• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

Is it really though? Spider-Man 2 for sure, but most of their big 1st party games announced during the last 2 years have been released after GoW Ragnarök.
Well, doesn't mean like they aren't working on other things, if anything it suggest that they have plenty to announce (but we already know that based on their financial presentations).

When talking about 2023 I'm including third-party games as well because those increase console sales too but even their own lineup ox exclusives still looks pretty strong (Forspoken, Spider-man 2, FFXVI) and that's before their 2022 showcase.

GreatnessRD

Wouldn't their fanboys have a PS5 already at this point? Ain't nobody making purchase decisions of a 10% difference in price, ain't nobody legitimately outraged over this.

I'm way more bothered buy how much PS+ Premium sucks than I'm over PS5 getting a slightly more expensive. Going for Deluxe/Premium over Extra really feels like getting suckered into a bad deal.
That's the sad part and a major reason why gaming is the way it is today. People should be losing their shit over this. Sony is making money hand over fist and only doing this because they can. The US survived this goofiness thanks to Microsoft's presence in the states. And yeah, that Playstation Plus Deluxe/extra is for sure a "get fucked" deal, lol.

Both products are consoles dedicated to playing games, so they compete against each other, given that they are in the same market.

But yeah, agree completely with your second point. And with the PS5 still early on its life, and the Switch on its way out, it's only a matter of time until the PS5 starts outselling it.
You can't sell more than you produce and getting beat by a Nintendo portable is business as usual for Sony, they literally gave up competing with Nintendo in that space.

But why
OH02d3x.gif

Because everyone's wages went up ofc :p

Disappointing. After two years costs for materials should have come down by now and they should have just kept it the same. Shipping and manufacturing costs must have gone up quite a but if they are going to add this petty $20 Canadian (for me) increase to create a story. Microsoft loves throwing away money so I don't see them doing the same.

ManaByte

All imported goods will become 10-20% more expensive in the upcoming months in Europe. It's just a matter of time before MS will raise prices too. The euro lost 20% of its value compared to the dollar and then there's inflation, rising transport costs and rising energy prices. It costs more to manufacture *anything* and MS will certainly not want to sell Xbox consoles at the original price in euros and earn 20% less in dollars because the euro tanked.

Unless MS has a way to manufacture consoles in Europe like they do in NA (I don't know if they do).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm usually behind Sony, but this is disgusting. People are struggling with keeping their job at the moment, and people are going to struggle with bills this winter due to all the gas and electricity companies spiking their prices, so people can't afford to spend another £30 on an already expensive console.

There is no need to charge more when your demand is so high.
In all fairness those people you describe should not be shopping for a console no matter the price.

It sucks and all but people are still going to buy these as soon as they hit the shelves in most markets

Majukun

lol, first time i ever saw electronic device prices rise instead of fall with time...first oculuis quest,now ps5

well now i know i definitely will not buy a ps5 for a long time

ManaByte

lol, first time i ever saw electronic device prices rise instead of fall with time...first oculuis quest,now ps5

well now i know i definitely will not buy a ps5 for a long time

I think the Quest went up because Facebook was always selling the thing at a MASSIVE loss and Cambria isn't ready yet due to COVID. Had COVID not happened, Cambria would've launched at what the Quest 2 is selling at now and the Quest 2 price wouldn't have gone up. You'd have the Quest 2 and then the Quest Pro.

They are actually pretty strong here in the UK but I'm just concerned about the massive increase in cost of living yet Sony are increasing their prices for a luxury item that was expensive enough already and is 2 years old technology.

Sony have treated PS gamers far worse this generation than their main competitors and continue to offer less value. Parents want to buy their children what they want for the holidays and no doubt PS5 will be high up the list, I don't understand how this is defendable at all.

Graphics cards prices are dropping so your argument makes no sense. Since 2022 prices for graphics cards in the UK have dropped by 56%.
So you also dismiss all the others factors i mentioned??

Last edited:

Moses85

So no US price increase. Wow. And here I thought the US had inflation too. I guess Xbox doing well in the US means the price has to stay the same, but in markets where PS5 clearly wins, they can jack it up without consequences.
US has inflation since 1960.. average 3,8%

OuterLimits

I'm more worried about energy, fuel and food costs increasing even further. In the grand scheme of thing, a one time purchase product getting a 10% increase is the least of our problems. Europe is fucked.

everybody is praying for a mild Winter. The way the last couple years have gone though, the fucking polar vortex will probably park itself in Europe and the U.S will get a record number of severe NorEasters.

Last edited:

tommib

It will be indeed hilarious if the S sees a price drop. Microsoft should definitely use this as a marketing platform for the next months. They not only have the cheaper next-gen consoles they also come with 3 months of gamepass for 1USD.

jorgejjvr

Increase in price of games, increase in price of consoles, while nickeling and diming on things like $10 upgrade fees.

All while selling MORE digital games than ever, and hence making more profits, adding more ps plus tiers that surely brought some good cash, while also having a brand new pc revenue stream, with mobile coming soon

The greed is insane

Riky

$MSFT
I am not saying it is news, it is a legal (still) business tactic. It is what it is: you are outspending your competition to ensure you conquer the pie in the end as you decided the total pie is worth investing in (which means you will want to recoup the investment once you have won that market over and you control it ;)).

The more money you invest from other divisions in terms of absolute subsidies vs your competition can cause competitors that were competitive not to en able to be anymore due to not a lot of fault of their own, this is not to excuse Sony here but you do concede as a point that subsidies can do this or see we still pretending they do not?

It is not just that but recession, inflation, profit margins increase to protect long term sustainability and keep investors happy, etc… are real things… oh no, simpler to just keep an “Evil Greedy Sony” angle. Again, if you think that plopping $100 Billion range money out of thin air from other divisions does not change things you are will fully deciding to ignore things, oh well…

I didn't say anything about being "Evil".

You keep justifying this rise as some sort of reaction to what MS are doing, with no figures to back it up.

The truth is inflation is eating profit margins and Sony has decided to pass that on to consumers, probably because they are selling every console they can make and will continue to do so, it's not going to slow sales. Bringing MS and their purchases into it is pure deflection.

Thats what people said before petrol went from £1 to £1.98 and the companies found out they can get away with it and refuse to budge, same with energy companies etc.
Thankfully the PS5 ain't petrol, just a luxury video game console that mostly has crossgen games in the first place anyway. You'll even be able to play God of War Ragnarok on your PS4.

It's hilarious how every Sony move is always some sort of apocalyptic event but it gets forgotten in a matter of days because people get tired of faking outrage.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
Great sony, raising cost on the most uneducated and ignorant entertainment community is going to go down well…….
Should have just ate the lose imo.

What an absolute shit move. I genuinely hope this slaps them in the face hard enough they have to pull it back. Are they actively trying to get the worst PR this gen?

What an absolute shit move. I genuinely hope this slaps them in the face hard enough they have to pull it back. Are they actively trying to get the worst PR this gen?
At this point it should be clear that Jim Ryan doesn't care about PR that much. Jimbo got himself canceled and is still hanging around.

Now make a table for console sales, games sales, number of subscriptions, etc. You charge what you can get away with like in any other business.

Last edited:
Our car insurance is going up by almost 50 percent for no reason other than they can. Been shopping around to other agents but it looks like everyone is going up a lot.
Have to cit back on even more stuff and games will be the first thing on the chopping block.

leo-j

Tbh scalpers have been selling ps5 for $700 + and these retailers am have been selling bundles with similar entry prices. Demand for ps5 is high enough to warrant a price increase. Switch as an example is running on 2017 tech and is still $299. No increase but with everything else increasing and people buying this makes sense.

Nautilus

Banned
Increase in price of games, increase in price of consoles, while nickeling and diming on things like $10 upgrade fees.

All while selling MORE digital games than ever, and hence making more profits, adding more ps plus tiers that surely brought some good cash, while also having a brand new pc revenue stream, with mobile coming soon

The greed is insane
I mean, not to sound like I like paying more, but that's just a business being a business.

If they can get away with it, with little pushback(especially in their finance), they will do it.

Top Bottom