• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest 2 and 3 outsold PSVR 2 on Amazon over the Holiday Season

sncvsrtoip

Thats a good point, I got my PSVR2 from Gamestop,
I also got the Quest 3 from Gamestop.

Thinking about it, Sony should(needs) to do things.
1. Backwards compatibility with PSVR 1 games.
2. Redesign the headset with Pancake lenses and much brighter OLED (or go LCD if OLED brightness not enough)
3. Connect with PC both Wireless and Wirelessly. No special store, allow 3rd party app like Steam VR connect.
4. It's too late to make it stand alone capable. (since a redesign is needed might as well make it a whole new skew)
5. Market it as an VR device that the PS5 just so happens to work on the PS5.
6. Allow other devices to work on the PS5. (Quest 3 could also work on a PS5).
Nah, Sony imo just need 2 things 1) majority of its titles(lou1,2, killzone, returnal, days gone etc) convert to psvr2 in similar way as village and re4r was converted by capcom, 2) decrease price

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Is the Quest 3 good?
It's my second VR headset and I love it. Ended upgrading to the 512gb model. My first VR headset was the terrible PSVR. It got me sick and the games looked like ass. The jump in quality from PSVR1 to Quest 3 is insane and I've done a complete 180 on how I feel about VR. Having an untethered experience is very important, IMO, and Quest 3 is also a killer untethered PCVR experience when using network streaming. It's just a great all-around product, IMO.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's my second VR headset and I love it. Ended upgrading to the 512gb model. My first VR headset was the terrible PSVR. It got me sick and the games looked like ass. The jump in quality from PSVR1 to Quest 3 is insane and I've done a complete 180 on how I feel about VR. Having an untethered experience is very important, IMO, and Quest 3 is also a killer untethered PCVR experience when using network streaming. It's just a great all-around product, IMO.
Agreed. The only time I don’t mind being tethered is when sitting on my couch and surfing the web, watching videos, or playing Xbox game pass. All while in passthrough mode, so I can still see my surroundings. I have two little ones and 4 pets. So it’s kind of important to see where everyone is at.

When I’m alone is when I can get up from the couch and play the VR games that are best played untethered.

Nah, Sony imo just need 2 things 1) majority of its titles(lou1,2, killzone, returnal, days gone etc) convert to psvr2 in similar way as village and re4r was converted by capcom, 2) decrease price
This might become more a thing with Unreal games. The Unreal VR injector mod on PC get you halfway there on most titles. But it still requires a work getting controls and viewpoints set.
I am still new to doing this on PC, but I can see community downloadable settings for each game becoming a thing. Sony could just ask developers to option a VR mode built in ready. Maybe pay an extra 10 bucks for it?

MarkMe2525

Quest - potential market of 7 billion people.

PSVR2 - potential market of 50 million PS5 owners.

Only a tiny proportion of PSVR2 owners bought from Amazon anyway.

Big potential selection bias issues with a poll like this. While it certainly is a valid data point, I would avoid making any definitive statements using this.

Mephisto40

I just had a check on Amazon, and they are charging £529 for the PSVR2 in the UK

Is it just me, or has it had a substantial price increase? Could have sworn it was £450 when it was released

I loved my PSVR1, but the PSVR2 quite clearly didn't have the support it needed when it released, which stopped me buying it

There are a few games I'd like to try on the PSVR2, but that £529 price tag just makes it impossible for me to warrant the investment with the games available

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Personally every co-worker/friend/family I've talked to about VR prefers one that can connect to Steam because of the large library. I don't know a single person interested in VR that even entertains the notion of one exclusive to a console.

MwGl1Y1.gif

Romulus

Quest 3 is an awesome emulation device too. I have most all my ps2, n64, 3ds, psp library on there. Psp actually plays many games in full VR. No pc needed. 3ds plays on a giant screen but the image is in 3d. Playing ocarina of time like that at high resolution is just amazing.
Switch emulator is improving all the time with several games playable.

You can also watch movies in 3d in an app called bigscreen. Really feels like you're in a theater with a dozen ppl or more. The environment lighting changes depending on what's onscreen. I've watched several for free.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It’s great. It’s 10x better if you can connect it to a pc and use Steam as well.

Quest 3 standalone - 8/10
Quest 3 with PC - 10/10
Much better than Quest 2? Here Quest 3 costs more than double than Quest 2. Is it worth it?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

And that's exactly my point. Sony paid Capcom for VR mode of RE.

Also, I would like an article about PSVR2 profitability in terms of hardware sales. :p
The estimated BoM is that it's sold at profit (Sony manufacturers most of the components), so as long as it keeps selling, and considering we are only in its 1st year, it's a win for them.
Also, for its 1st year, we had a lot of software!
Horizon, RE, GT7, NMS.
More than the PS5 in 2023.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The poll was taken in December, way out from the pre-order phase.

Besides, it was only exclusively available on PS Direct in limited countries for a limited time. So certainly not moot.

Take PS Direct out of the equation and Amazon still only accounts for less than 1/3 of retail sales.

That poll covers lifetime sales, and much of the sales seem to be concentrated at the launch window. Nearly 70% of the week 1- 6 sales volumes were sold in the first week. You’d imagine that’s Mostly from PS Direct due to exclusivity.
you can clearly see that sales are tailing off in the chart below.

Ja1th7s.jpg

it’s unlikely Amazon is an outlier compared to other retail networks.

Take a look at the PSVR2 2023 downloads charts. Beat Saber and Job Simulator featuring among the top 10 (when people migrating from PSVR to PSVR2 had free upgrades which aren’t counted) suggests strong growth over last generation.

Has it set the gaming world alight? Clearly not. But all the doom and gloom feels misplaced.

Unless there’s been a major change either in price, or a major new system seller introduced to the market, the only indicator we have now is that growth has slowed.

I agree there’s no need for doom and gloom. It’s performing worse than I’d have expected going into the gen (it’s a fantastic bit of hardware), but undeniably it’s struggling against the Quest 2/3 for clear reasons. No PCVR compatibility, the cost of the device, its tethered (requiring a PS5) and most of the top games on PSVR2 are ports from Quest.

Sony has three levers to play with here. A reduction in price, PCVR compatibility and more robust first party support. Best they get on that before Valve’s Deckard shows up with HL Alyx as a launch title + SteamOS.

Best they get on that before Valve’s Deckard shows up with HL Alyx as a launch title + SteamOS.
The Deckard rumors have be believing I'm going to probly rebuy all my VR games again on Valves new device.
It's the exclusive problem all over again.
Sony making Resident Evil Village and Meta making Asgards Wrath 2 exclusive just sour the VR experience.

Last edited:
Just as expected.

VR will succeed only either in business area (where of course nobody needs PSVR2) or cheap (like Oculus). That's basically it. And Oculus being cheap means losing tons of money. And even then there is no guarantee it will succeed either.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sony should start bundling PSVR2 with consoles. either that or significant price drops to make it about on the same level price wise as a switch Lite.

As a 550 dollar device that needs a PS5 to run..... it's not working.

R6Rider

Gold Member

The other shoe is starting to drop. RecRoom dev just revealed they will not be porting to PSVR2 as the economic opportunity is just not there. Just one dev team, but this is also one of the most successful VR experiences to ever come out. The lack of PSVR2 adoption is starting to effect investment.
They're clearing not telling the whole story.

They are porting RecRoom to the fucking Apple Vision Pro which makes even less sense.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This makes absolutely no sense. At all.
The product was DOA..... it would not sell enough for Sony to justify resources to support and 3rd party to support.

On PC there is already a vast array of products that make investing in a VR headset a worthwhile venture.

Ogbert

I own a PSVR2.

I recently tried the Quest 3.

The lack of a lead is such a huge change.

I will be swapping.

Ogbert

I love Sony for trying push the medium forward, but the lack of backwards compatibility is a killer.

It just doesn’t offer enough.

Reallink

They are porting RecRoom to the fucking Apple Vision Pro which makes even less sense.

The whole story is they're projecting growth and investment from Apple, and not Sony. Additionally, Apple customers (and quadrupely so Vision Pro customers) famously outspend every other user base many times over cause so many of them are affluent with mountains of discretionary spending cash from their $300K+/yr household incomes.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

One is these platforms has shown extreme stagnation in the marketplace and the other is unproven, but has extreme potential due to the apple brand. We can for sure speculate, but the statement I referenced is directly from the horses mouth. Do with that what you will.

I love Sony for trying push the medium forward, but the lack of backwards compatibility is a killer.

It just doesn’t offer enough.
The announcement of no BC completely killed my hype :(

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fuck me. That's an absolute massacre.

3.2 percent of sales. They should have made it pcvr compatible and it probably needed to be wireless.

I don't think that would have made any significant difference. The Quest headsets sell so well primarily because you don't need a PC at all. The original PSVR outsold all the PC headsets that came before it, but then got crushed by the Quest 2.

Fredrik

just needs more games.
Goes for VR in general tbh. Quest 3 need that too. And PSVR2 need 1st party AAA games. And they could release a pankake lens slim with PC connectivity and Steam VR support. If that doesn’t increase sales then nothing will.

Hero_Select

i would have bought PSVR2 instead of the Quest 3 if it were compatible with PCVR because it's got a few great exclusives.. but I'm not spending that money on somethign locked down on the PS5 when I can just easily and comfortably hop around wireless and full-blown PC games

NickFire

We have no complaints about the VR2 in my house. But we also got it cheap because we traded in a bunch of stuff. Between price of PS5 and VR2, it is a very expensive proposition for sure if you are paying cash.

leo-j

I mean they had holiday season sales for PSVR back in the day, they didn’t event promote the vr2 for the holiday season.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Quest is by far the best all-arounder VR. It’s the most convenient, has the biggest install base, so the most support, and wireless PCVR is the cherry on top. Beyond that, PrayDog and Team Beef are the MVPs of the VR realm. You’ll never lack amazing VR content thanks to them.

R6Rider

Gold Member
One is these platforms has shown extreme stagnation in the marketplace and the other is unproven, but has extreme potential due to the apple brand. We can for sure speculate, but the statement I referenced is directly from the horses mouth. Do with that what you will.
One is a much more expensive than the other and even more niche.

What they have said and what they are doing don't exactly align. Horses mouth of a developer isn't exactly the best example of anything as we've seen many times in the past.

Granted that doesn't go along with many narratives many choose to push.

kiphalfton

The referral system on Quest 2 and Quest 3 is a nice incentive. Also pricing on Quest 2 makes it a no brainer if you are interested in VR. Cost of the PSVR2 is too much, and of course it's wired so there's that.

MarkMe2525

One is a much more expensive than the other and even more niche.

What they have said and what they are doing don't exactly align. Horses mouth of a developer isn't exactly the best example of anything as we've seen many times in the past.

Granted that doesn't go along with many narratives many choose to push.
Short sighted to believe they are just developing this for the current iteration of the Vision Pro. They are getting in on the ground floor for a new platform from one of the most popular brands on the planet.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Short sighted to believe they are just developing this for the current iteration of the Vision Pro. They are getting in on the ground floor for a new platform from one of the most popular brands on the planet.
Never said that. You're missing the entire point of what I brought up.

Top Bottom