• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

geordiemp

That was going to be my first question to %99.9999 Of Neogaf members who are engineers by profession degree..

so this shit once again a commercial flight for another 7-8yrs,??? dissapoint if it happens to be the case.

Maybe some of us are, whats your point ? Its a great design, spread heat sink over a larger section is better.

Centrifulgal fan probably moves more than 10 x more air at same RPM, it will shift some CFM if it needed and be quiet

Last edited:

Roufianos

214712.gif

Secret Sauce™

This Gif needs to be in every Sony thread going forward.

Traxtech

It looks like it’s brass or something too. Is that to contain liquid metal?

No it's just copper heat pipes, which has the best heat transfer for cooling. Fins are nickel, which is the next step down from copper in regards to transfer I believe(actually, given the cost it's probably aluminium)

Something that size would be on par with a vapor chamber since it has 4 massive heat pipes on one section and 6 on the apu plate section. Biiiiig heat dispersion is at play here

People should be heaps happy with the result

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't think it is clear at all what that is.

I can tell that those are screw holes, and the numbers mean the length type of the NVME. You need to secure an NVME in almost any PCIE slot. This is no different. the bracket looks like it goes over top hence why they said NVME's with heatsinks would be possible issue. The metal plate foes over top and then screws into place once you set in your NVME.

mitchman

Gold Member
2TB will be almost the cost of a PS5 Digital. Wait for prices to come down in a year or so and just deal with the 665GB:
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB is only USD $220 or so, and it's rated at 7 GB/s read speeds, should be enough.

Max_Po

Banned
Okay so ps5 has on-board 825 g ssd in 3 parts ... (whatever they are called; soldered on the motherboard)... from that you get 665 gig.

OS takes up to 160 gigs

Engineer says 2 years spent on liquid metal testing/preparation.

Although using heat pipes, performance is similar to vapor chamber.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
edit: The pcb is way too big with empty space on it, there is ton of plastic and empty spaces. The console could've been 2x smaller. They are surely preparing slim
That's not how it works, it could be big, simply because of thermal design or it is big, because they wanted to safe manufacturing cost of more layered board, this the amount of interconnections on the board is so big, it's displaced on the surface rather then in the depth of the PCB.

I watched the video. What an utterly pointless demand some people were making. So much pining for a teardown when it's just like any fucking computer. Fan, PCB, drives, heatsink, and power supply. OH MY GOD! The fucking world has changed now that I see this.

I'm a goddamn computer engineer, and this is completely and utterly useless. You learn nothing of importance from this. What, the cooling solution? Who cares? The damn unit has to stay as-is, in the closed case, for it to work. Knowing that it's a 120mm fan changes nothing at all.

I don't know why, but I'm now completely vexed that there were people howling at the moon for this, and spreading all kinds of FUD as a result of not having this video. A bunch of fucking drama queens. Ugh.
Oh, it means a lot for some people. Just watch for FUD about liquid metal cooling and how problematic it will be in the long run. I’m sure we will see something like that later today or tomorrow.

Dibils2k

holy shit that truly looks enourmous 🤣 they should have got a bigger guy to show it 😆

i really think we could get customised side plates, looks simple to take off

Last edited:
Top Bottom