• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUSHSQUARE - Reaction: PlayStation's Most Ardent Fans Are Feeling Frustrated and Insecure

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
what is there after those games? Except Sony Japan and Guerrilla, all Sony studios launched games on 2018, 2019 or will launch on 2020. so don’t think they will get more games until 2022 from those studios.

If they were short of product it seems obvious to me that they'd simply push back titles into the next gen launch window. They very probably have the next 3 years mapped out release-wise at this point, either with their own IP or with timed exclusivity deals from third parties.

Objectively the first 18 months of the next gen will be characterized by lots of cross-gen product. The install-base of PS4 is so large at this point that its going to take a significant amount of time before support dries up. In the meanwhile enhanced releases of titles new and old are going to fill out release schedules, particularly for third-parties who need a steady revenue stream throughout the platform transition.

Its also worth considering that this is looking like the least technologically disruptive generation shift ever for developers. Transition is mostly going to impact low-level (engine, fundamental I/O etc.) code, so for the majority of staff its just going to be business as usual albeit with a higher ceilng available.

theclaw135

Banned
Both companies announced next gen consoles too soon. In particular, I don't trust Sony to commit to backwards compatibility. A PS5 launch starved of content will hurt more than ever. AAA games take so long to develop now.

DonF

Gold Member
As a Sony fan, I'm fine. It's the end of the generation, we still have ghost of sushi and tlou2 as this gens swan songs, and plenty of other great third party games... First half of next year is stacked!

Also, ps5 reveal soon-ish can't be console only, they are bound to show games.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I think what Sony is doing is smart business. They announced their remaining games for this gen ages ago and I doubt they're working on anything else for the PS4 at this point. They aren't ready to announce details on the PS5 yet, but I'm quite sure they've been working hard on new games for next gen. When they do officially announce they will most likely have several games to surprise & delight their fans.

I feel some of their former exclusives going to other platforms is a win-win. More games on more platforms is good for everyone including Sony's bottom line. Halo on PC does not make it any less a great series or less enjoyable for me. Sony games on other platforms are still the same games you enjoyed and others enjoying those same games does not take anything away from that.

As an Xbox fan, I'm concerned MS keeps revealing too much and won't have any big surprises for us when they officially launch.

ethomaz

Banned
Everyone loves a good Rocky story. The top dog goes down and the under dog wins against all odds, yada yada.

It's just so predicable. Especially as we approach a new generation, we will get more and more of these articles saying how we should be worried about Sony for some reason or other and how Microsoft is going to come up and take the next gen crown. The media outlets love to feed this narrative and it's such total non-sense.

That said; I do agree with the point that Sony is doing a piss poor job communicating with their fans. This year has sucked from that stand point. Despite having an amazing line up of top quality exclusive software the lack of live stage shows and lack luster State of Plays have really undermined what an amazing content line up they have. For example this morning we finally got a release date for Dreams. That's an amazing piece of software 7 years in the making and yet the way it was presented it might as well have been another indi title. Pretty lame if you ask me!

I hope they hit reset next year and make a triumphant return to live shows starting with the PS5 reveal.
Actually the press will always want Xbox to win no matter it places... it already happened in PS4 gen and it will happen again in PS5 gen.

But what they want is not always what happens.

As Sony fan I'm pretty confided with PS5 strategy... the opposite from MS strategy with Scarlett.

Sony is setthing PS5 to have even more success than PS4.

Last edited:
Actually the press will always want Xbox to win no matter it places... it already happened in PS4 gen and it will happen again in PS5 gen.

But what they want is not always what happens.

As Sony fan I'm pretty confided with PS5 strategy... the opposite from MS strategy with Scarlett.

Sony is setthing PS5 to have even more success than PS4.
As far as I know, the press has always been pretty critical of Xbox.

ethomaz

Banned
The opposite.

They always looks like some marketing tool of MS.

The tone in the articles are different when it is about Xbox and when it is about PlayStation... even big sites like Eurogamer, IGN, etc already showed biased toward Xbox.

Before this gen started every single press were betting on Xbox crushing PlayStation.
And it is starting again... every single publication saying MS comeback (when they did nothing yet), the arrogant Sony is back, etc etc.

This article is pretty clear a show of it.

But it is understandable because majority of press is American and American supports American companies.

Do a Google search to find how many articles says Xbox will win next-gen vs how many articles says PS will win next-gen... you will barely find PS articles lol

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Pretty dumb, Sony has great first party exclusives and is fine with that going into the ps5.

I can’t imagine why anyone would see a few PC ports or even that MLB the Show news and scream about lost identity or Sony going multi platform.

ethomaz

Banned
Pretty dumb, Sony has great first party exclusives and is fine with that going into the ps5.

I can’t imagine why anyone would see a few PC ports or even that MLB the Show news and scream about lost identity or Sony going multi platform.
Everything have a start ;)
Sony now set a precedent.

Console identity is becoming less and less unique and that bad for the industry.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

There are far more Xbox sycophants and apologists in the press than for any other platform imho.

The simple truth is that games journalism is very cliquey. People will be hired on the basis of shared opinions far more than those diametrically opposed. So any trend biasing perceptions tends to get institutionalized.

Its mostly historical. Sony did get arrogant and did alienate a lot of people towards the end of the PS2 era, MS stepped in, started handing out partner-net accounts like Willy Wonka, and built tremendous mindshare amongst the enthusiast press. This is all in conjunction with the rise of social-media and networking which resulted in remarkably homogenous outlook across the field.

The end result of this was Gamergate, and events like Colin Moriarity getting run out of town on a rail for making an "inappropriate" comment on Twitter.

As I wrote earlier, its institutional now. If people are expected to share their politics with their peers, how much chance do outlier opinions about gaming and gaming companies have?

Psykodad

Banned
I didn't say anything you are talking to me. I said all studios from Sony except Sony Japan and Guerrilla released games on 2018, 2019 or will release on 2020, and Sony is taking between 4 and 5 years for makings games, so until 2022-2023 you can't expect new games from those developers.
Sorry, wasn't aware you were having a private conversation.

Spider-man 2 reportedly is planned for 2021.
Sony also stated that they will focus more on multiplayer games, so undoubtly that they will be releasing less high profile games before 2022-2023.

A launch-window Guerrilla game is safe to assume and BluePoint is working on a new title, which could very well be a PS5 launch-title.

That doesn't sound too bad, seeing how the typical launch-periods played out in the past.

The opposite.

They always looks like some marketing tool of MS.

The tone in the articles are different when it is about Xbox and when it is about PlayStation... even big sites like Eurogamer, IGN, etc already showed biased toward Xbox.

Before this gen started every single press were betting on Xbox crushing PlayStation.
And it is starting again... every single publication saying MS comeback (when they did nothing yet), the arrogant Sony is back, etc etc.

This article is pretty clear a show of it.

But it is understandable because majority of press is American and American supports American companies.

Do a Google search to find how many articles says Xbox will win next-gen vs how many articles says PS will win next-gen... you will barely find PS articles lol
Well, logically, Microsoft is setting themselves up for success. With all of their Studios, Services, and possible Price points Microsoft is poised to do well. Sony is not, or at least has not announced their strategies quite yet.

Well not that Sony will do bad, but I think Microsoft has a stratagy of saturation, where as Sony is not quite there yet. I don't mean to say that Sony will fail, they wont. But It's going to be harder for them to win outright this time around.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well, logically, Microsoft is setting themselves up for success. With all of their Studios, Services, and possible Price points Microsoft is poised to do well. Sony is not, or at least has not announced their strategies quite yet.
What is difference from 2012?
Nothing.

MS always did that... the marketing buzz but lack in delivery.

It is already know for years that MS repeated talk.

PS. I just realized IGN has no PS fan in the staff anymore... who runs the PS side of the portal are Xbox fans lol

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Nothing.

PS. I just realized IGN has no PS fan in the staff anymore... who runs the PS side of the portal are Xbox fans lol
Just wait til E3.

Nothing.

I don't read IGN so, I guess there's that. But consider the following:
Xbox
  • Cloud (Android, iPhone, Samsung TV's, PC, Xbox) This shit works on my kid's Kindle right now.
  • Xbox One S (Lowest Possible Next-Gen Stream box, imminent EOL)
  • Xbox One X (Low-Mid Tier with Streaming, imminent EOL)
  • Xbox S (Medium Tier)
  • Xbox X (High Tier)
  • GamePass (Works with xCloud, Xbox)
  • GamePass Ultimate includes Xbox Live (Works with xCloud, PC, Xbox)
  • Xbox Live
  • Play-Anywhere (Works with xCloud, PC, Xbox)
  • Cross-Buy (Works with xCloud, PC, Xbox)
  • Cross-Play (Works with xCloud, PC, Xbox, Switch, PS4)
  • 15 1st Party Studios

PlayStation
  • Playstation 4 (Lowest Possible with Playstation Now)
  • Playstation 4 Pro (Low-Mid Tier with Playstation Now , imminent EOL)
  • Playstation 5 (High Tier)
  • Playstation Now (PC, Android, iPhone - Only what is available, no new releases)
  • Playstation Network
  • Cross-Play (3rd Party for now)
  • Starting transition into PC
  • 15 1st Part Studios
I mean, which strategy looks good to you? I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy, but while this was Xbox's worst generation, Phil has strategized a solid foundation to take on Sony in next-gen. To think Sony wont come out swinging would be naive and I hope they go crazy next-gen and I'm excited for that just as I'm excited to see Mircosoft do the same. It's going to be glorious. We win big time in this scenario.

IF there are services I missed, please feel free to let me know.

EDITED for accuracy.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't read IGN so, I guess there's that. But consider the following:
Xbox
  • Cloud (Android, iPhone, Samsung TV's, PC, Xbox) This shit works on my kid's Kindle right now.
  • Xbox S (Medium Tier)
  • Xbox X (High Tier)
  • Xbox Live
  • Play-Anywhere
  • Cross-Play (Works with xCloud, PC, Xbox)
  • 15 1st Party Studios

PlayStation
  • Playstation 5
  • Playstation Now
  • Playstation Network
  • Cross-Play (3rd Party)
  • 15 1st Part Studios
I mean, which strategy looks good to you? I'm not trying to sound like a fan boy, but while this was Xbox's worst generation, Phil has stratagized a solid foundation to take on Sony in next-gen. To think Sony wont come out swinging would be naive and I hope they go crazy next-gen and I'm excited for that just as I'm excited to see Mircosoft do the same. It's going to be glorious. We win big time in this scenario.
Removing the Xbox One S and X because you just not listed PS4 and PS4 Pro.
It is seem pretty even with exception of Gamepass.

But hey MS is doing a amazing strategy and Sony is doing a bad strategy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just remember which company delivered all these gens without never let a console for years without receiving nothing?

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
The forever waiting for the E3 or next year :D

That remember me the famous MS claim "this year is the best in the Xbox history"... they say that every single year.
MS never had a clue on how to approach the gaming audience.
Except last-gen, when they reached into their deep pockets.

Next-gen won't be any different from current-gen, just another attempt at their always online DRM plans with xCloud.

Last edited:
Removing the Xbox One S and X because you just not listed PS4 and PS4 Pro.
It is seem pretty even with exception of Gamepass.

But hey MS is doing a amazing strategy and Sony is doing a bad strategy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Just remember which company delivered all these gens without never let a console for years without receiving nothing?
I modified the list to be more realistic. I never said Sony is having a bad strategy, it's just that Microsoft's plans are more apparent at the moment. The world of gaming is changing, if Sony doesn't change with it, that would be bad.

FranXico

Xbox
  • Xbox S (Medium Tier)
  • Xbox X (High Tier)
  • Xbox Live
  • Play-Anywhere
  • 15 1st Party Studios

PlayStation
  • Playstation 4 (Low tier, support will last 2/3 more years)
  • Playstation 4 Pro (mid tier, support will last up to 5 more years)
  • Playstation 5
  • Cross-Buy (first introduced between PS consoles, will apply to some PS4/PS5 games)
  • Remote Play (stream games to PSVita or PC, now only PC)
  • Share Play (stream and co-op games with friends)
  • Playstation Now
  • Playstation Network
  • Cross-Play (previously only with PC and PS consoles, now also supporting competing consoles)
  • 15 1st Part Studios
FTFY, now it's more realistic.
I love how you went back to squeeze even more items for Xbox, and continued neglecting a bunch for PS.

ethomaz

Banned
I modified the list to be more realistic. I never said Sony is having a bad strategy, it's just that Microsoft's plans are more apparent at the moment. The world of gaming is changing, if Sony doesn't change with it, that would be bad.
I believe that forced change is a mistake.
Stadia shows that every day.
Not every game want to get into that bullshit streaming that take the game industry back in the past.

Sony will probably have a more conventional plan and they will be more successful with that.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Neither company is really focusing on streaming, the real money is in the rental services.
Gamepass is where nobody can get money right now.

Unless MS change the service to ask more for it or stop to put day one first-party then it won't be lucrative.
No dev will lose his gross margin to put a game on Gamepass at release.

The last Gamepass release showed (at least in UK with numbers) that the revenue lost with day one sales will never be recovered in Gamepass.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Lol what a nonsense.
Who the hell is concerned about Sony except people who dislike Playstation?
People that see Sony making western heavy games when the main appeal behind the namebrand were their unique Japanese videogames?

I believe that forced change is a mistake.
Stadia shows that every day.
Not every game want to get into that bullshit streaming that take the game industry back in the past.

Sony will probably have a more conventional plan and they will be more successful with that.
How could it be more conventional than Microsoft's strategy? With Microsoft's strategy, every New and BC game will work over the cloud with no additional work at all. They've also been testing it for years. It can't get much better than that. Sony literally signed a deal to use there Azure cloud for gaming.

With stadia you literally have to buy a game you can't download.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

*sigh* Gotta get if off my chest, it's driving me insane.

Ever since Death Stranding got a PC release date and there are rumors of a PC Horizon port, I … well, I -

I haven't been able to ... perform.

ethomaz

Banned
How could it be more conventional than Microsoft's strategy? With Microsoft's strategy, every New and BC game will work over the cloud with no additional work at all. They've also been testing it for years. It can't get much better than that. Sony literally signed a deal to use there Azure cloud for gaming.

With stadia you literally have to buy a game you can't download.
Of course it can get better... with conventional local hardware.
Azure is a service and can be used by anybody that pays for it.

The big difference in MS and Sony strategy is the focus:

MS: Focus in services and cloud with games build as service tot take advantage of these two features.
Sony: Focus in console hardware with games build to take advantage of the hardware.

Last edited:
Xbox
  • Xbox S (Medium Tier)
  • Xbox X (High Tier)
  • Xbox Live
  • Play-Anywhere
  • 15 1st Party Studios

PlayStation
  • Playstation 5
  • Cross-Buy (first introduced between PS consoles, will apply to some PS4/PS5 games)
  • Playstation Now
  • Playstation Network
  • Cross-Play (previously only with PC and PS consoles, now also supporting competing consoles)
  • 15 1st Part Studios
I love how you went back to squeeze even more items for Xbox, and continued neglecting a bunch for PS.
I updated my list, but thanks for adding the stuff I missed. Although I don't know how long MS will support the X or S.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Every console needs exclusives, SONY should be worried about losing MLB The Show and Guerrilla flirting with PC Gaming.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You can still offer competition even if all games were available on all consoles. You can buy MS developed games on your Sony hardware but they are on sale or cheaper on the MS hardware. You can only have PS+ on Sony hardware or Gold on MS hardware and within those services there is competition.
So essentially a digital war? The competition feels incomplete without the physical hardware serving as the "house", if you will, that is branded to the specific competitors. Maybe it's because this is the day and age that we live in...but you need to consider that this is the day and age that we live in. For the fans, the consoles are necessary. Maybe for the casuals this would work, but it's because they don't really care for the competition. They aren't jumping on GAF every single day to debate which like minded enthusiasts like we are.

Mind you, I don't wanna just completely dismiss your preference for a one console system for all games. Sure there's a bad side to exclusives, but honestly where would we be without them? They obviously serve a purpose. Innocently they get people excited about the system they chose to go with. Exclusives affirm the choices the player has made, the IDEA they bought into. That's not just a name or a company. It's an experience, a sub-sect of the gaming culture that resonates with them the most. That diminishes in a one console system.

Sure, the way things are now...it creates fanboys and assholes and the like...but think about something like sports. Where would sports be without crazy ass fans going to cold weather games topless with body paint on and tattoos of their favorite team on their arm? Same thing applies to games. I sometimes can't stand fanboys, but that doesn't mean I don't understand why they exist and I recognize them as a necessary, unavoidable by-product of this system.

EDIT:

Wait I just went over what you said again...So you're saying have multiple consoles, but all games are on all consoles? Just with subtle differences in prices? I think that just makes things a bit confusing and...unnecessary. Like why have multiple consoles if the offerings are essentially the same...maybe negligible difference in prices. How would a new customer decide what console is best for them? What's a more effective way for a console to distinguish itself in a substantive way?

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
People that see Sony making western heavy games when the main appeal behind the namebrand were their unique Japanese videogames?
That does explain why PS4 is the second best selling console of alltime, breaking even PS2 sales records.

/s

VFXVeteran

Banned
I don't get it either. I understand complaining about exclusives (ie "I won't be able to play this particular game because I don't own an Xbox") but whining because other consoles and/or PC players will also be able to play something you enjoy? I don't even have the area code.
It's quite obvious why Sony fans don't want their favorite games ported to PC. The comparison's won't be in Sony's favor. The game would play at it's best on the PC thereby negating the competitive edge of having an exclusive to begin with.

That's what I sense from the reactions and history of posts from Sony fans.

Last edited:
It's quite obvious why Sony fans don't want their favorite games ported to PC. The comparison's won't be in Sony's favor. The game would play at it's best on the PC thereby negating the competitive edge of having an exclusive to begin with.

The also say it devalues the brand, which is a load of crap. People that want a PC will buy one, people that want a console will buy one.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sales of games and hardware are incentive to improve. They only need to compete with themselves. And if they don't compete well enough another company will rise up and dethrone them. Example Nintendo, they got fat and lazy the playstation showed up and sank their battleship. Had Nintendo not been so short sighted then it wouldn't have happened.

Improvement is expected these days. Even if they were the only game in town people demand bigger and better and they will have to provide it to keep up sales. Again, lest someone show up to take their candy from them.

But the real and true competition and improvement and demand to keep ahead will be from the game developers because it will be a war of software which is in the end what gaming is really about.

If Sony and PC were the only game in town I don't see gaming taking a nose dive at all.
If they are meeting with their target goals, where is the urgency coming from? Even if urgency is present, is it more effective than a threat from an opposing entity? The examples you're using didn't happen without proprietary hardware as part of the equation. The software is where the magic happens...but the idea people buy into becomes much more tangible when there is hardware to invest in as well. There's something about buying a physical object that you own that plays into the psychology that you are simply dismissing as if it doesn't exist.

ethomaz

Banned

It is about the devaluation of PlayStation brand.

Weak brand -> Less players -> Less sales -> Less investments -> Less games and/or quality of these games

* I wont enter in the point that having a single hardware to optimize trend to generate better and bug free game code.

PlayStation brand is based in an unique Ecosystem.
So you need to enter in that Ecosystem to play their games.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Xbox
  • Xbox S (Medium Tier)
  • Xbox X (High Tier)
  • Xbox Live
  • Play-Anywhere
  • 15 1st Party Studios

PlayStation
  • Playstation 5
  • Playstation Now
  • Playstation Network
  • 15 1st Part Studios
And nobody mentions psvr1/2 as a selling point? Since Ms has no vr offer.

Also, how many of the 15 studios of each make AAA games?

I did a quick search and for MS found:
343, obsidian, playground, coalition, turn 10

For Sony:
Bend, guerrilla, insomniac, ND, polyphony, SSM, sucker punch, Japan Studio (?)

I must be missing some.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Wait I just went over what you said again...So you're saying have multiple consoles, but all games are on all consoles? Just with subtle differences in prices? I think that just makes things a bit confusing and...unnecessary. Like why have multiple consoles if the offerings are essentially the same...maybe negligible difference in prices. How would a new customer decide what console is best for them? What's a more effective way for a console to distinguish itself in a substantive way?

Why have 20-30 blu ray players to choose from or 20-30 CD players to choose from? How do customers find out about the different offerings?
They research the hardware or talk to sales people to figure out which hardware is best for them. Like I said, the music/movie industries have thrived for decades with a shit ton of hardware on offer and the mucis/movie production houses don't offer their own personalised hardware to watch/listen to their productions on.

You said it yourself, the only reason to keep games exclusive is literally only for the fan boys of each platform. Sure, Mario sells 15-20 million copies but it might sell 25-30 million copies if it was sold everywhere. That is good for customers and Nintendo.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Why have 20-30 blu ray players to choose from or 20-30 CD players to choose from? How do customers find out about the different offerings?
They research the hardware or talk to sales people to figure out which hardware is best for them. Like I said, the music/movie industries have thrived for decades with a shit ton of hardware on offer and the mucis/movie production houses don't offer their own personalised hardware to watch/listen to their productions on.

You said it yourself, the only reason to keep games exclusive is literally only for the fan boys of each platform. Sure, Mario sells 15-20 million copies but it might sell 25-30 million copies if it was sold everywhere. That is good for customers and Nintendo.

I don't really see music and movie production company as in direct competition, regardless of what the reality is. I mean is there like...a Team Pixar vs Team 21st Century Fox? Also, I never said that was the only reason for exclusives. As far as the consumers perspective, that why it matters for us. It's helps with choosing a brand, which is ,in it of itself, a packaged experience. That experience includes the hardware. It's why the company spend so much time designing the boxes. There's a physical component you essentially remove from the experience. What is gaming selling if not an experience?

VFXVeteran

Banned
It is about the devaluation of PlayStation brand.

Weak brand -> Less players -> Less sales -> Less investments -> Less games and/or quality of these games

* I wont enter in the point that having a single hardware to optimize trend to generate better and bug free game code.

PlayStation brand is based in an unique Ecosystem.
So you need to enter in that Ecosystem to play their games.

How is it a devaluation? Are you saying that there won't be many people buying a PS because it's exclusives come to another platform? If we took every single exclusive off the market, Sony would still survive from all the multiplat games. The exclusives aren't the only thing keeping that machine running.

Having a single hardware to optimize is an old paradigm. Developers want a common architecture to harness all the current tried and true algorithms and information based on the x86 chipset, MMX, SIMD, etc.. there is a wealth of tutorials, support, code, etc.. on making their game engine the best it could be while not worrying about driver writing. Most exclusive companies develop on Windows machines running DirectX anyway (*hint*), so there hasn't been optimization of hardware since PS3 days.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
How is it a devaluation? Are you saying that there won't be many people buying a PS because it's exclusives come to another platform? If we took every single exclusive off the market, Sony would still survive from all the multiplat games. The exclusives aren't the only thing keeping that machine running.

Having a single hardware to optimize is an old paradigm. Developers want a common architecture to harness all the current tried and true algorithms and information based on the x86 chipset, MMX, SIMD, etc.. there is a wealth of tutorials, support, code, etc.. on making their game engine the best it could be while not worrying about driver writing. Most exclusive companies develop on Windows machines running DirectX anyway (*hint*), so there hasn't been optimization of hardware since PS3 days.
If you remove exclusive then console game market dies.

Exclusives are the reason to still exists console market.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Look, its inarguable. Losing unique selling points devalues and dilutes brand potency. So without exclusives, a gaming brand does lose an awful lot of value.

On the other hand however, IP value actually gains strength with expansion of its addressable market. Keeping a property tied to a single platform or ecosystem, basically makes the popularity of that host environment the primary limiter.

So in essence its about trading off these two factors for optimal profitability. Hence we get deals for limited or timed exclusivity, because that balances the two imperatives.

As per usual people are looking at this way too simplistically. Its not a binary thing. You need to consider the monetization on a per title basis, because that's the key.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Look, its inarguable. Losing unique selling points devalues and dilutes brand potency. So without exclusives, a gaming brand does lose an awful lot of value.

I'm not saying it doesn't devalue. What I'm questioning is devalue to the point of failure? Nah. Not seeing it.

As per usual people are looking at this way too simplistically. Its not a binary thing. You need to consider the monetization on a per title basis, because that's the key.

That I can agree with.

VFXVeteran

Banned
If you remove exclusive then console game market dies.

Exclusives are the reason to still exists console market.

We just have to disagree then. In this day and age, there are plenty of other ways to make money to keep the ecosystem going. And then again, the ecosystem could be changing right under our noses. No paradigm is a forever thing.

It's good that there's some speculation that Sony's big AAA games will go multi-platform.

So that come PS5 reveal and Sony reassured that they are committed to AAA exclusives, it'll be a huge deal.
(without rumors of going multi-platform it wouldn't be a big deal)

PS exlusives will come to PS Now eventually though. Through that, it will be multi-platform.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
We just have to disagree then. In this day and age, there are plenty of other ways to make money to keep the ecosystem going. And then again, the ecosystem could be changing right under our noses. No paradigm is a forever thing.
Except what matter for consoles are games not others ways.
And console ecosystem won't change... it will die in the future and exclusives going multiplatform just shows that.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
No one is stressed and insecure. That "gaming journalist" is projecting out of his ass.
Made up news for hits surely?

I see no PlayStation fan insecure and frustrated, not after this gen where it was a must to have a PS4, in order to enjoy the best games..... A few games going to PC does not deter Sony at all, HR. BTS, Journey, Detroit were not owned Sony Ip's.....Sony could allow them on PC and it's not strange since SFV published by Sony went to PC too.......PC does not affect PS sales.....

As for MLB, it makes sense to do go multi and get more money, San Diego deserves it......Who else is making quality baseball games these days, there's a wide market out there for a quality BB franchise and that was a good move on their part......If anyone thinks Sony's bread and butter; Horizon, GTS, UC, LOU, GOW is coming to other platforms, they better keep smoking that Ganja and stay psychedelic....

sendit

Interesting article until the last paragraph where the writer is telling me what I need to do.

I agree that Sony seems out of touch lately. I cancelled my PS+ sub for the first time, and I've had it since launch on the PS3. I've stopped buying any games for PS4 outside of a handful of (likely to remain) exclusives. They feel a lot like the Xbox platform during the last half of the 360's days. Ahead and coasting by on timed exclusive stuff and third party stuff.

Their inconsistent and weird censorship stuff hasn't helped them at all, either. I'm actually hoping that most of their catalogue comes to PC, where I've turned for general performance management (I can prioritize framerate on my own if they don't want to) and mod support.

Agreed. What is Sony thinking by releasing The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima next year for the PS4. They should just move on from this generation like Microsoft. Bring on Xbox Series X!

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
ghost of Tsushima is more Japanese than the Japanese games made in japan. with their unrealistic proportion and so on

Top Bottom