• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/PS5 Dreams creator with no prior experience gets hired as level designer job at Moon Studios (Ori games)

Miles708

A 20-year old creator with no prior experience used Dreams to create his own version of a 3D Super Mario game.
After 2 years of work and a super-polished game published on Dreams, he landed a job at Moon Studios

The article from videogameschronicle.com
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/a-dreams-creator-has-secured-a-level-designer-job-at-ori-maker-moon-studios/

In case you're interested, the Dreams game is called Trip's Voyage:

It's crazy how such a user-friendly tool on a console can help you create proper games.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
While cool, there's a big difference in making this in a game designed to be content creating and then in other programs.

Ive made countless of maps in VHE, but always found qradiant to be impossible to learn and unreal editor unnecessary complicated, probably because I started with VHE.

While it’s undoubtedly cool, I can’t help but wonder what the hell Sony is thinking. Being the first and creating the way for players/users of Dreams to build a career in game dev should have been a top priority in marketing Dreams. I guess this organic kind of exposure is also good for Dreams, but it’s very sad how they’ve essentially left Dreams to die a slow death. I hope it can be revived with PS5, PSVR2 and eventually (soon, please) a PC port.

Tripolygon

Banned
While cool, there's a big difference in making this in a game designed to be content creating and then in other programs.

Ive made countless of maps in VHE, but always found qradiant to be impossible to learn and unreal editor unnecessary complicated, probably because I started with VHE.
Dreams is closer to UE5 than you imagine. Dreams model editor is more advanced than UE5, Dreams has a built in DAW and Dreams also uses visual scripting like UE blueprint. If it is something you seriously want to do, you can use it as a portfolio to get hired by studios.

Sun Dried Seas the game the person made is a 2 - 3 hrs long made entirely from scratch by 3 people, every asset created by them according to the genealogy of the game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Congratulations to the kid, see this is what you need to do if you want a studio to HIRE THIS MAN

Something new and interesting, not “existing character running in a grass field”

Last edited:
A 20-year old creator with no prior experience used Dreams to create his own version of a 3D Super Mario game.
After 2 years of work and a super-polished game published on Dreams, he landed a job at Moon Studios

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/a-dreams-creator-has-secured-a-level-designer-job-at-ori-maker-moon-studios/

It's crazy how such a user-friendly tool on a console can help you create proper games.

What the heck

This looks incredible lol

CGNoire

Big time Dreams fanatic here. Hopefully oneday some of my game demos and model work will reach a polished enough state i will feel comfortabke sharing them. So many great projects by so many dreamers still in development unable to be seen by others outside of twitter since there still incomplete. I look at the 100+ models i have laying around im sure others would love to use in there dreams and yet there not there yet. One day....

Last edited:

Hoppa

I don’t like the way Dreams games look and play but I’ll always be impressed by things that people manage to make out of it! Congrats to him

kiphalfton

This looks really smooth. Not like a lot of the other stuff I've seen.

Before I saw thi, the "coolest" one I had seen was the Avatar: The Last Airbender in Dreams.

Any other really cool stuff?

Shifty1897

Congrats to the designer. Just watching the trailer for that level he made in dreams, that's really impressive stuff. Dude gets it, looking forward to seeing he can do at Moon Studios.

While it’s undoubtedly cool, I can’t help but wonder what the hell Sony is thinking. Being the first and creating the way for players/users of Dreams to build a career in game dev should have been a top priority in marketing Dreams. I guess this organic kind of exposure is also good for Dreams, but it’s very sad how they’ve essentially left Dreams to die a slow death. I hope it can be revived with PS5, PSVR2 and eventually (soon, please) a PC port.
Honestly, Dreams is pretty hard to promote to the masses.

While it looks casual, it's a proper game-engine and at the beginning every Dreamer had to figure out how to work with Dreams pretty much all by themselves. It's a proper study.

The organic growth that you're talking about is the only way to go.
Although some more exposure could certainly help.

People who've never used Dreams really underestimate how deep it is and that it can be used professionaly, even though Playstation is a closed platform.

But having worked on Noguchi's Bell Episode 2 as an animator, which raised $30,000+ on Kickstarter and was shown at the Tokyo Short Film Festival, I believe that there sure can be a future for Dreams. Or like this thread shows, it can lead to an actual career in gamedevelopment, for example.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
pretty-cool-cerny.gif

TLZ

Banned
A PC port is perfect for this game.

anthony2690

Banned
Trips Voyage is probably the first decent looking game, I have seen made on dreams.

I have seen cool landscapes/environments etc.

But this is the first game that actually looks fun to play with interesting level design etc.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Wait what the fuck? There’s free games like that within Dreams? That looks like one of the better 3D platformers of the last decade?

If I buy Dreams I can play that?

saintjules

I never got the hype around Dreams. I will say that this kid's story was exactly what I thought should happen to creators using Dreams.

I was also fully expecting people to never make a filly fleshed out game on there. Seems it's happening. Good for them.

Lasha

Fuck me I forgot about Dreams. Is there a PS5 version or performance boost now?

I wouldn't say the guy lacks experience. He spent two years tooling around in dreams which is a pretty robust platform. Trips Voyage looks more polished than many indie games. I reckon the studio got a solid asset.

I guess someone who can program stuff in C++ can do it in C#, Python, Ruby etc too, someone who does stuff with GIMP should be able to achieve something with Photoshop. He might stumble over increased complexitiy and decreased intuitiveness, but the hire was probably made because he showed passion and desire to create stuff, something that can't be learned or taught, no matter the tool. Worst case he will be fired soon, maybe worse he is burned out in a couple of months or ... he actually fits in the role, or aspires to something else in the industry and this is really just a stepping stone.

Certainly cool if it works out for everyone and if not, they at least tried.

jigglet

Banned
Good on him. I have a degree but I've always semi-regretted not just going out and doing some real shit like this kid.

Markio128

Really impressive. I’ve shared a few tunes on Dreams, but that’s about it. The community is great and helped with feedback.

Top Bottom