in the original. Nothing beats you and your friends getting slaughtered by Ultra bots.

Sal Paradise Jr said:
I'm just happy bots are back. Hope they're as flexible as they were in the original. Nothing beats you and your friends getting slaughtered by Ultra bots.

Yea i hope the judgement bot and pacifist bot are back those guys were hilarious.

Hero

Sounds fun. I loved the original. It was ahead of its time in my opinion.

Even games like Halo/Halo 2/etc didn't have some features Perfect Dark did.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
pacifist bot

You mean the bastard fucking bastard stop hitting me you fucking bastard!...bot.

All sounds great. Bit unhappy there's only 6 base maps still, but I guess I don't play on more than 6 maps in any other FPS either, so if they're good enough then it'll be fine.

Mama Smurf said:
You mean the bastard fucking bastard stop hitting me you fucking bastard!...bot.

All sounds great. Bit unhappy there's only 6 base maps still, but I guess I don't play on more than 6 maps in any other FPS either, so if they're good enough then it'll be fine.

Yea only 6 maps sounds bad ....I have a feeling microtransactions are in the future :(

Oh damn i forgot how awful the slap effect was in PD ...you would die and respawn WITH THE SLAP EFFECT ARGH!!

FightyF

Banned
Took me a while to figure that chup = choop. That's how I'd spell it anyways... :p

The game sounds great. I can see why MS is so keen on it, but obviously this game has a way to go in the graphics department.

Heheh, I wonder if they'll release it as is, and then update the graphics and release that as an update.

Top Bottom