• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Race Driver GRID demo available on the MP

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just finished my first race, and man I'm impressed - here's a quick review for those at work...

Game is solid, and I mean solid 30fps with some nice blur and some nice subtle camera jolts for hard collisions - completely smooth for me so far...

Graphically, it looks damn impressive - bright lighting but not blinding like DIRT, 20 cars on the track, detailed car models, super-detailed crash models including flying debris like glass and bumpers, great in-car dashboard, sharp textures, trees that actually look like real trees, lots of spectators - I can keep going on...

Controls - spot-on - the car has some insane grip and response on the track - it drifts so tight that I half-expect to spin out on every turn, but it grips the corners so tightly it's like your wheels are stuck to the track, the brakes make the car stop on a dime and the drifting combined with the lovely smoke feels so satisfying - I think GTAIV's driving is the reason why I was making such cautious turns at first...

Sound is just lovely - let's just say that when I battled my way to 1st during the beginning of the second lap, I didn't even have to use the rear view look, as I could always tell when the guy in second place gained on me, and from which side he was approaching from, and I could block him without even looking back... crashes sound satisfying with the crushing metal and glass as well, especially when you hear the other cars crashing either up ahead or behind you...

AI is great as they don't just drive "perfectly" around the track which I absolutely hate in games, they actually battle each other by ramming during turns, of even on straights when next to each other - a few cars tried to take me out as well, but again thanks to the controls I was able to hold on like a pro and avoid losing control...

Back to the car models and damage - my first race, I purposely crashed sideways as I drifted into the pack in the first turn to get ahead, and had my front left bumper crushed in, a few more hits and it flew off onto the track where it collided with other cars... slid off the track a few times from taking them too hard so I restarted the race...

Second time, I flew into the pack on the first turn, this time my left wheel axle got bent crooked, which led to my car sliding off to the left on its own as I drove.. then I thought, let me race properly the third time - where I drove aggressively but carefully, and won the race, witnessing and starting a few pile-up crashes along the way...

Menu presentation is pretty damn nice as well, just like how DIRT's impressed me as well...

Nice touch is how you can press the Back button in the middle of a race and get an instant replay, which I found out by accident while trying to find out where to switch camera angles...

So yes, I'm impressed, and I've only done the races so far, and I still have the two other events to do - and I had the replay of my win going on the whole time as well... make sure to download this when you guys get home...

Haunted

dk_ said:
Some impressions:

Positive:

- The replay mode looks really nice and the rewind feature is a good addition
- Framerate is smooth
- The damage model is pretty detailed
- The KI is really realistic and often drives besides the racing line
- Xbox Live Multiplayer works great and w/o lag
- You can choose your name at the beginning and the commentator uses it in the race :D

Negative:

- The cockpit view looks strange because of the jerky steering animation
- Handling and drifting seem a little odd to me. Kinda like NFS... ah I don't know. Maybe I set the diffictulty to expert and try my luck. Breaking and handling assists were off.
Nooooooo! The most important thing of them all!

Still, all the positive points don't sound bad at all. Thanks for all the impressions, guys. :D

Manager said:
1370_0001.jpg
Presentation seems to be top notch again, at least.

Fantastic demo. Them Brits sure do make nice racers. Both Bizzare and now CM made two great looking and playing games as 3rd parties.

Manager

480p video encoding of the Yokohama race track, should be online in ~20 min.

edit:
Some issues, will be delayed a little bit.

GHG

Shogmaster said:
Fantastic demo. Them Brits sure do make nice racers. Both Bizzare and now CM made two great looking and playing games as 3rd parties.

Yep Motorstorm as well. We are car nuts over hear (even with all the damn speed cameras) :D .

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I will download this when I get home, please be good Codies....please be good. (See my post history ref GRID if you're wondering why I haven't got high hopes).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Shogmaster said:
Apparently the game is running 720p 4XAA. Nice. Looks it. Jaggies at minimum.

Absolutely no jaggies here, I didn't even think about looking for them earlier actually, now that I think about it...

This game is a technical marvel I must say...

Skilotonn said:
Absolutely no jaggies here, I didn't even think about looking for them earlier actually, now that I think about it...

This game is a technical marvel I must say...
Pretty damn impressive for a game that most of us didn't even know about a year ago. They put this sucker together pretty damn good, pretty damn fast. Kudos, CM. Masters you are indeed.

GHG

I think we can finally put to rest the whole "Codemasters = bullmasters" crap. They have delivered first on DIRT and now this. Doubters and haters silenced.

Kafel

Banned
I liked how in the last lap, being first but with a lot of pressure, the guy called me by my name and told me that I'll be very lucky if I finish the race, the motor being about to let me dow.

ugh

Pimpwerx

Meh. This game should have come out last Fall. Any racing game coming to the PS3 now has been sent to die...unless it's MS2. This is paling in comparison to the competition. :( PEACE.

bj00rn

Banned
Seems like a solid game indeed.

Edit:

Pimpwerx said:
Meh. This game should have come out last Fall. Any racing game coming to the PS3 now has been sent to die...unless it's MS2. This is paling in comparison to the competition. :( PEACE.

What are you talking about, I don't get it. Fanboy tourette's?

Pimpwerx said:

...wow...never fails

Pimpwerx said:
Get that BS outta here. If the PS3 version runs as well as the 360 version, you guys should be ecstatic that you have another great racer that's not in the same damn mold as GT.

And folks wonder why PS3 don't sell games. It's BS attitude like this. This kind of stupid first party worship is gonna kill the PS3 development.

so is the handling much Tighter than Dirt? In Dirt some of the cars were way too lose. It was like trying to control a Fish swimming on Ice.

kobashi100 said:
so is the handling much Tighter than Dirt? In Dirt some of the cars were way too lose. It was like trying to control a Fish swimming on Ice.
Maybe because you were racing on DIRT? Just a guess...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Shogmaster said:
Pretty damn impressive for a game that most of us didn't even know about a year ago. They put this sucker together pretty damn good, pretty damn fast. Kudos, CM. Masters you are indeed.

I still remember the trailer where it said that it was 100% in-game, and there were people that were doubting... CM sure proved themselves here...

CoLaN said:
wasn't Dirt the same, if not better on Ps3?
From what I remember, PS3 had better image quality but slightly fewer environment details (like you would only notice them if you had both running side by side in slow motion).

With an extra year work on PS3 I don't see why it wouldn't be as good, if not better.

Yoboman

Shogmaster said:
Get that BS outta here. If the PS3 version runs as well as the 360 version, you guys should be ecstatic that you have another great racer that's not in the same damn mold as GT.

And folks wonder why PS3 don't sell games. It's BS attitude like this. This kind of stupid first party worship is gonna kill the PS3 development.
Hey Shoggy

I <3 you

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Pimpwerx said:

:lol :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nofi said:
I can't wait for the comparison thread.
I'm sure the game will be great on both platforms. DiRT was ported beautifully to the PS3 so I have no doubt that the same will happen here.

The PC will win all, though. I picked up the PC version of DiRT for $4.99 a couple of months ago and it runs at a rock solid 60 fps at 1280x720 for me (with 4x AA and 16x AF). Looks fantastic. It's actually probably the most impressive looking racer I've seen on the PC.

acm2000

360/ps3 = 30fps (360 4xAA!, ps3 ??? TBC)
pc = 60fps (but expect meaty gfx card for that)

as for DiRT, ps3 one had reduced bloom, some less foliage, and they used updated engine (the beginnings of this games improved engine) so had more solid framerate

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So the game is 720p 30fps (fair enough), and 4xAA? holy cow, please make the handling good please make the handling good (repeat ad infinitum).

Oh, take the fucking console fanboy shit out of here already, Codies (especially their racing studio) have always been known as being console neutral, and if DIRT is anything to go by (Same NEON engine), the games will be roughly identical on both PS3 and 360, the only difference will be the PC which will allow 60 FPS if you have a Ninja rig.
dark10x said:
I'm sure the game will be great on both platforms. DiRT was ported beautifully to the PS3 so I have no doubt that the same will happen here.

The PC will win all, though. I picked up the PC version of DiRT for $4.99 a couple of months ago and it runs at a rock solid 60 fps at 1280x720 for me (with 4x AA and 16x AF). Looks fantastic. It's actually probably the most impressive looking racer I've seen on the PC.
PC will be the best platform no doubt, even TOCA RD 3 still looks awesome at 1680 x 1050 6x AA 8x AF at a FPS that never goes below 60 on my rig, pure racing bliss.

eso76

wow, those are ingame screenshots captures ?
that's some impressive AA, almost bullshot clean.

very nice car textures too, ego engine is a beast !! (please, license for FM3 kthxbye)

f@luS

More than a member.
CoLaN said:
wasn't Dirt the same, if not better on Ps3?
yeah bit bitter. I expect at least the same for this one.....
just played the demo on 360, quite good looking, one of the best racing game from a gfx standpoint (but not the best)

Oh hell the handling is awful. I can't drive these bloody cars. I mean, what the hell kind of physics-defying supertires did they put on them and why don't they use them in real life?
:(

Yes I have the driving assists off. The BMW race. Using one of the "first person" cameras help quite a bit. The ridiculously awkward-looking swinging/sliding of the rear of the car throws me off.

At least it looks great, like really great, save the stupid color filter and exaggerated bloom. Smooth framerate, little jaggies, great textures, lots of cars, rather magnificent damage system, particle effects etc. Everything looks good. Trackside details, tons of spectators, who cheer and boo btw, and scream and step back if you hit the barrier. They animate robotically though, but care. If it had more natural lighting I'd say it was the best looking racing game in the history of ever. Everything that has anything to do with the presentation is great. The menus, how you get to choose your name, the audio...

edit
Just noticed that the cars get dirty too, you'll get black rubber sticking to the car around the wheels. And you can move the camera slightly during replays. The presentation is just impeccable. Or well, the music is stupid.

But I can't play this. Don't know if I'll ever get properly used to it.
Yeah, that's kind of what it feels like. Haven't played Dirt much so I can't compare though. After 15 minutes I have grown more accustomed to it, but it still feels really odd and I'm yet to actually overtake anyone, or even keep up. The car just doesn't react and respond the way I expect it to.

Top Bottom