• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PURE SPECULATION] Vanquish 2 and Hawken 2 are in development

robor

This is a pretty obvious one. 505 Games are beta testing a PVP action shooter to be released some time in the near future. I guarantee it's Hawken 2. It's hardly speculation when the probability is high regarding the company's acquisition of the IP.

Now, onto the second game that is PURE SPECULATION. I believe that PlatinumGames is priming up for a Vanquish sequel. I believe they have taken notice of the game community's desire for a sequel and that they will have a live service competitive mode implemented to extend its appeal (in regards to the company's recent change in philosophy). It's not much to go by, but I think in wake of a huge mecha third-person action shooter revival (thanks to Armored Core VI), it might be wise to get in on this newfound niche.

We'll see.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Vanquish 2 Switch exclusive, which is pretty meh.

Naked Gun Movie GIF

Last edited:
I wish. Platinum games is in such dire straights right now. But last time 505 had a teaser for "Welcome to Rockay City" which I thought was gonna be a GTA-like open world for sure it turned out to be Payday with big 80s/90s Hollywood stars.
Platinum games needs another big hit, a reinvention, not a sequel to a mostly forgotten game outside of their most hardcore fans.

Hawken never played but heard good things.

Fuz

Banned
Hawken was pretty cool. But the business model ruined the gameplay significantly, afaicr.

robor

I wish. Platinum games is in such dire straights right now. But last time 505 had a teaser for "Welcome to Rockay City" which I thought was gonna be a GTA-like open world for sure it turned out to be Payday with big 80s/90s Hollywood stars.

I'm tellin' ya my guy, it's Hawken 2.

Astral Dog

Vanquish was Shinji Mikami's baby and all his design ideas, he left Platinum Games many years ago, it also sold poorly so they just moved on. I don't see any sequel happening, or demand for one even within the company.

even Metal Gear Rising 2 is more likely imo, heck a Wonderful 101 successor is already in development at Platinum Games, yet i can't say Vanquish 2 will happen in a million years

Last edited:
Just played Vanquish. It was alright. Needed more environmental variety than what we got, makes it feel very dated to the time period it was made in. Weapon upgrade system was annoying. Space section was dope.

Last edited:

robor

Vanquish was Shinji Mikami's baby and all his design ideas, he left Platinum Games many years ago, it also sold poorly so they just moved on. I don't see any sequel happening, or demand for one even within the company.

It's Platinum's IP. Hideki Kamiya made a sequal to Mikami's first baby; I don't see why they couldn't do the same here (doesn't have to be Kamiya himself).

even Metal Gear Rising 2 is more likely imo, heck a Wonderful 101 successor is already in development at Platinum Games, yet i can't say Vanquish 2 will happen in a million years

I thought the very same about Armored Core VI, and yet here we are....

Last edited:

anthony2690

Wasn't there a weird rumour years ago about a vanquish 2 being developed exclusively for Xbox? (I doubt it's true, as I highly doubt we will ever see the game return)

& I have no idea what Hawken is.

Edit:

Source of rumor, back in 2018 so most likely nonsense lol.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

It's Platinum's IP. Hideki Kamiya made a sequal to Mikami's first baby; I don't see why they couldn't do the same here (doesn't have to be Kamiya himself).

I thought the very same about Armored Core VI, and yet here we are....
Oh im not saying they couldn't make it, but that there doesn't seem to be any demand to revive that IP within the company(afaik)without Mikami , comparing Vanquish to Resident Evil is silly since the first RE was a big hit when it released. So a sequel was inevitable, not so much with Vanquish.

Other problem would be funding, Vanquish is a SEGA IP(not Platinum), SEGA doesn't appear to be interested in funding a sequel if they couldn't Bayonetta, so unless another company puts the money i don't see it happening (and no, i bet Nintendo would rather focus on other stuff like Astral Chain and Bayo)

Gojiira

Vanquish was so overrated and Hawken was wasted potential.
Hawken has more prospects in a sequel though, it NEEDS customisation and way more mech types.
Vanquish Idk, it needs to be more like that last phase of the final boss where all limits are removed, That was when the game shone, when you could just blitz around without excessive cooldowns. Like theres ways to make games difficult beyond just limiting players power fantasy. But no doubt it would be a Switch game so meh, not enough horsepower to really push it.

robor

You're in the wrong place, Gojiira.

NEXT CALL:

Nintendo is working on a new F-ZERO game for their next console as a launch title!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
All the key Vanquish staff left for Tango Gameworks shortly after the game came out... And Sega owns the publishing rights.

Gojiira

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Vanquish is GOAT tier Mikami. The boosting is one of the coolest mechanics ever and the sci fi setting is awesome. It was a unique game for its time, hell it still is.
Oh please, it was two hours long, linear with no enemy variety. Yes boosting was fun, yes the mechanics were fun but the gameplay/design is so underbaked. Also Melee draining all your energy and all of the OTT stuff being garbage QTEs are objectively shit design choices. No there are a lot of things that dont hold up. Dont get me wrong, I loved it at the time, but it is not a masterpiece, and peak Mikami is God Hand and thats not a discussion.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Oh please, it was two hours long, linear with no enemy variety. Yes boosting was fun, yes the mechanics were fun but the gameplay/design is so underbaked. Also Melee draining all your energy and all of the OTT stuff being garbage QTEs are objectively shit design choices. No there are a lot of things that dont hold up. Dont get me wrong, I loved it at the time, but it is not a masterpiece, and peak Mikami is God Hand and thats not a discussion.

It was not two hours long. What the hell are you smoking? Also, dropping God Hand as peak Mikami in a world where RE4, RE Remake, The Evil Within and Vanquish exist, just shows you have zero clue (or maybe zero taste?) what you are talking about. Your opinion hereafter is invalid.

Gojiira

It was not two hours long. What the hell are you smoking? Also, dropping God Hand as peak Mikami in a world where RE4, RE Remake, The Evil Within and Vanquish exist, just shows you have zero clue (or maybe zero taste?) what you are talking about. Your opinion hereafter is invalid.
It was two hours long mate, and ignoring all the other points I made shows how pathetic your retort is. You claimed Vanquish is ‘unique and still is’ and thats what makes it ‘peak Mikami’, that is wrong, God Hand has one of the most creative combat systems ever created and is without a doubt the most hardcore game Mikami has ever made. THAT is why its peak Mikami, it was him at his most creative.
If you want to argue over ‘quality’ then your own opinion is invalidated since Vanquish is nothing compared to RE4 so you clearly know jack and shit, opinion likewise invalid….

robor

NEXT CALL:

Gojiira is a whiney, entitled, self-appointed nonce with shit tastes!

Last edited:
Top Bottom