• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyre - Review Thread

This is a bit off-topic, but I've started Transistor like 4 times, the fourth being yesterday preceding Pyre's launch. I'm struggling to get into the combat here. I love the amount of customisation with the abilties, and their variable passive and active traits. But it's hard to find a flow in this game. The time stop ability is very neat, but I feel like you're just waiting for it to come off cooldown just to repeat it, real time combat feels really sloppy. It's a real shame, because the world seems super neat, and the game looks gorgeous, and holy fuck that soundtrack is perfect. Curious to see if Pyre is going to feel like a slog to me, too, or whether it really works for me after all.

Maybe I just need to commit to Transistor and really get into it, it's not a lengthy game. Never played Bastion either.
Bastion is one of my favorite games of all time. Transistor, while I enjoy, does not hold as fond of a place. If you've tried this many times and you can't get through, I would call it and move on. However, please do give Bastion a try. It is amazing in all regards. One of the sexiest, loveliest narrators you'll ever listen to, making all sounds entering your ears after sound like rusty cogs grinding against a chalkboard. The battle system is responsive and quick too, and probably right up your alley considering what you've said about Transistor.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

This wait is killing me.

Watching Pyre’s emotionally gripping story unfold, precisely and enjoyably punctuated by exciting, tactical, real-time battles, is to witness just about everything I look for in a video game executed all but flawlessly. Developer Supergiant’s latest is an experience on par with watching a world-class musician perform a difficult piece with equal parts talent and soul. And speaking of which, the music is superb.

i wish all indie devs are like supergiant...

i really love 2D games and i think supergiant games will age really well even 10 years from now due to strong 2D art.......and supergiant seems to be that last bastion (pun intended) of hope of high quality 2D graphics...

most indie seems to be either chasing pixel art or retro 8bit/16bit art-style or rudimentary 3D graphics.....Supergiant games's graphics are what i called 'current-gen 2D games'.

Xe4

Banned
Damn at the 9.7 from IGN.

The crazy thing is that the type of game this was looking to be, I really didn't imagine it getting these kind of scores. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it would've been amazing, but I think the concept is really hard to sell. Most people even on GAF were kind of "eeehhhh..." on the gameplay shown in threads. The fact that Supergiant pulled it off as well as they did given the gameplay being so unconventional is nothing short of incredible.

Damn at the 9.7 from IGN.

The crazy thing is that the type of game this was looking to be, I really didn't imagine it getting these kind of scores. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it would've been amazing, but I think the concept is really hard to sell. Most people even on GAF were kind of "eeehhhh..." on the gameplay shown in threads. The fact that Supergiant pulled it off as well as they did given the gameplay being so unconventional is nothing short of incredible.
I think the issue is that people see something that looks like a multiplayer sports game and just kind of dismiss offhand or just assume it's not for them,

I think if it was turn-based, people would be much more open to the concept/gameplay

Zackat

I think the issue is that people see something that looks like a multiplayer sports game and just kind of dismiss offhand or just assume it's not for them,

I think if it was turn-based, people would be much more open to the concept/gameplay

the fact that I have read a few reviews that liken it to NBA Jam is enough for me

Xe4

Banned

I have to admit, even as a huge fan of Supergiant (both Bastion and Transistor were my GOTY their respective years, and Transistor is easily in my top 10), I was a bit more reserved for this game. I've never been a fan of sports games, so I was a bit worried about the gameplay, and still am a little.

But I think that's part of what makes this game, and Supergiant, special. Not only are they willing to step far outside their comfort zone each new game they make, they're willing to take a concept that is cool but seems weird to most (in the case of Pyre and Transistor, at least) and work it so that a bunch of people end up really liking it. It helps people like me open their horizons to different genres and styles of play.

big_z

Really want to play this on playstation but funds are bit tight right now. Don't understand why there's a $5 sony tax...

This is a bit off-topic, but I've started Transistor like 4 times, the fourth being yesterday preceding Pyre's launch. I'm struggling to get into the combat here. I love the amount of customisation with the abilties, and their variable passive and active traits. But it's hard to find a flow in this game. The time stop ability is very neat, but I feel like you're just waiting for it to come off cooldown just to repeat it, real time combat feels really sloppy. It's a real shame, because the world seems super neat, and the game looks gorgeous, and holy fuck that soundtrack is perfect. Curious to see if Pyre is going to feel like a slog to me, too, or whether it really works for me after all.
I mean, I think that's sorta the point. The game is pretty much turn-based, but your turn has a cooldown and you have to survive. In fact, if I recall correctly, you can't even use all of your abilities while not in your turn. It seems like you don't really enjoy the turn-based combat.
You should try Bastion, since it's real time combat all the way through. A bit less variety than Transistor, but there are quite a few different weapons to try.

Game looking like it's an arena sports game is a major turn-off for me. Multiplayer arena games are very repetitive, have non-existent story and (usually) don't have very much polish put into them. For me it feels like arena games are completely devoid of meaningful content, so I never could get into games like Overwatch. So pretty much exact opposite of what I've come to expect from a Supergiant game and why I love their games so much.

I'm hyped for this game, but it's not because of marketing material. It's because I trust Supergiant to make something beautiful. The sports arena combat only reduced my hype, but was not enough to deflate it. Still pre-ordered the game. There are very few developers I buy games blindly from, but Supergiant games is one of them.

Game looking like it's an arena sports game is a major turn-off for me. Multiplayer arena games are very repetitive, have non-existent story and (usually) don't have very much polish put into them. For me it feels like arena games are completely devoid of meaningful content, so I never could get into games like Overwatch. So pretty much exact opposite of what I've come to expect from a Supergiant game and why I love their games so much.
Going by the reviews, you're probably going to really like this because most everyone is praising the intricate story, the world, the tough meaningful choices you have to make, and how those choices influence the gameplay ahd story

MisterR

Yeah. Logic: New system has few games, owners of new system want more games, ask devs to ports more games.

SHOCKING.

It diverts discussion in every thread it's started in and is annoying as hell. You want games start a petition or contact the devs. Don't shit up every thread on the forum.

Mikey Jr.

This is me.

I have dismissed this game purely from a gameplay stand point.

These reviews are making me questions that stance though to be honest. But it is a VERY big hurdle for me right now.

Will put this on the future purchase list. The reviews are enough to confirm that I will indeed buy this. July-August is the backlog period.

ryushe

This was me. I was totally uninterested when I thought it was a sports game, but when I found out it was turn-based and from Super Giant no less, I was in.

Permanently A

Supergiant with another classic it seems. The gameplay seems very unique - I don't know if I will like it but I'm definitely going to give it a chance.

Question: is there a narrator in this game like the previous two?

Xe4

Banned
Supergiant with another classic it seems. The gameplay seems very unique - I don't know if I will like it but I'm definitely going to give it a chance.

Question: is there a narrator in this game like the previous two?

Sort of. There's one guy that kind of talks down to you during the Rites. Same VA as the previous games (though he sounds very different in this game). Everything else is in some kind of alien language with text.

Permanently A

Sort of. There's one guy that kind of talks down to you during the Rites. Same VA as the previous games (though he sounds very different in this game). Everything else is in some kind of alien language with text.

Cool that's all I needed to hear.

Kremzeek

ok i pre-ordered it last night before the discount went away on PSN.

i started Transistor over and played for an hour - reminded me how much i love Supergiant's total atmosphere.

I never really thought it about but considering how much I loved Bastion and Transistor and how good this game seems supergiant games is probably my favorite dev.

But I never really think about them.

Trey

I never really thought it about but considering how much I loved Bastion and Transistor and how good this game seems supergiant games is probably my favorite dev.

But I never really think about them.

they just pop up every three years to drop a classic and fade back into the aether to cook up some more greatness.

7/10 from metro gamecentral.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/26/pyre-review-fantasy-sports-league-6806181/

In Short: The bizarre mix of influences and gameplay doesn’t always gel, but the visuals and writing help paper over the cracks in this admirably unique adventure.

Pros: Some of the best art design in any game this generation. Excellent script and dialogue, with many memorable characters.

Cons: The rites can get repetitive before the end and they take far too long to offer any challenge. Some mammoth dialogue sequences that are often dense with exposition.

I think this game flew off my radar at some point

just now shot to the top of it. Watched part of IGNs review and the gameplay and story already have me hooked.

Top Bottom