• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Silent Hill 4 Bonus

Solid

w00t SolidSnakex was right again... Konami Europe better top this or else!!

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/523/523252p1.html
June 14, 2004 - The folks at Konami TYO are looking to make including the soundtrack for its current Silent Hill series a bit of a yearly tradition; as the company has confirmed today that it will once again be bundling a musical CD with the Japanese release of Silent Hill 4 later this week. Though the number of tracks on the musical CD haven't been disclosed, history dictates that the number of selections could be anywhere from two or three to every song in the game. We guess that we'll just have to wait until we get our grubby little mitts on it to find out.

On a related note, we contacted American Konami representatives to see if the U.S. version of the game would include the same bonus as well, or like Silent Hill 3, include an even better one. "We have not announced this feature for the U.S. market," said the Konami rep we spoke with. "Though, we are evaluating the options so anything is possible."

And so there you have it. We'll be back with more on Silent Hill 4 later this week when we have impressions from the final Japanese version that ships in June 17. Check back then.

Solid

Same here. A 'Best of Silent Hill' collection would be cool though. The 20 greatest songs from SH1-3 and some songs from SH4.

I have a hunch we Europeans will get this too. Last year we got SH3 first without any soundtrack, and this year we get SH4 last, but probably with the music CD.

cvxfreak

Deepthroat said:
Same here. A 'Best of Silent Hill' collection would be cool though. The 20 greatest songs from SH1-3 and some songs from SH4.

I have a hunch we Europeans will get this too. Last year we got SH3 first without any soundtrack, and this year we get SH4 last, but probably with the music CD.

This idea is -really- off the hook.

There is something similiar to what ya'll want - the Lost Memories DVD . Contains all OSTS (SH1-3), many pictures from the games, early developmental shots, all trailers, Usagi, plus more I can't remember at the moment . Lots of goodies for the SH nutcase (raises hand) .

You can also see some pics of it on maskriders site here . Its quite well put together I think .

maskrider

Got the game today.

The opening movie looks to me like one of the available trailers. (I haven't seen them all so not sure which)

THe following 2 galleries contain all the images that I have uploaded

SH Games gallery
http://gallery.felixmcli.org/gallery/shboxes?page=6

SH4 screen captures
http://gallery.felixmcli.org/gallery/sh4-caps

The CD is a short version of the 2nd CD of SH4 OST.

Some inline here

Title screen
sh4-title.jpg

Options (you can select Japanese/English)
sh4-options.jpg

Box image
sh4-jp.jpg

sh4-jp-b.jpg

Manual
sh4-manual.jpg

sh4-manual-b.jpg

Manual page with that 8cm mini-CD
sh4-cdpage-wcd.jpg

sh4-cdpage-wocd.jpg

Solid

You are without a doubt the biggest SH fan I've seen :)

Thanks for the pictures. How's the game so far? I see you've played it for 20 min :p

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If there was only a way that I could easily play imported PS2 titles...

I'd snap this one up in a split second!!

Then again, perhaps I should wait and hope for the XBOX version as the game would look much nicer in progressive scan (plus, September 8th isn't really THAT far away).

maskrider

Sirolf said:
Is the game entirely in english,Maskrider?
If so,i order it ASAP from Play-Asia :)

I think it is, at least it is English all the way so far.

Deepthroat said:
How's the game so far? I see you've played it for 20 min :p

Mostly examining the stuffs, ha ha ! So can't say anything concrete.

The graphics is better than the previous screens. But the movement of Henry is really sliding, more like Michael Jackson's moon walking when in battle ready state.

maskrider

Deepthroat said:
Heh, ok. Is that beatiful Title Screen song still there? You know the one that was in the E3 demo.

I am not sure, I think the opening is just one of the trailers, but the section with the song is not very long, more like an earlier trailer.

The title screen only has some "guiter" like music as background.

Solid

maskrider said:
The title screen only has some "guiter" like music as background.
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. I saw some videos at silenthillheaven's forum from E3 and one of the movies was from the main title screen, with an awesome song in the background. Good to hear it's still there.

FnordChan

adelgary said:
I think I'm tired of Silent Hill

"Although it is excruciatingly rich, horrifyingly sunny and more full of wonderfully exciting people than a pomegranate is of pips, it can hardly be insignificant that when a recent edition of Playbeing magazine headlined an article with the words "When you are tired of Silent Hill you are tired of life", the suicide rate quadrupled overnight."

FnordChan

maskrider

SolidSnakex said:
So have you checked out the soundtrack yet, mask? How does it compare to the previous games?

I don't have the sound tracks, not yet available from any online retailers. Only the people who ordered the limited version will get the full OST.

Only a 8cm mini-CD was bundled in the game, and that is a short version of the 2nd CD of the OST.

ourumov

Even on characters ?
I saw a couple of screenshots where there were no shadows (ony felixmcli)...Well, I'll believe you :) .

maskrider

Maggo007 said:
sh4_difficulty.jpg

So there are no separate difficulty settings for riddle and action?

Linking to the pictures in the gallery will not work.

Link to the ones that on the silenthill directory of the main site instead.

sh4-difficulty.jpg

Riddle level is the same for Easy and Normal, Hard will be harder in riddle level.

Easy, Normal and Hard are action levels.

maskrider

ourumov said:
Even on characters ?
I saw a couple of screenshots where there were no shadows (ony felixmcli)...Well, I'll believe you :) .

The shadow is soft, it may be the reason that they are easy to be missed

sh4-shadow-1.jpg

sh4-shadow-2.jpg

He needs to get to a dark spot that has one main light source shining on the character which is when SH's shadows really come out. When you're in bright places the shadows have never really been that evident. Remember running in the alley in SH3? There really weren't any shadows there that I could remember, and if they were they were very light.

Link316

Banned
On a related note, we contacted American Konami representatives to see if the U.S. version of the game would include the same bonus as well, or like Silent Hill 3, include an even better one. "We have not announced this feature for the U.S. market," said the Konami rep we spoke with. "Though, we are evaluating the options so anything is possible."

I guess that's a no ;_;

maskrider

SolidSnakex said:
He needs to get to a dark spot that has one main light source shining on the character which is when SH's shadows really come out. When you're in bright places the shadows have never really been that evident. Remember running in the alley in SH3? There really weren't any shadows there that I could remember, and if they were they were very light.

Shots may not be that noticeable, but when in game, the shadow is easily noticeable.

edit: my head is spinning after going through multiple continuous rotating camera angles walking along a couple of alleys. I have already finished a couple of areas.

Solid

Can anyone rip and host the songs from the bundled CD? I know you can listen to some songs at konamistyle but I want full mp3 samples :)

maskrider said:
Shots may not be that noticeable, but when in game, the shadow is easily noticeable.

edit: my head is spinning after going through multiple continuous rotating camera angles walking along a couple of alleys. I have already finished a couple of areas.

So as of now, how does it compare to the previous games in all categories. Music, graphics, and story? Is the story as character driven as SH2 or more about the town like in SH1?

cvxfreak

Maskrider, are the language options ONLY in Japanese and English? Are there Korean language options too because SH4 is to be released in Korea the same day as Japan.

ourumov

I was amazed by SH2/3 shadow engine...It was an important gameplay element since it was great on some parts...For instance in the corridors where the enemies casted shadows...
I hope to hear your impressions Maskrider comparing XBOX and PS2 versions plus a comparisson to SH3 (graphics tech). The story is a thing I was to keep away from me...at least till I beat SH3 and SH4.

;=

maskrider

CVXFREAK said:
Maskrider, are the language options ONLY in Japanese and English? Are there Korean language options too because SH4 is to be released in Korea the same day as Japan.

Only Japanese and English.

SolidSnakex said:
So as of now, how does it compare to the previous games in all categories. Music, graphics, and story? Is the story as character driven as SH2 or more about the town like in SH1?

Many people are asking me that, for story, I think it is getting more and more interesting now, but need more time to post meaningful comment. For graphics, about SH3 level. Camera is like somewhere between SH and SH2, that's why my head is spinning after walking through a couple of alleys (and indeed it is still spinning).

I have to turn the volume low enough to not disturb others, may be more later when I use the headphone. So far, the story is based on the characters and there are already surprises.

No Japanese X-BOX version will be available, so the time X-BOX version is out, the US and UK versions might already be out.

The thing that I don't like is Henry is sliding than walking in many battle conditions, and so do the monsters.

maskrider said:
Many people are asking me that, for story, I think it is getting more and more interesting now, but need more time to post meaningful comment. For graphics, about SH3 level. Camera is like somewhere between SH and SH2, that's why my head is spinning after walking through a couple of alleys (and indeed it is still spinning).

Best news on the game so far. Most people here consider SH2 to be the best in the series (including me) so that improves my anticipation for it. SH2's character development was great, especially for such a short game, it managed to work out every character situation really well.

How many "main" characters have you met so far? Yamaoka said that SH4 was going to have the biggest cast of characters so far.

maskrider

SolidSnakex said:
Best news on the game so far. Most people here consider SH2 to be the best in the series (including me) so that improves my anticipation for it. SH2's character development was great, especially for such a short game, it managed to work out every character situation really well.

How many "main" characters have you met so far? Yamaoka said that SH4 was going to have the biggest cast of characters so far.

7 at the moment, there should be a bit more.

Deepthroat said:
How does that portal work?

The portal goes between the room and specific places, it will only go from the room to one specific portal that you've returned from. Once you cleared an area, it will lead you to another area.

How is "The Room" aspect working out? Team Silent has said over and over that the game would take place 50% in "The Room" and 50% out of it. The actual room looks pretty small so what exactly do they have you doing in it? Does it get repetitive?

maskrider

SolidSnakex said:
How is "The Room" aspect working out? Team Silent has said over and over that the game would take place 50% in "The Room" and 50% out of it. The actual room looks pretty small so what exactly do they have you doing in it? Does it get repetitive?

You must go back to the room from time to time, Henry can only carry 10 items on the go and he must store the extra stuffs into the storage chest. And at some points in the game you will need the chest to get through them.

And when you go back to the room, your health will restore.

The actions may be repetitive, but the thing you see will not be. At the moment, I am > 80% outside of the room.

So you're able to go back into the room anytime you want? Or do you have to complete a specific objective each time around?

The latest trailer seem to suggest that there will be more interesting things happening in the room as you advance (if you saw it then you know what I mean).

maskrider

SolidSnakex said:
So you're able to go back into the room anytime you want? Or do you have to complete a specific objective each time around?

The latest trailer seem to suggest that there will be more interesting things happening in the room as you advance (if you saw it then you know what I mean).

You go back through the portals.

As I am progressing, the room has always been changing and some interesting things had happened.

maskrider

Deepthroat said:
Thanks for sharing this with us maskrider. Is the game scary? :)

A bit scary here and there. But I think I am still very early in the game even though I am playing the fifth area.

Top Bottom