• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSiKYO Vol.2 (Switch; region-free) stealthily opens pre-orders. $34.99. Nov.22nd. Gunbird 2, Dragon's Blaze, etc.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Hot off the press!

Seriously, I couldn't even find an article about the pre-order availability, so here ya go. PSiKYO Collection Vol.2 is now available for pre-order at play-asia.com, and a release date is already posted: November 22nd. 2018. Vol.1 of the series included Strikers 1945, Gunbird, SOL Divide, and Samurai Aces.

Vol. 2 offers three sequels and a forth super-special gem: Dragon's Blaze! This title has never before been ported to home consoles until it launched digital-only on Switch a few months ago. This will be the first physical home release of Dragon's Blaze. The three sequels in Vol.2:
Strikers 1945 II (considered by some to be the best in the franchise)
Gunbird 2 (considered by almost everyone to be the best in the franchise)
TENGAI (a.k.a Sengoku Blade. Sidescrolling shmup with incredible animation and creative enemy types)

Also, ATTENTION COLLECTORS (I know you're lurking...)

For $35, this is truly a steal. If you were to buy physical copies of Gunbird 2, Sengoku Blade, and Strikers 1945 II it would cost you about $200 and would require a Dreamcast and PS2.

kOkWDobmnrqEBFj.jpg!a-3-800x.jpg

Behold! A truly special game in the shmup genre. Dragon's Blaze.

The vertical-shmup ports in the collection also include a Tate mode (vertical orientation).

link to play-asia.com store page
(I would link an article but I actually couldn't find one that announced the release!)

Last edited:

cireza

The games selection is awesome. All fantastic games. I already have Gunbird 2 on DC, Sengoku Blade and both Strikers on Saturn.

And also on Switch lol. But I will probably bite anyway to have a physical version.

Edit : preordered !

Last edited:
Sweet! A great follow up to the first volume.

Though the question is, if there's a Volume 3, what are they going to be including on it, if it'll be another Shoot-'Em-Up collection?

They've now already done both Gunbird games, Strikers 1945 I & II, SOL Divide, Samurai Aces, Tengai & Dragon Blaze throughout these first two collections in which each of them were released individually on Nintendo Eshop for Nintendo Switch.

The only other two vertical Shoot-'Em-Up games on the Eshop by Psikyo, are Gunbarich & Zero Gunner 2-. They're going to have two more vertical Shoot-'Em-Up games in order to release another one, such as Strikers 1945 III (or Strikers 1945 Plus) & one more.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
I love releases like this because these games have subtle emulation bugs in MAME, so you'll instantly know whether they just ripped off the MAME source code or actually did the leg work to make the games perfect.

So far, the industry has about a 100% chance of not emulating a game better than open source emulators so I'm expecting the same bugs to be there.

Konami's X-Men arcade release on Xbox Live in particular is fucking hilarious. They actually went to the point of converting the game's intro to FMV because MAME doesn't emulate the 6 player version properly and they didn't want to have graphics bugs in it even though they didn't know how to emulate it properly themselves.

Porcile

I love releases like this because these games have subtle emulation bugs in MAME, so you'll instantly know whether they just ripped off the MAME source code or actually did the leg work to make the games perfect.

So far, the industry has about a 100% chance of not emulating a game better than open source emulators so I'm expecting the same bugs to be there.

Konami's X-Men arcade release on Xbox Live in particular is fucking hilarious. They actually went to the point of converting the game's intro to FMV because MAME doesn't emulate the 6 player version properly and they didn't want to have graphics bugs in it even though they didn't know how to emulate it properly themselves.

All these are on Switch already. No idea if they're perfect but I haven't heard any major complaints.

Hudo

YEAHHHHHHHH!!! Motherfucking pre-ordered!

Do you guys think that there will be a Vol. 3? There's a Strikers 1945 III (never played it, sadly...), after all ^^.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
YEAHHHHHHHH!!! Motherfucking pre-ordered!

Do you guys think that there will be a Vol. 3? There's a Strikers 1945 III (never played it, sadly...), after all ^^.
As S SoulChamber pointed out, there are only two other PSiKYO shmups currently on the eShop that aren't on a collection, so we may have to wait a bit for PSiKYO to release more content. Cannon Spike would be amazing.

Mecha Meow

Since these aren't available on Steam (except for a renamed Gunbird) and I enjoyed Gunbird 2 (and every other shmup released on it) on my Dreamcast, I'll probably jump on this.

As S SoulChamber pointed out, there are only two other PSiKYO shmups currently on the eShop that aren't on a collection, so we may have to wait a bit for PSiKYO to release more content. Cannon Spike would be amazing.

Ah Cannon Spike, my most played Dreamcast game along with Soul Calibur 2, MvC2, and DOA2. I would love to own that physically again!

Last edited:

Akuza89

I've only got gunbird 2 out of these...and that's digitally.

Having these physically is sweet, cheers DunDunDunpachi !

Top Bottom