• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - June 2021 - Sales

source
PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - June 2021

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - June 2021 - Sales​

by William D'Angelo , posted 20 hours ago / 1,292 Views
The VGChartz sales comparison series of articles are updated monthly and each one focuses on a different sales comparison using our estimated video game hardware figures. The charts include comparisons between the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch, as well as with older platforms. There are articles based on our worldwide estimates, as well as the US, Europe, and Japan.

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 384,323 - PS5

Total Lead: 3,932,497 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 9,748,029

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 5,815,532

June 2021 is the eighth month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 384,323 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 3.93 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 9.75 million units in six months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 5.82 million units.

The PlayStation 5 is currently 564,388 units ahead of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 1.05 million units.

Elios83

These numbers are made up by VGchartz and they're also wrong since Xbox Series is still way behind Xbox One sales launch aligned in the US (source leaked NPD numbers) which is their first market by far so it's really unlikely that ww they're 1 million ahead.
So emmm nothing to see here.

Interesting how VGChartz has the gap between PS5 and Xbox Series widening in June compared to May and April, while Famitsu, GFK and NPD have it closing because Microsoft shipped more and Sony did not.

Guess that tells everything about the data.

Famitsu is just Japan sales though right? So that wouldn't really be a good indicator or move the needle much in favor of the X. Latest July Data:

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. Switch – 52,867 (16,547,989)
  2. Switch Lite – 16,416 (3,947,619)
  3. PlayStation 5 – 12,271 (744,377)
  4. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,133 (144,964)
  5. PlayStation 4 – 678 (7,797,187)
  6. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 628 (1,167,979)
  7. Xbox Series X – 579 (45,293)
  8. Xbox Series S – 487 (15,867)
I guess for that month in the graph to complete close the gap or make a dent, it would need to be 500K more XS shipped, globally. But what you're mostly referencing is the UK market I think?

Famitsu is just Japan sales though right? So that wouldn't really be a good indicator or move the needle much in favor of the X. Latest July Data:

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
  1. Switch – 52,867 (16,547,989)
  2. Switch Lite – 16,416 (3,947,619)
  3. PlayStation 5 – 12,271 (744,377)
  4. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,133 (144,964)
  5. PlayStation 4 – 678 (7,797,187)
  6. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 628 (1,167,979)
  7. Xbox Series X – 579 (45,293)
  8. Xbox Series S – 487 (15,867)
I guess for that month in the graph to complete close the gap or make a dent, it would need to be 500K more XS shipped, globally. But what you're mostly referencing is the UK market I think?

Yes, Famitsu is just Japan and NPD is just NA and GFK is just UK or Europe.
But if all show the same pictures, it's true worldwide.

These are June sales:
In the US, Xbox Series outsold PS5
In the UK Xbox Series was up MoM, while PS5 was down MoM, so lower gap.
In Japan, Xbox Series was outsold by PS5 by just 6.5:1 (in May it was 25.5:1 and in April it was 50:1)

Last edited:

These are June sales:
In Japan, Xbox Series was outsold by PS5 by just 6.5:1 (in May it was 25.5:1 and in April it was 50:1)

Ahh, yeah. Then for sure that gap should be closed or at least a heavily upward trend, I honestly thought VGChartz was a little more on top of things than that? Last time I ever quote an article from them lol.

ethomaz

Banned
I don’t think these numbers are nowhere close to reality.

Just take in mind that MS is limited to use 40k wafers this year… even if they are very lucky (wields amazing good) they will reach around 8.5 million chips with 25% of wafers being Series X (if you increase the % you get less chips overall because Series X is bigger than Series S).

Same for Sony that is limited to 80k wafers or around 16 million chips this year.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Ahh, yeah. Then for sure that gap should be closed or at least a heavily upward trend, I honestly thought VGChartz was a little more on top of things than that? Last time I ever quote an article from them lol.
That was your first mistake.

It’s been long known they just make shit up. It used to be a banned source here because of how incorrectly they “estimate” things.

Banjo64

cumsessed
source

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Sales Comparison - June 2021 - Sales​

by William D'Angelo , posted 20 hours ago / 1,292 Views
The VGChartz sales comparison series of articles are updated monthly and each one focuses on a different sales comparison using our estimated video game hardware figures. The charts include comparisons between the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch, as well as with older platforms. There are articles based on our worldwide estimates, as well as the US, Europe, and Japan.

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S both launched in November 2020. The PlayStation 5 launched November 12, 2020 in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, and the rest of the world on November 19, 2020. The Xbox Series X|S launched worldwide on November 10, 2020.

PS5 Vs. XSX|S Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 384,323 - PS5

Total Lead: 3,932,497 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 9,748,029

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 5,815,532

June 2021 is the eighth month the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 384,323 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 3.93 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 9.75 million units in six months, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 5.82 million units.

The PlayStation 5 is currently 564,388 units ahead of the PlayStation 4 when you align launches and the Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Xbox One by 1.05 million units.
10 to 6 would be a good ratio for Xbox.

I have to say I’m glad they are besting the Xbox One, which was a truly terrible concept and launch.

Why must we VGcharts...we still VGCharts. I feel sorry for you OP because you put some effort into this but unfortunately were blindsided by the bullshit that is VG Charts

Thankfully, it was minimal effort lol. As I now understand it, they basically pull numbers from their bums (Best guess then correct after more solid numbers come out) I am forever filing them under my cannon fodder folder lol.

ethomaz

Banned
Can’t wait for the day when official numbers corroborate (+-10%) VG Chartz and the amount of crow you all will be eating. It always happens that way.
Can't wait they get that official numbers and correct their way off numbers to match them.
That is what happened in 99% of the times new official data is realased.
Of course a broken clock is still twice right per day.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
These sales data mean very little until either reaches the point where supply can meet demand.

The only curious thing is how Sony manages to produce so many more PS5s than Microsoft can produce Series S|X.
I could be wrong (probably am) but I believe MS were using a lot of the series boards for cloud blades vs building consoles.

Interesting how VGChartz has the gap between PS5 and Xbox Series widening in June compared to May and April, while Famitsu, GFK and NPD have it closing because Microsoft shipped more and Sony did not.

Guess that tells everything about the data.

These are June sales:

I think you should be aware every time that NPD is US/Canada only, Famitsu is Japan and GFK is mostly UK only. There is the rest of the world, though. If Sony shipped less console in UK, but still was at top, but this time MS shipped more Xbox, doesn't mean Sony shipped less PS5s worldwide than MS Xbox last month. Same can be applied for US and Japan. There is a high possibility that Sony shipped more units to countries where the markets for consoles are smaller, but less was intended for US/UK/Japan. Mine country received huge batch last month. But surely this month will be scarce. As also, this post below explains it well too.

I don’t think these numbers are nowhere close to reality.

Just take in mind that MS is limited to use 40k wafers this year… even if they are very lucky (wields amazing good) they will reach around 8.5 million chips with 25% of wafers being Series X (if you increase the % you get less chips overall because Series X is bigger than Series S).

Same for Sony that is limited to 80k wafers or around 16 million chips this year.

Last edited:
vgchartz isnt a good source for sales. stick to offical data. vgchartz has no idea and just take a good guess.

Last edited:
I think you should be aware every time that NPD is US/Canada only, Famitsu is Japan and GFK is mostly UK only. There is the rest of the world, though. If Sony shipped less console in UK, but still was at top, but this time MS shipped more Xbox, doesn't mean Sony shipped less PS5s worldwide than MS Xbox last month. Same can be applied for US and Japan. There is a high possibility that Sony shipped more units to countries where the markets for consoles are smaller, but less was intended for US/UK/Japan. Mine country received huge batch last month. But surely this month will be scarce. As also, this post below explains it well too.
So what if we just wait for official figures from Sony and Microsoft?

Sony will ship less consoles in Q2 compared to Q1 with 99.9% certainty.
Microsoft on the other hand will have higher Q2 hardware sales compared to Q1 with 99.9% certainty.

Does that finally count?
Spain a smaller market is the same by the way.
Any market we have real data from shows the same. But somehow those we don't have data from are different and the polar opposite? Sony shipping more than previous months and Microsoft less compared to previous months?

That's not really plausible as supply chains, logistics and whole sale don't work that way.
You just change up your allocation that heavily. That's also the reason, why Series S is completely sold out in the US, but not in Europe. So why didn't MS ship more to the US and less to Europe? Because they can't easily and its not worth it.

SaucyJack

So what if we just wait for official figures from Sony and Microsoft?

Sony will ship less consoles in Q2 compared to Q1 with 99.9% certainty.
Microsoft on the other hand will have higher Q2 hardware sales compared to Q1 with 99.9% certainty.

Does that finally count?
Spain a smaller market is the same by the way.
Any market we have real data from shows the same. But somehow those we don't have data from are different and the polar opposite? Sony shipping more than previous months and Microsoft less compared to previous months?

That's not really plausible as supply chains, logistics and whole sale don't work that way.
You just change up your allocation that heavily. That's also the reason, why Series S is completely sold out in the US, but not in Europe. So why didn't MS ship more to the US and less to Europe? Because they can't easily and its not worth it.

I think you’ll have a good old wait for those official Microsoft numbers.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
According to vgcharts I sold 3 million units of the dvdvideo-a-tron 3 this quarter. It was a good quarter for me.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
So, even with MS offering the Series S at half the price of the PS5, Sony's machine is still at almost double the install base of both new Xboxes combined? Wow.
You'd have a point if it were just console sales for Series X|S. It isn't though . Only Sony and Nintendo still roll via console sales. In fact, isn't counting merely console sales kind of archaic??

Even if VGCharts was accurate I'll never understand why people care about console sales unless they own stock in the company. Like as long as a console is doing well enough to make sure they'll continue making consoles (which all 3 clearly are) then it doesn't matter.

RayHell

VGChartz numbers never meant to be exact but serve to highlight a tendency. They never went that far from official numbers and always display the same tendency.
Props to Gaf user who never did the work of tracking distribution numbers but come here as data expert disregarding other people work.

Top Bottom