• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Store Adds a New Five-Star Rating System to Score Your PS5, PS4 Games

ZoukGalaxy

More precisely, they BRING BACK the rating they stupidly REMOVED with the new PS Store, how really stupid you were Sony with this dumb idea !
Remove it then pretend you had a genius idea to add it, like Google constantly removing features "for your own good and security".

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It was already there a few years ago, then removed now reintroduced?
Sony made a barebones store when they had that big update a few years back and they've been slowly bringing back old features like wishlists. I have to say I'm surprised about bringing back the rating system. I would imagine they would keep it hidden to potentially avoid weaker sales of controversial/buggy titles.

Monokrom

The rating feature just rolled out here in Sweden, so I tried it out. It's a bit weird. Some titles you can rate and others not.
I cannot rate Diablo IV (digital) or Final Fantasy XVI (disc) but I can rate the trial version of Cyberpunk 2077 for example.
Some games work, others not. Anyone else with the same problem?

Draugoth

Gold Member
Via Eurogamer

Sony has today introduced Star Ratings on the PS Store, meaning players can get an idea of how any given game has been received by fellow players before making a purchase.

As you can see in the screenshots below, the likes of Robocop: Rogue City has a 4.53 star rating on the PlayStation Store. The Lord of the Rings: Gollum, meanwhile, only has 2.59.

18bd870aa8949-screenshotUrl.jpg
18bd86f0b4799-screenshotUrl.jpg

This new rating system is not limited to the games released this year, with the Uncharted 2: Among Thieves' remaster sitting (quite rightly in my opinion) with 4.59 stars.

Uncharted: Among Thieves Resmaster PS store pageImage credit: Sony/Eurogamer

The stars themselves are generated by PlayStation users, who can only rate a game if they actually own it in some capacity. As you can see in the image below, when I went onto my version of the Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection, I was met with the message "you haven't rated this game yet".

Blanked out stars on Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection with a message stating I was yet to rate the game

Last edited:

David B

An Idiot
Yup I noticed also. Which is great. Because Xbox has already had rating every game with stars since like 10 years ago. So finally Sony doing it with PS5 now on the store. It's great. I gave a 5 star for Resident Evil 4 new one.

Tommi84

Is it just me whole news reads like it was written by AI?

The wording seems similar to Zuckenberg's memes - i bought human food. It was nice.

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure how that works, but the old one sucks since they don't know if own the game or not. Basically all my physical games are impossible to rate, while most of digital can be rated.

skit_data

It's a step in the right direction but the feature I miss that seems like an obvious one would be to actually find other games by the same developer easily (like a separate store page with all their games included).

It's quite absurd that to find other games by Housemarque after playing Returnal I had to go browse the web. Really wierd, it should be front and center, especially when it's a first party developer.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's a step in the right direction but the feature I miss that seems like an obvious one would be to actually find other games by the same developer easily (like a separate store page with all their games included).
Switch has something similar most people don't know about. Pick a game and you can click on the publisher link near the game title. Extremely useful during sales.

Last edited:
Two things they should add immediately:

1) Some form of check to where you can only rate a video game if you have played the game/launched the application.

2) Put a "This person earned the 'finished game' trophy" disclaimer next to their review.

Both would help with random review bombing and 5/5 hype review spam.

Top Bottom