• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP questions - homebrew related

Cloak

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you successfully downgraded your PSP from 2.6 to 1.5?

I've read different threads on all this PSP FW stuff, but I'm still a little confused.

I would like some suggestions if possible. Here is what I know:

1) My PSP is currently running 2.6

2) I bought it a little after launch (just after the spider-man 2 UMD deal was over)

3) It originally came with FW 1.5

4) I don't believe I have that TA board, because I dont see anything written in the corner inside my PSP.

5) I have GTA and homebrew does currently work.

My questions:
1) Just as above, has anyone tried this downgrade?

2) I heard there may be an issue with how much memory is free on the memory stick to do this
downgrade. I currently have a 1gb stick with something like 300+meg free, is that sufficient ?

3) If all goes well and I get it down to 1.5 what are my options to play PSP games that require a higher FW? DevHook?

4) How does DevHook work? Is it that you have 2.71 on the memory stick (but not installed) and the program fools the game into working under 1.5?

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.

Mod's please lock if this is against TOS. This is my curiousity talking. Thanks again.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Cloak said:
My questions:

2) I heard there may be an issue with how much memory is free on the memory stick to do this
downgrade. I currently have a 1gb stick with something like 300+meg free, is that sufficient ?

3) If all goes well and I get it down to 1.5 what are my options to play PSP games that require a higher FW? DevHook?

4) How does DevHook work? Is it that you have 2.71 on the memory stick (but not installed) and the program fools the game into working under 1.5?

1.) I never upgraded from 1.5, so I cannot help you. Pretty sure your iPod (errr, that is, PSP :lol ) is downgrade-friendly, however.

2.) I think the issue is that it isn't possible with the stock 32mb mem stick. But if you're concerned, backup the contents of the mem stick to your hdd, then wipe the mem stick clean. 1gb is absolutely going to be enough space. (Though keep in mind, I haven't done the downgrade).

3.) DevHook is the only solution today that's still relevant, IMHO. It may not work with 100% of the games out there (problems with Metal Gear Acid, I believe?), but nothing else works nearly as well.

4.) Properly install DevHook and the decrypted/uncompressed 2.71 firmware files onto your mem stick, and DevHook, when run from a 1.5 via normal homebrew means, will literally reboot the XMB and emulate 2.71 (and all of its functionality) from the mem stick. From there you can play flash files, customize your theme, browse the net, and of course load pretty much every UMD game available today.

Cloak

Mejilan said:
1.) I never upgraded from 1.5, so I cannot help you. Pretty sure your iPod is downgrade-friendly, however.

How'd you know I had an Ipod :D

Mejilan said:
2.) I think the issue is that it isn't possible with the stock 32mb mem stick. But if you're concerned, backup the contents of the mem stick to your hdd, then wipe the mem stick clean. 1gb is absolutely going to be enough space. (Though keep in mind, I haven't done the downgrade).

I'll proabably do that even if it is enough. I've already lost my finished GTA save file because i was messing around with directory in the PSP via my PC. Why can't they just name the save file "the name of the game" plus some number. damn it!! lol

Mejilan said:
3.) DevHook is the only solution today that's still relevant, IMHO. It may not work with 100% of the games out there (problems with Metal Gear Acid, I believe?), but nothing else works nearly as well.

So does that mean there are other ways of playing thats require a higher FW? Is there a compatablity list for DevHook?

Mejilan said:
4.) Properly install DevHook and the decrypted/uncompressed 2.71 firmware files onto your mem stick, and DevHook, when run from a 1.5 via normal homebrew means, will literally reboot the XMB and emulate 2.71 (and all of its functionality) from the mem stick. From there you can play flash files, customize your theme, browse the net, and of course load pretty much every UMD game available today.

I've heard of this also letting you play your UMD games off the the mem stick. Is the access time dramaticly different than it is compared just running off of the UMD?

Mejilan

1.) :lol
2.) I regularly back up my PSP's mem stick to my HDD.
3.) Sure. Solutions existed before DevHook was created. DevHook is a relatively new utility, actually. As I said, I don't think any of the older methods are even all that relevant anymore.
4.) Yep. I think that any game that DevHook can run straight from the UMD will also work if the ISO is ripped and dumped to the proper location on the mem stick. I haven't tried it, though. Running games from the mem stick does, however, make a HUGE difference. Ys 6 PSP is nigh unplayable from the UMD. I ripped my game to an ISO, ran it from the mem stick, and beat it that way.

ant1532

Banned
Why... Why.... Why did I upgrade to 2.7!!! Why!!!

Is there anynews on a downgrade coming for me anytime soon yet??!!??

Cloak

Interesting... Thanks Mejilan

Hopefully this downgrader from 2.6 to 1.5 works and gets enough responses so at least I'll feel more comfortable in doing it.

I mean I'm more or less ok with the whole GTA workaround but I just feel it's a bit of a pain in the butt.

I really feel dumb for upgrading from 1.5, but back then when 1st I heard about homebrew it seemed rather difficult... and of course the moment I upgrade, they come out with a nice and simple way.

My worst case scenerio is that have to go looking around for used PSP's with 1.5 on them (and obviously bricking my current one).

Any help from anyone is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Mejilan

I've got another buddy looking into downgrading his, but hasn't yet because he still has the stock 32mb card. I'll ask him for an update and PM you or something, if this thread's done by then.

Edit - Wish I could be of more help. But I learned my lesson. Sold off my first, launch PSP when, 2 days after I upgrade to 1.6, 1.5 is shattered wide open by the KXploit. eBayed it, bought a new one (still with the Spidey 2 UMD), and never considered upgrading again. Well, that's a lie. Valkyrie Profile had me on the verge of updating... but then a few days before it came out, DevHook broke 2.71. SALVATION!

Cloak

ant1532 said:

It's funny... I was in the mode of upgrading everytime a new FW came out in the hopes that there will be something cool for it. Except for the browser, though has it's share of problems (and it is many), has actually helped me on trip where my hotel gave free wi-fi access.

I did buy GTA:LCS and then I read about homebrew for 2.6, it totally revitalized my PSP. So my DS can have a little break.

Cloak

Mejilan said:
I've got another buddy looking into downgrading his, but hasn't yet because he still has the stock 32mb card. I'll ask him for an update and PM you or something, if this thread's done by then.

Edit - Wish I could be of more help. But I learned my lesson. Sold off my first, launch PSP when, 2 days after I upgrade to 1.6, 1.5 is shattered wide open by the KXploit. eBayed it, bought a new one (still with the Spidey 2 UMD), and never considered upgrading again. Well, that's a lie. Valkyrie Profile had me on the verge of updating... but then a few days before it came out, DevHook broke 2.71. SALVATION!

Thanks, and info on a real attempt would be helpful.

I really just hope, that if this is really true, and it works for me, otherwise, the wife will kill me if I tell her that I need to get another PSP. lol This is especially true since I made a rather large purchase on a pretty large monitor just recentely. :D

Mejilan

I'm pretty sure that the final version of the 2.5/2.6 downgrader works, unless you're REALLY unlucky. The big hub-bub early on was the outcry concerning some of the early betas. Lots of bricks resulted.

ant1532 said:

It was a good decision. Most all the best PSP games require a higher firmware, like 2.5/2.6. I upgraded and never looked back, since I'm playing tons of awesome PSP games now (Homebrew roms kind of suck IMO, due to poor quality).

Mejilan

Mana Knight said:
It was a good decision. Most all the best PSP games require a higher firmware, like 2.5/2.6. I upgraded and never looked back, since I'm playing tons of awesome PSP games now (Homebrew roms kind of suck IMO, due to poor quality).

Poor quality of what? Many of the ROMs look better than they ever did on my TV back in the day.

Mejilan

ant1532 said:
So no signs of a downgrader for a 2.7 user?

I think your only option, right now at least, would be that mod chip that came out around the same time as the 2.71 conquering DevHook.

abc223_86

I can confirm that it *does* in fact work. i downgraded after getting Me And My Katamari.

I remember reading it was a 93% sucess rate or something over at pspupdates

Devhook to 2.71 works good too, if it's still online

Cloak

abc223_86 said:
I can confirm that it *does* in fact work. i downgraded after getting Me And My Katamari.

I remember reading it was a 93% sucess rate or something over at pspupdates

Devhook to 2.71 works good too, if it's still online

Me and My Katamari requires what FW ver?

Did you go from 2.6 back down to 1.5?

abc223_86

MMK requires 2.6
i was perfectly happy playing the import (2.0), but i somehow lost it, so i bought the american version, bit the bullet, and upgraded.

And yes, i did downgrade from 2.6 to 1.5.
and with the flip of the wifi switch, i can select either 1.5 or 2.71 on boot, so i can play Loco Roco and Homebrew

Mejilan

abc223_86 said:
and with the flip of the wifi switch, i can select either 1.5 or 2.71 on boot, so i can play Loco Roco and Homebrew

Oh. How did you manage that one?

Cloak

abc223_86 said:
MMK requires 2.6
i was perfectly happy playing the import (2.0), but i somehow lost it, so i bought the american version, bit the bullet, and upgraded.

And yes, i did downgrade from 2.6 to 1.5.

Was that with a mod chip or software based?

I know someone who still has 1.5. So I need to get some files from him and then i can do the downgrade, correct?

suikodan

Yup, I used the Easy Downgrader (for 2.6 to 1.5). Very Installation Wizard-like process, it copies the files itself and tells you (with even a system voice) what to do. I was surprised.

You still need GTA though...

2) I heard there may be an issue with how much memory is free on the memory stick to do this downgrade. I currently have a 1gb stick with something like 300+meg free, is that sufficient ?

FYI, I did clear my MemStick just in case...

Devhook FTW.

Sorta, you select the option to boot the UMD disc and the FW. Then the PSP restarts and the game plays. OutRun at 333 Mhz is simply awesome.

Get it while you still can.

Cloak

suikodan said:

Yup, I used the Easy Downgrader (for 2.6 to 1.5). Very Installation Wizard-like process, it copies the files itself and tells you (with even a system voice) what to do. I was surprised.
You still need GTA though...

Is this a different downgrader than the one at PSPupdates? If so, link please.

When you say you need GTA, you mean for the downgrade process? or for once the the downgrade is complete?

suikodan said:
2) I heard there may be an issue with how much memory is free on the memory stick to do this downgrade. I currently have a 1gb stick with something like 300+meg free, is that sufficient ?

FYI, I did clear my MemStick just in case...

I'm not coming on to you or anything, but how big is your memory sitck? :)
I'm assuming you need at least the GTA save file to start this whole process?

suikodan said:
Get it while you still can.

You mean DevHook? What version are you guys using? I heard people using 0.44. I did a search (google) while go when I was interesting in it, I found 0.45

BTW I really appreciated all the help. Thanks guys.

Mejilan

Devhook 0.46 is the one I'm using. It's about a week old, IIRC.

Just be careful, it is the first version that allows you to fudge with your PSP's flash memory (flashing partial firmware, or some such). Leave that particular menu selection (and its submenus) totally alone, and it'll function exactly like 0.45 and merely emulate 2.71, just with the improvements of 0.46 (more stable, etc.)

Cloak said:
Is this a different downgrader than the one at PSPupdates? If so, link please.

When you say you need GTA, you mean for the downgrade process? or for once the the downgrade is complete?
you need it to initiate the downgrade process. after that, you don't need it.

I'm not coming on to you or anything, but how big is your memory sitck? :)
I'm assuming you need at least the GTA save file to start this whole process?
you can downgrade with a 32MB stick if you clear everything out except the necessary files

You mean DevHook? What version are you guys using? I heard people using 0.44. I did a search (google) while go when I was interesting in it, I found 0.45

BTW I really appreciated all the help. Thanks guys.
also using 0.46 here, not using the new firmware features though

Cloak

YEAH I DID IT!!!!! :D :D :D

I'm back to 1.5 boo-yah lol

Thanks suikodan, that Easy downgrader is perfect for me, holding my hand all the way through :)

Anyone have a link to latest ver. of DevHook?

ant1532

Banned
Damn, just got my PSP back from sister and realized how boring it is without homebrow... I forgot the sites that were all up in that, can someone hook me up with some good homebrew site links?

Cloak

A question about DevHook 0.46:

If you load up a game through Devhook then load up say GTA:LCS and you exit out you are on the main PSP menu and everything is set for 2.71.

I've tried hitting the file "return to 1.5 from 2.xx" and it works,

But what would happen if you power off the system while you are still in 2.71 mode?

Cloak said:
A question about DevHook 0.46:

If you load up a game through Devhook then load up say GTA:LCS and you exit out you are on the main PSP menu and everything is set for 2.71.

I've tried hitting the file "return to 1.5 from 2.xx" and it works,

But what would happen if you power off the system while you are still in 2.71 mode?
if you just go into sleep mode, it would boot up to right where you left it in 2.71

if you helod the slider and turned the power off, it would boot up in 1.5

Cloak

The Faceless Master said:
if you just go into sleep mode, it would boot up to right where you left it in 2.71

if you helod the slider and turned the power off, it would boot up in 1.5

Cool. Thanks

Top Bottom