• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Teardown: An inside look at our most transformative console yet

Emedan

Only one who should read anything about that is you.

There is your not existing corrosion:

It also reacts with copper, but resulting alloy is not as brittle.

And there is your not existing degradation:

There's more factors to corrosion than the metal itself. You don't know how the die is treated or what the enviornment in the cooling chamber looks like. The surface metals may very well have extremly low reactiveness with the liquid metal. If you for 1 second would believe the engineers at Sony would put out a product that will become useless after 2 months I don't know what to tell you. Your linked videos doesn't say anything either, amateurs who doesn't know what they're doing.

kuncol02

Banned
There's more factors to corrosion than the metal itself. You don't know how the die is treated or what the enviornment in the cooling chamber looks like. The surface metals may very well have extremly low reactiveness with the liquid metal. If you for 1 second would believe the engineers at Sony would put out a product that will become useless after 2 months I don't know what to tell you. Your linked videos doesn't say anything either, amateurs who doesn't know what they're doing.
I also wouldn't believe that Sony would release dual shocks with sticks wearing off in weeks. Same with MS releasing console with 30% failure rate. Yet here we are.
2 months absolutely not. Not even year or two. But what will happen in 4 years or more? For all we know about that technology for now gallium based alloys as TIM are ticking bomb. It's question of not if but when.

Emedan

I also wouldn't believe that Sony would release dual shocks with sticks wearing off in weeks. Same with MS releasing console with 30% failure rate. Yet here we are.
2 months absolutely not. Not even year or two. But what will happen in 4 years or more? For all we know about that technology for now gallium based alloys as TIM are ticking bomb. It's question of not if but when.
They claimed to have tested it for at least 2 years. If there's no sign of corrosion or reduced effectiveness after 2 years I think you can feel pretty safe, the method used does not seem very conducive to corrosion. The first video you linked also had a very crucial point in it with the knife activating the surface, either way it doesn't say very much about the enviornment around the die in the PS5.

cormack12

Gold Member
So all in all are we saying that the cooling solution is evolution rather than revolution? It seems bog standard really to me? Broadly speaking heatsink and fan. I was kinda expecting something ingenious the way Cerny spoke. As long as it works but ultimately this is clever architecture of quite standard systems right, rather than some crazy new cooling system?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
So all in all are we saying that the cooling solution is evolution rather than revolution? It seems bog standard really to me? Broadly speaking heatsink and fan. I was kinda expecting something ingenious the way Cerny spoke. As long as it works but ultimately this is clever architecture of quite standard systems right, rather than some crazy new cooling system?

It's essentially a GPU cooler but at double the size, nothing fancy.

Breakage

The double intake fan setup has me wondering if the clearance provided by that little black stand will be enough to maintain the airflow when the PS5 is horizontal. It's obvious the PS5 will be able breath far better when it is upright.
It will be interesting to see if people who have their PS5s positioned horizontally encounter overheating problems.

Pedro Motta

The double intake fan setup has me wondering if the clearance provided by that little black stand will be enough to maintain the airflow when the PS5 is horizontal. It's obvious the PS5 will be able breath far better when it is upright.
It will be interesting to see if people who have their PS5s positioned horizontally encounter overheating problems.
Air intake is from the sides even though the fan has a double intake. The white covers make this possible.

I have no skin in the game, as I'll buy and play both like always, but the XSX is much more attractive IMO. Personally, I've always thought Sony made ugly consoles. They all look iconic, for sure, but aesthetically atrocious. Even when the original PlayStation was unveiled it looked much less sophisticated in design than the sleek Ultra 64 or the Sega Saturn. In fact, I remember my friends and I thinking the name sounded like a Fisher Price toy.

They still use that namesake and they still make designs that are sure to be dated, but they always create a good system for gamer's regardless.

John Wick

Dude, if i was sure that the reddit user was right, do you think that i would ask for clarifications in here??

Also some people don't 100% trust corporate talks and they have any right to do that.

The boss of nvidia slightly inflated the jump of series 3000 and people on forum and reddit was right when they doubted about that...and it's not nearly the first time that these people say some bullshit to sell more stuff.
But surely you must agree that AMD and Sony will have done their due diligence before making such lofty claims?
They would have tested the frequencey peak during the bring up!

GymWolf

But surely you must agree that AMD and Sony will have done their due diligence before making such lofty claims?
They would have tested the frequencey peak during the bring up!
Yes i'm sure they tested the hell out of it, i was just asking because so many people were preoccupied about what type of cooling was needed to sustain such high clock, and not only fake concern from xboys, even a lot of sony guys in here were perplexed.

just to add an anecdote, x360 was probably tested too and we know how that console ended...

reptilex

Banned
So I understand why the PS5 is so unacceptably fat.

Well there's so much room for improvement and optimisation, the PS5 Slim could be half as big if they make a more efficient die ie. less heat, smaller board, smaller/no heatsink, smaller PSU.

Wtf is screwgate?
People concern trolling and acting as if it's completely reasonable to have to screw or unscrew a stand or access panel for the SSD bay.

Like there are literally people on some sites who've acted as if this is some massive design flaw, even seen a few "pre-order canceled" tweets over it.

FrankWza

Maybe?

Might explain why MS lowered clocks and bumped up the CUs, while Sony aimed for something more aligned with the frequencies AMD cards would be using and bumped up their cooling capability

this is the type of stuff that makes those “devs love ps5” comments make sense. It’s over my head, but these games are getting more and more expensive to make. We see articles almost every week about demanding work schedules and crazy hours and pressure. It’s already a thin margin business. I can understand devs being grateful to be able to make any part of the cycle easier.

FrankWza

I would agree and say that the combination of all they included is revolutionary for a closed system. Each taken individually is not except the liquid metal since it’s never been mass installed like it will in the 60-100 million ps5s Sony should sell. But the liquid metal, large heat sink, dust collector large fan, and extra space together in a console is a first.

Patrick S.

Banned
ahhuhtu09.jpg

John Wick

Yes i'm sure they tested the hell out of it, i was just asking because so many people were preoccupied about what type of cooling was needed to sustain such high clock, and not only fake concern from xboys, even a lot of sony guys in here were perplexed.

just to add an anecdote, x360 was probably tested too and we know how that console ended...
MS weren't a hardware manufacturer back then and had little experience with making console devices. They rushed out the X360 to beat Sony out the gate.
I think Sony from experience and from the bring up testing (github) will have it right

LordOfChaos

ejetgq7etur51.jpg

Lots of concern about the LM on twitter. This isn't going anywhere, compare the double seal and and think about the mounting pressures of modern parts to their patent. So long as LM doesn't interact with oxygen it will not oxidate either. GamersNexus did a 1 year check and found zero degradation, and Sony has been testing this extensively for more than two years, which likely means 24/7 heat cycles and movement.

Loxus

ejetgq7etur51.jpg

Lots of concern about the LM on twitter. This isn't going anywhere, compare the double seal and and think about the mounting pressures of modern parts to their patent. So long as LM doesn't interact with oxygen it will not oxidate either. GamersNexus did a 1 year check and found zero degradation, and Sony has been testing this extensively for more than two years, which likely means 24/7 heat cycles and movement.
Nice catch with the seal.
I think only professionals should be doing teardowns, as they might not be able to get the LM contain properly when putting it back together.

kuncol02

Banned
ejetgq7etur51.jpg

Problems with liquid metal is not from oxidation or evaporation but from it's ability to form alloys with other metals in room temperature. There are ways to stop that (nickel plating is quite effective). It's still relativelly new technology, AFAIK never tested in mass produced devices. Gaming laptops don't count, they are not only not mass produced (not in PS5 scale anyway), but also have shorter expected lifespan. We will see how long it last in few years.

FrankWza

it's just larger than what I am used to. but then again the entire volume W*H*D of the new xbox is rather large as well. It will just take some getting used to I suppose :(

god damn, moores law really is dead it would appear :eek:

This is what I’ve been saying. I asked,a few times, how easy it was going to be to fit in a tv stand or cabinet. It’s not a Wii. I like the all black though

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I understand why the PS5 is so unacceptably fat.

Well there's so much room for improvement and optimisation, the PS5 Slim could be half as big if they make a more efficient die ie. less heat, smaller board, smaller/no heatsink, smaller PSU.

2.3 ghz gpu will always be hot, thus requiring a big heatsink.

As for the liquid metal corrosion, there are certain metals that resist it quite effectively. A copper alloy with those metal as contact surface for the liquid metal makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom