• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon 7700XT and 7800XT - Review thread

winjer

Gold Member

relative-performance-2560-1440.png

relative-performance-2560-1440.png

Drivers:

Last edited:

Leonidas

So it's not slower than a 6800 XT, after all. Faster than a 6900 XT in ray tracing.

Seems like the least terrible of the RDNA 3 parts.
GN found it slower in many games.

now for 4070 is way too much, need asap price drop, looks worse than 7800XT
No different than 6800 XT vs 4070. 6800 XT was cheaper and faster in raster.
4070 still has DLSS, efficiency and is much faster in heavy RT titles. I'd still go with 4070 since those features matter to me and I game at 1440p where FSR looks like trash.

7800 XT faster than the RTX 4070 for $100 cheaper.

Big win for AMD. Seems like the "mainstream" card to go with.
6800 XT already beat 4070 for $100 cheaper in raster. Nvidia still wins in RT, image reconstruction and efficiency.
7800 XT doesn't really do anything to the 4070 that the 6800 XT didn't, unless we're acting as if maybe 3% difference from previous gen is a big deal.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

First we need to know, what RDNA 3.5 bringing. ofc RT will be way faster, because RDNA4 RT
The pro may not being used as best as the base PS5 but it should have better usage than the 7800xt because devs have direct access over the hardware.

Irobot82

I'm still on a GTX 1080. I was hoping this card would excite me to buy. I really need an upgrade, but I feel like this will just be a stepping stone for next round.

hinch7

Seen a few reviews and the 7800XT seems to be the graphics card to get around $500. Slightly faster than a 4070 on average with 4GB more VRAM and way more memory bandwidth; so will scale better at 4K. Also isn't too far behind in Raytracing. Only the power consumption sucks and FSR still lagging behind DLSS and XeSS in image quality. So its a give or take.

The 7700XT isn't worth mentioning really. That deficit of 17% or so performance make the 7800XT a no brainer at $50 more.

Last edited:

Bojji

7800XT nipping at the heels of the $800+ 4070ti at 1440p.

How much you wanna bet it ages better than Nvidia’s 12GB card?

Where?

It will probably age better but overall performance profile is the same as 6800XT, GPU from 2020.

They didn't make any improvement to x8x0XT line, only price is lower this time.

Nvidia prices are absurd and we know that already, so far AMD wasn't much better but this part is not too bad.

Kataploom

Gold Member
True, prices will fall in a few months. Closer to $400 and it starts to become an interesting product.
I think it already is, it's a massive jump over 6700 XT, not too far behind the 7800 XT and 6800 XT and $50+ less. It also completely obliterates both 4060 Ti at better price.

But yeah, AMD prices will be unbeatable over the time.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yeah I know. They'll all be at least twice as fast. I just need to pull the trigger. I'm thinking a nice Christmas treat for me.
AMD is great for you, I'd get a 7800 XT if I was you... Then see from there if you'll jump to AMD or Nvidia but then you won't be in a hurry to upgrade, you can do it at your pace knowing you are already well covered

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Are there comments on Hypr-X? I want to know how that tech is working even without FMF

The new drivers release today by AMD include Hypr-X.
And also Anti-Lag+ for RDNA3.

Adrenalin Edition 23.9.1​

New Feature Highlights
  • AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ - Takes responsive gaming to the next level by introducing per-game profiling to intelligently pace frames further reducing input lag on RDNA 3 based Radeon GPUs. For more information about game support click HERE.
  • AMD Radeon™ Boost– Now supports AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ and improves image quality through awareness of mouse sensitivity, reducing the image quality impact of dynamic resolution switching during motion—typically seen with high-DPI mice.
    • AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.9.1 introduces AMD Radeon™ Boost support for Resident Evil™ 4 Remake and Ghostwire™: Tokyo, which delivers extra performance and increased responsiveness with little perceived impact to quality.
  • AMD HYPR-RX – Introducing a new driver experience that allows users to optimize their games using AMD Software features for their RDNA 3 based Radeon GPUs, achieving increased performance and lower latency with ease.
  • AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 23.9.1 introduces the ability to intelligently combine AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+, Boost, and Radeon Super Resolution to achieve improved performance and latency reduction than these features can achieve on their own.
  • For more information: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/software.
What’s Next?
  • AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ - Initially supporting 12 games, new game support for AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag+ will be released through AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition updates in the coming months.
  • AMD HYPR-RX - The HYPR-RX experience will continue to grow, including support for AMD Fluid Motion Frames to boost FPS using frame generation for DirectX® 11 and 12 games in Q1 2024.
Fixed Issues
  • Error message may be observed when selecting Spatial sound format of “Dolby Atmos for home theatre”.
Known Issues
  • Performance Metrics Overlay may report N/A for FPS on various games.
  • Audio may intermittently become out of sync with video when recording from AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition with AV1 codec.
  • Display may not reach correct brightness with certain games on select SAMSUNG™ FreeSync Premium Pro monitors or TVs with local dimming setting enabled.
  • Application crash may be observed while playing Baldur's Gate 3 with Vulkan® API set on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
  • Application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing SMITE™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XT.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I hope they launch not too far off from msrp, I'd like to get a 7800 XT
The first few have gone up here and the cheapest one is only 10 more than MSRP, wow; I need the gigabyte one which comes in at 600, so 50 more, so I'm gonna wait a bit for more stores to start posting.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Doesn't matter what you or I think of RT, it's where game rendering is going, like it or not.

...and the fact is if you go AMD, you are going to be at a disadvantage.

It does matter, because I can turn it off for better performance.
I can count on one hand the number of games where ray tracing is worth having on, and I’m able to do it just fine on my AMD card.

Last edited:

marjo

So the summary seems to be: Less shitty than Nvidia, but still pretty shitty.

I guess that's progress.

StereoVsn

7800xt seems like a decent card for the price. Not amazing certainly and I kind of feel 6950 cards on sale for like $550 might be better, but overall, not terrible.

It's much better vs stupid 4060Ti 16GB and better vs 4070 as well.

draliko

for long term is it better to get the 7800 or wait for the 6950 to drop in price?
i have an 500w psu
i'd go 7800xt, always prefer the new iteration if price is similar, to go with old iteration you should have a very big discount

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
for long term is it better to get the 7800 or wait for the 6950 to drop in price?
i have an 500w psu

7000 series will grant you the frame generation they’re working on for all DX11 and DX12 titles, so I’d say that might be worth it.

I’d also bump up that PSU. I don’t think 500 watts is going to cut it.

Top Bottom