• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proving the Concepts: How Nintendo's Revolution will change games forever (1UP)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Hm, never saw a video of it before.

OK scratch the word "tambourine" from my comment and then it's accurate. Seriously, change the game's graphics, take away the specific arc motions and exchange touch controls with an onscreen avatar, and that's Technic Beat right there. It's a $20 PS2 game, you should try it if you think this looks good.

koam

I just saw a video of Technic Beat. While it bares ressemblances to Ouendan, the former is a lot faster and seems to control a lot better too.

Oh and Drinky, i'm still waiting for your comments on my examples.

Drinky Crow said:
gee, where was all the Ninthing support when I was mocking the Rev controller for being nothing more than a vehicle for gestural mini-games.

so there's apparently limitless possibilities that AREN'T gestural implementations and are somehow more fun or engaging with a controller that moves in a limited 3D space and translates those actions into 2D. Care to share 'em? (We've already been over why it'll make FPS games more accurate and RTS games more tiresome -- the "virtual mouse" bit's been discussed ad nauseum. No points there.)

The responses from real developers/designers in that article were realistic. The Drinky Crow agenda is pleased.

For one, the telekenesis thing is pretty exciting. Or any game that involves actually manipulating an object in 3D space. Not too sure where you get the whole "movement in 3D space translated into 2D actions onscreen" thing. Both the FPS and RTS applications you listed would obviously be using 2D space only, but the potential is for other, more interesting game types.

koam said:
I'm not sure how you are interpreting their responses as negative. They pretty much said that it isn't limited to mini-games. What do you mean by "translates those actions in 2D"? It isn't translating into 2D, it's sending X,Y,Z coordinates.

Yer TV screen is still 2D, sparky.

Racing games will work very well. Don't think of rotating the controller to mimmick a steering wheel, that's just dumb. Instead, tilting the controlling slightly left or right, and pulling it back to brake and pushing forward to accelarate would work really well.

how's that any better than a pad + analog trigger? sounds a lot worse, actually, and a lot less practical.

FPS/RTS are no brainers like you said.

FPS games are. RTS games, on the other hand, are not given that the endless bandboxing and clicking without the waggle wand resting on a flat surface is gonna get old, quick.

RPGs are fantastic. "A" button = action, "B" could open up a menu (For as long as you hold it) and then you point to option you want and release it. While you may say "you can easily do that on a controller", I won't disagree there, but after playing meteos with and without the stylus and inputing 50 codes into my friend's list in mario kart, point-click is so much faster.

We've had this in PC RPGs for ages, and it hasn't made THEM any better. Once again, you're still stuck with conventional mouse-esque implementations, implementations that are impractical or analogous to more conventional controller methods, or more of the silly gestural stuff.

Seriously, is there REALLY countless new interface implementations waiting to happen? Seriously, outside of FPS games, what's it REALLY gonna improve?

[R]etry/[A]bort?

papercut

Drinky Crow said:
Seriously, is there REALLY countless new implementations waiting to happen?

[R]etry/[A]bort?

Obviously not countless, but you'd have to be incredibly closed-minded not to see that the wand will at least let us see some interesting new control schemes. I'm 23 and I'm getting bored of mainstream gameplay--I'd love to try some crazy wand-swinging stuff.

Nintendo would not take the crazy route if they didn't have some games in the works to back it up.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Luckett_X said:
Precisely. I don't play games for a job (even though Shenmue did odd things to me).

If i want to conduct music, I'll do that in real life. If I want to fish, I'll go fishing. If I want to cut someones body open and operate, I'll hire a whore and make her shut up forever.

These idea's are dull and uninspired. I play games for fantastical new worlds and experiences. Frying up some chinese food isnt interactive entertainment, its just a pale copy of something I can go into my kitchen and do right now.

I completely disagree with your post. I think you're extremely closed-minded. Interactive entertainment doesnt have to fall within a few genres. If you can't see the differences, and the benefits of even something you could do in real life presented in a virtual manner.. then I have nothing to say.

koam

Drinky Crow said:
Yer TV screen is still 2D, sparky.

That doesn't change the fact that you're using a 3D pointing device to manipulate objects in a 3D game world. The screen being 2D has no relevance, it's just a camera angle for the game.

how's that any better than a pad + analog trigger? sounds a lot worse, actually, and a lot less practical.

For games like GT it may not be fully suitable, but for games like F-Zero, wipeout (which you like), Mario Kart and even Burnout (since it's faster paced) it would work well.

FPS games are. RTS games, on the other hand, are not given that the endless bandboxing and clicking without the waggle wand resting on a flat surface is gonna get old, quick.

You're going to be resting your elbows on your knee or chair's arm like you do when you play a regular console game. What's the problem there? The Revmote is very accurate and can detect small movements just like a mouse. That's been said countless amount of times.

We've had this in PC RPGs for ages, and it hasn't made THEM any better. Once again, you're still stuck with conventional mouse-esque implementations, implementations that are impractical or analogous to more conventional controller methods, or more of the silly gestural stuff.

Honestly, I don't play RPGs much. But regardless, its a fast control scheme and does work better than an conventional controller. Again, I don't get why you're saying "silly gestural stuff". That revolution video where people are jumping around like monkeys is overly exagerated. You don't move your arms in the air like a lunatic.

Seriously, is there REALLY countless new interface implementations waiting to happen? Seriously, outside of FPS games, what's it REALLY gonna improve?

I think that depends on the application. It makes it easier to do certain actions in games that are harder, or sloppier to do with a conventional pad. Of course, there's certain devs (EA) that won't have any idea how to use the remote, but most of them should find some creative ways. I'm expecting first gen games to suck but second gen will be loads better. It's the same thing with the DS and the touch screen, the first wave were gimmicky and then they got a lot better. Oh and before you go on about how much you hate the DS, keep in mind that the PSP2 will most likely use a touchpad :p[/QUOTE]

[R]etry/[A]bort?
R :p

Papi

Mihail said:
Here Nintendo presents gamers and developers with the first intuitive and practical 3D controller. That's right -- we're no longer limited to a plane of control at a time. They didn't have to do this for us, but they did.

... and what these losers come up with is magic wands and dental equipment?

-1 imagination
I completely agree. These uncreative people annoy me.

papercut

Papi said:
I completely agree. These uncreative people annoy me.

keep in mind that if somebody already had a killer idea, they wouldn't rush out and tell everyone. they'd actually make the game first.

One cool concept that I thought of the other day...Have two Revolution controllers for a first-person shooter, which is all about dual-wielding, so you can aim two different directions at once. It would certaily be a different take on first-person shooting.

ziran

1up's article is from the point of view of the hardcore, the group most offended by nintendo's persuit of people who aren't currently playing games, and so are many replys here, but you don't have to buy a revolution.

as for sales potential, well i don't think anybody here could've predicted nintendogs selling 2 million worldwide pre nov/dec, or that two brain training games would dominate the 2005 japanese charts.

papercut said:
Obviously not countless, but you'd have to be incredibly closed-minded not to see that the wand will at least let us see some interesting new control schemes. I'm 23 and I'm getting bored of mainstream gameplay--I'd love to try some crazy wand-swinging stuff.

Nintendo would not take the crazy route if they didn't have some games in the works to back it up.

I dont know why pple here still answer to Drinky posts regarding anything Nintendo related, i mean even when he is being "serious" he constantly tries to put the company down whatever they do........its just not worth it, really.....its like hitting a wall constantly and not knowing how to stop....

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just package the revolution "core pack" with the classic shell. All this Nintendo hates games talk will be pretty much squished. If it comes with a motion sensing wavebird, how is it not the best controller on the market?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
bluemercury said:
I dont know why pple here still answer to Drinky posts
Don't you Nintendo fans appreciate the opportunity to clearly define why you love your dear company so much?

Besides, what comes first:
koam said:
Drinky, i'm still waiting for your comments on my examples.
Drinky Crow, or the people that ask for Drinky Crow.
Anyway
catfish said:
just package the revolution "core pack" with the classic shell. All this Nintendo hates games talk will be pretty much squished.
So would all the hyperbole about trying to make a product to appeal to non-gamers and have hardware that would provide new innovation, right?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dog$ said:
So would all the hyperbole about trying to make a product to appeal to non-gamers and have hardware that would provide new innovation, right?

well if you put the remote seperate from the shell in the box, all the non gamers that are scared of something that doesn't look like a tv remote wouldn't pick the shell up now, would they?

That way they cater to both. And if they launch with software that adresses both demographics (SSBM and something NUTS) then what is the problem?

Sunski

I think Nintendo is going to try and go all out with making their first party games control with JUST the wand. How can you see them controlling the likes of Smash Bros and co with just that?

Taker666

bjork said:
drummania has 4 or 5 drums... how is it going to replicate that?

Well I would assume quite easily, you wouldn't need to even press a button.

Surely since the controller senses depth height and position, the drums would be positioned in a virtual area.

9 drums could be replicated quite easily on just a 2d plane. Imagine a 3 by 3 grid on a vertical plane in front of you. Hit the remote high ,medium, low and centre, left , right.

For a few more drums you could simply hold the remote at different distances. Remote close to the body for one set and at arms length for another.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sunski said:
I think Nintendo is going to try and go all out with making their first party games control with JUST the wand. How can you see them controlling the likes of Smash Bros and co with just that?

It really wouldn't look to crazy to a non gamer if the bottom of the remote had a diamond 4 button layout instead of 2, then you could just turn it on it's side.

I dunno, it will be interesting, Nintendo will get angry-mobbed if they don't get SSBM control perfect though I imagine.

dog$ said:
Don't you Nintendo fans appreciate the opportunity to clearly define why you love your dear company so much?

Anyway

Yes, im a Nintendo fan and in gaming in general and i play my PS2 too as well. But tell me does a person needs to be a fan of anything to see the trend of Drinky Crow posts?

COCKLES

being watched
I don't think Revolution will be classed as a 'console' in the traditional sense. I look at as more of a family entertainment centre. Something you get out when your cousains or family come around at special events.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
Drinky Crow said:
Nintendo's taken the crazy route on a number of occasions: Virtual Boy, 64DD, "connectivity", cartridge media.

bwahahaha i remember the days when they were trying to push connectivity. how sad it was to watch.

Sunski

Sweedishrodeo said:
bwahahaha i remember the days when they were trying to push connectivity. how sad it was to watch.

Why does no-one laugh that they tried to push LAN play? That was soooo popular to wasn't it? Oh that's right! LAN Gaming is cool!

Connectivity was a fun gimmick for those that tried it, and a non entity or a laughing stock to those that didn't. They never claimed it would change the world BUT it did become part of the basis behind the DS and its 2 screens so in some sense you could call it a successful concept.

birdchili

Add me to the list of folks that think someone is going to do some sweet things with a telekenesis game on this thing (probably nunchucku-style, with analog for avatar move, and the wand for aim, grab, throw, etc...).

Joust 3d Revolution
control: just the wand

More of an adventure than the PvP of the original Joust. First person, or third person behind-the-bird perspective. Flap and glide on buttons, control pitch and yaw with the controller. Giant world of floating islands to explore.

The feeling of flight and 3d combat would be great: flapping like mad, banking and gliding around for another lance-first charge. Online or split-screen for duels with other players of course. RPG elements for upgrading ostrich and lance.

koam

dog$ said:

Uhh, why don't you look through the thread? He asked to show him examples and I did.

ziran said:
1up's article is from the point of view of the hardcore, the group most offended by nintendo's persuit of people who aren't currently playing games, and so are many replys here, but you don't have to buy a revolution.

as for sales potential, well i don't think anybody here could've predicted nintendogs selling 2 million worldwide pre nov/dec, or that two brain training games would dominate the 2005 japanese charts.

I don't understand how people FAILED to see Nintendogs coming. It only took a rudimentary look at the gameplay mechanics and box art to figure it would be HUGE. As bad editors are prone to say in the newspaper business: never understimate the power of cute animals and kids.

WindyMan

Monk said:
I think the interview was too restictive. I mean for music games, I can see two rev controllers being used to create a new breed of beatmania style games. Can you imagine a ddr game that forces you to move your hands accurately aswell?

DDR Extreme 2 has a game mode with the EyeToy where you need to step on arrows and move your hands at the same time. I haven't tried it, but I've heard it's pretty gimmicky just like a lot of EyeToy stuff is.

DSN2K

Drinky Crow said:
Nintendo's taken the crazy route on a number of occasions: Virtual Boy, 64DD, "connectivity", cartridge media.

staying with cart's was a save move very much in the form of 360 staying with DVD's.

and we all know how that turned out.

dog$ said:
Even if it did happen, I think most of their fans would gobble it up anyway.

Say, what're you doing there Ee-water?
Why I'm having the time of my life whitewashing these here fences.
Shoot, that doesn't look like fun to me.
It doesn't? Well what if I told you I'm whitewashing with the help of
whitewashrevolution.jpg

the Revolution?!
Revolutionary whitewashing you say! Well shee-yut, sign me up!

How has this genius post not gotten more luv?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Triumph said:
REMOTROLLER FTW!!!

Every fucking week, I swear.
Hey now...Quiet down! Revolution threads are great for the comedy they provide...Fanboys and anti-fanboys all trying to see who's is bigger and all looking quite pathetic in the process.

Triumph

Banned
dog$ said:
Even if it did happen, I think most of their fans would gobble it up anyway.

Say, what're you doing there Ee-water?
Why I'm having the time of my life whitewashing these here fences.
Shoot, that doesn't look like fun to me.
It doesn't? Well what if I told you I'm whitewashing with the help of
whitewashrevolution.jpg

the Revolution?!
Revolutionary whitewashing you say! Well shee-yut, sign me up!
Ok, that is FUCKING GENIUS

koam

quadriplegicjon said:
that article is way too fucken long to read.

It's people like you who made microsoft and nintendo add "power off" buttons for their consoles on their controllers. God bless you.

koam said:
It's people like you who made microsoft and nintendo add "power off" buttons for their consoles on their controllers. God bless you.
Given that controllers aren't tethered to consoles any more, it makes a whole lot of sense. Regardless, TV remote controls have been around far longer.

koam

AndoCalrissian said:
Given that controllers aren't tethered to consoles any more, it makes a whole lot of sense. Regardless, TV remote controls have been around far longer.

I didn't say otherwise.

Mihail

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
cartridge media.
While I'm not saying that Nintendo shouldn't have switched to disks (and earlier), carts are not "crazy." High storage cartridges are the future, and will become the present when they can be sold at a reasonable price. Disks are just a stop-gap.

ccharla

Monk said:
I
Some of the comments are just plain wrong. ie.

<quote from some dork about how two-player simultanious lightsaber games will hard to do w/ both players in the same room>

This assumes that the people are sitting next to each other. If two people were a metre between each other i see no problems, but I can see how it would be unfeasable for 4 players. Soul Calibur is a game that comes to mind.

The problem is, how would you show the two people on screen? Sideways, like a traditional fighter? Then how do the players stand? Sideways, trying to look at the screen with their heads turned? I think in the first gen of NR games at least, people are going to want to be orientated towards the screen, first person style -- most of the ideas so far just assume a first-person orientation. So, would it be like a two person tennis match, and one person was doing his moves in a mirror image of what he was seeing on sceen?

If you went third person, side-view, it might work ok, but it would really abstract out the motions you were doing with your controller from what you guy was doing. It might be fun... but you'd totally lose the similarity between what your hand was doing and what your guy was doing. If you had to flip things mentally by 90 degrees (so you're doing moves face on, but your guy is facing his opponent), it might work... but imagine pushing forwards on a d-pad now to do a "towards" move in a fighting game. It might be really awkward.

Bottom line: until someone tries it in a game, on a Revolution (or a similar setup), it's going to be kind of tough to tell if some given gameplay idea will be fun or a gimmick, but I definitely applaud 1up for making the effort to shed some light on some situations.

At least, the Bushido Blade (first person mode) idea was a good one.

I guess the big thing is how fast and accurate the response is on the final device. For more complex stuff, it's going to be interesting to see how designers decide on how much tolerance for movements is needed to translate into the desired action on-screen. It almost seems like it'll be only really feasible to accept and design around simple movements, as more subtle input might be impossible to guarantee the corresponding action without asking the player to be perfect in execution every time...think current video game voice recognition for specific actions. That is, unless you ask the player to move the controller in some whacked out ways to separate the distinct inputs for different actions...but that makes the game input now fairly unintuitive...which counters the point of the device, I suppose. Otherwise, the popular alternative will probably be to sacrifice a lot of the accuracy demands of the player to ensure a more enjoyable, pick-up-and-play experience. If the player input is generally made simple, then the games, too, will probably be simple. Then again, I guess that's what Nintendo wants.

Top Bottom