• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about Dragon Quest VII (yes, 7)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I started playing this and I've passed the
second island fire-god mission thing
and well, after a painfully long intro to the game and a couple "missions" I'm wondering if this game has any sort of character development or if it's rather event-oriented. Because so far everything is really lame, like the characters are just tools to activate the next sequence, and the "story" parts are along the lines of:

"Wow, that is an interesting and mysterious message!"
{something happens}
"Wow, this is so interesting!"
{something happens}
"That was so interesting! I wonder if this had anything to do with that mysterious thing?"

...and you get the idea, total yawn. By this time into the game something like Lunar would be well into everything with the story and fun characters.

The game is ridiculously long, and at about 30-40 hours in develops an overarching plot. Hell, you don't even get character classes until a good 20 hours in.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I love this game so much, and it's the only DQ that i've ever owned. I really like the way it eases you into everything and how most of the game is just so chill with little bits of humor sprinkled throughout. It saddens me that most people don't get it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Drinky Crow said:
The game is ridiculously long, and at about 30-40 hours in develops an overarching plot. Hell, you don't even get character classes until a good 20 hours in.
wow.gif

I'm not sure I'm up for that.

I love this game so much, and it's the only DQ that i've ever owned. I really like the way it eases you into everything and how most of the game is just so chill with little bits of humor sprinkled throughout. It saddens me that most people don't get it.
There is a difference between easing into things and doing things so slowly that it feels patronizing.

I dunno, it'd help if everything didn't feel so mechanical.

Pellham

Banned
That's part of what makes it so awesome. It's quite possibly the longest JRPG ever made (in terms of *required* length). I love how everything is stretched out so far.

jett

D-Member
DQ7 pwns. If you want some sort of character development you should talk to your party, most of the time they have something funny/interesting to say. DQ is all about getting mad XP and enjoying the battle system, not about an ubercomplex storyline. If you can't enjoy it for what it is, then maybe it's not for you.

Top Bottom