• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New formed studio 'Ballistic Moon' is creating a AAA game for PS5

taken from Resetera:

Found a newly created studio that is making a PS5 game published by SIE (XDev). The leadership appears to come mainly from Supermassive Games. The Creative Director for example was previously a Game Director at Supermassive.

Studio is called Ballistic Moon based in Farnborough UK, and they mention they are creating a game in Unreal Engine 5 working with a "world leading publisher":

Screenshot_2022-08-15_at_5.00.21_pm.png

Screenshot_2022-08-15_at_4.57.42_pm.png

In job listings its described as "early stages" with the team only being around 35-40 at the moment however its described as a "major new project" and they do mention above they are relocating to a bigger office soon.

Game has a placeholder name of "Project Bates" and very recently began motion caption (this could just be early staged mo-cap for proof-of-concept though). One of the actors accidentally included SIE as the company involved giving away who the major publisher is. I blanked out the characters name to make it a little harder to find:

Screenshot_2022-08-15_at_4.49.52_pm.png

The motion caption director (Joshua Archer) previously worked on Until Dawn:

Joshua Archer - IMDb

Joshua Archer, Visual Effects: Godzilla. Josh has been working in Motion and Performance Capture since 2013 and has since become one of the UK's leading Performance Capture Artists. Working on titles such as Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016), Horizon Zero Dawn (2017), Ready Player One (2018)...
www.imdb.com
www.imdb.com

Doesn't give much away what the game actually is, but I'm assuming it's a single-player narrative game similar to Until Dawn based on who is behind the game. That's a total guess though.

www.ballisticmoon.com

Ballistic Moon | Creators of adventures | An independent game studio

We are an independent game studio based in Farnborough, UK.
www.ballisticmoon.com
www.ballisticmoon.com

With the recent success of House of Ashes and The Quarry and Until Dawn's legacy plus the fact the both Supermassive and Quantic Dream are not working with Sony anymore, they really need someone else to fill the gap. I'm really interested to see what they do, and Sony has invested some good money with these type of games in the past so I'll look forward to this.

Last edited:
With the recent success of House of Ashes and The Quarry and Until Dawn's legacy plus the fact the both Supermassive and Quantic Dream are not working with Sony anymore, they really need someone else to fill the gap. I'm really interested to see what they do, and Sony has invested some good money with these type of games in the past so I'll look forward to this.

yeah, theres a big gap for narrative games on playstation with the loss of quantic dream and supermassive

taken from Resetera:

Found a newly created studio that is making a PS5 game published by SIE (XDev). The leadership appears to come mainly from Supermassive Games. The Creative Director for example was previously a Game Director at Supermassive.

Studio is called Ballistic Moon based in Farnborough UK, and they mention they are creating a game in Unreal Engine 5 working with a "world leading publisher":

Screenshot_2022-08-15_at_5.00.21_pm.png

Screenshot_2022-08-15_at_4.57.42_pm.png

In job listings its described as "early stages" with the team only being around 35-40 at the moment however its described as a "major new project" and they do mention above they are relocating to a bigger office soon.

Game has a placeholder name of "Project Bates" and very recently began motion caption (this could just be early staged mo-cap for proof-of-concept though). One of the actors accidentally included SIE as the company involved giving away who the major publisher is. I blanked out the characters name to make it a little harder to find:

Screenshot_2022-08-15_at_4.49.52_pm.png

The motion caption director (Joshua Archer) previously worked on Until Dawn:

Joshua Archer - IMDb

Joshua Archer, Visual Effects: Godzilla. Josh has been working in Motion and Performance Capture since 2013 and has since become one of the UK's leading Performance Capture Artists. Working on titles such as Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016), Horizon Zero Dawn (2017), Ready Player One (2018)...
www.imdb.com
www.imdb.com

Doesn't give much away what the game actually is, but I'm assuming it's a single-player narrative game similar to Until Dawn based on who is behind the game. That's a total guess though.

www.ballisticmoon.com

Ballistic Moon | Creators of adventures | An independent game studio

We are an independent game studio based in Farnborough, UK.
www.ballisticmoon.com
www.ballisticmoon.com

A team of 35 are not creating a AAA game so hopefully they expand quickly.

Until Dawn 2?

I like this strategy Sony seem to have adopted with Haven and Deviation, help with the creation of a new studio to steal some talent and leave the door open to a future acquisition if it works out.

Last edited:
Until Dawn 2?

I like this strategy Sony seem to have adopted with Haven and Deviation, help with the creation of a new studio to steal some talent and leave the door open to a future acquisition if it works out.

Yeah, i prefer the funding of new studios with new ideas rather than just buying established studios and IP. I’m more interested in this studio making the game over Supermassive where you know what to expect from them at this point.

Maybe a new studio can breathe some new ideas into the genre.

People dont understand how much heavy lifting Xdev does with a lot of the 3rd party exclusives. I think Sumo Digitals team on sackboy was relatively small also
Yup...and it's expanding like hell as well.

Sony have a well-oiled machine with their studios and collaborations right now for sure.

Top Bottom