• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUSHSQUARE - Reaction: PlayStation's Most Ardent Fans Are Feeling Frustrated and Insecure

The only knock I would have against Sony is their build quality and quality control on hardware has dropped over the past few years - be it TVs, the PS4 Pro, headphones. The launch Pro sounded like a hair dryer ffs.

That is the only thing that may stop me pre-ordering.

Shifty1897

I mean, I've pretty much dropped off the Sony bandwagon this gen. When looking at PC, Sony, and Nintendo and realizing I should drop one for money/time saving as I get older, I realized I like Nintendo's first party output better, and I needed a PC anyway for non-gaming stuff.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Point is, hardware or no hardware, you need exclusive content sell a platform. People complaining about exclusives seem to forget about the success Stranger Things was as an exclusive original for Netflix. Or the Whopper being exclusive of Burger King.
Apple iTunes started out crap and it was even behind an Apple walled garden. iPhones were also crap. Overpriced and you couldn't even do text messages at the beginning. They beasted everyone afterwards.

Pidull

I think there are fewer reasons to buy a PlayStation than ever before. If it was your only console this generation you did pretty well though.

I worried about the brand towards the end of last generation when Sony shuttered studio after studio. 3 Resistance games, 2 Infamous games, 2 Socom games, 2 MGS games, 3 Motorstorm games, 4 Ratchet games, MAG, 2 Killzone games, 3 Uncharted games, The Last of Us, 3 LBP games, MLB the Show, 2 God of War games, 2 Warhawk games, 2/3 Gran Turismo games, and plenty of one-off exclusives.

While the quality may be higher, many series have a single game for the entire generation, with many more cut. It's completely different.

Jubenhimer

You are using Netflix as an example again, a streaming service, Sony/MS/Ninty can release their games exclusively on their streaming service. My point is movies/music can be bought and used and any number of hardware and the industry has run fine for decades with no hardware exclusives.
I use Netflix as an example because its one of the best demonstrations for why a Platform-based business model is perfectly viable.

If Nintendo release their next Mario game on all 3 platforms, it sells better on the Sony/MS platforms and Ninty have the weaker hardware and worse available service. That's called competition and Ninty know they need to improve their hardware and service. Just like the movie industry releases their movies in the digital realm before physical realm these days, Sony/MS/Ninty could do the same, release their own produced game via digital exclusively on their hardware for a week or two before it releases everywhere else.
Why would they do that though? Nintendo's games sell tens of millions of copies and consoles just by virtue of being exclusive to their platform.

I know it may be hard to comprehend but I'm suggesting a complete overhaul on how the industry functions. It would sort of get rid of this bullshit console fanboyism that currently exists.
It sounds like a nice fantasy on paper. But IMO, platform-based models are more ideal for creative industries like games and TV. The need to prop your own platform up with exclusive content allows you to take more risks creatively, and do unexpected things to gather attention. Even as costs increase, the need to support your own platform with exclusives still plays an important role. I believe creative industries that don't have platform based buisness models will inevitably lack in creativity or innovation, and tend to be more homogenous and committee-focused. See Pop Music and the Movie industry as examples.

Humdinger

Gold Member
"Microsoft’s community engagement has been absurdly strong for several years, and while the Team in Green is still very much playing catch-up in almost every department, we reckon it’s left PlayStation aficionados feeling neglected."

That's true, but it doesn't bug me too much. As long as they keep producing the games, I don't really care about the PR aspect. It's one thing to have a likeable, communicative figurehead (e.g., Phil Spencer); it's another to actually produce the goods.

SLB1904

Banned
Every game should come to pc. I want to play dantes inferno and i cant play anymore because was never on pc. And tge consoles that you can play it are pretty much dead and it gets worst as the time goes by.
How many games are in tge same position.
And the problem with this community people only care about politics. Controversial shit instead of playing games.
Ms is pretty much a 3rd party publisher. Xbox fanboys soon will be instinct. Soon sony will go 3rd party, nintendo is following the same path with their mobile adventures.
People love convinience. Soon interner will be fast enough to stream in 4k. And this comoanies love money.
I want to mgs4 again and yeah pretty much the same thing.(im glad there is emulation) but i cant be bother

Belmonte

Sony fans looking at the window:

fall-of-rome-1.jpg

Nah...I don't think most of them cares about losing some of their exclusives to the PC.

SNG32

I need Sony to announce BC for PS1-4 on PS5. That’s the only thing that will bring me back on-board 110%. It’s unlikely gonna happen... just a pipe dream. But the again, for Sony to have me back as hard a fan as I have been since the beginning... that’s a bit of a pipe dream for them too.

Don’t worry some of your favorite games from those generations will be on PS Now.

Aion002

I think there are fewer reasons to buy a PlayStation than ever before. If it was your only console this generation you did pretty well though.

I worried about the brand towards the end of last generation when Sony shuttered studio after studio. 3 Resistance games, 2 Infamous games, 2 Socom games, 2 MGS games, 3 Motorstorm games, 4 Ratchet games, MAG, 2 Killzone games, 3 Uncharted games, The Last of Us, 3 LBP games, MLB the Show, 2 God of War games, 2 Warhawk games, 2/3 Gran Turismo games, and plenty of one-off exclusives.

While the quality may be higher, many series have a single game for the entire generation, with many more cut. It's completely different.

Because everything changed.

Now mostly the focus are Gaas online games: MMORPG games, F2P games, gigantic games like COD and Overwatch.

Also the cost increased exponentially.

So Sony choose to cater SP games, MS choose Gaas games... Sony won, because the Gaas comes from third party studios, MS is changing her approach acquiring more studios and Sony is looking in to how to keep profitting in this market.

The mass consumer doens't care about console wars, they just want a good product. One Uncharted or The Last of Us has way more value than 5 Killzones and 5 Resistances games, because those two Fps's will never have the reach of COD or Battlefield, heck, even Halo that was a huge deal last gens is now trying a new approach.

Also, if someone is worried about a console losing the exclusivity of a game..... well.... I hope that person is a 10 years old.... otherwise he needs help.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned
But they could have been if history was different.
Imagine having to buy 4-5 separate players to watch movies from Disney, Columbia, Lionsgate, Universal and Paramount?

This actually happened with audio recordings - at one point, RCA were making players that only played 45 RPM 7" discs and Colombia made ones that only played 33 1/3 RPM 10 or 12" discs. So if you wanted to play records from both companies you needed two different turntables.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As long as Sony delivers greatness with PlayStation 5 like they have done for me with PlayStation 4, then they can do some of this other shit because I either A) don't care or B) it doesn't apply to me whatsoever.

The entire MLB thing is meaningless to me because I quit playing sports games a decade ago and even if I still played them, it's a fucking annual sports game. Seriously, it's not God of War or a top tier title so who cares? SMH.

I'm fully expecting PlayStation 5 to be sequels to the games I love, were my respective goty's but on a bigger and better scale. As long as I get that, I'll be a happy and satisfied gamer.

Raziel

This is called modern video game development.

Last gen also had:

3 Batman Arkham games, 3 Bioshock games, 3 Borderlands games, 2 Dragon Age games, 2 Elder Scrolls games, 2 Fallout games, 4 Gears of War games, 2 GTA games + 2 GTA Episodes, 4 Halo games, 2 Left 4 Dead games, 3 Mass Effect games,, 2 Portal games, 2 Project Gotham games, and plenty of one-offs

with many having 0-1 installments this gen.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol, I just realized that this is the same source Kain used to say Sony and Microsoft were "terrified" of Stadia.

These are the types of sites that trend high degrees or whatever they use on N4G.

I haven’t visited that site (N4G) in forever come to think of it.

I don’t visit other sites anymore. I get everything through GAF again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These are the types of sites that trend high degrees or whatever they use on N4G.

I haven’t visited that site (N4G) in forever come to think of it.

I don’t visit other sites anymore. I get everything through GAF again.
N4G is trash. I don't use that site either.

At the beginning it was good because it was a nice site for people posting articles about key game reviews.... IGN, Gamespot etc.

Now it's all clickbait opinion pieces.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
N4G is trash. I don't use that site either.

At the beginning it was good because it was a nice site for people posting articles about key game reviews.... IGN, Gamespot etc.

Now it's all clickbait opinion pieces.

This is the exact reason why I stopped years ago as well.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you are nervous about Sony ahead if a year headlined by TLOU2 and GoT, backed by a 12month exclusivity on FF7r, Dreams getting its final release, Nioh2, etc. On top of every major multi-platform release by the big third parties... I honestly do not know what would make you feel confident.

Because that is basically the single strongest line-up Sony have fielded over the entire generation.

Meanwhile, on the green brand they have what? An Ori sequel to tide their fans over til the next gen kicks off... and even then what've they got to lean on? More Halo, and more Forza no doubt, because lets face it, 20 years on they are still pushing the same franchises.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
As a fan of high-quality single-player experiences, I enjoy a lot of Sony’s output. They make strong and unique experiences that aren’t watered down with Microtransactions or needless multiplayer or social justice pandering (Ellie’s been a lesbian since 2013 so don’t @ me with that shit). 😉

This is not the case with some of their direct competitors. My only concern with bringing their games to other platforms is that they’d lose sight of the value of these experiences and start to get greedy and monetize all of their shit and just produce mass-market/battle royal drivel.

Also, they’re welcome to bring all of their best studio games to PC, but you bet your ass I’m not going to keep buying PlayStation consoles if they do.

Why the hell would I?

ragingturtle

Neo Member
Where exactly did he find these outraged, troubled fans? Sony is fine, Playstation will be fine.
Right here for one.
Been a sony fan since PS1 and how they’re acting now is eerily similar to late PS2/early PS3 era—high and mighty thinking they can get away with whatever

Each platform should have their own system seller, AAA killer game. That brings valeu and identity to the platform and stimulates the big there (MS, SONY AND NINTENDO) tô bring the best out of their First party Studios.

Exclusives must exist forever as true exclusives. You want God of War, <Uncharted ? You're talking PlayStation. Galo, Gears ? Xbox. Zelda, Mario ? Nintendo.

Amen

Gargus

Banned
NNNNNo....Bad Gaffer...nnnno.

One platform means no competition. Lack of competition means less incentive to improve. Lack of improvement means stagnation. Stagnation means I come back to this thread, look you in the eye and say "you see what you have done...is this the future you were imagining?"

Sales of games and hardware are incentive to improve. They only need to compete with themselves. And if they don't compete well enough another company will rise up and dethrone them. Example Nintendo, they got fat and lazy the playstation showed up and sank their battleship. Had Nintendo not been so short sighted then it wouldn't have happened.

Improvement is expected these days. Even if they were the only game in town people demand bigger and better and they will have to provide it to keep up sales. Again, lest someone show up to take their candy from them.

But the real and true competition and improvement and demand to keep ahead will be from the game developers because it will be a war of software which is in the end what gaming is really about.

If Sony and PC were the only game in town I don't see gaming taking a nose dive at all.

kungfuian

Everyone loves a good Rocky story. The top dog goes down and the under dog wins against all odds, yada yada.

It's just so predicable. Especially as we approach a new generation, we will get more and more of these articles saying how we should be worried about Sony for some reason or other and how Microsoft is going to come up and take the next gen crown. The media outlets love to feed this narrative and it's such total non-sense.

That said; I do agree with the point that Sony is doing a piss poor job communicating with their fans. This year has sucked from that stand point. Despite having an amazing line up of top quality exclusive software the lack of live stage shows and lack luster State of Plays have really undermined what an amazing content line up they have. For example this morning we finally got a release date for Dreams. That's an amazing piece of software 7 years in the making and yet the way it was presented it might as well have been another indi title. Pretty lame if you ask me!

I hope they hit reset next year and make a triumphant return to live shows starting with the PS5 reveal.

vkbest

If you are nervous about Sony ahead if a year headlined by TLOU2 and GoT, backed by a 12month exclusivity on FF7r, Dreams getting its final release, Nioh2, etc. On top of every major multi-platform release by the big third parties... I honestly do not know what would make you feel confident.

Because that is basically the single strongest line-up Sony have fielded over the entire generation.

Meanwhile, on the green brand they have what? An Ori sequel to tide their fans over til the next gen kicks off... and even then what've they got to lean on? More Halo, and more Forza no doubt, because lets face it, 20 years on they are still pushing the same franchises.

what is there after those games? Except Sony Japan and Guerrilla, all Sony studios launched games on 2018, 2019 or will launch on 2020. so don’t think they will get more games until 2022 from those studios.

Bullshit article with the aim of riling up playstation fans so that social media pressure pushes sony to reveal details about the PS5 before they are ready.

Just wait and lets not be impatient

Panaphonics

Banned
Well, Sony is about to die. They need to make some money. I think they will go the same way as Sega in the future. Going full third party after nextgen.

Ar¢tos

I don't expect a full announcement of ps5 (all specs, etc) until April/May. It will be as close as possible to the start of mass production.
Same about Scarlett. Sony will maybe give us a soft announcement (another article, not a conference) with no definitive specs in Jan/Feb, and MS will give us a monthly tweet with or without any specs.

Tumle

I think they should just target mobile and upscale from there then no one is left out
I can see the point of going multiplat, but as the article states, they will loose a lot of brand recognition and have to find other insenrives to why people should buy there box

Psykodad

Banned
what is there after those games? Except Sony Japan and Guerrilla, all Sony studios launched games on 2018, 2019 or will launch on 2020. so don’t think they will get more games until 2022 from those studios.
Focus will shift towards next-gen, as it should.

Or do you want to stay with current-gen forever?

longdi

Banned
Im a Sony fan and im completely secured with what they are doing to date.

I mean until real PS5 info is out for me to assess again.

Who is this moron concerned troller?

vkbest

Focus will shift towards next-gen, as it should.

Or do you want to stay with current-gen forever?

I didn't say anything you are talking to me. I said all studios from Sony except Sony Japan and Guerrilla released games on 2018, 2019 or will release on 2020, and Sony is taking between 4 and 5 years for makings games, so until 2022-2023 you can't expect new games from those developers.

Anyway I don't have problem with current gen for 3-4 more years. In fact I prefer next gen focus on High resolutions and 60fps, and for that graphics shouldn't be much better current gen can do. Also I really doubt real next gen games could run to 4k and raytracing even at 30fps

For last, it will be funny to see people begging ports for switch on next gen, when those games will not be releasing on more powerful machines than switch ( PS4 and XBOX )

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
There are a few issues I have with PlayStation at the moment....

Streaming/subscriptions to play, I don't like and think it undercuts the value of the platform.

Censorship is needless and undermines gaming as valid art.

I would much prefer the big shows of 2015 / 2016 than these 'State of plays', they really don't get me excited.

PlayStation has now made billions this generation for Sony and Insomniac is the only acquisition so far... there should be a much stronger push to buy some big developers like CDPR, Bungie, Platinum, Remedy or a publisher like Capcom.

These are issues but none of the warrant being frustrated or insecure and I doubt there are many that fit that description.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Laughing a little too hard there, son.

Almost like you're demonstrating the very insecurity the article is talking about :messenger_winking:

Of course know it all, pseudo psychologists would infer that.

The edgy and cool dude bros, my role models 😊🤦‍♂️Too many cornballs not enough time lol

Last edited:

Gone

Banned
What's mentioned in this article reflect the feelings of many "gamers" here in Iraq. Gaming just became popular in the past few years and people using Sony's exclusives to show that their choice is superior was and still a thing. They're really pissed off by some of Sony's decisions in the past few months, but that's just Iraq.

Top Bottom