• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Mega Previews: Vol. 2 -- Generation of Chaos

Beowvlf

Banned
Generation of Chaos

GenerationofChaos_PSPBOX_012005boxart_160w.jpg

Developer: Idea Factory
Publisher: NIS America
Genre: Strategy (Pseudo Turn-based)
Projected Release: February 2006

Official Site: http://www.ideaf.co.jp/generation/psp_goc/top.html (Japanese site)

Feature List:
-Massive 30 vs. 30 real-time army battles
-City economy/finance development system
-Fully customizable troops and commanders
-Ability to fight alongside or against neighboring kingdoms
-Choices during gameplay affect outcome of the story

Choice quotes from online previews:
IGN: "The 2D world map of the game actually takes place on flat square of land lined with movement squares similar to the design of a Mario Party board. Interspersed among the movement squares are cities you can control and work to develop their economies and finances."

Gamespy: "You both build up your own kingdom and fight with others. In true role-playing fashion, you start as a small fish in a small pond and work your way up. Order your commanders around during times of relative peace, in hopes of amping up your fortification, military, or economy."

IGN: "Command strategies are issued before battle and can be modified on the fly. The onscreen characters, once issued orders, fly at each other and play their role, whether it be warrior, wizard or healer in a battle comparable to something like commanding an attack in Starcraft. As your characters take damage in battle a gauge at the bottom of the screen fills up. When maxed, the player is capable of performing a super move which deals massive damage to the enemy. Preceding every super move is an animated cut scene that appears over the battlefield showing a character powering up a weapon or spell in preparation for its release."

Gamespy: "You command a field of 30 warriors during fights, who will follow your orders. You know what they say, though: If you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself. So, feel free to take control of a commander and kick a little first-hand ass."

Screenshots:
generation-of-chaos-20050608090257354.jpg

generation-of-chaos-20051107012156126.jpg

generation-of-chaos-20050608090257760.jpg

generation-of-chaos-20051107012229217.jpg

generation-of-chaos-20051107012228920.jpg

generation-of-chaos-20051107012217827.jpg

generation-of-chaos-20051107012234029.jpg

Teaser video: Windows Media -- Quicktime

My thoughts:
Frankly, I'm not sure how good this game will be. It looks great, and it certainly brings a unique style of gameplay not seen often, but Idea Factory isn't exactly the hottest developer in Japan. The series does however have an acclaimed history, and this iteration was met with somewhat solid reviews upon release, so there is certainly more hope than despair.

This PSP edition also marks the first time this long running series is making it's way to America, and for many strategy fans, that's reason enough to give it a go. There hasn't been many extensive previews yet, and to be honest I'm not completely clear on how this game plays, but I do know that it combines both strategic city planning/army building and pseudo real-time army battles. The balance between the two will be key, and let's hope both modes will have some significant depth to them.

silvon

graphics is not psps best (even legend of heroes looks better), but the premise sounds interesting. and it's always good to see less well known rpgs ported.

Matix

Well I'm pretty interested in this series, especially since its finally being released in the U.S.
I personally never played a GOC game, but I guess I'll start here :D

Top Bottom