• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prejudice around height and it's seeming acceptance among society.

Guess I am. Now, if you trying to get into some deeper sociopolitical shit..

tenor.gif

I'm talking in general..

Nothing sociopolitical about it.

It's just true.

Not when you're pudgy. Then it's about the same.

Yeah, but then it has nothing to do with being bald and everything to do with being pudgy. LOL

Height discrimination does exist.

I'm 5'8" and have been given a hard time by my buddies most of my life. I just laugh it off, not a big deal but this type of discrimination does exist.

My wife is 5'6" and she doesn't care either way so it's all good. Stay strong my short brothers and sisters.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We all understand the issues with heightism IE tall people are more selected for jobs or dating. If someone made a thread about how he was disqualified for a position because of his height people would be more sympathetic. These threads generally are more situated in the dating area. It's not wrong to vent dating frustrations because you feel you were discriminated against. Most people can understand and discuss why that's wrong. It's when you start feeling entitled to conversations, dates, etc that you get ribbed on. There's always this slant in these height conversations that puts the blame on this man's failure on the woman. People notice this. It's a lot like the nice guy act.

Short men feeling entitled to conversations and dates? I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

But trust me. I get the 'dudes clowning on dudes' angle. It's basically a full-time job for some.
But I also understand that being born short can weigh on a man heavier than most people can imagine. For that reason alone I err on the side of caution. To you it's just jokes, to them it can be the thing that ruins their entire day and makes them feel terrible about themselves.

And when you yourself reference the fact that they get a shit hand in the job market or dating scene, then why can't there be a serious conversation around it?
Even if it's just to vent, why not let these people vent instead of rubbing it in their faces?

It depends on your face, but you do run the risk of looking like uncle fester if you are white, overweight, and sporting a shaved head.

I don't think black guys have that issue.

Damn, you're right. Between uncle Fester and uncle Phil I def choose the latter.

But why can't there be a conversation on the subject without the clowning?

I'm honestly not affected personally, but I usually err on the side of empathy with these things.
There are people that are completely preoccupied with their perceived inadequacies in terms of height. It sucks.
Because joking about something is a lot more entertaining and cathartic than trying to solve such a benign problem. The people who feel bad about it would get much better results just acknowledging their problem and laughing about it than they do throwing their own pity party.

Height and weight jokes are both kinda shitty

But I'm guilty of making and laughing at both

See Chris Christie threads or ones on short guys who strength

Hoo-doo

Banned
Because joking about something is a lot more entertaining and cathartic than trying to solve such a benign problem. The people who feel bad about it would get much better results just acknowledging their problem and laughing about it than they do throwing their own pity party.

How would you know how 'benign' a problem it is? Because you're 5'7?
Some people would kill for that height.

Height discrimination does exist.

I'm 5'8" and have been given a hard time by my buddies most of my life. I just laugh it off, not a big deal but this type of discrimination does exist.

My wife is 5'6" and she doesn't care either way so it's all good. Stay strong my short brothers and sisters.

And I think that's what it all boils down to. We can all learn from this, really. In some circles, short = thing. Black = thing. French = thing. These are silly presumptions that made more sense before the internet. Be fucking proud of who you are..why take shit from anyone because you're fun sized?

Guys seem way more preoccupied about this than any women I know, but studies have suggested it can play a part in earnings, I guess. I never really thought about when dating, either, but I'm told my perception is kind of off there. I used to think I was of similar height with my male coworkers and they made me stand next to them to put me straight. Even then my brain insisted I was close (I'm barely scraping 5' 4", they were 6' or up).

D i Z

And I think that's what it all boils down to. We can all learn from this, really. In some circles, short = thing. Black = thing. French = thing. These are silly presumptions that made more sense before the internet. Be fucking proud of who you are..why take shit from anyone because you're fun sized?

I'm saying tho. Where the tall women at!!???

The irony is, at least from experience, is in general I think women settle far more in the physical looks department with men, than men do with women.

Pau

Insulting people is one thing, but as far as dating and careers, it sounds like it's equivalent to (and part of) being born with unattractive traits in general.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The irony is, at least from experience, is in general I think women settle far more in the physical looks department with men, than men do with women.

Nah. The hottest woman I've ever seen is my graphic design teacher's wife. She's a redhead model with tattoos, and piercings. You look at her, and you feel physical pain. Her eyes are beyond beautiful. That's how she is. He's below 5 feet tall, has bad teeth and no hair.

Love is love. I understood that when I saw them. They had a daughter recently,

I’m 6’5”. I never had any clue heightism was a thing. I support the rights of everyone and love everyone equally.

But if one of those filthy shortos tries to take my job changing lightbulbs and getting cereal boxes off upper shelves for old ladies at the supermarket, there’ll be hell to pay.

I don't see how personal preference for who you are attracted to is prejudice. Are you saying people should somehow force themselves to like shorter guys if they just simply don't?

I say this as a 5'7" guy too.

There are plenty of people who don't care about height. Try to meet those people.

Nah. The hottest woman I've ever seen is my graphic design teacher's wife. She's a redhead model with tattoos, and piercings. You look at her, and you feel physical pain. Her eyes are beyond beautiful. That's how how she is. He's below 5 feet tall, has bad teeth and no hair.

Your statement reinforces what i just said. LOL

How would you know how 'benign' a problem it is? Because you're 5'7?
Some people would kill for that height.
Because I've been mocked for it all my life. The short jokes don't get worse the shorter you get unless you get to the point of dwarfism. The people who are 5'4 are catching the same jokes I am.

Any short person who would kill to my height is an idiot, because they're going to get mocked in the same way they're already getting mocked.

The biggest benefit they're going to get is that they might be able to reach one shelf higher than they already can.

D i Z

Nah. The hottest woman I've ever seen is my graphic design teacher's wife. She's a redhead model with tattoos, and piercings. You look at her, and you feel physical pain. Her eyes are beyond beautiful. That's how she is. He's below 5 feet tall, has bad teeth and no hair.

One example. Culturally, especially before the age of approaching equality this most certainly was a normal thing were women were settling across the board.

For sure..

Why is that so hard to believe? The only things that seem to come up with any regularity are education, sense of humor, cooking skills. Out of the last 3 guys I dated before settling down, only one was 6'+. The others were 5'5" (I only know bc he kept fretting about it), one was 5'7"ish?, and my husband is maybe 5'9".

I'm not sure I see height as offensive as making fun of body weight.

Overweight people are far more often at the end of some pretty nasty jokes.

Height prejudice seems like a pretty slippery slope that can lead to some red pill sounding bs retaliation. I also think you will be judged less harshly for being short than being fat.

I'm not sure I see height as offensive as making fun of body weight.

Overweight people are far more often at the end of some pretty nasty jokes.

Height prejudice seems like a pretty slippery slope that can lead to some red pill sounding bs retaliation. I also think you will be judged less harshly for being short than being fat.
Yes some people see fat-shaming as a slippery slope (I do not), but it's a fact there's nothing that can be done about height and there is something that can be done about weight. Simple as that.

Short men feeling entitled to conversations and dates? I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

From just skimming the thread:
Having physical dating preferences is fine. If someone is going to be so rigid with what they want out of a partner, they're likely going to miss out on some great people, but it's up to them. This, though, is not fine:

Nah, height is a deal breaker for many unfortunately. My mom probably would never date someone shorter than her in heels. She's been very vocal about it lol. She just doesn't find shorter men attactive.

irl? yes. But online dating, you're better off bumping yourself up to 6'.

o6snO1v.jpg

heightist women actually began the "when his height starts with 5"

But trust me. I get the 'dudes clowning on dudes' angle. It's basically a full-time job for some.
But I also understand that being born short can weigh on a man heavier than most people can imagine. For that reason alone I err on the side of caution. To you it's just jokes, to them it can be the thing that ruins their entire day and makes them feel terrible about themselves.

And when you yourself reference the fact that they get a shit hand in the job market or dating scene, then why can't there be a serious conversation around it?
Even if it's just to vent, why not let these people vent instead of rubbing it in their faces?

There can be a serious conversation about this but usually the conversation is slanted so women are in the wrong. Dating and height is a minefield of problems because almost all the time it is just whining about nice guy stuff.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Because I've been mocked for it all my life. The short jokes don't get worse the shorter you get unless you get to the point of dwarfism. The people who are 5'4 are catching the same jokes I am.

I don't think this is true at all. The shorter you are, the more shit you'll get both socially and professionally.

Guys seem way more preoccupied about this than any women I know, but studies have suggested it can play a part in earnings, I guess. I never really thought about when dating, either, but I'm told my perception is kind of off there. I used to think I was of similar height with my male coworkers and they made me stand next to them to put me straight. Even then my brain insisted I was close (I'm barely scraping 5' 4", they were 6' or up).

percentage wise your brain isn't wrong. If a guy is 6'0, and you are 5'6", you are only 9% shorter than he is. But it seems like a lot more than 9% to most people

Why is that so hard to believe? The only things that seem to come up with any regularity are education, sense of humor, cooking skills. Out of the last 3 guys I dated before settling down, only one was 6'+. The others were 5'5" (I only know bc he kept fretting about it), one was 5'7"ish?, and my husband is maybe 5'9".

About the 5'5" guy I feel like this is the problem more than anything. The confidence issue and self-bashing. Every girl I've ever been out with I've told I couldn't care less how high of heels they wore if asked.

They should wear what they like and what they feel good in. I've noticed women will often ask because they are sensitive to the man's pride and (lack of) self-confidence. I know some men (and women) feel like a man's pride will be hurt if the woman they are with is taller but that's actually insecurity.

Yes some people see fat-shaming as a slippery slope (I do not), but it's a fact there's nothing that can be done about height and there is something that can be done about weight. Simple as that.
I don't think this logic absolves one over the other.

Losing weight can be incredible hard and be linked to mental health issues and all sorts of other factors including income and enviornment.

I don't get how this distinction always has to be made because I don't think it makes height jokes worse than fat jokes.

Height jokes are far less hateful and the bullying isn't anywhere as bad as overweight jokes thrown around.

AoM

I don't think this logic absolves one over the other.

Losing weight can be incredible hard and be linked to mental health issues and all sorts of other factors including income and enviornment.

I don't get how this distinction always has to be made because I don't think it makes height jokes worse than fat jokes.

Height jokes are far less hateful and the bullying isn't anywhere as bad as overweight jokes thrown around.

Incredibly hard, but actually possible.

The shorter you are, the more you deviate from the norm.

You being 5'7 would almost blend in as average. Try that as a 5'1 guy.
Well you're basing that thought on absolutely nothing as well. You absolutely do not almost blend in as average at my height. Most people probably couldn't even tell you what the average height of a male in America is. They just see people they reguard as short and make the same jokes.

I'm saying tho. Where the tall women at!!???

lol..Remind me to tell you a story.

And there it is. Is tall ok? Sure, why not. It's about a whole lot more than that. Confidence makes the smallest person into giants..or so according to the women I know.

Incredibly hard, but actually possible.
True but regardless I still don't see being short as hateful as being overweight.

It seems like this insecurity and issue is overblown cause it is far worse being overweight and the amount of ridicule that comes with it.

percentage wise your brain isn't wrong. If a guy is 6'0, and you are 5'6", you are only 9% shorter than he is. But it seems like a lot more than 9% to most people

Well, being 5'4" I was a tad off, but I swear I never felt shorter than anyone until they made a point of standing next to me and pulling out a ruler.

About the 5'5" guy I feel like this is the problem more than anything. The confidence issue and self-bashing. Every girl I've ever been out with I've told I couldn't care less how high of heels they wore if asked.

They should wear what they like and what they feel good in. I've noticed women will often ask because they are sensitive to the man's pride and (lack of) self-confidence. I know some men (and women) feel like a man's pride will be hurt if the woman they are with is taller but that's actually insecurity.

Yeah it does, unfortunately, tend to project insecurity pretty badly. He never asked me not to wear heels or anything, but after a few too many self-deprecating jokes about his height, I made a point to only wear flats because I knew he'd be stressing otherwise. Shame.

cordy

Banned
The shorter you are, the more you deviate from the norm.

You being 5'7 would almost blend in as average. Try that as a 5'1 guy.

Reminds me of something Kendrick said in an interview I heard recently when they talked about his height. He was boasting but he said short people had more character, more dignity, more pride and more handsome than anybody else.

He then started laughing and said "sounds like I'm distraught right?" lol.

It also makes me think of all the rappers that standout. They either were "different" from the rest whether in looks or personality or characters, shit even 2 Chainz with his tall ass height. Everybody's got something.

13ruce

Banned
I never had people make fun of my height i am male and tom cruise height (slightly taller than him a few cm) in the freaking netherlands where everyone else is a gaint male wise. I do look pretty good looks wise tho so that does help alot and alot of women here are luckily the same height as me or a few cm shorter on average. So i never had a problem with that so far.

I however hate that i am 22 and look 16 when i go out i attract 16-17 year old girls and it's quite annoying at times lol.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Height is a lot like penis size: it's not about how big you are, it's about how you use it.
If everyone walked around naked, the guys with tiny penises (to the point where they probably could not penetrate) would certainly be ignored.

People can be disregarded immediately for their height, because it is obvious to everyone.

Top Bottom