• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest 2 speaks for the failures of VR!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I want to start out by saying that I love my Quest 2. I got it for Christmas 2021 and put numerous hours into it. After the newness rubs off, most owners run into the same flaw.

There are over 20 million Quest 2 sold so it is far from a niche product. The issue is the game library sucks.

About 95% of the entire game library are Wii shovelware games by small indie studios. Looking at the top selling games, games like Job Simulator, bone lab, and Blade & Sorcery are near the top. There frankly just isn't enough quality games on the Quest store. Resident Evil 4 is by far the best game on the system but it's still a game about 20 years old. I do not see a reason to buy a psvr 2 due to the same reasons.

Vr is ready, the developers are not

Sleepwalker

I want to start out by saying that I love my Quest 2. I got it for Christmas 2021 and put numerous hours into it. After the newness rubs off, most owners run into the same flaw.

There are over 20 million Quest 2 sold so it is far from a niche product. The issue is the game library sucks.

About 95% of the entire game library are Wii shovelware games by small indie studios. Looking at the top selling games, games like Job Simulator, bone lab, and Blade & Sorcery are near the top. There frankly just isn't enough quality games on the Quest store. Resident Evil 4 is by far the best game on the system but it's still a game about 20 years old. I do not see a reason to buy a psvr 2 due to the same reasons.

Setup airlink and start playing SteamVR games on your Quest 2 to give it a second lease on life. If you own a decent PC, ofc.

I haven't bought a stand alone quest app since RE4, everything else is much more enjoyable via Air Link with higher fidelity.

20 million is for Quest 1 and Quest 2.

Most of the VR markets games across the board are what you are referring to as Wii shovelware. We are only recently seeing the bar getting raised.

Quest moving to Unreal Engine 5 as a near-mandate will lift that bar even higher being the market leaders. Especially for the Quest 3, but we should expect that most devs will take time before they get out of that phase.

2013 is the year that we are supposed to see new tools for Devs to improve. Including 3 headsets that directly mentioned the software issues and claim (TCL being one of them) they have a ecosystem with tools to raise the bar. You also have headset makers who are looking to spend money to support better games from devs. Pimax for example is removing Revenue share and giving it 100% to the devs as they make money on just the hardware. Then they are spending money on smaller devs to come to their ecosystem and store.

I would say we should see change in real-time as this year goes on. If not well that would be a pretty big issue. Hopefully, that's not going to end up being the case.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There are tons of great indie VR games, if you only play AAA why buy a device that has very few, if any (I guess RE4 VR counts but it's more like a B game decades after the original)? Hook it up to a PC to expand your choices (still largely indie for VR for now). Unification and Presentiment of Death are some nice, unique, recent indie VR games. Into the Radius has been overhauled over the years and just got a new trailer to show that. Add a PC to the mix to play the likes of VTOL VR, Paradox of Hope, District Steel, Star Wars: Squadrons, all the ace Alyx mods or flight, racing and other sims. Also get the flat game VR mods by Dr. Beef and others on PC and Quest, some great stuff that feel as good as RE8. Follow the Quest thread as the VR/gaming media don't cover most of it and naturally looking for stuff blindly in any store doesn't work on any platform, not just Quest.
While it's pretty hype to get games from big developers & publishers like Sony for PSVR2, things like, for example, the Horizon game are pretty limited despite being AAA. I mean, it's a climbing game with some contained combat encounters and amazing production values while Windlands 2 is indie but is a full free roaming action adventure despite being a 5 year old VR game, with full online co-op to boot (though it only recently got ported to Quest natively and the player avatar legs look hilariously weird on it, you should look past that). Perhaps the larger studios feel obliged to keep trying to make baby's first VR game as if we don't have titles like Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, SuperHot VR, Walkabout Mini Golf etc. fill that role, even Alyx falls victim to this so many VR veterans love Half-Life 2 VR's pacing much more. Give indies a chance as whether in or out of VR they do match AAA often enough for the distinction to miss the point in terms of game quality (some times even visually as seen in Red Matter 2). Granted, stuff like RE8 or Alyx aren't gonna come from indies unless it's a mod to existing games, though Apex Construct did that style of game well years ahead.

Anyway, there's too much good stuff to ever list them all really, considering the constant releases, upcoming game/update/dlc announcements and the existing older VR games you haven't played as they now get even less coverage unless a sequel or port reminds of them, like Saints & Sinners which is over 3 years old already. Try getting out of your comfort zone more maybe, look past a game not being like your favorite flat game ever and just go enjoy an all new experience. There are even some neat Japanese made VR games like Dyschronia, RuinsMagus and Tale of Onogoro and I've mostly listed fancier stuff you can liken to traditional easy to get into games rather than some of the more unique experiences like Shores of Loci and various other cool puzzle games or less easy to get into stuff like the strategic Gods of Gravity or crazy early access gems like Bakemono.​

That's just PC gaming in a nutshell, Quest being PC exclusive means it will be limited to the same types of games it receives.
Idk where to begin with this post. Quest is PC exclusive? PC gaming only has indie games? What?

Last edited:
I believe Quest 20M is for all the headsets.

It's an impressive number, but I don't why you're using only one brand as representative of the medium failing.

Quest 2 didn't fail at all. What did it fail at?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Idk where to begin with this post. Quest is PC exclusive? PC gaming only has indie games? What?
PC exclusives are largely indie, aside from when Crysis came out and I guess Scam Citizen.

PC receives AAA games but they’re mostly all multiplatform, meaning Quest (being PC exclusive) would mainly receive indie, because that’s the type of developers that build exclusives for it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

PC exclusives are largely indie, aside from when Crysis came out and I guess Scam Citizen.

PC receives AAA games but they’re mostly all multiplatform, meaning Quest (being PC exclusive) would mainly receive indie, because that’s the type of developers that build exclusives for it.
?
Quest is it’s own ecosystem with it’s own games library and store, it’s just compatible with SteamVR.
And the PC games library isn’t limited to PC exclusivity. Everything you’re playing on console is on PC now, except Sony exclusives which come a bit later and Nintendo exclusives which come through emulators. It’s by far the platform with the most games, for VR and regular games.

Buggy Loop

There’s so many gems throughout the PC oculus store, stand-alone store and PCVR that I simply don’t have the time.

Buy Ancient Dungeon (PCVR or native Quest 2) goddamnit! It’s so fun.

Romulus

He's actually right, though not for the right reason, seems everyone here didn't read the original source article.

Quest 2 sold 20 million in 2 years. Year 1 it sold 10 million because the quest 2 chip is what Qualcomm cited. Year 2 they showed 20 million. Different chip than the quest 1, not to mention they specifically said quest 2. Quest 1 has been dead for awhile. They never even cited quest 1 numbers when it was the main headset for a reason.

Buggy Loop

50 cent laughing GIF

eye-tracking.gif

world.gif

08495a3fd2e50df8747bcb9ad013931f168addd4.gifv

ebd09ce02b4b9b7c3d59eb442ee6afe22f20d291.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Are you 'the magic is gone' guy?

Justin9mm

Setup airlink and start playing SteamVR games on your Quest 2 to give it a second lease on life. If you own a decent PC, ofc.

I haven't bought a stand alone quest app since RE4, everything else is much more enjoyable via Air Link with higher fidelity.
Exactly This!!

Quest 2 sold 20 million in 2 years. Year 1 it sold 10 million because the quest 2 chip is what Qualcomm cited. Year 2 they showed 20 million. Different chip than the quest 1, not to mention they specifically said quest 2. Quest 1 has been dead for awhile. They never even cited quest 1 numbers when it was the main headset for a reason.

The original quote never said Quest 2.

Romulus

The original quote never said Quest 2.

It's literally in this thread above and there have been several threads about it.

"Rabkin says that the Quest 2 has sold over 20 million units to date"

He did not mention any other headsets. Even Qualcomm mentioned the quest 2 shipped over 10 million of that chipset over a year ago. Again, nothing mentioned about quest 1 there either. That headset was dead a long time ago.

sendit

Imagine thinking the VR experience peaked at a standalone headset. Do your self a favor and connect your Quest 2 to a capable computer.

It's literally in this thread above and there have been several threads about it.

"Rabkin says that the Quest 2 has sold over 20 million units to date"

He did not mention any other headsets. Even Qualcomm mentioned the quest 2 shipped over 10 million of that chipset over a year ago. Again, nothing mentioned about quest 1 there either. That headset was dead a long time ago.

That isn't his quote from the original source.

The link above even itself links to the original source, he specifically says "headsets" not quest 2.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/28/23619730/meta-vr-oculus-ar-glasses-smartwatch-plans

ZehDon

Gold Member
The developers are there - what isn't there is 100 million customer install base of the console market. You can't invest AAA budgets into a relatively small platform. And it'll stay small because it involves strapping a computer to your face.

Quest 2 hedges its bets nicely because it's PC compatible. The games on Quest 2 are, actually, pretty good. Combined with the games available on PC? It has a massive library. Add in SideQuest content, and if you run out of things to do in VR it's not the platform's fault.

Iced Arcade

I own and enjoy my Quest 2 but I also understand VR is not replacing traditional gaming. Which doesn't mean it's a failure, it's just something different and in its own market.

It's portable, social, isn't isolated to just gaming.

Ozriel

M$FT
Quest 2 uses a relatively old mobile chip…you’re not going to get AAA type visuals from that. Most of the games there, the draw is immersiveness and fun…not about cutting edge visuals. And it works.

Still, you can get several full length titles on the device like Moss and RE4 VR, and most of what you deride as shovelware aren’t that at all.

It’ll be interesting to see how quest 3 exclusives fare, since it’ll have a large Leap over quest 2 in visuals.

Romulus

That isn't his quote from the original source.

The link above even itself links to the original source, he specifically says "headsets" not quest 2.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/2/28/23619730/meta-vr-oculus-ar-glasses-smartwatch-plans

That link doesn't look like a direct quote either. The other one says quest 2 specifically. Qualcomm said 10 million quest 2s at the halfway point so 20 million makes sense.

Not to mention, all other quest headsets have bombed by comparison so that's rly safe to say.

Last edited:

Reallink

They consistently funded quite a few Rift/PCVR games in the early years. Many of them had respectable budgets and were of generally high quality. I'm not sure who spearheaded that initiative or why it stopped, perhaps it was all credited to the Oculus founder's who've since been fired or quit. The saddest part is all those games across all those years combined didn't even cost a fraction of a fraction of what they've been flushing down the toilet every year since Quest 2, with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

Olimbox

Neo Member
after RE4 my quest2 was taking dust until I updated my PC. Now I only play AAA games in VR. I completed Elden Ring last week, on cyberpunk 2077 right now, hogwartz next.
Once developers will understand that adding a "simple" VR mode to their AAA games, even without motion controls, will make a big difference to people who own an headset but it's tired of crappy graphic

SeraphJan

Its the problem with VR since day one, the tech is ready, the developer are also ready, its the player base that's not.

The total player base of VR gaming is but a tiny proportion of conventional gaming, its a huge risk for developer, until the player base at least reach the fraction of conventional gaming, it will stay low budget indie games.

A good way to kickstart VR is to add VR as DLC for conventional triple A games, instead of making a full VR game from scratch, this will mitigate a lot of risk. Sony is actually going the right direction with its PSVR 2 strategy.

Last edited:
That link doesn't look like a direct quote either. The other one says quest 2 specifically. Qualcomm said 10 million quest 2s at the halfway point so 20 million makes sense.

Not to mention, all other quest headsets have bombed by comparison so that's rly safe to say.

I know you're being intentionally obtuse here but the other link was quoting the verge.

They made up the quote that wasn't in their own source article.

When you look up 20m sales, almost every source quotes the verge accurately and does not specify quest 2.

There is also only one other Quest headset, which did not bomb and it's success led to the 2nd. You're manufacturing fake facts.

Drizzlehell

Banned
People who say there aren't enough games for it aren't looking hard enough. Resident Evil 4? Bruh, that's just a good game that happened to be ported to VR, and even though it's a pretty solid VR shooter, sometimes it just obvious that it wasn't originally developed for the platform.

As for games that were built from ground up as VR titles, there's plenty of those on offer, and many of them are better VR games than RE4. Calling them "Wii shovelware" just because every game on it doesn't look like Half-Life Alyx is like saying that all triple-A games are amazing because they have higher budgets. Quest 2's mobile library has plenty of titles to keep you occupied for months, but that's not even scratching the surface because it can also pull a double duty as a PC VR headset. The amount of options you get there both from Steam library, PCVR-only games or source ports, mods, and other applications is just staggering.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Yes, i agree. i love it but the library sucks and the only redeeming factor is the fact that you can play PC games with it. Saving grace for me has been Half Life Alyx and some racing games, but other than that....nothing much.

Fredrik

Yes, i agree. i love it but the library sucks and the only redeeming factor is the fact that you can play PC games with it. Saving grace for me has been Half Life Alyx and some racing games, but other than that....nothing much.
Yup, it’s all about the library for me. I love some games but there just aren’t enough. The saving grace for me right now is modded Skyrim VR, I jumped back in and started playing it again, it’s old and full of jank but still awesome and far ahead of everything as a complete package. Would be awesome to do a full playthrough in VR but it would probably take a year for me, or more. I’m enjoying the starter quests though. It saddens me that Bethesda’s VR days are likely over now after MS bought them. 😞

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup, it’s all about the library for me. I love some games but there just aren’t enough. The saving grace for me right now is modded Skyrim VR, I jumped back in and started playing it again, it’s old and full of jank but still awesome and far ahead of everything as a complete package. Would be awesome to do a full playthrough in VR but it would probably take a year for me, or more. I’m enjoying the starter quests though. It saddens me that Bethesda’s VR days are likely over now after MS bought them. 😞
Is there really any doubt someone will mod TESVI to work with PC VR headsets though? Same with Starfield.

Danknugz

just wait until you login to the oculus store 5 years from now and see more or less the exact same 5 games that have been hyped up as "new" and "exciting" VR "experiences" since 2017. that was my experience up until about a year ago but haven't logged in since.

Romulus

I know you're being intentionally obtuse here but the other link was quoting the verge.

They made up the quote that wasn't in their own source article.

When you look up 20m sales, almost every source quotes the verge accurately and does not specify quest 2.

There is also only one other Quest headset, which did not bomb and it's success led to the 2nd. You're manufacturing fake facts.

The verge link specifically quotes other points in the article with quotations, the point you're talking about didn't even have quotations. That is not a direct quote.

Fb had planned a series of headsets from the beginning when they went all in with
VR. Saying the quest 1 was so successful it spawned quest 2 is wrong. There were even projections quest 1 did a full 1 million in sales. They were bragging about that because at the time VR wasn't doing well. It was only on the market 16 months before Quest 2.

All other quest headsets bombed comparatively.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Is there really any doubt someone will mod TESVI to work with PC VR headsets though? Same with Starfield.
If it happens it’ll never be as good as an official VR version, takes UI and interactivity tweaks to get it right.

The verge link specifically quotes other points in the article with quotations, the point you're talking about didn't even have quotations. That is not a direct quote.

Fb had planned a series of headsets from the beginning when they went all in with
VR. Saying the quest 1 was so successful it spawned quest 2 is wrong. There were even projections quest 1 did a full 1 million in sales. They were bragging about that because at the time VR wasn't doing well. It was only on the market 16 months before Quest 2.

All other quest headsets bombed comparatively.

There were only two quest headsets. Quest 1 lead to two directly because of it's success.

You are sitting here arguing about a made up nonexisting quote from Android central that's not in the report THEY sourced.

The verge got their info from people who SAW the presentation.

No one said anywhere that quest 2 sold over 20M.

At some point you have to use your brain and admit you're wrong.

The "presentation" said "nearly 20m headsets" were sold. You're believing manufactured info that's not even in what android central sourced. It wasn't even 20m even then.

Last edited:

Romulus

There were only two quest headsets. Quest 1 lead to two directly because of it's success.

You are sitting here arguing about a made up nonexisting quote from Android central that's not in the report THEY sourced.

The verge got their info from people who SAW the presentation.

No one said anywhere that quest 2 sold over 20M.

At some point you have to use your brain and admit you're wrong.

The "presentation" said "nearly 20m headsets" were sold. You're believing manufactured info that's not even in what android central sourced. It wasn't even 20m even then.

You just don't suddenly research and develop hardware, market, and have games ready to go 16 months after releasing previous hardware. Facebook has several headsets planned after Quest 3, and they're not even because of Quest 2's success. They're because they planned a long term investment.

I'm arguing a nonexisting quote? Where is the acutal quote you're talking about then? The one you linked has no quoations,, yet several other points in the same article do. If it was an actual quote from the guy, it would have been quoted....just like the others are.

It's always been "nearly 20 million sold" the point is you're tryng to wrangle in the Quest 1 like it was some mega success to supress the only successful headset. Even if Quest 1 did actually do 1 million, the quest 2 is still "nearly" at 20 million. You don't seem to understand that the best VR headsets did less than a million per year at that time, and there's no evidence from Meta Quest 1 was or they would have mentioned something.

Zuc even stated the Quest 2 was the first mainstream device a few months after release. They make a clear distinction between not just Quest 1, but all other headsets. I'm just saying you can lump in the Quest 1 and Quest pro if you like, it just doesn't mean anything.

CamHostage

Quest moving to Unreal Engine 5 as a near-mandate will lift that bar even higher being the market leaders. Especially for the Quest 3, but we should expect that most devs will take time before they get out of that phase.

Unfortunately, I don't think UE5 will make a significant difference in "lifting that bar" for VR game development. Maybe in terms of an ease of kitbashing Marketplace assets to create environmental density (though Nanite doesn't necessarily make it easier to have assets in volume, just that the geometry of what's there can be optimized) or in the "simpler" lighting process of Lumen (but realistically, the layout is not the challenge for good lighting,) maybe? Ultimately though, nothing of UE5's "power features" is what's keeping developers from making AAA-quality work in their VR projects. It's cost and manpower/talent that lets developers make games competitive with class leaders. Some games will use its advanced features, sure (particularly in next-gen headsets like PSVR2 and Quest 3,) but you can make a low-fi game in UE5 just as you can in UE4.

The transition to UE5 and sunsetting of UE4 likely has more to do with the support infrastructure and the pitch of the new development suite tools. If Epic is going to support VR at all, it's worth just going full out with the current version leaving the previous version on a hard-out, even if some users of Unreal Engine might be more comfortable or have systems working better on UE4. (UE5 has so much of UE4 underneath and has so many development tool enhancements that hopefully it's a net-positive transition; I have only read a few reports of significant issues transferring versions where functions have been sunsetted, and AFAIK none have been specific to what VR projects need, but then again, it's still an early point of transition.)

Some of what you call Wii shovel ware is actually incredibly fun. I throw my Quest 2 on daily just for a quick round of The Compound. Sometimes I'll go online and play against other people in Pavlov using available on Sidequest. I think I play my Quest right now more than any other system. Inexpensive games. Constant new, weird experiences on PC. Airplay works flawlessly for Steam VR games. Everyone complaining about there not being content don't know where to look.

sigmaZ

The funny thing is that the best way to make VR more legitimate would likely to be to have more games like Moss where it's an actual game and not just a gimmick or super involved tiring gameplay.

You just don't suddenly research and develop hardware, market, and have games ready to go 16 months after releasing previous hardware.

Quest 2 was literally an iteration of the original Quest also made to get around regulators without having to rerelease the Quest:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roadtovr.com/oculus-developing-s-quest-2-successor-report/amp/

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-oculus-quest-new-virtual-reality-headset-report-2020-5

Quest 1 also was successful from launch and made a lot of money:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-sales-data-demand-zuckerberg-facebook-earnings-call/

6a00d8341bf74053ef0240a4764dff200c-800wi

You are speaking Bs because you're trying to justify a poor source that misread its own original source and manufactured a false claim NO OTHER MAJOR SOURCE is repeating for the quest 2.

The verge said the "presentation" stated "nearly 20m headsets" not as you falsely claim "over 20m quest 2" it does not exist.

You're now trying to act like the quest 2 was equal to a new console launch instead of being an upgraded iteration to the first quest. Which is what it was.

It's always been "nearly 20 million sold" the point is you're tryng to wrangle in the Quest 1 like it was some mega success to supress the only successful headset. Even if Quest 1 did actually do 1 million, the quest 2 is still "nearly" at 20 million. You don't seem to understand that the best VR headsets did less than a million per year at that time,

I never did anything of the sort. Your original argument was garbage and inaccurate, so now you're sprinting backwards right into a wall:

Is what you originally said. All of it is fud.

Last edited:
The transition to UE5 and sunsetting of UE4 likely has more to do with the support infrastructure and the pitch of the new development suite tools. If Epic is going to support VR at all, it's worth just going full out with the current version leaving the previous version on a hard-out, even if some users of Unreal Engine might be more comfortable or have systems working better on UE4. (UE5 has so much of UE4 underneath and has so many development tool enhancements that hopefully it's a net-positive transition; I have only read a few reports of significant issues transferring versions where functions have been sunsetted, and AFAIK none have been specific to what VR projects need, but then again, it's still an early point of transition.)

This isn't an epic issue though, Epic is still dealing with U4, it's Quest specifically forcing a move to UE5.

Last edited:

CamHostage

This isn't an epic issue though, Epic is still dealing with U$, it's Quest specifically forcing a move to UE5.

Ah, read the formal Meta devblog now, got it.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/updates-developers-unreal-engine-5/

But even moreso that this move is about support. Meta gets to trim down the complications of VR Tech Support handling development problems if they set a hardline support level, and they can do that here with Quest 1 basically done and Quest 3 coming up.

Romulus

Quest 2 was literally an iteration of the original Quest also made to get around regulators without having to rerelease the Quest:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roadtovr.com/oculus-developing-s-quest-2-successor-report/amp/

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-oculus-quest-new-virtual-reality-headset-report-2020-5

Quest 1 also was successful from launch and made a lot of money:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-sales-data-demand-zuckerberg-facebook-earnings-call/

6a00d8341bf74053ef0240a4764dff200c-800wi

You are speaking Bs because you're trying to justify a poor source that misread its own original source and manufactured a false claim NO OTHER MAJOR SOURCE is repeating for the quest 2.

The verge said the "presentation" stated "nearly 20m headsets" not as you falsely claim "over 20m quest 2" it does not exist.

You're now trying to act like the quest 2 was equal to a new console launch instead of being an upgraded iteration to the first quest. Which is what it was.

I never did anything of the sort. Your original argument was garbage and inaccurate, so now you're sprinting backwards right into a wall:

Is what you originally said. All of it is fud.

Your entire point is funny because you don't even have a quote. You're citing an article that summarized a quote at best. There are actual quotes in the article you posted, but you don't even acknowledge that.
Ok yeah, when I saw superdata graph I stopped reading. Superdata is wildly inaccurate. Anyone using that to make any point can just make it to someone else. PSVR1 was already dying by then and nothing else on that list is doing anything. Now it makes sense. You use "quotes" to drive your points that aren't even quotes and superdata.

And even if those numbers were 100% accurate, those are a complete joke to the 20 million sold that we're hearing now. 340k at its launch window? That proves my point even more. So essentially Quest 2 is doing even more than I thought if we take your verge "quote" as gospel. Since none of these quotes seem to be direct, it's easy to say Quest 2 has sold close to 20 million still.

Last edited:
Top Bottom