• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Professional) Painters on GAF

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hello, and welcome.

Inquiry,

What are your interpretations/responses on this analysis of these paintings and the techniques they used anno 1900.

Feel free to ignore the obvious interpretation by the narrators.

Just very curious on our hopefully objective community's opinion regarding this video.

Please ignore the narrators conclusions.

I'm curious regarding the techniques used even in the 1400's.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Maybe the magic is in the artist dedication from early age to developing and honing the skills required to create non reproducible works, works that we want to be deceived by.

The masters cited in the video, particularly Da Vinci, were genius masters of their craft who studied under previous masters (Da Vinci under Verrocchio @ 15). Some masters operated schools in addition to having apprentices who would help with the paintings (or sculptures). If metaphysical practices were employed to produce these works then it was highly known and I suspect would be part of artistic education today. Remember that masterpieces were being produced in more than just Italy so that knowledge would have been disseminated. Perhaps some of the artist were alchemist (evidently not-an-artist physicists Newton was) but that was in addition to being masters of their craft.

I‘ve seen almost all the pieces in that video in person. I’m the guy setting off alarms by getting to close. And I somewhat disagree with their assertion that brush strokes aren’t visible. Go to a museum and look at the paintings and you will see brush strokes at least occasionally, maybe not on the Mona Lisa but you’re only allowed to get about 3 meters close so I don’t know. Mona Lisa is a masterclass which can’t be summed up quickly but youtube has some amazing breakdowns.

I have seen some pieces still with pin holes where string for perspective was used over the course of the work but there are lots of techniques for perspective.

You’ve probably already been but if not, go to Rijksmuseum there in Amsterdam. It’s great especially if you are a fan of Rembrandt.

Also, Isn’t the philosophers stone theoretically for transmutation of base metals into gold?

CGNoire

Sorry I had to checkout once "she" brought up "forgotten advanced civilizations" ....yeah no.

I will say that Da Vinici sure as hell wasnt grinding his own pigments since that was his apprentices job.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Maybe the magic is in the artist dedication from early age to developing and honing the skills required to create non reproducible works, works that we want to be deceived by.

The masters cited in the video, particularly Da Vinci, were genius masters of their craft who studied under previous masters (Da Vinci under Verrocchio @ 15). Some masters operated schools in addition to having apprentices who would help with the paintings (or sculptures). If metaphysical practices were employed to produce these works then it was highly known and I suspect would be part of artistic education today. Remember that masterpieces were being produced in more than just Italy so that knowledge would have been disseminated. Perhaps some of the artist were alchemist (evidently not-an-artist physicists Newton was) but that was in addition to being masters of their craft.

I‘ve seen almost all the pieces in that video in person. I’m the guy setting off alarms by getting to close. And I somewhat disagree with their assertion that brush strokes aren’t visible. Go to a museum and look at the paintings and you will see brush strokes at least occasionally, maybe not on the Mona Lisa but you’re only allowed to get about 3 meters close so I don’t know. Mona Lisa is a masterclass which can’t be summed up quickly but youtube has some amazing breakdowns.

I have seen some pieces still with pin holes where string for perspective was used over the course of the work but there are lots of techniques for perspective.

You’ve probably already been but if not, go to Rijksmuseum there in Amsterdam. It’s great especially if you are a fan of Rembrandt.

Also, Isn’t the philosophers stone theoretically for transmutation of base metals into gold?

Thanks for your response.

As for the latter I've heard different applications.

Sorry I had to checkout once "she" brought up "forgotten advanced civilizations" ....yeah no.

I will say that Da Vinici sure as hell wasnt grinding his own pigments since that was his apprentices job.

I think I mentioned it two times to ignore the narrators regarding their interpretations. ☆

midnightAI

'its not possible to replicate these artworks because they use very specific techniques' didn't watch past that, cos.... Bullshit

Is this a stealth weird theories that don't match with reality thread? surprised you didn't bring up aliens again

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Appreciate your personal indepth response. Sincerely.

I was, as someone with no knowledge regarding painting techniques quite blown away with the xray scope, seeing all the layers and the extremely fine paint that was needed to eventually accomplish it's ultimate manifestation, in those supposed times.

Especially regarding the process to make such a fine grain anno 2023. I'm not an expert by any means hence the thread.

These very advanced techniques are also seen in old/ancient infrastructure.

I truly wanted to make this about our community that are highly skilled at painting techniques but I can't help myself seeing the correlation with certain worldwide architecture.

Your alchemist approach regarding the paint hasn't gone unnoticed. Merci.

I love Greek triptychs. The idea of small brushes painting small eyebrows in 1510AD is so fun!

What do triptycs have do with small eyebrows? As far as i know triptychs are meant to tell a story.

'its not possible to replicate these artworks because they use very specific techniques' didn't watch past that, cos.... Bullshit

Is this a stealth weird theories that don't match with reality thread? surprised you didn't bring up aliens again

Another one that didn't read my OP and instead chose to troll and be dismissive without knowing the grander context you got triggered as such you had to make it personal and shown your toddler mindset.

Go ahead and quote me talking about aliens.

Appreciate the responses.

Every day is learning day.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Again, read the OP. I wanted the opinion of professional painters mostly

With that said feel free to engage anyway ☆

Last edited:

midnightAI

Another one that didn't read my OP and instead chose to troll and be dismissive without knowing the grander context you got triggered as such you had to make it personal and shown your toddler mindset.

Go ahead and quote me talking about aliens.

Appreciate the responses.

Every day is learning day.
You know full well the aliens thread, which I think you posted many times in has been locked. Do you deny posting that you think aliens could be of this earth and are possibly may even have come from a hollow earth or ancient civilisation?

Was it not you who posted loads of videos about these crazy theories of which there is zero proof? ( a bit like this video going into wild theories also)

If it wasn't you then I apologise.

I came into this thread because I too am interested in art, I have been a digital artist for many years (started all the way back on the ZX Spectrum doing pixel art, used Deluxe Paint on the Amiga which was a revelation at the time and got involved with the demoscene, now use modern software) I am currently airbrushing artwork onto my son's mountain bike in my spare time so I am not here to just troll or attack you but that video is mostly crazy talk at the end (see I did try and watch it)

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You know full well the aliens thread, which I think you posted many times in has been locked. Do you deny posting that you think aliens could be of this earth and are possibly may even have come from a hollow earth or ancient civilisation?

Was it not you who posted loads of videos about these crazy theories of which there is zero proof? ( a bit like this video going into wild theories also)

If it wasn't you then I apologise.

I came into this thread because I too am interested in art, I have been a digital artist for many years (started all the way back on the ZX Spectrum doing pixel art, used Deluxe Paint on the Amiga which was a revelation at the time and got involved with the demoscene, now use modern software) I am currently airbrushing artwork onto my son's mountain bike in my spare time so I am not here to just troll or attack you but that video is mostly crazy talk at the end (see I did try and watch it)

Thanks for your honest and open response.

And yes I did. I have my ever changing thoughts on the matter.

But I've never pushed anyone.

Just shared my current interests at that time.

I'm impressed with your interest and work in art ♡

Your post came across derogatory hence my response.

All love ♡

Top Bottom