• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 slimline questions, including fliptop/swapmagic stuffs

Matlock

Banned
1. Does the slimline PS2 work well when put vertically? Does it stand easily sans stand?
2. What options do I have for fliptop/swap magic? Do I even need a fliptop, as it's a toploader?
3. Is it quieter (fan-wise) than the big PS2?
4. Are there any things I should be aware of?

I'm looking into some import games (EDF2!) and perhaps making myself available for some non-retail (preview, gold) copies of games from publishers this holiday season, so I figured I'd ask th' questions before I commit to trading my PS2 for a used PS2 slimline at EB tomorrow. :)

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
PStwo is pretty thin and probably doesn't stand vertically too well without the stand, especially since it's a flip top which you'll frequently be pushing on.

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Er, also, I've had some third party controllers that work on PS2 not work on PStwo, including the Pelican arcade stick, the Soul Calibur PS2 stick, and the Joytech F1 racing wheel. PStwo just doesn't like 'em for some reason.

Tony HoTT

Banned
I have the slim PS2 and I had to order the swap magic discs and a new fliptop cover thingy for 30 bucks all together. You have to void the warranty but mine was already expired.

RuGalz

The earlier model of PSTwo has not so good design on the board that makes the DVD drive burn out easier. It has been fixed in the latest model. So I'd make sure to get the latest model... The model number is SCPH-70001 for North America. Some said they have other model number but it's the latest revision board. One way to be sure is these latest model have phone line plug removed for networking.

Benefits of these slim PSTwo are that they are definately quieter and they also boot faster/load better in my experience.

Ristamar

MarkRyan said:
Er, also, I've had some third party controllers that work on PS2 not work on PStwo, including the Pelican arcade stick, the Soul Calibur PS2 stick, and the Joytech F1 racing wheel. PStwo just doesn't like 'em for some reason.

To add to that list, the wireless receiever for the Logitech Action Cordless won't sit flush with the bottom of console if you have it placed horizontally. You have to have it hanging off the edge of a shelf/stand, or it'll be resting on the receiver.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Good questions Matlock(specially the "Can you stand it up" one). :)

One question that might be silly but can the PSTwo be chipped/modded?

Also any problems with cheating devices(gameshark/Xploder/etc)?

StRaNgE

Banned
Matlock said:

Hi guys, how hard is it to install ps2 slimline fliptop?

I love What you have done with your hair! :)

i would like these questions known as well cuz i been considering a purchase myself.

besides SIZE what advantage , if any does the slim PS2 have over the norm?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It works better vertically. I had the thing overheat on me when playing horizontally one time. I was playing OZ and left it paused for 30 minutes to go do something else. When I came back, the videos were skipping, loading was taking forever, and the music wouldn't play. Zero problems in vertical mode, though.

Don't get the new Slim PSTwo's. My friend got 1 and the PowEr suPly caught on fire and like, burnt up his entertainment center tat he payed $5000 4. He caled SontY N tehy told him that he should have bauhgt RE4 for the GameCube because teh PS2 version is full of jaggies.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Matlock said:

Hi guys, how hard is it to install ps2 slimline fliptop?

You unscrew like six screws on the bottom. Then you pull the top part off. Then you yank on the drive door until it pops out and put on the new door. The new door is heavier and the springloaded mechanism doesn't work that well on mine but I don't really care. Then put the PS2 back together.

It took me like 10 minutes before was playing Mushihimesama.

Also let me rubb on them bewbz

ShowDog

The slim PS2's are kinda strange. I would believe what some people said about stuff not working. I had Half-Life on PS2 (I since got rid of it, it was $5 at blockbuster gimme a break) and it wouldnt play on my brand new slim ps2, and my buddies workhorse old regular ps2 booted it just fine. I get lots of DNAS authentication errors when playing 2k5 sports games online also, but I dont know if thats the system or the crappy games. They are quiet, but the space saving feature is kinda ruined by the flip top which needs a lot of space to open.

*NOT THAT I AM COMPLAINING* As I'm all for hot women..especially those with bigguns.

But what point did posting the hot, busty goth chick have?

neptunes

No fliptop, just slimTool...

e5l7qs.jpg

Matlock

Banned
goodgothgirl3jw.jpg

"Hey guys, I'm looking for a PS2 (regular, not slim) fliptop kit, can you link me to a good site that sells them?"

i, again, have highly legit reasons

kIdMuScLe

Matlock said:

wait a minute, how come we are not talking about her?!!?! man i would like to play with her buttons and have her jack me off till my soul come out and FUCK MAN TEHM TITTIES!!!!!

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Don't get the new Slim PSTwo's. My friend got 1 and the PowEr suPly caught on fire and like, burnt up his entertainment center tat he payed $5000 4. He caled SontY N tehy told him that he should have bauhgt RE4 for the GameCube because teh PS2 version is full of jaggies.
STFU.

I own one, and it works like a dream. :)

can somebody link to that thread where everyone is jerking off to this pic?>

who in the world would jak off to pictures like this LoL and why would her being 14 make you wana jak off to it more?

kIdMuScLe

momolicious said:

who in the world would jak off to pictures like this LoL and why would her being 14 make you wana jak off to it more?

are you gay or what?

Raiden

Banned
momolicious said:

Its GAF...

fapfapfapfapfap

Top Bottom