• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner is interested in making a new game in the series.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Jordan Mechner, the original creator of Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and that movie that we won’t linger on, says he wants to make a new game in the series.

During a talk at GameLab, Barcelona, Mechner announced a book about the creation of the original Prince of Persia, three decades after it was made. The book is being published by Stripe Press and is based on journals Mechner kept when he was developing the game.

After announcing the book, an audience member mentioned how many classic games were seeing a renaissance lately and whether or not Mechner would be interested in seeing a Prince of Persia revival. Thinking the audience member was referring to a remaster, Mechner replied, “I would love to replay those old games.”

The audience member then clarified that they meant to ask if he would be interested in making a new game in the series, to which he replied, “Yes”.

dirthead

Banned
It'd need a strong gimmick like the rewind feature from SoT. You couldn't just make "another one." It needs to be something novel.

GreyHorace

I'm one of those people who really liked Prince of Persia 2008. While the combat and no dying mechanic wasn't perfect, the story was fantastic and the interplay between the Prince and Elika was great. A shame it didn't get a sequel.

Does Mechner own the rights to the IP? I thought Ubisoft owns it now. Regardless, I'd be down for Mechner making a new PoP. But sadly, I don't think any publisher would be willing to risk releasing a game with an Arab setting in today's world. A lot of anti-Islamic sentiment going around after all.

petran79

Banned
Was he involved in Sands of Time too? I think Ubi had control. His last involvement as a creator was in prince of Persia 3d that flopped

mcz117chief

I wonder if we will finally find out who that witch with the snake on her forehead is. The most intense clifhanger of my childhood.

SpiceRacz

Sands of Time is one of the best games ever made. I had no idea he was involved in it at all.

While we're on the subject of PoP, I played Prince of Persia 2 for the first time a few months ago and it's damn good. I was pleasantly surprised.

Psajdak

Banned
What other time related powers are beside rewind, fast forward, time travel, time freeze, and what else?

That being said, title of series is Prince of Persia - not Prince of Time, or something like that, it never actually had to do with time only, even though that was one of most recognizable aspects when Sands of Time revived / rebooted this IP.

Ellis

Would like for him to make a new set of levels for the original, like Romero has been doing with Doom.

Already played most of the decent mods on SDLPoP the last few years, something fresh created by the man himself would be awesome.

Movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. If it is on TV, I'm watching it all the way through.

llien

His game from 90th is a legend, but not sure what to expect from him at this point, as game industry got much more sophisticated and so are the expectations.

I love the series, mostly liked what Ubi and those French did, bar some boss fights, it felt like real 3D successor, giving you that feel from 90th.

Unless it is an epic screw up, like what they plan to do with Battletoads, will buy day one.

Don't even need any new mechanics, just up the graphics and reset the story.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
I would like to see an ultra detailed side scrolling version with depth. There's plenty of 3rd person games already. I hope follows through on the interest.

Ian Henry

Can't wait to see. Someone should do a POP: Sands Of Time style reboot for Another World. Maybe bring back Eric Cahi on board.

Last edited:

Mexen

I'm entitled because I'm a woke millennial so the new game better have a 2D mode. All games should have one now because I say so.

Seriously though, it's nice to see that there's at least some interest in a new PoP game.

Larxia

Man, I'd wish we could get a sequel to the excellent Prince of Persia 2008...
I loved that game!
It really is my favorite Prince of Persia, and I don't get why it's hated like that.
I mean I understand the controversy with the ending DLC, but it still was a really good game. I remember a lot of people complaining about "you can't die, it's too easy", but... it wasn't even about that, from what I remember you could actually get some kind of game over if you failed something too many times, and before that, well yes the girl would save you, but just like the sand of times could save you from failures a few times before actually dying in the previous games.

I also really liked that there weren't trash mobs with boring combats, the game was only about boss fights and some very rare smaller monsters, making each fight more "important" and not something super repetitive and boring.
The combats in the original trilogy were driving me crazy, especially with how you always had to finish the ennemies when they were on the ground or they would get back up again... It was so repetitive and annoying, I swear the combats in Sands of time gave me anxiety, every time that music started, ugh.

And the world was so beautiful, I don't know, I really enjoyed this game, its atmosphere, its world, the visuals, the gameplay, it was a really nice adventure, too bad it got hated for wrong reasons (other than the DLC stuff).

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
But sadly, I don't think any publisher would be willing to risk releasing a game with an Arab setting in today's world. A lot of anti-Islamic sentiment going around after all.

First up, Persians aren’t Arabs ;) Second, most people wouldn’t care that much, but it would be an absolute nightmare trying to avoid any accusations of racism or cultural appropriation.

SALMORE

I'm one of those people who really liked Prince of Persia 2008. While the combat and no dying mechanic wasn't perfect, the story was fantastic and the interplay between the Prince and Elika was great. A shame it didn't get a sequel.

Does Mechner own the rights to the IP? I thought Ubisoft owns it now. Regardless, I'd be down for Mechner making a new PoP. But sadly, I don't think any publisher would be willing to risk releasing a game with an Arab setting in today's world. A lot of anti-Islamic sentiment going around after all.

What about City of Brass ?

Hudo

I loved that game!
It really is my favorite Prince of Persia, and I don't get why it's hated like that.
I mean I understand the controversy with the ending DLC, but it still was a really good game. I remember a lot of people complaining about "you can't die, it's too easy", but... it wasn't even about that, from what I remember you could actually get some kind of game over if you failed something too many times, and before that, well yes the girl would save you, but just like the sand of times could save you from failures a few times before actually dying in the previous games.

I also really liked that there weren't trash mobs with boring combats, the game was only about boss fights and some very rare smaller monsters, making each fight more "important" and not something super repetitive and boring.
The combats in the original trilogy were driving me crazy, especially with how you always had to finish the ennemies when they were on the ground or they would get back up again... It was so repetitive and annoying, I swear the combats in Sands of time gave me anxiety, every time that music started, ugh.

And the world was so beautiful, I don't know, I really enjoyed this game, its atmosphere, its world, the visuals, the gameplay, it was a really nice adventure, too bad it got hated for wrong reasons (other than the DLC stuff).
I agree. For me, it's the closest it got to the "One Thousand and One Nights" feel. Yes, it has its flaws, like you mentioned (and I agree with!) but for me, that actually helped to get the overall feeling across even more. I see it as the "definitive" Prince of Persia, although I can see and accept when people say "Nope, it's The Sands of Time, bro" or "You weren't even alive when I was playing the REAL Prince of Persia on my Apple II".

sol740

Well, hopefully when you're the titular prince you can find points on a map, that unlock POIs within a small region around that point. Because I haven't gotten enough of that.

Last edited:
Would love a new PoP.
Sands of Time played a big role in the foundation of my relationship, and it helped get my better half into gaming.

Arun1910

I'd buy another one. I know some people didn't like the forgotten sands but I thought it was great.

It wasn't a bad game but it was just "okay". The story, voice acting, combat, length, puzzles were all seriously dumbed down from the SoT Trilogy. The best part of those games was the combat and puzzles and TFS made everything too simple.

Javthusiast

Banned
I want a new PoP in the vein of the sands of time trilogy so bad.

But I fear if they ever do it, it will be just another big open world ubisoft game again, losing all that made the games so good before.

Same fear I have for Splinter Cell.

Fbh

I'd love to the PoP make a return but as others have said, I fear whoever makes it would just turn it into an Assassins Creed style game

It'd need a strong gimmick like the rewind feature from SoT. You couldn't just make "another one." It needs to be something novel.

I don't disagree.
But in a kinda sad way a game like Sands of Time with its focus on skill based platforming would already feel pretty novel in our current industry.
I've always found the simplification of platforming in 3D games to be a shame. Now the AC formula of just holding down a button or the Naughty Dog formula where it's more about looking nice while involving no skill and basically being impossible to fail has become the norm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom