• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials Spend More Time Playing Video Games Than Gen Z and Teens

Deerock71

Guessing most of them have aged out or lost interest by now (morseo than millenials)
Arnold Schwarzenegger Anger GIF by TV4

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Millennials are the largest untapped market
Millennials aren't an untapped market.
Millennials was kids when the NES,MS, SNES,MD, GB,GG was out and were Teenagers when the PSX,SS,N64 was out and were young adults with the PS2/XBOX & GCN was out.
They was in their late twenties when the PS3/360 & Wii hit.
And were in their 30's with the PS4/XBO & Wii U.
Now in their late 30's, early 40's they're buying PS5/XSX & Switches.
As much as and maybe more than Gen X, they are the market.

Last edited:
Millennials aren't an untapped market.
Millennials was kids when the NES,MS, SNES,MD, GB,GG was out and was Teenagers when the PSX,SS,N64 was out and was young adults with the PS2/XBOX & GCN was out.
They was in their late twenties when the PS3/360 & Wii hit.
And were in their 30's with the PS4/XBO & Wii U.
Now in their late 30's, early 40's they're buying PS5/XSX & Switches.
As much as and maybe more then Gen X, they are the market

Younger millennials were also born in the mid-late 90s, making the market even bigger ( I honestly think the younger millennials are an even bigger part of the market imo)

Also I really don't understand how they think there's a generation "below" Gen Z that is in their teens. I'm pretty sure anybody that's 13 would be considered a young Gen Z (or the absolute oldest Gen Alpha, but there's no way their poll of "teens" is 100% 13 year olds

Garibaldi

look, I don't care if it upsets you, I have no pity for people crying about not wanting to go back to work. Welcome to adulting, management says you come to work, you come to work.
Haha ok buddy. Back to work. I never left. That's our point. I am management. We don't need to be in an office anymore.

Last edited:

bobone

I'm just mind blown people my age are averaging 3 hours of gaming every day.
Do they not have a job, house, wife, kids; are they just ignoring all the things it takes to be an adult?

If I got home from work every single day and said to my wife; I'll be upstairs for the next 3 hours playing a video game; I wouldn't have a wife for much longer.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Fuck yeah, my generation is hopeless and depressed, barely kept in check by piddling hand to mouth paychecks and antidepressants in conjunction with becoming a symbiote with our couches while endless streams of escapism flow into our brain until It's time for an unrestful slumber atop the head of another mundane period of time wasting, until we can go back Home and waste time in a slightly more sugary flavor.

That's today's motivational kernel. Stay in drugs, don't do school. Look both ways before running someone down on the street, etc.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Haha ok buddy. Back to work. I never left. That's our point. I am management. We don't need to be in an office anymore.
I’m a team lead in my company and we’ve actually encountered the issues you were talking about as well. 6 of my 7 staff work from home as we are digital and there is little point to make them come into the office. Also with the employee market if we want to retain employees we need to be able to offer these things.

The option to work in the office is there, but offices are not as “maintained” as they were before covid. More workspace sharing less privacy now. I work for a large AEC firm and have corroborated the same things with equivalents in other firms in the same industry.

As an employer, not having a flexible work plan where it makes sense means you didn’t learn anything from the pandemic.

Last edited:

Phase

my 14 year old nephew and all of his friends spend every second they have outside of school on social media and tiktok. They literally do nothing else. I don't think he has even used the console my brother bought him for xmas this year lol.

We had a bbq at my brothers house a few weekends ago and all 4 of the kids didnt look up from their phones for the entire 4-5 hours we were there. This generation of kids is gonna have issues for sure.
Exactly the same for my sister's two daughters. It's really sad actually. Just scrolling 4-10 second clips forever.

Phase

I'm just mind blown people my age are averaging 3 hours of gaming every day.
Do they not have a job, house, wife, kids; are they just ignoring all the things it takes to be an adult?

If I got home from work every single day and said to my wife; I'll be upstairs for the next 3 hours playing a video game; I wouldn't have a wife for much longer.
When I was working 60-80hrs wks a few years ago I was able to get about 1-2hrs average, and that was with a gf. I probably could have played more if my girl liked games, but alas. You just have to be efficient with your tasks throughout the day.

Last edited:

Griffon

Thinking about it... it kinda make sense.

The single most entertaining thing I could do during my teenage years was playing video games. No distractions from it, no alternatives. No social media, no youtube and no streamers/influencers vying for my time.
I've become conditioned to pay proper attention to the games I play over long periods of time.

Last edited:
Had to correct you there.
Remember there can be a 15 year gap between old & young Millennials.
And the difference between them is massive.
I personally don't think anyone born in the 90's should be classed as a millennial or people born before the 90's should have their own group.
They are way too different.

1977 -1983, or the “Star Wars years”, fall in to the Xennial category so we don’t have to associate with the tender hearts born in ‘84 up.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: TGO

Sojiro

Younger millennials were also born in the mid-late 90s, making the market even bigger ( I honestly think the younger millennials are an even bigger part of the market imo)

Also I really don't understand how they think there's a generation "below" Gen Z that is in their teens. I'm pretty sure anybody that's 13 would be considered a young Gen Z (or the absolute oldest Gen Alpha, but there's no way their poll of "teens" is 100% 13 year olds
It always puzzles me that the millennial time frame is so fucking large. I was born in 82, and resonate more with the Gen X crowd than all the people born in the 90's, but whatever.

I can't imagine spending more time with TikTok or other social media platforms than games, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I guess we see why companies focus so hard on remakes from our teenage years, they know who to target.

Nydius

It always puzzles me that the millennial time frame is so fucking large.
That's just it, it really isn't.

Silent Gen was a 20 year generation (1925-1945), Boomers were a 18 year generation (1946-1964). After that, they seem to have gone to a 15 year standard. Gen X is 1965-1980, Millennials 1981-1996, Gen Z 1997-2012.

I think what makes it so different between X and Millennial is how much the world changed digitally within the millennial generation. As you've pointed out, someone born in 81/82 still spent some of their early years in an analog only world, at least in elementary school whereas a Millennial like my stepson (born 1992) has never known a time without a computer.

Alas, I've long felt like these generational labels are far too broad. My older half siblings are early Gen X and they are decidely closer to Boomers in their attitudes and beliefs than I am as a later Gen X'er. My oldest sister in law (born 1969) is the epitome of a Boomer Karen archetype. I've pissed off more than a few fellow X'ers by suggesting we split X down the middle and give the front half to the Boomers and the back half to the Millenials. :LOL:

Last edited:
It always puzzles me that the millennial time frame is so fucking large. I was born in 82, and resonate more with the Gen X crowd than all the people born in the 90's, but whatever.

I can't imagine spending more time with TikTok or other social media platforms than games, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I guess we see why companies focus so hard on remakes from our teenage years, they know who to target.

It obviously depends on what source you use for defining generations (as they're rather arbitrary start-end points), but generally all generations are roughly the same length in years, usually ~15 years

like based on the source below
Silent Generation 1928-1945
Boomers 1946-1964
Gen X 1965-1980
Millenial 1981-1995
Gen Z 1996-2015

I've seen places where millenials stop at 94, some at 98, so it depends on your source,

Also that always how generations will work, they're arbitrary grouping which have some vague similarities based on certain events (9/11) or technologies (home computers, internet etc.) affecting us during our younger years, but when you're close to the edge of a generation you're going to relate just as much, if not more, with somebody in a different generation, being born in 93 I relate more to the older Gen Z (late 90s) than the older millennials (early 80s). They're more for historical context of a general idea than actually something that's supposed to affect our everyday lives, and like they definitely shouldn't be used for mass generalizations like how people constantly blame boomers, millennials, and now zoomers, for all of their problems

EDIT: I agree with you on the not understanding being on social media more than games though

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
Also, the economy is so bad for millennials, there isn't much entertainment they can afford.
Gaming still provides a lot of bang for your buck.
gaming has never been better.
f2p, roms more easier than ever to download and even better: you can still play old shit in a legal way on so many platform.
i remember being interested in sonic 3 back in the day and only one friend had a mega drive.
he did own the game.
we went to 3 different rental shops to finally rent the game over the weekend, only to play it during the 2 hour window when his parents allowed us to hook up the system to their tv in the living room.
we had planned that for one week during schhol only to play the game for 2 hours.
nowadays 10 year olds can watch hardcore p*rn on their smartphones without moving an inch.

kyussman

I think younger people today are too busy trying to come up with wacky new genders to impress everyone with on Tik Tok.....no time for fun.

Kacho

Gold Member
It makes sense. Each generation has that one thing that they gravitate towards for their entertainment. My parents spend their free time watching TV. I spend my free time playing games. Zoomers spend their free time on their phones.

I'm not surprised by this, having friends with young kids and having been a middle school teacher for a few years. Tik Tok is their entertainment, almost exclusively. If they have any interest in video games, they're not playing them. They're watching other people play them on Youtube and Twitch. Call me old, but I just don't get how watching other people play games is as engaging as actually playing them yourself.

Regarding the Gen X/Millenial split, I'm a firm believer in the the "Xennial" half generation (from 1977 to 1985), because older Millenials have very little common with younger millenials due to having had an analog childhood.

RickMasters

Gen Z are addicted to TikTok.
This....and cheap mobile games ...and occasionally fortnight (on a tablet or phone no less!) if their fav youtuber is streaming it. Gen Z are a different breed, and the exact reason I think consoles will become niche. they have next to no interest. and when they are interested in something..its not for long...they wont be playing big RPGS and dont care much for fancy 4K graphics and linear stories...they barely sit through a whole movie.

Whats kind of sad is that one day the gaming biz will cater to them, most of all. what kinds of gams they make to appeal to them will not appeal to....traditional gamers. I dont think Gen Z people even like that term.

Sleepwalker

I'm not surprised by this, having friends with young kids and having been a middle school teacher for a few years. Tik Tok is their entertainment, almost exclusively. If they have any interest in video games, they're not playing them. They're watching other people play them on Youtube and Twitch. Call me old, but I just don't get how watching other people play games is as engaging as actually playing them yourself.

Regarding the Gen X/Millenial split, I'm a firm believer in the the "Xennial" half generation (from 1977 to 1985), because older Millenials have very little common with younger millenials due to having had an analog childhood.

I agree, I'm a younger milennial (30, born 1992) and have little in common with people born in the 70s and 80s. I actually have more friends that were born closer to the 00 mark.

Kacho

Gold Member
Agreed. I'm technically a millennial being born in 82, but I have way more in common with the Gen Xers who listened to GnR and attended Woodstock 99 than I do millennial's born in the 90s that came to age when Angry Birds was the shit.

Fuz

Banned
I'm X and my brother is millennial, and your statement is TRUE.

Agreed. I'm technically a millennial being born in 82, but I have way more in common with the Gen Xers who listened to GnR and attended Woodstock 99 than I do millennial's born in the 90s that came to age when Angry Birds was the shit.
Same here. Born in 83 and I feel much closer to Gen X in tastes, attitudes, and experiences, than Gen Y.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Kids can’t hold their focus for long enough to play games. It’s tik tok scrolling all day everyday and YouTube. Kids spend more time watching streams of somebody else playing a videogame than playing. It’s already hard for older people to watch a movie or play a game without looking over to your phone every few minutes, how do you think it’s like for younger people?

I know people that as soon as the conversation dials down for a bit they pull their phones and start scrolling. Watching kids out in the open sitting around looking at their phones is normal, and they won’t walk anywhere without spending most of their walk looking at their phones.

It’s fucked up out there.

40 something, gen Xer reporting in. Seems to be consistent with what i seen my son and friends play. He was all into Gary's mod, roblox, minecraft, then got into fortnite, Rocket Leauge, COD , pubg, and Siege.
I never got the appeal, as i stopped multiplayer gaming on Battlefield4, Quake3, UT, team fortress, and eq2, lotro, diablo2. The microtransaction world of mobile influenced shyte.

Oh and they would rather watch twitch than actually play most of the time which was just sad.

I have always preferred CRPGs (think Baldurs gate/Might and magic), JRPGS, SRPGS(ff tactics/disgaea/Fire emblem), Strategy games (CIV, Homm3, Homeworld), Action Adventure(Castlevania, Zelda, GOW), Fighters (Mortal Kombat, soul calibur), Racing (NFS, GT7), FPS(borderlands, BFBC, Half-life, Doom), Platformers (mario, crash, sonic), Stealth (MGS, Thief, Splinter Cell), Survibal Horror (Resident Evil, Silent Hill), over any of the crap fps/gaas, stuff of today.

Yet gen z and many Millennials, will eat up the "buy our gold to level up with real money" bs. If you are asking for real money, it better be for an expansion or new single player game. Always shocked me how most of them weren't into mario and zelda but loved pokemon (something I was too old for when that came out and still don't understand the appeal).

Last edited:
Millennials are adults, they grew up with gaming and now have disposable income to invest in their hobby. I bet that what is holding back the gen z is money.
Really? Im a millenial and I played/bought more games when I was young and living with my parents than I do now lol

Arachnid

"Tweens, however, are most likely to play battle royal (49%), racing (46%) and survival games (39%); while Millennials gravitate more toward MMO (41%), strategy (27%) and RPG (26%) genres, with games like Elden Ring or World of Warcraft."

I was going to say this is stupid, but they have me pegged. How tf are you guys finding enough time to game 22 hours per week?

Top Bottom