• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychologists find some interesting results about which gamers are the most aggressive (they all post on GAF)

Max_Po

Banned
That is what lack of exclusives does to you.

can't deny the science.

also proves that Phil is dying inside

Last edited:
Any gamer whom cant stay calm should be send to mental institution.

Damn apes screaming and breaking stuff because their ego is too weak to handle the fact that there are always someone better.

I've got angry once in my life while gaming, that were when I were 6-7y old playing on commodore 64 and I slammed TAC-2 on the desk, wire got loose inside and I had to fix it, I felt ashamed and bad when I realized how stupid and pointless it were to get angry because of my own failure.

That is how people should act, not this "I am adult but I act like 5 year old angry kid", but I guess that is too much to hope from an average person.

And I have noticed too that NHL, FIFA and COD/CS gamers have too much of anger management issues, that is why I dont hang out with people like that as they are usually bad persons in outside of gaming too

Dodkrake

Banned
964 people? That’s literally all the sample size they could get out of the millions of people who game? I swear science studies are becoming a joke. This study shows nothing other than what 964 people’s aggressive levels may possibly be and that’s assuming they answered accurately. Trying to categorise those results to show a trend is a laugh.

~1000 is plenty and yields a small margin of error. Just because you don't agree with the study, doesn't mean the study has not validity.

That said, the study could be absolute bullshit for all I care, but your assumptions are wrong.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Surely these psychologists haven't checked neogaf, where Playstation players are the most aggressive when it comes to shitting on everyone outside the cult,and the most aggressive in worshipping a plastic box where some nerdy guy with glasses is their messiah.

martino

Surely these psychologists haven't checked neogaf, where Playstation players are the most aggressive when it comes to shitting on everyone outside the cult,and the most aggressive in worshipping a plastic box where some nerdy guy with glasses is their messiah.

You're talking about the fan niche here and ps also has most of the mass market.
OT use an average hiding his own personal behavior.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You're talking about the fan niche here and ps also has most of the mass market.
OT use an average hiding his own personal behavior.

It just doesn't seem like a niche. Seems like there are as many cultists as Xbox players in general. But okay, also a vague comparison when PS4 sold ten times as much.

~1000 is plenty and yields a small margin of error. Just because you don't agree with the study, doesn't mean the study has not validity.

That said, the study could be absolute bullshit for all I care, but your assumptions are wrong.
There are so many variables in this study a sample size of 1000 has an insanely huge potential for results that literally mean nothing

Also I never said I didn’t agree with the results but simply you can’t draw any conclusions from them due to the fact of the variables and the fact a questionnaire was used to determine aggressiveness.

Last edited:

martino

It just doesn't seem like a niche. Seems like there are as many cultists as Xbox players in general. But okay, also a vague comparison when PS4 sold ten times as much.

depending what you're doing it's also fine to feel
we are alive creature capable of it
you not how i control my anger ?
a2589b1f7cd376f1e9dd67f63382963b.gif

Birdo

Banned
My own observations on Youtube and Twitter say otherwise.

But just like this poll, it's just anecdotal.

Dodkrake

Banned
There are so many variables in this study a sample size of 1000 has an insanely huge potential for results that literally mean nothing

Also I never said I didn’t agree with the results but simply you can’t draw any conclusions from them due to the fact of the variables and the fact a questionnaire was used to determine aggressiveness.

Please stop, really. A poll size of between 800 and 1200, if properly spread, can predict the results of the US election with a few % points: http://www.ncpp.org/?q=node/6#3

Edit: And before you talk about the variables, any person driving statistical data will agree that a 1000 poll size and a properly directed questionnaire will yield good results. Period. We're not reinventing the wheel here.

Do you know what wouldn't? Conducting this study in the US only, for example (Which is unspecified in the article).

Last edited:
Please stop, really. A poll size of between 800 and 1200, if properly spread, can predict the results of the US election with a few % points: http://www.ncpp.org/?q=node/6#3

Edit: And before you talk about the variables, any person driving statistical data will agree that a 1000 poll size and a properly directed questionnaire will yield good results. Period. We're not reinventing the wheel here.

Do you know what wouldn't? Conducting this study in the US only, for example (Which is unspecified in the article).
What? you can’t compare the validity of a vote and the validity of levels of aggression across multiple different games, this is not the same thing. Variable differences are huge

edit: also you seem to be missing my point, the results cannot predict the mental state of millions of people reaction to certain video games based of 1000 people answering a questionnaire. Votes are more simple you just say simply who you are planning on voting for but for this study you have to record the mental state of people, results are obviously going to have less reliability.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
You can see that on every forum, i dont see equivalents of mil grau or sasel on playstation or Nintendo fans

Dodkrake

Banned
What? you can’t compare the validity of a vote and the validity of levels of aggression across multiple different games, this is not the same thing. Variable differences are huge

edit: also you seem to be missing my point, the results cannot predict the mental state of millions of people reaction to certain video games based of 1000 people answering a questionnaire. Votes are more simple you just say simply who you are planning on voting for but for this study you have to record the mental state of people, results are obviously going to have less reliability.

Just so we are clear, here are a couple of peer reviewed studies using the Buss-Perry Aggression Questionnaire and less than 1000 sample size. These are 29 questions, as it's not the short form version of 12 questions:

And since I'm a nice guy, please find here the actual study data. There's no formal study paper I can find, and the methodology seems shaky at best, but your assumptions are still wildly incorrect.

So you could have legitimate questions on the validity due to location, sample pool, whatever, since they seem to be unknown, but your concern about a 1000 sample pool is unfounded.

Vroadstar

Tend to agree here, just look at alt accounts from them boys. I remember one X fan even had multiple alt accounts at the same time, reacting to his own post. What a clown 🤡

Past studies have shown that there is not necessarily a link between aggression and video game violence.
This must me why they found that Xbox gamers were more aggressive, they have no games, only gamepass... So they are very aggressive!
According to the study, Xbox gamers are the most aggressive gamers, outranking PlayStation gamers surveyed in all four of the categories.
I noticed that, but I thought that it was confirmation bias and that I just was not seeing it from psx or Nintendo fans.

So now I can recommend that all Xbox gamers get some anger management consultation with a professional free with their console.

Humdinger

Interesting. I assume the finding of Xbox players being slightly more aggressive can be attributed to them gravitating to multiplayer online shooters, which are linked to higher levels of aggression.

Appreciate you refuting those points. I just shook my head but didn't want to bother. 1000 people is a good sample size, particularly in this area, where sample sizes are often more like 50 or 100. The key issue is not so much sample size but whether the sampling was random and representative. As for margin of error, you can't infer that just from sample size; it's heavily dependent on the statistical attributes of the measurement (i.e., standard error of measurement).

I agree with those who're saying the actual differences are pretty small, even if they're statistically significant. That often happens in research. Statistical significance doesn't equal practical significance. There is some difference, but it's pretty small.

Last edited:
Just so we are clear, here are a couple of peer reviewed studies using the Buss-Perry Aggression Questionnaire and less than 1000 sample size. These are 29 questions, as it's not the short form version of 12 questions:

And since I'm a nice guy, please find here the actual study data. There's no formal study paper I can find, and the methodology seems shaky at best, but your assumptions are still wildly incorrect.

So you could have legitimate questions on the validity due to location, sample pool, whatever, since they seem to be unknown, but your concern about a 1000 sample pool is unfounded.
well you seem to know what your talking about more than I do lol so I will leave the debate there! So yes the method I disagree with but the 1000 I will concede you are correct on and I focused too much on it. Just a recommendation though don’t tel people to stop debating as people often learn through this.

Interesting. I assume the finding of Xbox players being slightly more aggressive can be attributed to them gravitating to multiplayer online shooters, which are linked to higher levels of aggression.

Appreciate you guys refuting those points. I just shook my head but didn't want to bother. 1000 people is a good sample size, particularly in this area, where sample sizes are often more like 50 or 100. The key issue is not so much sample size but whether the sampling was random and representative. As for margin of error, you can't infer that just from sample size; it's heavily dependent on the statistical attributes of the measurement (i.e., standard error of measurement).

I agree with those who're saying the actual differences are pretty small, even if they're statistically significant. That often happens in research. Statistical significance doesn't equal practical significance. There is some difference, but it's pretty small.
It’s good cause we learn, if no one refuted our points we would continue not knowing

Dodkrake

Banned
well you seem to know what your talking about more than I do lol so I will leave the debate there! So yes the method I disagree with but the 1000 I will concede you are correct on and I focused too much on it. Just a recommendation though don’t tel people to stop debating as people often learn through this.

Acceptable, sorry if my conduct wasn't the best.

Appreciate you guys refuting those points. I just shook my head but didn't want to bother. 1000 people is a good sample size, particularly in this area, where sample sizes are often more like 50 or 100. The key issue is not so much sample size but whether the sampling was random and representative. As for margin of error, you can't infer that just from sample size; it's heavily dependent on the statistical attributes of the measurement (i.e., standard error of measurement).

Fully agreed. This study is "shaky" at best, because they don't even provide us with the reasoning behind why they choose a specific country / how they collected their data / proper timeframes / if there was a control group (biased or not).

This seems like they just slapped the questionnaire on random "gamers" and then called it a day.

Big example of this (and I'm being as objective as I can here):

There are a lot of cultural differences between the Portuguese and the Brits. This study could yield wildly different results based on the country it was conducted to. Now, seemingly, this study was conducted in the UK, which mean that applying its results to "gamers" at large is incorrect. They can at a stretch say "gamers in the UK are X", but applying the same data without at least control groups in several other countries is just asinine.

Looked up sample questions of the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire.

1. Some of my friends think I am a hothead.
2. If I have to resort to violence to protect my rights, I will.
3. When people are especially nice to me, I wonder what they want.
4. I tell my friends openly when I disagree with them.
5. I have become so mad that I have broken things.
6. I can’t help getting into arguments when people disagree with me.
7. I wonder why sometimes I feel so bitter about things.
8. Once in a while, I can’t control the urge to strike another person.
9. I am an even-tempered person.
10. I am suspicious of overly friendly strangers.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Notice that Sonic Fans with tons of negative viewpoints on the franchise, of their own series they are a fan of. get aggressive towards the fans who especially cautiously optimistic?

All because of minor things, like Jaleel White doesn't voice the character anymore, or the color of Sonic's eyes. various things because of SOA's marketing extends to it as well (but the series didn't get by, with marketing alone)

People claiming to be "Non-Fans" might as well be "Fans in Denial" (Thanks YoungDefiant!)

Top Bottom