• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 stock influx boosts Spider-Man: Miles Morales sales in UK, Mass Effect: LE 68% of boxed sales on PS4

Markio128

I just want to know, finally, total number sold (physical + digital) of Demon’s Souls and (maybe too early) Returnal. Are they really bust, the way it looks like from the outside or not. Morales seems like game of choice for new PS5 owners and that’s least surprising thing here.

And Warnen Warnen , that’s quite possibly best GIF I’ve ever seen. 😂
Why are you so keen on knowing the sales of Demon’s Souls and Returnal? As a gamer, all you need to know is that they stand at 92% and 86% respectively on Metacritic. Therefore, they are both great games.

That price for Returnal was a mistake

Was it? PS Store charts for April with just 1 day of tracking says otherwise.

These charts would be so much more useful if they had actual numbers like the Japanese ones. Also where's the Demon's Souls and Returnal stock bump?

How has Demons souls and Returnal performed? I feel like i've never seen them in the charts after the first week. Such a frigging shame.

Demon's Souls after 7 months is still there. Returnal did good after 1 day

Duchess

Planning on getting Miles Morales myself, once I get through my backlog.

Currently got Talos Principle to finish, then Mortal Shell, then DOOM Eternal, then finally Spider-Man..!

Playstation store also has no real numbers sadly. The only real numbers we can infer are from physical sales in Japan. Returnal was #1 in the PS Store Japan charts in April, but it only took something like 2000 sold digital copies to achieve that #1 placement. Imagine selling 2000 copies and being #1 for the entire month. Just further confirms that software sales are very weak (at least in Japan).

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yeah, for both of those games the PSN charts will be helpful. Seeing Demon's Souls still there is telling, despite it not being on the other overall charts.

Dabaus

Banned
Mass effect 70 percent split on playstation is interesting. This isnt some Japanese RPG Franchise that has long ties to the PS1-PS2 days, this is a western RPG heavily associated with he glory days of xbox. It took like 4 years after the ME1 released on 360 to even make it to ps3 back in the day.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
ME being more on PlayStation is interesting....

I hope this convinces Sony and others to leave last gen behind. Games will have legs. Miles could've been a next gen showpiece like ratchet.
If anything it could mean the cross gen period will be a normal one.

If ppl are buying the next gen versions when given a choice despite the stock issues....

For Sony at least. As time goes on the goals of Sony and MS are starting to make more sense.

PS5 versions are selling a lot.
MS still embraces last gen alot, have Smart Delivery.

Playstation store also has no real numbers sadly. The only real numbers we can infer are from physical sales in Japan. Returnal was #1 in the PS Store Japan charts in April, but it only took something like 2000 sold digital copies to achieve that #1 placement. Imagine selling 2000 copies and being #1 for the entire month. Just further confirms that software sales are very weak (at least in Japan).
Yeah, but just at retail in UK Returnal sold almost 5x more than digital in Japan. And also around 6.5k at retail in Japan in a launch week. And also a still limited PS5 install base.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
How many legs does a spider have?

spider GIF

Bo_Hazem

Banned
more like vindication if I had to put a word to it. Always said a $70 roguelike was not going to be a mainstream game.

Who said it'll be a mainstream game though? It's mainly a niche game for hardcore players. You can see some noobs tried it out and crushed by reality:

It wasn't very hard to me, more like moderate and decently challenging. If this game sells around 1-2M that'll be a massive success. We are grateful that Sony is supporting all genres and risky projects:

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Who said it'll be a mainstream game though? It's mainly a niche game for hardcore players. You can see some noobs tried it out and crushed by reality:

It wasn't very hard to me, more like moderate and decent challenging. If this game sells around 1-2M that'll be a massive success. We are grateful that Sony is supporting all genres and risky projects:

This sales are brilliant and all but I'm just glad the game exists just like bloodborne
The last guardian and whatever niche sony will do next

SilentUser

That's a very impressive rise for Spider-Man: Miles Morales, nice to see. Seems to be the first big PS5 hit despite being available on PS4. I guess people want to try it on the new platform with all the upgrades.

I would class it as a sales bomb if it was also playable on PS4 for sure, but on PS5 I expect the sales to pick up as console sales grow. It was never going to compete with established franchises.
But wouldn't sales have grown like Miles did because of available PS5s if that were the case?

yazenov

Playstation userbase paying for games and carrying the whole gaming industry, while MS ruins the industry with a rental service.

Seriously though, 32% ratio of sales for a game associated with the Xbox is abysmal . Game Pass doing its work.

BTW if I'm not mistaken, ME did about 25K boxed sales if half of RE8 first week sales.

Last edited:

Markio128

But wouldn't sales have grown like Miles did because of available PS5s if that were the case?
Sales may have grown, but not to the same extent as Miles. It’s like with any console. If you bought a Switch for the 1st time, you’d buy Mario, Zelda or Pokemon for instance and not an unknown new IP With your new console.

Markio128

no concern at all, seems many don’t care so why would I? I have a lot of interest in the PS5 however eagerly awaiting the big games late this year and into next few like god of war and spider man 2
When I mentioned pissing in the wind earlier, that also describes my current struggles in purchasing a Series X haha - looks like I’ll be waiting a while at this point. Nothing wrong in wanting best of both worlds.

Klart

Seems that way. I truly don’t think the majority of XBOX gamers actually buy games. Most recent example was RE8 and now the game that originated on the XBOX most likely sells considerably better on the PS4? I know Gamepass has been in existence for awhile, but I’m really wondering what’s going on. 🤔
Not only did PS4 outsell Xbox, PS5 even outsold PS4. Xbox came after both.

It wasn't very hard to me, more like moderate and decently challenging. If this game sells around 1-2M that'll be a massive success. We are grateful that Sony is supporting all genres and risky projects:

"noobs"

the dude is blind :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr Moose

It seems ShopTo is getting some PS5 stock, I am trying to visit their website for games but I get put in a queue.

SLB1904

Banned
You would have a point if psn wasnt the biggest gaming online store. And games charting in it are full flat 70. Beating fifa etc in a full flat month on a console with at best 7million active users.

You would have a point if psn wasnt the biggest gaming online store. And games charting in it are full flat 70. Beating fifa etc in a full flat month on a console with at best 7million active users.
2000 sales to be #1 in a monthly chart isn't good, no matter how you spin it. I assume the worldwide numbers are much better though.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I just want to know, finally, total number sold (physical + digital) of Demon’s Souls and (maybe too early) Returnal. Are they really bust, the way it looks like from the outside or not. Morales seems like game of choice for new PS5 owners and that’s least surprising thing here.

And Warnen Warnen , that’s quite possibly best GIF I’ve ever seen. 😂
Difficult games combined with a low install base. They'll get more sales as PS5 stock increases more

more like vindication if I had to put a word to it. Always said a $70 roguelike was not going to be a mainstream game.

did anyone expect it to be anything more...?

housemarque is a small studio. I don’t think anyone was expecting this game to sell like a big budget title.

it can still find success, and arguably will probably have more revenue thanks to the $70 price tag, which is well worth it if you are into these kinds of games

LMJ

Returnal had a short shelf life huh?

Didnt know we had so many Sony shareholders in this forum

You diehard fans make me laugh lol

Why is it that positive economic news regarding a company (in this case Sony and Playstation) brings out the ire?

You see the same with Sony, Nintendo and MS diehards in a positive Nintendo or MS thread, here's a clue folks, better game sales helps everyone. As long as your System isn't twisting in the wind (ala WiiU or Vita) then EVERYONE benefits ;)

Repeat with me, good game sales helps...

everyone GIF

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
You diehard fans make me laugh lol

Why is it that positive economic news regarding a company (in this case Sony and Playstation) brings out the ire?

You see the same with Sony, Nintendo and MS diehards in a positive Nintendo or MS thread, here's a clue folks, better game sales helps everyone. As long as your System isn't twisting in the wind (ala WiiU or Vita) then EVERYONE benefits ;)

Repeat with me, good game sales helps...

everyone GIF

think you misquoted or something, don't see how my post fits with your response. Wouldn't say its positive news when a new game falls off the charts in 2 weeks time.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
think you misquoted or something, don't see how my post fits with your response. Wouldn't say its positive news when a new game falls off the charts in 2 weeks time.
Some guys are ready to call a game a bomb after looking at a chart for merely 2 weeks.

MLB The Show is a success even though it only sales good in one region alone. Have to look at the overall performance and try not to compare it with other triple A titles since Returnal's budget and sales target is much lower.

Re: MM vs Returnal/DeS, price is also an important point to have in mind. The PS5 console itself is already a pretty expensive investment for the average consumer, so when they're thinking: "what game should I get?" and see a £45 Spiderman game VS a £70 Souls game (also well known for being "hard") or Returnal... well, I don't blame them for going with MM.

Last edited:

yurinka

Returnal had a short shelf life huh?
We have no idea but probably yes because it's a niche game and there are only a few million PS5 sold worldwide, so it wouldn't make sense to expect it to sell a lot of units. We don't have sales numbers and retail UK sales are only a tiny part of worldwide sales, so who knows. But they should be relatively low compared to a big Sony AAA game, while very likely higher than the average Housemarque game sales.

32% for a franchise that originated on Xbox seems weak.
Well, 32% sounds similar to the XBO vs PS4 console -at least worldwide- market share, so it's ok I think considering that on Xbox there is Gamepass and on PS there are more recent big exclusives.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Mass effect 70 percent split on playstation is interesting. This isnt some Japanese RPG Franchise that has long ties to the PS1-PS2 days, this is a western RPG heavily associated with he glory days of xbox. It took like 4 years after the ME1 released on 360 to even make it to ps3 back in the day.

Xbox gamers are waiting for it to release on gamepass. It's the new trend I'm seeing for the latest multiplat game releases. The split between PS4/Xo was never this big last-gen for western games.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Why I am waiting for a deep discount or PS Plus.

Not that you really care about Returnal. You just like to shit on Sony at every chance you get.

everything but god of war, ghost of Tsushima, spider man, Horzion, uncharted, and about 80% of there output but yeah I get ya. Either all in or against, no grey area for the S-squad.

reinking

Gold Member
everything but god of war, ghost of Tsushima, spider man, Horzion, uncharted, and about 80% of there output but yeah I get ya. Either all in or against, no grey area for the S-squad.
You should open up your post history and let it speak for itself.

Top Bottom