• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyre - Review Thread

No announcements as of yet. They have never put one of their games on Nintendo consoles before either.

that's the thing too funny enough, on my Switch this would be an insta-buy. That has become my gaming machine and lord knows with the drought of single player games right now a solid indie game like this would be perfect for it as I travel.

Xe4

Banned
I think this would go well on the Switch, and generally they try to port to as many places as possible (mobile, all consoles possible, etc). If the market is there, I think it's likely they'll port it (just speculation on my part).

Dartastic

No announcements as of yet. They have never put one of their games on Nintendo consoles before either.

that's the thing too funny enough, on my Switch this would be an insta-buy. That has become my gaming machine and lord knows with the drought of single player games right now a solid indie game like this would be perfect for it as I travel.
Yep. Pretty much. I've got plenty of stuff to play right now, and I don't really see a change in that anytime soon. Sigh.

It feels disingenuous to even try and write words about Pyre, another Supergiant masterpiece. I don’t feel that my prose can even begin to match the resplendent beauty that permeates this journey through the Downside.

Then perhaps another person should've written the review if this person didn't feel they were up to the task? It's this type of prose that pretty much sums up all that's wrong with game reviews.
Way to miss the point. Good job.

bounchfx

What a surprise, already with the Switch port begging.

because it's a fucking rad system that allows many of us to game during times where we might not normally be able to game?

relax
we're gonna be around for a while, shit's just getting goin'

Slixshot

Banned

Yep. Pretty much. I've got plenty of stuff to play right now, and I don't really see a change in that anytime soon. Sigh.

They managed Transistor on iOS, so I imagine a Supergiant Collection on Switch would be both possible and successful.

I'm right there with you! I'd buy Pyre on Switch in a heartbeat. I wonder if it's possible to play with one joycon and you could do splitscreen with one device.

Karak

Reviews are pretty decent to great.

ACG saying is a buy is a huge plus, he's my boy and all... but unfortunately if I buy the game now I wouldn't give it the attention it deserves. So I might have to wait until a PC/Steam sale and get it then. Or wait until I beat FFXII and if there is a gap and I want to play something, this would be next.

ACG said around the same for story length, so 12+ hours seems like a good bet.
Correct and could be longer really depending on a couple choices you make in team makeup as well as how well you do later on. Absolutely love the system they put in place.

Tesser

Our writer at HardcoreGamer gave it a 4/5:

Pyre represents another solid effort from Supergiant, as the awe-inspiring world, both in terms of design and depth, coupled with a lovable cast of heroes and villains, continue the studio’s renowned streak for titles with big heart and unique gameplay. The repetitive and overly-lengthy nature of the campaign, as well as a lackluster versus mode, holds the title back from reaching the same heights as its predecessors, but those looking for an original universe and an uplifting tale will be hard-pressed to find a deeper and better-looking game this year.

Thanks for posting it sir
Your review really got me excited to explore the RPG side and the rites. Fewer skills but them being significant gamechangers for how you play sounds like the kinds of decisions I like to make

Would you agree with the sentiment of "it's like FFT disguised as combat soccer" that I saw mentioned on GAF?

Profanity

Correct and could be longer really depending on a couple choices you make in team makeup as well as how well you do later on. Absolutely love the system they put in place.

Do you recommend jumping in at heightened difficulty, or would it be preferable to learn the ropes with standard at first? You mentioned that heightened brings with it additional tactical considerations.

Not in the least.

The reviewer could have conveyed his great appreciation and love for the game in far less eye-rollingly "purple prose" and it would have been just as impactful.
He did. In the rest of the review that came before the closing paragraph

poodaddy

because it's a fucking rad system that allows many of us to game during times where we might not normally be able to game?

relax
we're gonna be around for a while, shit's just getting goin'

You can legitimize it anyway you wish but it's still port begging and it's still annoying, not to mention against TOS.

Wonderful - couldn't make much sense of this during the intial reveal, but given the 10% preorder bonus, I'm in. Eurogamer does not give out Essential status very often

Noice. As expected. Haven't played Bastion yet, but Transistor is one of my favorite games ever. I'll definitely pick this up at some point.

Lady Gaia

Supergiant has been solidly in line with my tastes and a welcome source of some real originality and risk-taking in games. I pre-ordered a while back and eagerly look forward to diving in tonight!

I still don't understand the mp being local only

it doesn't seem like it's a pick up and play game that casual gamers can easily get the hang of in a few minutes and actually compete with people who are buying the game and what happens with the pc version?

I think this would go well on the Switch, and generally they try to port to as many places as possible (mobile, all consoles possible, etc). If the market is there, I think it's likely they'll port it (just speculation on my part).

Transistor is available on PS4, PC and iOS. That's it, no Xbox One, Android, Vita or Wii U. I wouldn't consider it that likely, nor do I think this is the place to port beg, it's derailing the thread.

Anyway, looking great. I can't buy it on day one but I probably will in 2-3 weeks.

kasavin

I still don't understand the mp being local only

Really appreciate the kind words in this thread, and I and all of us are very happy to see the overall response so far.

I wanted to address this point about online play. The simple way to understand is we're a team of 12 people and have to make specific choices about the scope of our game.

We chose to focus first and foremost on the single-player campaign. We've had a blast with Versus Mode as well and think you'll find it's very feature-rich for what it is. But we stopped short of chasing after online play. I think games with bad online play are worse than games with no online play. Games that do online multiplayer well by 2017 standards have online multiplayer as the sole focus of the project, or at least the main focus; or are made by teams many times bigger than ours. It was just not the right choice for this project in our opinion, which was already our biggest project by far. We know some reviews would ding us for it and so on but we like Versus Mode so much for what it is (even take strictly as a single-player mode) that we went for it anyway. We'll see what everyone says though.

Kremzeek

the art style and graphics and animation look sooooo coooooooool but i don't know about playing a sports game.

i'm torn :(

will probably wait for cheap.

Xe4

Banned
Transistor is available on PS4, PC and iOS. That's it, no Xbox One, Android, Vita or Wii U. I wouldn't consider it that likely, nor do I think this is the place to port beg, it's derailing the thread.

Anyway, looking great. I can't buy it on day one but I probably will in 2-3 weeks.
I don't even own a Switch, haha. Nor do I plan on ever really getting one. I was simply responding to those who were asking on what I personally thought the likelyhood is.

Really appreciate the kind words in this thread, and I and all of us are very happy to see the overall response so far.

I wanted to address this point about online play. The simple way to understand is we're a team of 12 people and have to make specific choices about the scope of our game.

We chose to focus first and foremost on the single-player campaign. We've had a blast with Versus Mode as well and think you'll find it's very feature-rich for what it is. But we stopped short of chasing after online play. I think games with bad online play are worse than games with no online play. Games that do online multiplayer well by 2017 standards have online multiplayer as the sole focus of the project, or at least the main focus; or are made by teams many times bigger than ours. It was just not the right choice for this project in our opinion, which was already our biggest project by far. We know some reviews would ding us for it and so on but we like Versus Mode so much for what it is (even take strictly as a single-player mode) that we went for it anyway. We'll see what everyone says though.

Wait you can play Versus against AI? That's reassuring then. Thanks for all the posts

kasavin

Wait you can play Versus against AI? That's reassuring then.

Yeah, and there are multiple difficulty settings and other ways to scale it (so the better you get the harder you can make it on yourself if you want). We put a lot into the AI for this game since it's so vital to making the campaign opponents feel distinct and put up an appropriate challenge, so it made sense to include the option to play against AI in Versus Mode as well. Several of us come from working on real-time strategy games where 'skirmish' type modes against the AI tends to be a popular way to play, so we wanted that type of experience here too.

Qwyjibo

The only time I pre-order games is if there is a significant discount (or price error) for doing so. Except for Supergiant games, it seems.

After Bastion, I was perfectly fine with paying full price for Transistor and it was an awesome experience. This time, I even pre-ordered the damn soundtrack along with the game. I know I could wait for the Fall/Winter Steam sale but whatever, these guys have earned this kind of faith in their work. I'm glad that it looks like Pyre will be another critical success.

I can't wait to listen to the soundtrack, oh and play the game too.

Karak

Do you recommend jumping in at heightened difficulty, or would it be preferable to learn the ropes with standard at first? You mentioned that heightened brings with it additional tactical considerations.

I am sure someone would be fine with the harder difficulty at the start. But I just felt it was fine as is

Your review really got me excited to explore the RPG side and the rites. Fewer skills but them being significant gamechangers for how you play sounds like the kinds of decisions I like to make

Would you agree with the sentiment of "it's like FFT disguised as combat soccer" that I saw mentioned on GAF?
That is probably the most round about way to discuss it but sure lol:)

Memory

Yeah, and there are multiple difficulty settings and other ways to scale it (so the better you get the harder you can make it on yourself if you want). We put a lot into the AI for this game since it's so vital to making the campaign opponents feel distinct and put up an appropriate challenge, so it made sense to include the option to play against AI in Versus Mode as well. Several of us come from working on real-time strategy games where 'skirmish' type modes against the AI tends to be a popular way to play, so we wanted that type of experience here too.

This is gospel, the biggest mistake you can make in a game is fail to make a vs AI option when the game can facilitate it. For example Tokyo 42's vs mode is dead already but they could have easily added bots to it to make it worth while.

Pre-ordered, waiting for that unlock :).

Have any reviewers said anything about the preferred control method?

Roussow

This is a bit off-topic, but I've started Transistor like 4 times, the fourth being yesterday preceding Pyre's launch. I'm struggling to get into the combat here. I love the amount of customisation with the abilties, and their variable passive and active traits. But it's hard to find a flow in this game. The time stop ability is very neat, but I feel like you're just waiting for it to come off cooldown just to repeat it, real time combat feels really sloppy. It's a real shame, because the world seems super neat, and the game looks gorgeous, and holy fuck that soundtrack is perfect. Curious to see if Pyre is going to feel like a slog to me, too, or whether it really works for me after all.

Maybe I just need to commit to Transistor and really get into it, it's not a lengthy game. Never played Bastion either.

Top Bottom