• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions is out of early access on Steam

VN1X

Banned
Oh wow, they finally did it. 😅

Been playing since the initial early access release and even though it's not really getting any significant support any more I was wondering when they'd finally push it out of EA.

Now where are my steam trading cards and badges at?

anthony2690

Banned
It's been early access all these years? I'm confused haha.

Apparently it is coming to Xbox as well.

I wonder if Microsoft will port to playstation and add crossplay too, like they did with the quake remaster.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
LOL you go to the steam link and it tells you, that you need that AIDS of a login to Bethesda shit.
I just tried it and managed to play a match without doing any of that. Launched the game, it asked me for a nick name (no account creation) and that was it.

I played DOOM Eternal previously on this same machine and Steam account so who knows, maybe everything was already linked between Steam and Bethesda and that's why it was so seamless for me.

Last edited:

Shifty

Animated GIF

I remember trying to get a friend into this. A couple of minutes in and we realized it was just us, all the other players were bots :messenger_frowning_

Though that may well have been down to netcode nonsense rather than playercount - it was real rough in the early days.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I can't believe it's finally out of EA. There was a point where I played this a GREAT deal. I had a good amount of fun with it for awhile.
I played the shit out of it in ea and it was really fun but sabre and ID left it to die.
Yeah, it's sad. Saber's contract with it was fulfilled, so they moved on, which is standard. The thing that bummed me out is that id DID still work on it, however it's straight up like 3-5 people. So the updates were EXTREMELY minimal.

Though I never really agreed with the "Champion" thing in a Quake game, it was still pretty fun. I just think the saddest part is that there was still so much potential. Should've been more characters, more maps, more modes, etc. But for whatever reason, they called it when they called it. No idea why.

It was also marketed EXTREMELY poorly, it was in EA for the LONGEST time, and SO many people didn't even know it existed. Strange stuff all around honestly.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
This was in early access all this time? Had no idea. Good game, but I'm still playing Q1, though.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Oh damn, got hyped because I wanted a shooter to play AGAINST some friends but seems this is dead, am I right? Is there a chance it gets a second life due to it being on Steam and Xbox App?

Mess

Though I never really agreed with the "Champion" thing in a Quake game, it was still pretty fun. I just think the saddest part is that there was still so much potential. Should've been more characters, more maps, more modes, etc. But for whatever reason, they called it when they called it. No idea why.
Ye the whole *champion* thing always felt off but they wanted to promote quake as their esport and had to find the way to allow new players in. OG quakers were just too good at item control and had been playing some maps (cough q3dm6) for 20 years.

MiguelItUp

Ye the whole *champion* thing always felt off but they wanted to promote quake as their esport and had to find the way to allow new players in. OG quakers were just too good at item control and had been playing some maps (cough q3dm6) for 20 years.
Right? Yeah, true. Exactly, haha. I remember they did say at one point that you could disable abilities to make it play like classic Quake. But I'm not even sure they got that far?

I was genuinely surprised they didn't just take all popular Quake maps and add them in. I mean, make it a game that celebrates Quake. Add all the big Q1, Q2, and Q3 maps. They eventually did that for Quake's anniversary. But I don't understand why such an easy get didn't happen sooner. I mean, now Q2DM1? Come on man. :\

Mess

Right? Yeah, true. Exactly, haha. I remember they did say at one point that you could disable abilities to make it play like classic Quake. But I'm not even sure they got that far?

I was genuinely surprised they didn't just take all popular Quake maps and add them in. I mean, make it a game that celebrates Quake. Add all the big Q1, Q2, and Q3 maps. They eventually did that for Quake's anniversary. But I don't understand why such an easy get didn't happen sooner. I mean, now Q2DM1? Come on man. :\

Well they kept the champions but at least reverted the duel format to no rounds and with time limit

MiguelItUp

Well they kept the champions but at least reverted the duel format to no rounds and with time limit
Yeah, very true. I just remember being VERY excited about the whole being able to disable abilities thing. But I grew to accept them just fine. :)

jaysius

Banned
I just tried it and managed to play a match without doing any of that. Launched the game, it asked me for a nick name (no account creation) and that was it.

I played DOOM Eternal previously on this same machine and Steam account so who knows, maybe everything was already linked between Steam and Bethesda and that's why it was so seamless for me.
Thanks for trying it out, was it easy to get a game? Was it fun?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Thanks for trying it out, was it easy to get a game? Was it fun?
Sure, I clicked "quick play", picked the modes I wanted to try (dm and tdm out of like 8 or so) and waited for like 20 seconds.

It was kinda fun but the weapon feedback sidn't feel too "meaty". Gotta play some more tho, aside from that it was fun.

Smokken

Banned
Oh damn, got hyped because I wanted a shooter to play AGAINST some friends but seems this is dead, am I right? Is there a chance it gets a second life due to it being on Steam and Xbox App?
I would recommend Diabotical on Epic store, it's free and a blast with friends. Plays VERY similar to old school quake 3. The playerbase in general is almost dead, but awesome with a group of friends.

Mess

I would recommend Diabotical on Epic store, it's free and a blast with friends. Plays VERY similar to old school quake 3. The playerbase in general is almost dead, but awesome with a group of friends.

Diabotical feels aweful to play and damn these models/hibox. Reflex was actually a way better try to revive the quake scene but the vq3 players disliked aircontrol too much :messenger_crying:

Quakelive is still king and actually has players.

jaysius

Banned
I waited for over a minute and I couldn't find a match. It just gave me a connection error... oh well. I played it with bots, and had enough of the weird characters with different skills, they really didn't need to shoehorn that shit into Quake.

They really should have worked on putting this on Xbox and maybe that would have brought a different kind of community to it, ANY community at all.

Last edited:
Ya Quake Champions is a different take on the traditional game. Alot of games i played in the champion ability were disabled so it was no hero abilities just straight fragging

shaddam

I have around 320 hours in the game, I still suck, but I sometimes enjoy it. I dont think new players will stick to the game, because they will die a lot.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Enough stick to the topic. Any further political details will be removed.

Top Bottom