• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony doesn't expect PlayStation 6 before 2027, confidential document suggests

Del_X

There's zero reason to have anything but a mid-gen refresh... probably until 2030.

We need UE5 with bells and whistles at 60fps on console. That's the mid-gen refresh. Enhanced ray tracing and other stuff, too. We have only just begun developing games around current gen hardware and they are much more flexible than the prior gen. Even with the XSS running games at potato-resolutions, the jump in CPU, memory speed, and SSD access should give us experiences we just don't have.

Next gen should focus on chiplets, additional hardware resources for AI-driven physics, terrain deformation/destruction - things that really are leaps in how deep the player can interface with the world. That's going to take years of development before it's ready for production.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Since we don't have real PS5 games, that's completely understandable. The no games for this gen in two years isn't thou

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Plenty of time to do a revision of the PS5 that doesn't look like it was melted in the microwave. It's the least attractive console design since the Gamecube.
I think it looks great.
It’s silent, looks good, the stand makes it look even better and it just looks classy.
I am all in for not another black box. Or if they have to, make it kinda crazy like ps2. I like this style

yurinka

Sony traditionally releases their consoles every 7 years so pretty likely they'd release the next one in 2027.

But covid and the chips shortages happened plus there's a big economical crisis coming, huge inflation etc. plus this generation they'll need time to take advantage of the new tech because of the many paradigm shifts in the game engines allowed by the new SSD+I/O related tech. So I think that to expect an extra year or maybe even two before releasing PS6 makes sense.

In addition to this, I think this generation we'll see Slim revisions but not Pro versions of the consoles. First to reduce costs and make better usage of the available chips and second because we'll see the bump with the games that will start to take full advantage of the PS5 hardware, which this time will be released later than in previous gens.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
y9yOMAt.gif

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I haven't seen a single next-generation game yet and it's been 2 years since ps5's release. Castillo looks to be the only hope for something like that and that's multiplatform.

So yeah, it's difficult to be excited about what's coming next when everything we're playing now still looks like a ps4 game with higher settings.
Demon souls?

sachos

Yup, continuing that 7 year cycle, maybe 2028. But i think 7 years is enough time. But i think we just need to accept that we are now in a perpetual "cross gen" territory during console launches, the first 2 years of PS6 will be just upgraded cross gen PS5 games. From now one consoles will launch every 7 years but next gen will start 2-3 years after that.

NahaNago

No way we get a mid gen refresh imho. They’re raising the price on the existing hardware as it is, a pro would be like $899. And then once you make that system, how do you make a ps6 which is significantly more powerful but also comes back to the $400-$500 price that Sony likes for their launch consoles?
I doubt the ps5 pro would be $899, but I wouldn't mind at the same time. Most likely it would be $599 or possibly $699 if they really try to push it. The PS6 most likely isn't going to be $400-$500 at launch but more likely $600 to $700 thanks to inflation. The PS6 will feel significantly more powerful than the ps5 due to the fact that we won't be jumping to a higher resolution and doubling the fps during the ps6 gen unlike this gen where they seemed to try to push both more 4k and 60 fps games. They might bump up the resolution to 8k TVs if that is a thing at that time.

Yup, continuing that 7 year cycle, maybe 2028. But i think 7 years is enough time. But i think we just need to accept that we are now in a perpetual "cross gen" territory during console launches, the first 2 years of PS6 will be just upgraded cross gen PS5 games. From now one consoles will launch every 7 years but next gen will start 2-3 years after that.
It does make sense to have several of the games be cross gen for the first 2 years. I mean the third parties are most likely going to do that and why all of a sudden abandon your last gen console just because you released a new one. Create some games that show the reason why you made this new gen system and have some games for multi-gen release for those extra sales.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So yeah, it's difficult to be excited about what's coming next when everything we're playing now still looks like a ps4 game with higher settings.
So... A generation ahead?

The giant leaps of the past are gone. Technical improvements can only give diminishing returns. Better looking games now have to rely on the skill and creativity of artists, which is again limited by how many artists a developer can afford and how much time they can afford to give the artists to work. PSX/N64→PS2/XBox is never happening again. If that's what you want you're going to be disappointed every single time.

-Zelda-

Banned
Considering how draining it was to get the one I have now, I would be fine if they added a few more years to that target.

Take as long as you want Sony. I have a stack of ps4 games (crappy internet here) shoulder high. I'll get a PS5 the year before PS6 comes out and be a cheap bastard.

supernova8

Banned
I haven't seen a single next-generation game yet and it's been 2 years since ps5's release. Castillo looks to be the only hope for something like that and that's multiplatform.

Yeah, which is why I decided to buy an Xbox Series S. No point dropping $500 on a machine that will probably be replaced by some pro version in 2 years or something, and may not offer a lot that you cannot realistically play on last gen machines (whether or not they force next-gen exclusivity to make it seem next-gen). May as well as get Series S now to keep on all the games and then upgrade to a Series X Pro (or whatever they call it) later. Skip the Series X entirely.

Maybe Microsoft knew something we didn't and that's why they released the Series S? The longer we have to wait for "true next gen" games the better a deal the Series S seems. Imagine if they drop the price by like $100 in a year or so. Then you're approaching impulse purchase territory for any casual gamer who doesn't give that many shits either way and just wants to upgrade from whatever they have.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It's pretty much guaranteed. This will be a long gen with Zen 2 CPU on the console side. It's been such a slow start for current-gen and, I'm sure, it'll be a slow end until next-gen consoles arrive.

Sony doesn't expect PlayStation 6 before 2027, confidential document suggests​

Sony does not expect its next-generation PlayStation to arrive until at least 2027, a confidential document has suggested.

The partially-redacted document was released publicly today as part of the UK's ongoing in-depth Competition and Markets Authority review into Microsoft's proposed $68bn Activision Blizzard buyout - a deal Sony has strongly objected to.

In an intriguing passage discussing the length of time Call of Duty may remain on PlayStation, Sony claims that (at the time of writing) it expected to lose access to the franchise in 2027. Sony then goes on to state that by the time it "launched the next generation of its PlayStation console... it would have lost access to Call of Duty and other Activision titles".

Putting aside the possibility of whether Sony would actually lose access to Call of Duty (something Xbox boss Phil Spencer has recently repeatedly denied) the suggestion here from Sony is that the PlayStation 6 will not launch until after its feared 2027 COD cut-off date.

That puts PS5, which originally launched in November 2020, on at least a seven-year lifecycle - and potentially longer.

In the document, Sony states its concern that the loss of COD in 2027 would leave PlayStation "extremely vulnerable to consumer switching and subsequent degradation in its competitiveness" - presumably for when the subsequent console generation arrived.

"PlayStation 6 in 2028?" industry analyst Piers Harding-Rolls wrote on Twitter.

A redacted section of this passage does note the actual year Sony expects PS6 to materialise - although the public version of this has it blanked out.

To compare, PS4 launched in November 2013,
exactly seven years before PS5 - though the console remains well-supported today.

For its part, Microsoft has claimed it is keen to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation longer than 2027. Last month, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said he was keen to keep releasing COD on Sony platforms "as long as there's a PlayStation out there to ship to".

[/URL]
Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

If CoD is the center of Sony's business and they fear they might lose it on any future PSnon5, then they should just call the PS6 PS5-CoD360 the PS7 PS5-BOnerCoD the PS8 PS5-Series-CoD the PS9 PS5-CoDstation etc. I mean they act like CoD is the center of any gamer's decisions and quintessential to have CoD on it. 5 years to create a military shooter that is competetive to CoD shouldn't be impossible for Sony. EA might even be willing to make BF and or MoH exclusive to have at least names that have some recognition already.

I feel like console gens are over now. PS4 and PS5 both just felt next to no hype for. Maybe I'm just getting old but the term "next gen" is dead to me now. I'm glad I was alive to live through the genuine leaps in tech we enjoyed from SNES > N64/Playstation > PS2/Xbox > 360/PS3.

mitchman

Gold Member
PS6 doesn't need to do much more than being a PS5 with 60+fps and full ray tracing. RT improves games so much it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

makaveli60

Lol, sounds way too optimistic. This gen hasn’t even started yet and I see nothing on the horizon that screams nextgen (a la Matrix demo)

Last edited:

murmulis

It feels like that the PS4 gen still hasn't ended. We're still getting PS4 games and there are like 3 PS5 games out there.

7 years long gen are pretty normal, we need a leak if and when that changes.

I think they should soon adopt the incremental qualities of the phone models and drop support for the old ones as needed (after 10+ years... simple games 15 or so).

nbkicker

To be honest i got a ps5 on release day, and two yrs later havnt really played anything thats blown me away, i wouldnt even bother with a ps5 pro if sony gonna continue to make its games ps4 compatible

If CoD is the center of Sony's business and they fear they might lose it on any future PSnon5, then they should just call the PS6 PS5-CoD360 the PS7 PS5-BOnerCoD the PS8 PS5-Series-CoD the PS9 PS5-CoDstation etc. I mean they act like CoD is the center of any gamer's decisions and quintessential to have CoD on it. 5 years to create a military shooter that is competetive to CoD shouldn't be impossible for Sony. EA might even be willing to make BF and or MoH exclusive to have at least names that have some recognition already.
Ehm.... You know that the guys who made Medal of Honors MP (Allied Assault) so much fun, went on to create Call of Duty right? MOH had been dead for years.

murmulis

So... A generation ahead?

The giant leaps of the past are gone. Technical improvements can only give diminishing returns. Better looking games now have to rely on the skill and creativity of artists, which is again limited by how many artists a developer can afford and how much time they can afford to give the artists to work. PSX/N64→PS2/XBox is never happening again. If that's what you want you're going to be disappointed every single time.
Not really. Crossgen games can't take full advantage of the next gen consoles. They still need stuff like corridors that hide loading screens even when running on the PS5 or a PC with a SSD.

It's much easier to add higher res assets to a PS4 game than make a PS5 game to run on a PS4.

well fucking obviously.

this generation hasn't even really started yet. no games to justify buying any of the consoles. you can hold onto your XB1/PS4 or grab a Series S. No reason to splash out on a Series X or PS5. the "biggest" game yet, as some will have you believe, God of War you can play on your console from 2013.

it'll be another couple years before we start seeing true "next gen" games from both Sony + Microsoft.

i'll grab a Series X/PS5 when we get a slim/pro revision and proper current gen only games.

this generation is going to last longer than usual. 2028-2029 is my guess before we see PS6/NeXbox.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
this generation hasn't even really started yet. no games to justify buying any of the consoles. you can hold onto your XB1/PS4 or grab a Series S. No reason to splash out on a Series X or PS5. the "biggest" game yet, as some will have you believe, God of War you can play on your console from 2013.

A mate of mine is playing GoW Ragnarok on his Ps4 Pro. He's basically having the exact same experience I am on Ps5.

"Do I need to bother buying a Ps5 any time soon?" he asks me.

Guess what I answered.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Another 7yr cycle ensuring the PS6 will be held back by cross gen hell because of the enormous user base of PS5 owners to big to ignore, built up over 7yrs... :messenger_beaming:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
2024 for mid gen please, thanks.

50 series will also be out by then most likely. I think I'll put some money aside for both this time around. $1600 - $1800 should do it. Give or take.

Considering Covid, the chip shortage, the Ukraine war, this was always going to be a long gen, honestly I'd be surprised if it came out in 2027 and possibly 2028. And considering they're barely able to keep up with demand on both sides, I wouldn't expect a mid-gen refresh until 2025 at the earliest, if at all. It's not really as needed as it was last gen, the Xbox One/PS4 were way more underpowered at launch than the Series X/PS5, plus a potential long recession could happen soon, plus 4k becoming way more popular in the middle of that gen made it necessary too. We're a decade away from 8k mainstream adoption, and given the diminishing returns of resolution I don't think we'll be seeing 8K games for LONG time. For those reasons I'm unsure if a mid-gen refresh makes sense this gen as it did last gen

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In its response to the CMA’s concerns, Microsoft said the next generation of consoles is many years away and claimed any impact from the Activision deal was highly speculative.

“I[n]need the next new generation of consoles are not expected to be released before the fall of 2028 at the very earliest.”

In its partially redacted statement, Sony also references Microsoft’s offer to keep Call of Duty available on PlayStation until 2027, and how this could impact the fortunes of its next console.

“Microsoft has offered to continue making Activision’s games available on PlayStation only until 2027… By the time SIE launched the next generation of its PlayStation console (which is likely to occur around [redacted]), it would have lost access to Call of Duty and other Activision titles, making it extremely vulnerable to consumer switching and subsequent degradation in its competitiveness,” Sony wrote.

Top Bottom