• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Score or Metacritic Score? Why?

Which score system do you prefer if you are looking for a game to purchase?

• Steam Score

• Metacritic Score

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Steam score. you need to own the game to review it, and most of the reviews are genuinely very honest.

And for the people who hate the one liner joke reviews: They're still genuine recommendations. You can tell because those types are also the people who've put dozens/hundreds of hours into the game. They're likely too busy playing to write a whole essay about why it's a masterpiece when the 50 hour playtime mark next to their review basically says it all...

6R6GvPu.png
E41S6Bj.png
xWHijRp.png

Bkdk

I read both before I buy most games. I would say the metacritic user score and opinions there end up closer to my final opinion of a game.
Also it’s so hard for me to put any review on steam when all they say is recommend or not recommend. All the games I played this year is around the 5-7/10 scale and it’s so hard for me to just say I completely recommend or not recommend a game. Metacritic’s 10 points scale allow me to put out much more balanced opinion and reflect my opinion much more accurately.

Last edited:

Hudo

Neither. Lmao, user scores are even worse than review scores by gaming bloggers (IGN, Polygon et al.). I just watch some gameplay and if seems interesting and good enough, I'll decide if I wait for a sale or buy it full price (I mostly wait for sales since I don't think that many games are worth full price these days)

JimboJones

A bit of both , steam reviews can be ok but you get some reviews which are like "not optimized bad port" and then they say they are gaming on an Intel Celeron from 10 years ago.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
steam reviews can be ok but you get some reviews which are like "not optimized bad port" and then they say they are gaming on an Intel Celeron from 10 years ago.
plot twist: the game looks like a SuperFX game from 1994.

even bigger plot twist: the game is actually running as intended, it's hard capped at 12 FPS to replicate the framerate many SuperFX games would run at. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:
Top Bottom