• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PREY reviews are in, critics love it

Airbus Jr

Banned
I think people that like the movie don't have problems believing a teen with few real combat experience (irrelevant if it's a boy or a girl) can defeat a Predator in melee combat.
Nobody can beat predator in 1 vs 1 melee combat...not even the finnest warrior...

Not dutch in 1987, not harrigan in 1990, and not royce in 2010...

Those are..commando soldiers..police officers...elite mercenary....

The point of predator movie is about humanity survives and has to resort to stealth, using traps, tactics, cunnings, etc..not by sheer power...and...erh im too tired to repeat this over and over again...it was several pages before...you get the point...

Last edited by a moderator:

jason10mm

Gold Member
And did those ladies face constant jibber jabber about "being in their place?"

Pick a side. Either women in Comanche society can do everything a man can do and there are no cringe scenes of men pushing the women around only to get owned in a wrestling match and get the adoration of young girls despite condemning her to starvation OR the women ARE bucking societal norms and are properly punished for it. Which is it?

Contextually, IN THE FILM, Naru was being trained to be a medicine woman. Her desire to hunt was at odds with that, and as seen IN THE FILM, she wasn't particularly good at it since she whiffed every hunt (deer, mountain lion, etc) until she invented her ninja axe toss. So if the Comanche did allow women in all roles with no issue (they had an advisor on this, right?) then the scenes of Naru bieng insulted were modern elements made to pander to modern feminist values. If the Comanche did NOT allow women in all roles (they had an advisor on this, right?) then her ability to shirk her job at will but still learn all the martial skills shows just how indulgent the men were with a woman despite her constant refusal to contribute to the tribe in the way her grandmother (presumably it was her father and mother as well) wanted for her and was necessary for the survival of the tribe, which is largely pandering to modern feminist values.

So, IN THE FILM, which was it? A true leader, one that understands the value of self-sacrifice and can deny their base impulses, would realize the worth of their medicine skills, something that might be rare in the tribe, over the desire to hunt, a skillset well represented by others and therefore not as valuable. Naru is young, maybe even supposed to be a teen/peri-puberty since that usually when adult rituals begin, but the actress is in her 20's so hard to say. Thats why I think the role was initially intended for a young male, most of the conflict is about inexperience rather than sex, the proven braves don't want her there because she hasn't completed the ritual, they never explicitly say she can't do it because she is a girl.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
J jason10mm The characters in the film don't speak English.

As for the rest of your complaints, you sound like a "woman, go collect plants like you should be doing" kind of guy, what with you not liking her aspirations. You're complaining about the entire point of the film.

Maybe avoid films in the future with women that are doing more than they "should".

His manner of discourse has really run its course. If one is so poisoned by the algorithms that they're unable to even enjoy a good action film because it features a female lead they've lost the plot. Maybe they'll wander off back to YouTube eventually until even their final heroes there fail them ;)

For those that haven't watched their review, they liked Prey and make fun of comments from people who complain that the protag is a woman (they literally read some comments from online). They also discuss the same things we have here, where the kind people who are complaining about this movie online never turn that same critical eye upon male protags (such as how some of us here kept pointing out that all action leads have plot armor).

If you then go look at their comments on YouTube some of their viewers are now complaining because RLM guys agree with the majority here (unless the people who wrote those comments have since deleted them in shame). The irony is so juicy. Watch their review. It's one of the few ones in which the RLM guys drop their typical act because it's a good movie and all of the criticism aside from the valid ones (like the CG for some animals being dodgy) are embarrassing.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
His manner of discourse has really run its course. If one is so poisoned by the algorithms that they're unable to even enjoy a good action film because it features a female lead they've lost the plot. Maybe they'll wander off back to YouTube eventually until even their final heroes there fail them ;)
Just because you guys like poorly written and acted characters because it helps you backslap each other on the interwebz doesn't mean those of us who actually care about the genre have to settle.

I've laid out how they could have written the character better, avoided some pitfalls, and with a more physical actress could have taken a good film and made it a GREAT film. If that's not the point of a discussion forum about a film, what is? Just give it a thumbs up on the hulu app and move on in that case.

Ironbunny

Just because you guys like poorly written and acted characters because it helps you backslap each other on the interwebz doesn't mean those of us who actually care about the genre have to settle.

I've laid out how they could have written the character better, avoided some pitfalls, and with a more physical actress could have taken a good film and made it a GREAT film. If that's not the point of a discussion forum about a film, what is? Just give it a thumbs up on the hulu app and move on in that case.

I would too have liked the actress and the indians more buffed too but if you look at the pictures of the old west they really were not. Yes this movie could have been better but for what it is as a streaming movie it is punching way above its weight. Go watch those AVP shites and atleat I cringe in horror compared to Prey.

QuanahParker-lg.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And did those ladies face constant jibber jabber about "being in their place?"

Pick a side. Either women in Comanche society can do everything a man can do and there are no cringe scenes of men pushing the women around only to get owned in a wrestling match and get the adoration of young girls despite condemning her to starvation OR the women ARE bucking societal norms and are properly punished for it. Which is it?

Contextually, IN THE FILM, Naru was being trained to be a medicine woman. Her desire to hunt was at odds with that, and as seen IN THE FILM, she wasn't particularly good at it since she whiffed every hunt (deer, mountain lion, etc) until she invented her ninja axe toss. So if the Comanche did allow women in all roles with no issue (they had an advisor on this, right?) then the scenes of Naru bieng insulted were modern elements made to pander to modern feminist values. If the Comanche did NOT allow women in all roles (they had an advisor on this, right?) then her ability to shirk her job at will but still learn all the martial skills shows just how indulgent the men were with a woman despite her constant refusal to contribute to the tribe in the way her grandmother (presumably it was her father and mother as well) wanted for her and was necessary for the survival of the tribe, which is largely pandering to modern feminist values.

So, IN THE FILM, which was it? A true leader, one that understands the value of self-sacrifice and can deny their base impulses, would realize the worth of their medicine skills, something that might be rare in the tribe, over the desire to hunt, a skillset well represented by others and therefore not as valuable. Naru is young, maybe even supposed to be a teen/peri-puberty since that usually when adult rituals begin, but the actress is in her 20's so hard to say. Thats why I think the role was initially intended for a young male, most of the conflict is about inexperience rather than sex, the proven braves don't want her there because she hasn't completed the ritual, they never explicitly say she can't do it because she is a girl.

Your comment I was responding to was that having a warrior woman in Native American culture was just modern feminism, and never really happened - ‘forced into a culture where it has no place’, as you put it.

I posted that link to show you this is wrong.

Chiggs

Gold Member
she didnt beat or kill a bunch of white male

I'm not screaming "WOKE!" here, but the comment you just posted is definitely not true. She whooped those French Trappers, who were made out to be cartoonishly stupid (despite being totally aware of the Predator and briefly capturing him).

jason10mm

Gold Member
Your comment I was responding to was that having a warrior woman in Native American culture was just modern feminism, and never really happened - ‘forced into a culture where it has no place’, as you put it.

I posted that link to show you this is wrong.
Really? YOU are the one obsessed with fixed gender roles and finding extremely unique "exceptions to prove my point". My point was that the CONFLICT between her desire to be a hunter and the braves resistance to it is a modern feminist concept being pushed where it doesn't belong.

A person back then, especially in a very small tribe, had a job and did it, there was ZERO tolerance for deviation because the margins for survival were basically nill. So ether she cut it as a hunter and would be allowed to bring home food or she didn't, and lazing about playing in the woods instead of gathering food MEANT SOMEONE STARVED TO DEATH.

So for Prey they should have portrayed a society where she was a young hunter not quite able to make the cut yet (the first half of the film seems to follow this model) who rises to the challenge and overcomes whatever obstacle she faces. Problem is the obstacle she faces ARE HER OWN PEOPLE because apparently, she is AMAZING at most forms of combat and can hunt/track with the best of them if just given a chance (and the right weapon). This conflict is the modern one imposed on the story. Rather than an internal conflict, say for example she was recently widowed with 2 kids (extremely plausible for a 20ish year old then) and struggled with assuming her husbands role as a hunter versus staying in the village to help with the kids, then the predator comes and she can either A. go out and meet it or B. stay in the village and hope it passes by. THAT is a conflict worthy of character growth and development. Her pride and warrior spirit versus protective motherhood and her duty to the tribe as one of their only sources of healing and wisdom.

Instead she was always good, the other guys are jealous(?), and she just needed a wee bit o'confidence and some string to assume her final form on the battlefield. A good story, yes, if a bit played out these days, but not a GREAT one. She isn't at the level of a Ripley, Sarah Connor, Wonder Woman, or Furiosa. She is just another semi-imitation like Kate, Jolt, Gunpowder Milkshake, etc. Her brother has a better arc of pride, some humility, finally self-sacrifice and a warriors death.

The physicality of the actress is also an issue. Easily overlooked since the talent pool for a native actress is probably counted on one hand. 10-15 years ago this would have been Moon Bloodgood's role, 25 years ago they probably would have cast Tia Carrera and damn the naysayers. Now I probably would have gotten the wife from Yellowstone as at least she has a better acting range. My fan choice would have been Odette Annable just based off her AMAZING fight scene in Banshee. Imagine that plus 4 months of modern PED....err, conditioning for Prey:p

sol_bad

The physicality of the actress is also an issue. Easily overlooked since the talent pool for a native actress is probably counted on one hand. 10-15 years ago this would have been Moon Bloodgood's role, 25 years ago they probably would have cast Tia Carrera and damn the naysayers. Now I probably would have gotten the wife from Yellowstone as at least she has a better acting range. My fan choice would have been Odette Annable just based off her AMAZING fight scene in Banshee. Imagine that plus 4 months of modern PED....err, conditioning for Prey:p

This fight scene is even less believable than the melee fight in Prey. A quick 59 second fight is more believable than a 4 minute fight.
And if you think Odette Annable did the majority of fighting in that scene you are kidding yourself. There are a lot of edits and camera tricks to hide the stunt double. An example is at 1:31, as the camera goes behind the guy, it's edited to swap in the stunt double.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Really? YOU are the one obsessed with fixed gender roles and finding extremely unique "exceptions to prove my point". My point was that the CONFLICT between her desire to be a hunter and the braves resistance to it is a modern feminist concept being pushed where it doesn't belong.

A person back then, especially in a very small tribe, had a job and did it, there was ZERO tolerance for deviation because the margins for survival were basically nill. So ether she cut it as a hunter and would be allowed to bring home food or she didn't, and lazing about playing in the woods instead of gathering food MEANT SOMEONE STARVED TO DEATH.

So for Prey they should have portrayed a society where she was a young hunter not quite able to make the cut yet (the first half of the film seems to follow this model) who rises to the challenge and overcomes whatever obstacle she faces. Problem is the obstacle she faces ARE HER OWN PEOPLE because apparently, she is AMAZING at most forms of combat and can hunt/track with the best of them if just given a chance (and the right weapon). This conflict is the modern one imposed on the story. Rather than an internal conflict, say for example she was recently widowed with 2 kids (extremely plausible for a 20ish year old then) and struggled with assuming her husbands role as a hunter versus staying in the village to help with the kids, then the predator comes and she can either A. go out and meet it or B. stay in the village and hope it passes by. THAT is a conflict worthy of character growth and development. Her pride and warrior spirit versus protective motherhood and her duty to the tribe as one of their only sources of healing and wisdom.

Instead she was always good, the other guys are jealous(?), and she just needed a wee bit o'confidence and some string to assume her final form on the battlefield. A good story, yes, if a bit played out these days, but not a GREAT one. She isn't at the level of a Ripley, Sarah Connor, Wonder Woman, or Furiosa. She is just another semi-imitation like Kate, Jolt, Gunpowder Milkshake, etc. Her brother has a better arc of pride, some humility, finally self-sacrifice and a warriors death.

Umm no to the fight scene you posted.

A REAL fight by a skilled Martial artist (and yes, there were Native martial styles) would fight like Naru did. Using what your advantages are and compensate where you are weakest. She used her momentum, center of gravity, legs and weapons to do what she did. An ACTUAL fight would and could work like that. And she used economy of motion (quick close attacks) to compensate for speed (as explained by Bruce Lee). Look at it again, she used her momentum and center of gravity to put weight into the fight. She never uses her fists in that scene because of the danger of an arm getting caught by one of the opponents.

And also notice that she fights them, quickly, one on one.

For a woman, especially not in great height or strength, she did VERY well! it reminded me of Krav Maga.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Whoever delete people post here youre making this place into resetera where only one echo chamber voices are heard

Cant or too afraid to interact with users? Youre not the one who govern or police peoples opinion, if you want to correct someone then reply not stealth delete

I thought this places are better, what happened to the moderation

Last edited:

Hoddi

I watched it last night and I thought it was alright. People were calling it the best since the original but I only thought it was a 6 at best.

The thing that bothered me most was that they kept trying those throwbacks trying to validate it against the original. 'If it bleeds, we can kill it' and all of that. But all of the things that made the original so charming were completely missing from this picture. Like Shane Black's jokes about his girlfriend's vagina or how chew tobacco makes you manly. They were trying to keep it safe while the original didn't worry about those things.

It still had a lot of plus points during the fight sequences. But it was mostly forgettable to me.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I think I know why I don't like it as much as the original, well one of the reasons.

In the 80s version, the group of men are shown to be this unbeatable force, but then get reduced to fearful boys (they even spell it out, that they are afraid), making the Predator be a real big thread. "No way Dutch can do anything against this beast".

In Prey, the only worthwhile protagonist is shown to be weak at the beginning and gets better and stronger scene by scene... while the Predator is getting weaker and weaker.
First he kills a fucking bear with his fists , then gets hurt fighting two Indians, gets clowned by the Frech, has to leave a gadget and runs away like a little bitch to win the fight etc.

The dynamic between the two is getting less and less engaging the further along the movie goes...

sinnergy

I think I know why I don't like it as much as the original, well one of the reasons.

In the 80s version, the group of men are shown to be this unbeatable force, but then get reduced to fearful boys (they even spell it out, that they are afraid), making the Predator be a real big thread. "No way Dutch can do anything against this beast".

In Prey, the only worthwhile protagonist is shown to be weak at the beginning and gets better and stronger scene by scene... while the Predator is getting weaker and weaker.
First he kills a fucking bear with his fists , then gets hurt fighting two Indians, gets clowned by the Frech, has to leave a gadget and runs away like a little bitch to win the fight etc.

The dynamic between the two is getting less and less engaging the further along the movie goes...
Its bad , it’s right in line after every predator movie after the first 2.

ZywyPL

Banned
It's a very good movie, especially considering how much junk there is nowadays. It's actually one of the better movies I saw in, I don't know, 2-3 years? Of course, it's nowhere near the masterpieces like Dune, The Batman or Maverick, but like I said, in the ocean of constant mediocrity/trash, it was pretty damn good.

It actually reminded me a ton of The Northman, the same slow-paced action with tribal drums in the background that preparess the viewer for the inevitable final fight, but without being so weird.

And coincidentally there was the latest Predator movie on TV two weeks ago, the one with Olivia Munn and those silly oversized Predator masks, now that was terrible.

Overall I'd give Prey 8/10, I really enjoyed every minute of it.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Saw it yesterday, couldn’t make it till the end. Boring ass slog which is incredibly strange since the movie is only 100 minutes long. That much padding just to get to 100 minutes, damn.

Quit 30 minutes before the end and almost nothing happened till that time. There was no tension, no running away from the predator, no predator chasing. The whole thing with the bear was hilariously done.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This fight scene is even less believable than the melee fight in Prey. A quick 59 second fight is more believable than a 4 minute fight.
And if you think Odette Annable did the majority of fighting in that scene you are kidding yourself. There are a lot of edits and camera tricks to hide the stunt double. An example is at 1:31, as the camera goes behind the guy, it's edited to swap in the stunt double.
Do you think Midthunder did most of her stunts? Where are the goalposts again?

VN1X

Banned

For those that haven't watched their review, they liked Prey and make fun of comments from people who complain that the protag is a woman (they literally read some comments from online). They also discuss the same things we have here, where the kind people who are complaining about this movie online never turn that same critical eye upon male protags (such as how some of us here kept pointing out that all action leads have plot armor).

If you then go look at their comments on YouTube some of their viewers are now complaining because RLM guys agree with the majority here (unless the people who wrote those comments have since deleted them in shame). The irony is so juicy. Watch their review. It's one of the few ones in which the RLM guys drop their typical act because it's a good movie and all of the criticism aside from the valid ones (like the CG for some animals being dodgy) are embarrassing.

I mean it's kind of bizarre that instead of propping up the movie on its own merrits (of which there aren't many) they instead opt to focus on the negative (cherry picked) reviews and then sweep it all under the same rug.

One of the first vids from RLM which I just skipped halfway through. Not because I agree with the "this movie is woke" sentiment (it's far less egregious in that respect compared to many other flicks these days) but because of the issue I stated earlier. I don't care for online reviews or how some people on the internet think it's this that or the other thing. Just explore what YOU think is good or bad about it and fuck everything else.

Ulysses 31

I mean it's kind of bizarre that instead of propping up the movie on its own merrits (of which there aren't many) they instead opt to focus on the negative (cherry picked) reviews and then sweep it all under the same rug.

One of the first vids from RLM which I just skipped halfway through. Not because I agree with the "this movie is woke" sentiment (it's far less egregious in that respect compared to many other flicks these days) but because of the issue I stated earlier. I don't care for online reviews or how some people on the internet think it's this that or the other thing. Just explore what YOU think is good or bad about it and fuck everything else.
Yeah, definitely one of their weaker videos, was expecting more highlights of the strengths and weaknesses of the movie and more comparisons other other Predator movies instead of what others viewers might think/be.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, definitely one of their weaker videos, was expecting more highlights of the strengths and weaknesses of the movie and more comparisons other other Predator movies instead of what others viewers might think/be.

I get the distinct impression the RLM guys have just lost all interest in the glut of streaming content we’re bombarded with these days. But they still have to produce content themselves, so this is what we get.

I get the distinct impression the RLM guys have just lost all interest in the glut of streaming content we’re bombarded with these days. But they still have to produce content themselves, so this is what we get.
This. When it comes to streaming content they seem somewhat defeated and have even admitted in several videos that they just don't care anymore or that the bar is so low now they just want something watchable.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This. When it comes to streaming content they seem somewhat defeated and have even admitted in several videos that they just don't care anymore or that the bar is so low now they just want something watchable.

I'm pretty much in the same place. Nothing is special anymore. Nothing is an 'event'. We've entered a period where it's just a constant churn of show after show, movie after movie, all designed to just pull in more subscribers, and fill a digital shelf. I'm going back more and more to books and Audible stuff, because there's much more creativity and vitality in them than live action TV and movies these days.

Alex11

Very nicely put, and also the contrast of the ending of both movies.

On one, you see Dutch broken, tired and thinking how the hell a thing like that exists, and on the other, Naru just casually walking with the head in hand, like it was no biggie.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Alright look, we all agree Amber is hot as fuck. So imagine the sequel is the Preds inviting her onto otherworld hunts? We could even see a xenomorph scene.

Would also explain how the pistol gets into the Preds’ hands.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Just watched Predator 2 again for the shits and giggles.

Fuck a duck, it has the absolute worst dialogue ever in a movie 😂

Good action sequences though.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Do you think Midthunder did most of her stunts? Where are the goalposts again?

I'm not moving any goal posts and I wasn't claiming that Midthunder was doing all of her own stunts in Prey.
But you said you would have chosen Odette Annable due to "her" AMAZING fight scene, I'm just pointing out that she isn't doing the majority of the fight though.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm not moving any goal posts and I wasn't claiming that Midthunder was doing all of her own stunts in Prey.
But you said you would have chosen Odette Annable due to "her" AMAZING fight scene, I'm just pointing out that she isn't doing the majority of the fight though.
9VcwHef.jpg

Go watch Banshee and see how she does. She, as an actress, sells that she could do that fight scene, even if, like virtually all other actors ever, she uses a stuntperson. Amber Midthunder does NOT, IMHO, sell that she is A. an accomplished hunter and warrior or B. that she is really experiencing anything that the character does in the film. I found her performance to be very flat and unengaging and she didn't make up for a Sam Worthington level performance with a physicality that could at least could help sell the role (like, say Gina Careno or Elsa Pataky, not great actresses but VERY physical performers).

If they could have stretched it to get Frankie Adams (Bobbi Draper from The Expanse) in there, now THAT would have been an Arnie level powerhouse performance!

Oh hell, now I wanna see the most UNFORTUNATE Predator EVER get dropped right into the middle of the Classic period of Maori civilization and get stuck fighting goliath Maori warriors and big ass Haast eagles and Moa.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Very nicely put, and also the contrast of the ending of both movies.

On one, you see Dutch broken, tired and thinking how the hell a thing like that exists, and on the other, Naru just casually walking with the head in hand, like it was no biggie.
Also. That the og Predator set his bomb off to delete evidence of his existence, so his tech can’t be replicated etc makes it also more dramatic as no one is going to believe Dutch what happened. And all the shit that comes with this situation.

In prey … well we already established that the Predator was not the smartest.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I'm still kind of stuck thinking of that quick cut where Naru pulls off a cartwheel against a tree trunk (?) while the Predator jumps from branch to branch to catch up with her. Initially that was one of the two parts I was lost during that fight. I couldn't tell if that was her or the Predator -- though I guess the Predator made even less sense.

I don’t like predator movie and I watch it on Disney plus Japan, had no idea what’s about (boring day)

Well, that was a good movie , made me hold my pee on my own home .

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

This was good but nothing amazing really. I think people are just suprised it wasn't absolute shite.

It's kinda like the first Sonic movie. Grading on a curve.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
About Naru running... She is running in tall grass... So it's not going to be graceful ... A tribe member is running behind her and is running like she is ... Both at full speed.

This shot was so cool, I kinda wish it was the first reveal of the Pred:

Amber Midthunder Predator GIF by 20th Century Studios

I feel like a proper edit could really elevate this movie. Clean up the horrible CGI, tighten up the final showdown....I think this could easily become an 8/10 if you toned down some of the glaring flaws.

Other than the first 40 minutes feeling kinda boring, the 2nd half of the movie is filled with satisfying Predator action.
I'd imagine if this is your first exposure to the Predator franchise you will have a much more positive experience with it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Other than the first 40 minutes feeling kinda boring, the 2nd half of the movie is filled with satisfying Predator action.
I'd imagine if this is your first exposure to the Predator franchise you will have a much more positive experience with it.

Just imagine how awesome the French trapper action could have been had they gotten Daniel Day Lewis' Hawkeye to show them how to reload while on the run!

At 6:12 or so if the timestamp doesn't work

Damn, now I wanna watch Last of the Mohicans again.....

Last edited:

Alex11

Also. That the og Predator set his bomb off to delete evidence of his existence, so his tech can’t be replicated etc makes it also more dramatic as no one is going to believe Dutch what happened. And all the shit that comes with this situation.

In prey … well we already established that the Predator was not the smartest.
Oh yeah, forgot about that, man that movie was just something else, wasn`t it? I watched it before to get me in the "Predator" mood, and also enjoyed that cat and mouse chase at the end, it was toying with Dutch.

Yeah the Pred in Prey was a bit dumb as bricks at times, which is a shame, because I liked the tone of the movie, some great camera angles, and the cinematography was very nice.

Kimahri

Banned
It was entertaining.

Would have been way better if they didn't spend half the movie defending how inept she is by demonstrating how everyone else is a dumb ahole for not listening to her because she's a girl.

Is it so hard to tell a story about some girl or woman who's good at shit without getting sexist bs thrown in her face?

My naive self would think that'd be far more empowering for girls.

Top Bottom