• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

ethomaz

Banned
Only one who should read anything about that is you.

There is your not existing corrosion:

It also reacts with copper, but resulting alloy is not as brittle.

And there is your not existing degradation:

First Sony used materials not corrosive by liquid metal... these dumb users that tries to use liquid metal with aluminum fans are the issue here.

If you want to use liquid metal buys a proper cooler.

Second liquid metal doesn’t degrade... what you see here is bad apply of the liquid metal that end compromising the cooling over the time.

If you do everything right then it will last forever and you will only need to reapply if you need to upgrade the part you used liquid metal.

You won’t need to reapply PS5 liquid metal... it was not designed for that.

Last edited:

seanoff

It’s a functional design and the form is following.
This is a dwelling design site. But airflow is airflow. If you read it you’ll probs get a hint why the shape is what it is.

“Size of openings
Largest air velocity happens if the inlet is small and the outlet is large. The total force is acting on a small area and forcing air through the opening at a high pressure. If the inlet opening is large, air velocity will be low but the volume of air passing in unit time will be higher. Therefore, large inlet openings are desirable when the wind direction is not constant, or airflow through the whole space is required.

Wing Walls
To increase the cooling effectiveness of natural ventilation techniques, especially on sites with low outdoor air velocity and variable wind directions, it is possible to incorporate wing walls into the building design. Wing walls project outward next to a window even a slight breeze against the wall creates a high pressure zone on one side and low on the other. The pressure differential draws outdoor air in through one open window and out the adjacent one.”

sony Can dictate the wind direction by throwing a fan or 3 in. So likely in at the thin end. Out at the thick. The wings to help draw in more air. So this more scientific design rather the the PS4s brute force 747 engine on the chip design.
Has there been any explanation (or clarification) as to why it seems like the air intake is at the top?

Maybe it's a bad Japanese to closed caption translation. Maybe the fan at the top is actually the exhaust. But if the air intake is at the top, that's just ... bad design?
See me quoting myself above

Maybe the plates are necessary.
Would transparent plates satisfy you?

There's nothing wrong with the plates mate, so don't be a smart ass. :messenger_beaming: I was just hoping for the PS5 to run cooler with the plates off after my PS4 Pro debacle. But it's best to leave them on, so that the two dust traps will work by designed, and dust doesn't get through the entire system as others have already stated.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
duce41u2arr51.png

If the console isn't out yet, why is it able to be reviewed at this time?

Yeah, that’s not what I said...

You were complaining about how monstrously big the PS5 is compared to your antiqued desktop. When I pointed out that the PS5 is 20x more powerful than your old desktop, you said this below:

Yeah, that’s not what I said...

"Those drives get hot as fuck though... Melt right through that plastic? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Thing is fucking huge. Almost embarrassingly so. It’s almost the size of an old beige desktop. Really not looking forward to having to deal with that."

That was what you had said. I then pointed out that the PS5 is the same size as your antique desktop, because it's 20x more powerful, which needs more cooling solutions. You came back with your phone is 20x more powerful than your desktop, but it's small, and I just asked you if your phone was as powerful as the PS5. Now unless you have a 10 TF phone, I wouldn't be comparing it's size with the PS5. Cheers!

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
What does this mean to me in terms of gaming? I don't know computer speak.
It means that there's a high likelihood of many drives being compatible because it's not just one size that they'd have to be.

So as prices on these nvme drives goes down over the next few years, we can expand for cheap because so many will fit.

Tschumi

Someone make a meme of Xbox guy crouched in a game store with a huge needle that says "liquid metal" stuck in the CD slot of the XSX

You were complaining about how monstrously big the PS5 is compared to your antiqued desktop. When I pointed out that the PS5 is 20

"Those drives get hot as fuck though... Melt right through that plastic? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Thing is fucking huge. Almost embarrassingly so. It’s almost the size of an old beige desktop. Really not looking forward to having to deal with that."

That was what you had said. I then pointed out that the PS5 is the same size as your antique desktop, because it's 20x more powerful, which needs more cooling solutions. You came back with your phone is 20x more powerful than your desktop, but it's small, and I just asked you if your phone was as powerful as the PS5. Now unless you have a 10 TF phone, I wouldn't be comparing it's size with the PS5. Cheers!

You’re not prosecuting a trial lol. What I actually meant (and having said it who would know better?) is that my phone is also 20x more powerful than my old beige desktop, but manages not to be the size of a small house.

Traxtech

I hope people don't expect to vacuum the holes once a year and expect it to do anything.

There's so many variables in regards to what can make it worse quick as in humidity, if you smoke in the house, pet hair, oil from cooking if you have an open living setup and living in an area that has desert dust etc etc.

If you look at the heatsink it has notches where the vacuum holes are, it's only going to clean a fraction of the heatsink so don't expect miracles unless you keep ontop of it and even then it's going to get a build up in places you can't reach.

Last edited:

Kdad

He's not an engineer but Dave Lee's take on it. Listen closely to everything he says. Completely on the money:

Opinions based on watching the same videos everyone of GAF has watched. I don't see what this guy is adding to the mix or why I should care about his opinion...he watched a vid, said big fan means quiet and liquid metal is good stuff....ok...

but he didn't fucking talk about the UI did he. That is the new drum we have to beat to death. 5 threads tomorrow on how quite SONY is being about the UI and that the UI doesnt exist or they'd show it...

A lot of thought went into this design, even the smallest of things like the base have a lot of thought in it. Would have liked to have seen Cerny himself do it... I'm sure he would have had more commentary as a native english speaker but I understand why they wanted someone from the engineering team to do it to represent them.

Last edited:

Kdad

I hope people don't expect to vacuum the holes once a year and expect it to do anything.

There's so many variables in regards to what can make it worse quick as in humidity, if you smoke in the house, pet hair, oil from cooking if you have an open living setup and living in an area that has desert dust etc etc.

If you look at the heatsink it has notches where the vacuum holes are, it's only going to clean a fraction of the heatsink so don't expect miracles unless you keep ontop of it and even then it's going to get a build up in places you can't reach.
So...lets not have them at all?

Kdad

A lot of thought went into this, even the smallest of things like the base. Would have liked to Cerny himself do it... I'm sure he would have had more commentary as a native english speaker but I understand they wanted someone from the engineering team to do it to represent them.
Actually would have fucking rocked to have Cerny do it...but do it in Japanese just because he can.
Can someone deep fake Cerny's head on our engineering friend here.

Last edited:
Looks like a PS5. Seems cool. Fan is thicc! Mostly in here for the haters who claim not be fanboys. They just hate when people oodle
I don't think it's there at all?
It was probably something specific for that preview unit, but I have no idea why it would be there.
Mystery nut no longer there... PS5 officially downgraded :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The Alien

Banned
Not sure why Sony ain't chatting about it, buy if those covers pop off and can be replaced with customized (painted, etc) or special editions (Spider-Man, God of War, etc.)....that'd be really kick ass.

Audiophile

Not sure why Sony ain't chatting about it, buy if those covers pop off and can be replaced with customized (painted, etc) or special editions (Spider-Man, God of War, etc.)....that'd be really kick ass.
Cool thing is, Sony don't have to make it an official feature. If they come off then people will make them anyway.

You’re not prosecuting a trial lol. What I actually meant (and having said it who would know better?) is that my phone is also 20x more powerful than my old beige desktop, but manages not to be the size of a small house.

Let's move on. It's late here at night. We'll pick this up tomorrow if you like.

They want to sell their own :) or have an announcement about a line up of them later which they'll charge premium for...

Probably for that reason.

Kdad

They mentioned a couple months back that they would speak of special editions later...i'm imagining with the possible supply issues with covid that adding extra skus might not be something they want to do yet, plus lets get the preorders out the door first?

TLZ

Banned
Is it just me or does anybody feel like sony just said fuck DF and did their own on purpose?

Side note I don't understand why people care about this type of thing as long as the fucker turns on and plays my games good for it lol but to each their own I guess.
Why would they care about small fries DF when they can do it themselves and get more views?

I care about such videos because I like to see how they made it. I like to see what effort and design went into it. Now we know for sure the cooling solution is very good. Monstrous heatsink, big and thick fan, and liquid metal. This puts us at ease.

Devilich

Has there been any explanation (or clarification) as to why it seems like the air intake is at the top?

Maybe it's a bad Japanese to closed caption translation. Maybe the fan at the top is actually the exhaust. But if the air intake is at the top, that's just ... bad design?

The air intake is on top to reduce dust inhalation in the vertical position(if it where at the bottom it would just suck all the dust that might be lying around in)

In horizontal position you would run into that problem none the less. So additional to being on top, the air intake is at the front as well, where airflow is generally better and more prominent in most home entertainment setups (furniture-wise, front is more open most of the time).

Other way around would just call for trouble in the long run.

NewYork214

I'm really excited to get ps5 whenever I'm able to. But I can't believe that video has over 4 million views already. That shit is crazy

MastaKiiLA

The air intake is on top to reduce dust inhalation in the vertical position(if it where at the bottom it would just suck all the dust that might be lying around in)

In horizontal position you would run into that problem none the less. So additional to being on top, the air intake is at the front as well, where airflow is generally better and more prominent in most home entertainment setups (furniture-wise, front is more open most of the time).

Other way around would just call for trouble in the long run.
This actually makes sense. Particularly, the cleaner airflow. The front of the device is usually less obstructed, due to accessibility to drives, so yeah. Having it high should make it less prone to sucking up settled dust, and the cross-section is small, so any dust settled on the top of the machine is minimal. Vertical it is then.

GymWolf

After this teardown what the experts in here think?? Is that incredibly high clock for the gpu possible most of the time with this cooling solution?!

Vae_Victis

Banned
After this teardown what the experts in here think?? Is that incredibly high clock for the gpu possible most of the time with this cooling solution?!
Isn't the whole point of the PS5 that the power draw is constant, so no matter what is or isn't draining more power at any given moment the heat produced should be pretty much stationary regardless?

Isn't the whole point of the PS5 that the power draw is constant, so no matter what is or isn't draining more power at any given moment the heat produced should be pretty much stationary regardless?

That is my understanding. GPU clocks will be dependent on CPU utilization and how much power can be siphoned away. Thermals shouldn't matter.

geordiemp

CPU and GPU are not busy at same time in a 16 ms frame, CPU does work and then GPU does what its told.

As long as the power switching is the rumoured 2ms, thats fast enough to divert power multiple times per frame to where its being used at that time.

GymWolf

It's the point in theory, but you still need a beast of cooling system to back up the theory.

Most people was skeptic about this because not even pc with top tier cooling system can sustain that clock for much long.

Top Bottom