• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

Lysandros

You Your friend can afford an expensive console but can't get basic tools like a screwdriver? It is like buy canned food but don't have a can opener at home.
I think the small tool he used will be included in the retail box but that's just my guess. It's basic, must be almost free to produce.

Vae_Victis

Banned
CPU and GPU are not busy at same time in a 16 ms frame, CPU does work and then GPU does what its told.

As long as the power switching is the rumoured 2ms, thats fast enough to divert power multiple times per frame to where its being used at that time.
I know, I was strictly talking about how heat is strictly dependant on power, and if the power is constant then the heat should be more or less constant as well? It was in response to the idea of "lowering the clock because of heat", which assumes a completely different paradigm.

Last edited:

FrankWza

This actually makes sense. Particularly, the cleaner airflow. The front of the device is usually less obstructed, due to accessibility to drives, so yeah. Having it high should make it less prone to sucking up settled dust, and the cross-section is small, so any dust settled on the top of the machine is minimal. Vertical it is then.

Im going vertical to start this gen because of my setup. I never do since there’s usually issues when consoles are placed vertically. I think the PS5 was really designed to go either way.

Yoboman

It's the point in theory, but you still need a beast of cooling system to back up the theory.

Most people was skeptic about this because not even pc with top tier cooling system can sustain that clock for much long.
Wasn't that assumption based on RDNA1?

GymWolf

Wasn't that assumption based on RDNA1?
What assumpion? That you need a top tier cooling to sustain high frequencies?? I think it's a physic\logic rule not dictated by what rdna the console is.

I mean i get the theory that gpu and cpu slightly undrclock themself when there is too much load leaving the thermal aspect completely out of the equation...but you still need a very very good cooling solution to totally eliminate the thermal aspect and having that ridicolous high clock 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Yoboman

What assumpion? That you need a top tier cooling to sustain high frequencies?? I think it's a physic\logic rule not dictated by what rdna the console is.

I mean i get the theory that gpu and cpu slightly undrclock themself when there is too much load leaving the thermal aspect completely out of the equation...but you still need a very very good cooling solution to totally eliminate the thermal aspect and having that ridicolous high clock 99% of the time.
Why are AMD running their new cards at even higher frequencies than PS5 then?

GymWolf

Why are AMD running their new cards at even higher frequencies than PS5 then?
Not familiar with amd frequencies, i jist readed hundreds if not thousands of people in here, reeee, reddit etc. Worried about the cooling solution inside ps5 correlated to the high clock, was it all concern from trolls? I don't know...

But a pc can have a far better cooling solution than a console, between even more space inside, more fans, pricey liquid cooling solutions etc, i mean it's not a surprise that a pc can push their hardware far more than a closed console.

Last edited:

gspat

My impressions

1. God, that thing is absolutely enormous. I expected big but this is next level.

2. Build quality looks pretty terrible, the tolerances around the port are massive and not neatly aligned.

3. How do you end up with a design so asymmetrical that you need a mandatory stand for horizontal mode?

4. Why is that motherboard so sparse? It could be half smaller, no?

5. Wait, if the motherbaord with all the components is that small, how is the console so huge?

6. Oh, the space is for that weirdly shaped heatsink. Holy shit, that’s the biggest heat sink I have ever seen.

7. Wait, that still doesn’t explain the enormous size. And why is it so asymmetrical too?

Most baffling design I have ever seen for sure. Happy I have the digital version, and a unit to hide it in.
That was exactly my thoughts with the new cards from nvidia.

Handy Fake

Not familiar with amd frequencies, i jist readed hundreds if not thousands of people in here, reeee, reddit etc. Worried about the cooling solution inside ps5 correlated to the high clock, was it all concern from trolls? I don't know...

But a pc can have a far better cooling solution than a console, between even more space inside, more fans, pricey liquid cooling solutions etc, i mean it's not a surprise that a pc can push their hardware far more than a closed console.
RDNA2 is designed to run at higher clock speeds so doesn't have the heat issues associated with overclocking.

As in, it's not overclocked; that's how fast it's designed to run at. The AMD RDNA2 cards are meant to be running at even faster frequencies natively.

geordiemp

PC RDNA2 leaked 40 CU at 2.5 GHz

PC RDNA2 leaked 80 CU at 2.2 GHz

Ps5 RDNA2 36 CU at 2.23 Ghz, capped could of gone higher

XSX 52 CU at 1.825 Ghz

AMD said RDNA2 is 50 % better perf per watt, add 50 % onto an RDNA1 1.8 Ghz what does that give ?

What does this tell you ?

Last edited:

Yoboman

Actually they were leaks

But it seems to match up with PS5 being high frequency. I think the concern trolling has lessened since then. Doesn't seem like Sony are overclocking, they may even be conservative based on the speeds AMD might be pushing

GymWolf

RDNA2 is designed to run at higher clock speeds so doesn't have the heat issues associated with overclocking.

As in, it's not overclocked; that's how fast it's designed to run at. The AMD RDNA2 cards are meant to be running at even faster frequencies natively.
Do we actually have any full fledged rdna2 gpu out on the market to know how good this new paradigm is??

Or it's just amd promises (not being snarky, just curious)

Edit: ok someone already responded to this one.

Last edited:

GymWolf

PC RDNA2 leaked 40 CU at 2.5 GHz

PC RDNA2 leaked 80 CU at 2.2 GHz

Ps5 RDNA2 36 CU at 2.23 Ghz, capped could of gone higher

XSX 52 CU at 1.825 Ghz

AMD said RDNA2 is 50 % better perf per watt, add 50 % onto an RDNA1 1.8 Ghz what does that give ?

What does this tell you ?
That i was not aware of the amd leaks?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Yoboman

By the way an APU containing also the CPU cores thus generating more heat must be more difficult to cool compared to a discrete GPU no? Hence PS5's extensive cooling solution.
Maybe?

Might explain why MS lowered clocks and bumped up the CUs, while Sony aimed for something more aligned with the frequencies AMD cards would be using and bumped up their cooling capability

geordiemp

That i was not aware of the amd leaks?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Thats fine, but even the 50 % perf / watt over RDNA1 which sits at 1.8Ghz in the AMD presentation ages back it was clear we would be at higher frequencies well above 2 Ghz.

I recall DF and other sites trying to muddy the waters by overclocking a RDNA1 5700 and saying it does not perform, but I dismissed it as DF speciality is graphics analysis and not hardware.

I like DF graphics analysis, I look elswhere for hardware analysis.

GymWolf

Thats fine, but even the 50 % perf / watt over RDNA1 which sits at 1.8Ghz in the AMD presentation ages back it was clear we would be at higher frequencies well above 2 Ghz.

I recall DF and other sites trying to muddy the waters by overclocking a RDNA1 5700 and saying it does not perform, but I dismissed it as DF speciality is graphics analysis and not hardware.

I like DF graphics analysis, I look elswhere for hardware analysis.
Yeah i vaguely remember the stuff with df and their experiements with high clocks to prove some points and some people in here saying that only having high clocks is stupid or something similar.

John Wick

Good design, cost efficient and wide heat sink is smart for the shape, and liquid metal looks cool.

Also dust collectors is a nice touch, very thoughtful.

Thought design for the fan is genius, it will be much more performant and make it nice and cool and quiet, much higher volume of air pushed vs speed. Far superior to standard fans.

The embedded bay for external SSD is correct way to do this, SSD is not a USB stick people.
Fan is so deep so it can pull air from both sides. PS5 will be a quiet and cool console

John Wick

Yes because random posters on reddit and the like are far more knowledgeable than AMD and Sony engineers?
If AMD RDNA 2 cards can run at 2.5ghz then PS5 will have no problem running 2.23ghz.

kuncol02

Banned
What does he mean with "the tolerances around the port are massive and not neatly aligned"??
That means that holes are too big and could be smaller with better build quality.
For example if you have panel you are able to mount with 1mm precision then you need to make all holes in it 2mm bigger in both dimension so it would not overlap with sockets.
More precision -> Smaller tolerances -> Smaller gaps -> More premium look
Less precision -> Bigger tolerances -> Bigger gaps -> Less premium look

GymWolf

Yes because random posters on reddit and the like are far more knowledgeable than AMD and Sony engineers?
If AMD RDNA 2 cards can run at 2.5ghz then PS5 will have no problem running 2.23ghz.
Dude, if i was sure that the reddit user was right, do you think that i would ask for clarifications in here??

Also some people don't 100% trust corporate talks and they have any right to do that.

The boss of nvidia slightly inflated the jump of series 3000 and people on forum and reddit was right when they doubted about that...and it's not nearly the first time that these people say some bullshit to sell more stuff.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

3.1 million views in half a day for a teardown?

Too strong and some people haven't realized this yet.

I know it's Serrano but this is quite interesting if true. Both stand to be very quiet consoles

Never heard of the guy but so far nobody has seen any next gen games running on XSX, right? I'm not trolling.

I'm imagine things might change with more demanding games for both consoles.

Last edited:

Halo0629

Wow that thing is huge! Now I wonder where I'm going to place that damn thing on my living room if ever I bought one?

cormack12

Gold Member
Never heard of the guy but so far nobody has seen any next gen games running on XSX, right? I'm not trolling.

I'm imagine things might change with more demanding games for both consoles.

Yeah start of the gen means nothing - just nice to hear that consoles are quiet. Neither console has any games that will be touchng the sides to start with, as you'd expect. Going to need to wait until mid gen and beyond before devs get familiar enough to really stretch their legs and start stressing the hardware. If they're doing day one, then god help this generation.

mitchman

Gold Member
By the way an APU containing also the CPU cores thus generating more heat must be more difficult to cool compared to a discrete GPU no? Hence PS5's extensive cooling solution.
The CPU part is likely to run at 15W (same as the Ryzen 4000 U-series laptop CPUs) or 25-35W (same as the HS-series laptop CPUs). That's not a whole lot of heat to dissipated compared to the GPU part of the APU.

cormack12

Gold Member
That's pretty much comparable between the two.

Damn the PS4 Pro is LOUD.

Edit: Serrano? No, fuck that bullshit.

Yeah to be fair from what I can see he's amalgamated thse into one tweet from other sources so pinch of salt required.

PS4 was always loud, dunno why so many people tried to make out it wasn't. It's exhaust was like a projector and the noise was like a dust devil or summat. Anyway I'm just glad they seem to have sorted it. Still not happy about the design ut at least you can pretend it's art deco if it's not noisy.

I can't quite see if I'm going to need a cable - is the power cord a non traditional flex 8, is it like customised with those cutouts. Just means I'll have to run a longer cable potentially. Maybe split and rejoin.

Lysandros

The CPU part is likely to run at 15W (same as the Ryzen 4000 U-series laptop CPUs) or 25-35W (same as the HS-series laptop CPUs). That's not a whole lot of heat to dissipated compared to the GPU part of the APU.
Yet, more heat is more heat even if it's around 10% more.

Top Bottom