• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prison Architect |OT| We punish here as well as correct

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do you get prisoners out of being shackled? Or do you just have to wait until they eventually get around to taking them to solitary? On the next chapter with the
riot
and I'm killing off most of my inmates as they seem to stay shacked in their cells and never eat.

Taffer

how do you get prisoners out of being shackled? Or do you just have to wait until they eventually get around to taking them to solitary? On the next chapter with the
riot
and I'm killing off most of my inmates as they seem to stay shacked in their cells and never eat.

They'll stay shackled until they've been to solitary. You should have a task to build a solitary wing and start punishing prisoners once you've regained control of the prison, once they've been in for punishment they should go back to their cells and act normally.

addyb

Bought this on ps4 last night. I might be being totally thick but I have an issue on chapter 2 with the kitchen/canteen fire.

I've followed the tutorial and put the fire out and demolished the remains and now have to rebuild the canteen and kitchen but when I try and place the rooms back it pops up with a message saying that it must be built on existing foundations.

I then tried building walls round it as they were and adding the equipment needed but these aren't checked off on my to do list so it's like it doesn't recognise them as being a kitchen or canteen.

I'm obviously doing something wrong here and I'm thinking I should be doing something else after I do the initial demolish.

Anyone tell me what I should be doing lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They'll stay shackled until they've been to solitary. You should have a task to build a solitary wing and start punishing prisoners once you've regained control of the prison, once they've been in for punishment they should go back to their cells and act normally.

yeah I did but half the solitary wing was empty. I think the guards were just so preoccupied opening doors that the prisoners never got sorted. Even the new intake I requested (because I was getting negative cashflow due to all the dead prisoners) just stood on the curb until about 9pm before they started getting taken away.

Some of that was me - I was stationing guards which apparantly fixes them in location so they can't do jobs.

All a learning experience but I like this campaign as it is teaching you the ropes in a fun way.

FHIZ

Bought this on ps4 last night. I might be being totally thick but I have an issue on chapter 2 with the kitchen/canteen fire.

I've followed the tutorial and put the fire out and demolished the remains and now have to rebuild the canteen and kitchen but when I try and place the rooms back it pops up with a message saying that it must be built on existing foundations.

I then tried building walls round it as they were and adding the equipment needed but these aren't checked off on my to do list so it's like it doesn't recognise them as being a kitchen or canteen.

I'm obviously doing something wrong here and I'm thinking I should be doing something else after I do the initial demolish.

Anyone tell me what I should be doing lol

In the building section, where you're selecting walls, there should be an option in that menu page all the way to the left that's either build brick foundation or cement. Can't remember what's it's called, but basically you have to build a building foundation and then building the walls is for when you want to make individual shaped rooms inside the larger buildings.

addyb

In the building section, where you're selecting walls, there should be an option in that menu page all the way to the left that's either build brick foundation or cement. Can't remember what's it's called, but basically you have to build a building foundation and then building the walls is for when you want to make individual shaped rooms inside the larger buildings.

Thanks mate I will take a look tonight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like a way to see where all the workers are - eg zoom out on the map and hover over each category in the staff menu it should highlight current workers on the map. Several times I've had janitors or workers just stuck in a group trying to get through a jail or solitary door on this map and I'm wondering why no work is getting done because I can't easily see where they are.

Also linked to that, if there are 8 janitors all lined up trying to get through one door into a tiny room, it would seem to make sense that 7 of them should piss off somewhere else. They're pretty stupid. And if you have a very secure prison requiring guards to open many of the doors, it makes it difficult to keep places clean as you need too many guards as babysitters. And some kind of heat map that shows bottlenecks where staff/prisoners have to wait a long time before they can get through

addyb

I was talking to the missus the other day about theme hospital and how I hadn't played a game like that for ages and totally forgot about this. Glad I picked it up as it looks like it has plenty of depth.

Taffer

yeah I did but half the solitary wing was empty. I think the guards were just so preoccupied opening doors that the prisoners never got sorted. Even the new intake I requested (because I was getting negative cashflow due to all the dead prisoners) just stood on the curb until about 9pm before they started getting taken away.

Some of that was me - I was stationing guards which apparantly fixes them in location so they can't do jobs.

Sounds right - that mission starts you off with no staff and a whole bunch of jobs that need doing so when you do hire people in they're busy straight away clearing the backlog of jobs. If you check the Jobs tab of the Reports window you'll see a huge list of what everyone is doing at the moment, you have lots of cash so you can afford to hire loads of workers & guards to get the place back on its feet.
If you want to spot your workers, switch to the Utilites view and all other NPCs will be hidden so you can zoom out and see where they are.

All a learning experience but I like this campaign as it is teaching you the ropes in a fun way.

When playing the story/tutorial/campaign/whatever mode I'd recommend just focusing on the given tasks and learning what you're being shown because there's a lot of scripted stuff in those missions that may interfere with freestyle experimenting.

Decided to order this off Amazon since it's only $23.99 with Prime. Will I still get the 8 Days and a Night DLC even though I didn't preorder the game?

I read that this took inspiration from Theme Hospital. I really loved that game when I was a kid.

Coxy100

Banned
anyone know if the physical edition has limited quantities? It's out of stock on amazon UK at the moment already... (from amazon itself)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
note to self - build the entire cell block before putting the doors in. Workers constantly getting stuck waiting for a guard to let them install things in cells. Would like to be able to drag to select an area and then lock all doors open.

Can't trigger the foundation education program because it says all rooms are booked. But that should be the only course that needs a classroom - workshop safety uses the workshop, spiritual uses the chapel, kitchen hygiene uses the kitchen. There is nobody in the classroom. Building a second one to see if that helps.

Is this out of early access?

Taffer

note to self - build the entire cell block before putting the doors in. Workers constantly getting stuck waiting for a guard to let them install things in cells. Would like to be able to drag to select an area and then lock all doors open.

In the deployment view you can mark a sector as Unlocked (green) which allows all NPCs access and forces all the doors in the sector to locked open.

Can't trigger the foundation education program because it says all rooms are booked. But that should be the only course that needs a classroom - workshop safety uses the workshop, spiritual uses the chapel, kitchen hygiene uses the kitchen. There is nobody in the classroom. Building a second one to see if that helps.

Is this out of early access?

General Education and Guard Tazer Cert. will use the classroom as well if either of them are running. I prefer to set programs up manually using the Edit Schedule button (unlocked by Micromanagement) because the Start button makes weird choices sometimes and it's a lot easier to read the schedule and see conflicts there.
I only bought PA when it left early access myself, I think this thread was for the v1.0 release.

FStop7

Banned
Bought this back when it first appeared on Early Access and took a long break because of frustrations with the bugs. Picked it back up again recently and have been enjoying just going nuts w/ unlimited money.

Trump Luxury Gulag is the best prison. The most luxurious. The classiest.

calder

How does it play/run on PS4? Anyone having any issues. I have been thinking about picking it up.

It runs fine, controls pretty damn well considering and, crucially for me, the text/UI is readable on an average TV at a moderate viewing distance. The text is at the smaller end of readable for me, but that's better than a lot of PC to console ports.

So I love simulation games and want this for PS4, but can we expect updates in the way of content and patches?

Also, how deep is the sim? Is it kind of easy after a while? Is it enjoyable like the Sims or Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, etc?

I love the idea of micro managing things like finance, as well as building things.

$30 seems steep for PS4, but Im hoping it's a game I can come back to.

Saganator

So I love simulation games and want this for PS4, but can we expect updates in the way of content and patches?

Also, how deep is the sim? Is it kind of easy after a while? Is it enjoyable like the Sims or Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon, etc?

I love the idea of micro managing things like finance, as well as building things.

$30 seems steep for PS4, but Im hoping it's a game I can come back to.

Version 2.0 was released not too long ago. The game got updated to hell and back during its early access stage. In their last update video they said there won't be many updates as far as new features but they'll support the game with bug fixes.

The game isn't very deep as far as finances goes, but there are a ton of systems and it's fun getting them all to work. The fun in the game for me is to design a well oiled machine of a prison. Some people get more enjoyment from designing aesthetically pleasing prisons. It's definitely on the level of games like RTC.

Moreche

Can't recommend this on PS4 as there's things missing from the final PC release and the console DVDs seem to have no interest in updating it.
I imagine it hasn't sold enough on console. This is why indie games shouldn't be purchased at release on consoles.

The devs just posted a video saying that they broke the geneva convention with Prison Architect. Link. Beyond that they talk about some interesting things in the video, its the typical length that they normally post btw.

Top Bottom