• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS6 To Launch After 2027 According to Activision Blizzard Documents

Oh that's great,that's around the same time they stop releasing PS5 games on PS4 and we can actually take advantage of the new hardware by playing PS6 games on PS5 yeah baby!
I mean truth be told we didn't really get PS4 only titles until the year 2015 which was also 2 years after PS4s launch. 2014 had an insane amount of cross gen and so did 2015 with exception of Bloodborne and Witcher 3 as far as big titles go.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I agree, but this generation has been very rocky due to COVID and all these crazy studio acquisition. It will be a generation to remember one way or another for years and decades to come.

Yeah given that the PS5 launched at the end of 2020, I can see the PS6 arriving 7 years later

Yeah given that the PS5 launched at the end of 2020, I can see the PS6 arriving 7 years later
I mean it sounds about right, 2013 was PS4 and 2020 was PS5. Due to covid slow down though I think it will start around 2028 but 100% before 2030.

PS3 - 2006
PS4 - 2013 (7 years)
PS5 - 2020 (7 years)
PS6 - 2027 (7 Years, but article says AFTER 2027, so we're looking at probably 2028 or rather 8 year mark)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Seems reasonable, if not a bit long. The Ps4 felt very outdated to me by the time Ps5 launched.

I’d like to see Ps6 release 6-7 years post Ps5 and with a lot fewer cross-gen titles. But I’m expecting the opposite..

Last edited:

nial

so did 2015 with exception of Bloodborne and Witcher 3 as far as big titles go.
nope
Tell me about them then, I remember that big games were already skipping last-gen in 2015. I mean, Bloodborne, Halo 5, The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Batman Arkham Knight, Mortal Kombat X, Rocket League, Forza Motorsport 6, Until Dawn, Star Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed, Project Cars, Assassins's Creed Syndicate, Dirt Rally, The Order 1886, Dying Light, Mad Max, heck, even smaller stuff like Tearaway Unfolded and Ori and the Blind Forest were next-gen only.

goldenpp72

At this rate it better be well after 2027, they have barely started pushing these systems as it is, it'll be awhile before they hit any kind of ceiling. Hell, there exist late gen PS4 titles that still rival a lot of the PS5 output, time is needed more than new hardware right now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It feels like the console just launched last year. Surely PS6 will be backward compatible and by then they will focus on PS5/PS6 games which is when the real next-gen starts.

RCU005

The real question is about PS5 pro / slim

There won’t be a Pro version this generation. Xbox has the Series S, so why would Microsoft need or want to release a more powerful system than Series X?

The Series S is crippling this generation, and it’s definitely not like the Switch that they can count it as something separate (and Microsoft would never allow it).

Sony could release a Pro, but what advantage could it have? Third party developers will still need to release for Series S, so they can’t even take advantage of the PS5/Series X at all! And Sony just keeps releasing cross-gen games! (There’s even a rumor that TLoU MP will also be cross-gen, which at this time it’s facepalm inducing).

By the end of this generation (I mean when they announce the PS6 in some way), I bet there will be no more than 50% of non-cross-gen games. And no more than 10 games (third party or first) that you would say: “This game could never be done on PS4” Yes, no more than 10.

Last edited:

Damigos

There won’t be a Pro version this generation. Xbox has the Series S, so why would Microsoft need or want to release a more powerful system than Series X?

The Series S is crippling this generation, and it’s definitely not like the Switch that they can count it as something separate (and Microsoft would never allow it).

Sony could release a Pro, but what advantage could it have? Third party developers will still need to release for Series S, so they can’t even take advantage of the PS5/Series X at all! And Sony just keeps releasing cross-gen games! (There’s even a rumor that TLoU MP will also be cross-gen, which at this time it’s facepalm inducing).

By the end of this generation (I mean when they announce the PS6 in some way), I bet there will be no more than 50% of non-cross-gen games. And no more than 10 games (third party or first) that you would say: “This game could never be done on PS4” Yes, no more than 10.
So, what about a slim model ?

Sony

Nintendo
The later the better. Current gen at this moment is basically a refresh of a refresh. PS4ProPro and Xbox One X2.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I agree with some of your comment but I think we'll see more than 10 games that couldn't be done on the PS4

Death Stranding 2
Ghost of Tsushima II
Wolverine
Spider-man 2
The next Metro

That's five already I'm betting they all look 'next gen'

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
What!?!? A new console will be released 7 years after the current one just like that one was also released 7 years after the previous one?????!!! Crazy if true.

Helghan

Sony could release a Pro, but what advantage could it have? Third party developers will still need to release for Series S, so they can’t even take advantage of the PS5/Series X at all!
It really isn't crippling this generation. It's not like Sony's own games are much more advanced than 3rd party games.

This has been the worst generation yet. Can't get hold of a console for about 2 years and even now in 2023 there isn't any reason to get a PS5 because all the big games are still on PS4. Doesn't look like things will get interesting until 2024 with some actual exclusives.

I'm probably just going to skip PS5 entirely. The only game I want to play is VII Rebirth and that'll eventually be on PC. At this point the only reason I can see myself picking up a PS5 is for GTA VI and/or Persona 6 and let's be honest... they ain't coming out any time soon and likely towards the end of the generation so chances of next gen/PC versions is very likely.

winjer

Gold Member
A 7 year console cycle is normal. The question is if we are going to have Pro consoles.
Also, the question of whether we'll see some Slim consoles soon.
TSMC jacked up prices for all process nodes during the covid and mining boom, but now they are offering some "discounts" to entice some tech companies.
But the question is if it's worth it to reduce the SoC to N5.

JackMcGunns

PS4 seven years after PS3 and PS5 seven years after PS4. 2027 is twitter “insider” level of insight.

Right, but you missed the point, 2027 is the expected year, as you put it, even a twitter insider level can predict that, but it says it's "after", so breaking the 7 year norm.

Kilau

Gold Member
Right, but you missed the point, 2027 is the expected year, as you put it, even a twitter insider level can predict that, but it says it's "after", so breaking the 7 year norm.

The article itself is contradictory, stating in 2027, after 2027 and even 2026. Could argue semantics of what after 2027 means, if it's any time after the start of the year or fully into 2028.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Both Sony and MS are going to delay next gen as much as possible. I think it will be a longer 8-9 year gen. Maybe 10. Games are taking forever to make now and it doesnt make sense to do an expensive product launch while taking $100-200 in losses just to give players 60 fps and fast loading.

my guess is 2030 launch for PS6 with a three year cross gen period so 2033 is when we will actually get to see PS6 only games.

yurinka

This is a rumor coming from Reddit - I do not know anything or claiming that I do.

Reddit Source -

Original Source - https://www.gizchina.com/2023/03/10...rms-the-release-date-of-its-next-gen-console/

I think we already did talk about it when the document was published.

I mean it sounds about right, 2013 was PS4 and 2020 was PS5. Due to covid slow down though I think it will start around 2028 but 100% before 2030.

PS3 - 2006
PS4 - 2013 (7 years)
PS5 - 2020 (7 years)
PS6 - 2027 (7 Years, but article says AFTER 2027, so we're looking at probably 2028 or rather 8 year mark)

I assume their logic is:
PS3 november 2006
PS4 November 2013 (7 years later)
PS5 November 2020 (7 years later)
PS6 November 2027 (7 years later)

Probably it's only an estimation -no need to be an insider to make it- and even Sony still doesn't even know right now the real specific release date of the console.

Since CoD often releases late October/early November, I assume they mean that the 2027 CoD would be released before than PS6. So the console could be released after the 2027 CoD but still in 2027.

In any case, I may be wrong but the current Sony and ABK deal ends in 2024, and what was said in the CMA document was “By the time SIE launched the next generation of its PlayStation console (which is likely to occur around [blacked out]). It would have lost access to Call of Duty and other Activision titles, making it extremely vulnerable to consumer switching and subsequent degradation in its competitiveness.”.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Puts that Trojan Horse into more perspective.
Think About It GIF by Identity

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
They look good, but except for R&C which just used some of the Ps5's strength. They have nothing to do with next gen.
Not enough polygons? Too low res textures? Not enough ray tracing? What defines what a current gen game is?

Top Bottom