• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Scarlett will replace Xbox One S in Project xCloud

CyberPanda

Banned
"We designed [Project] Scarlett with the cloud in mind as well."

Xbox One S consoles in Project xCloud racks will eventually be replaced by Project Scarlett, Microsoft’s Kareem Choudhry confirmed with Stevivor.

For xCloud, Microsoft has deployed 2U racks with eight Xbox One S consoles in each across thirteen Azure data centres worldwide. Choudhry told Stevivor that Project xCloud will evolve over time.

“We designed [Project] Scarlett with the cloud in mind as well, and just as you’re going to see our console product family evolve with that next generation, the cloud is going to evolve along with it,” Choudhry told Stevivor at X019.

Fortune Magazine was walked through current Project xCloud hardware in the video below.

Project xCloud is in an active trial in the UK, the US and Korea. The preview program will extend to more regions— and more devices — in 2020

Mass Shift

This is what I thought they would do. When Scarlet launches, Xbox one X will be discontinued

You might be right. Microsoft stopped manufacturing the 360 in early 2016. But the 360 was still popular and selling pretty well after 2013.

Gven the XOne's lack of popularity, it will NOT have the same afterlife as the 360 did after Scarlet launches. The XOne family will still have Live, Pass and time limited crossgen support, but no one will be able to purchase any of them. And MS will be all too anxious to close the book on the XOne.

Last edited:
I just got into x cloud today. i was expecting a lot of lag. Not even playing at home. connected my old lg phone of100 bucks to a 200 mb work wifi with other deices using network. Tried ori first. Ran great really surprised. Played gears. very little lag did notice a bit when i turned cam but overall totally playable. Deided to go for a ation game so went with darksiders. It felt like i was playing right from the console. so good and responsive. This blows me away. I love that I can play on a console and wince im someone who is always working or on the go I can just bust this out and keep playing. Will be perfect for when pillers 2 comes out or divinity or even doing playing regular action games. This is a game changr and while its bundled with gamepass helps me think xbox has next gen on lockdown now. great 1st party support great hardware. great services. x cloud.

ZywyPL

Banned
Man, the X1S that runs xCloud right now is already killing Stadia with its high-end specs, I can only imagine what Scarlett-based streaming will deliver, 4K HDR 60FPS starts to feel doable. If MS will indeed take care of upgrading the hardware every now and then, they will cover pretty much every checkbox of what a streaming gaming service should look like. Really interested to see how it will evolve in the future.

MS use virtual machines to run game instances, even on consumer Xbox units (hypervisor, game OS, dash OS).

I wouldn't be suprised if a single Scarlett could run two or even three instances of an Xbox 1 S game. It'll have the CPU, the memory, the GPU, the storage access speed. Should have everything.

You'll save rack space and probably increase power efficiency per game played.

TeamGhobad

Banned
SoC for server blades is likely different from the consumer product SoC.

that was the old rumor from last year which lead to ps5 being more powerful. MS expected sony to sell the ps5 for profit and they would sell it at a loss but double as a server blade. sony is now also selling at a loss. once again the xbox soc is gimped.

Depends on what your server is focused on. Very high int8 performance for example could have some interesting uses in games down the line.

It looks like both MS and Sony are based on Navi though, so there probably isn't going to be too much difference in things like FP64 ability. Though I guess we'll see.

CeeJay

Don't expect this thread to be popular lol. It does not support MS manufacturing and supporting the base one until 2050 holding games back that entire times. While the the PS7 blows those games away lol.
Yeah right, hyperbole. No one has been saying that. The general consensus is that at the start all games will work on current hardware but then by the time we get towards the end of the coming gen there will be very few games coming out that still work on the current hardware.

Bryank75

Banned
So, let me get this straight.... this Stevivor guy pans Death Stranding and a few days later he is at X019 getting an exclusive scoop?

That doesn't look good to me!

FranXico

So, let me get this straight.... this Stevivor guy pans Death Stranding and a few days later he is at X019 getting an exclusive scoop?

MS invited all sorts of news outlets, sites and content creators to X019 for coverage, nothing more.
I just saw a video of the Laymen Gaming guys at X019 wearing their GoW and Kojima sweaters, jokingly saying they were "shilling Xbox".

If someone happens to be an Xbox fanboy, that's another story.

Yeah right, hyperbole. No one has been saying that. The general consensus is that at the start all games will work on current hardware but then by the time we get towards the end of the coming gen there will be very few games coming out that still work on the current hardware.

I give it about 18 months after launch until cross platform games start dropping like flies.

Yeah, MS decided to risk bribing Stevivor - and Stevivor alone - to give highly divisive game "Death Stranding" a low mark in exchange for revealing things we already know.

Credit where it's due though, Setevivovioir is good at making a name for himself.

Pallas

Gold Member
that was the old rumor from last year which lead to ps5 being more powerful. MS expected sony to sell the ps5 for profit and they would sell it at a loss but double as a server blade. sony is now also selling at a loss. once again the xbox soc is gimped.

A rumor doesn’t make it gimped and as FranXico FranXico mentioned above the consumer version and the version used for server blades could be different.

Pallas

Gold Member
COULD BE, but it isn't. it would take too much engineering time and effort to create two versions. nope.

Yet you’re going off on an old rumor? “It’ll be too much time and effort” isn’t a valid rebuttal. Especially when you take the company behind it into perspective. Stop spreading false information based on a rumor.

Top Bottom