• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction: I think COVID-19 will delay the PS5.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
That's not completely off base.

I think the dead silence from Sony at the end of February in the year where they are supposed to launch the new system is weird.

That said i don't know if Sony can afford it, everything was set to launch the console and PS4 sales are slowing down considerably even compared to PS3 and PS2.

My prediction is that Microsoft will launch Series X regardless, while Sony will launch PS5 but only in selected markets first like US and 3-4 European countries, while the others in 2021.

93xfan

Banned
You can't delay something that's already delayed ;)

C4fLHRqUEAUlC3r.jpg
Tell Nintendo that in regards to just about any Zelda game.

LordOfChaos

I don't really mind if there's a little more time to it and it takes the opportunity to get a little bit better. 6 years into the generation we won't remember a little delay at all.

chinoXL

not sure if anyone brought it up, but Sony AND MSFT are using the same components, why is it only Sony that has a potential delay? i think all major electronics releases this year are at risk...this virus sux!!

Blond

Banned
I don't really mind if there's a little more time to it and it takes the opportunity to get a little bit better. 6 years into the generation we won't remember a little delay at all.

Not to mention it's clear that with the move to what is basically proprietary PC's that the idea of console generations are over, just big upgrades when the time comes. Plus again, it's not like these consoles are looking horrible or performing worse like previous generations when it was clear they were tapped out.

kretos

Banned
Doesn't matter, the virus will wipe us all out

i hope Ghost of Tsushima release early so i can play it before i die

No, it won't. If it would be around long enough to have an impact, that would mean it can't be stopped. At which point you would have to deal with that fact and can't just keep everything closed or isolated.
I think at this point pandemic is inevitable, it's spreading like wildfire and could already be in many of our communities and, thanks to the long incubation period, we wouldn't even know it. That being said you're correct. Once a disease gets to the point that it *cannot* be contained the focus becomes not allowing it to interrupt societal function as much as possible. That means not shutting everything down just because one guy came down with COVID-19. Businesses can and will function with large percentages of their staff off sick. It'll kill a lot of people but for everyone else life will go on.

Dlacy13g

I don't forsee a delay but I do foresee potential shortages as total units at launch will likely be impacted if the China shutdowns continue into June timing.

prag16

Banned
It's pretty shameless how Microsoft is not even concerned at all about the COVID-19 and just streamrolling their marketing rollout the way they are.
... What are they supposed to do, cease operations in deference to a foreign disease outbreak that hasn't yet had much impact on the U.S.?

This is probably being overblown, and will fizzle out by summer. Sure supply chains and manufacturing could be disrupted to the point where there is an impact on console releases, but that remains to be seen.

Jigga117

Assuming PS5 is weaker - which I still doubt - I'm sure they have multiple potential designs. It wouldn't take long to surpass the Series X if they wanted to delay their launch to do so and release in 2021.

So it is that simple they skip testing and then launch with supposed new specs but then come out with their own version of 360 RROD. ........Sure :messenger_ok:

Last edited:
Microsoft don't need to worry about a delayed Launch in Japan because no one there buys Xboxes.

More likely to catch the Virus at the Launch events when thousands of Infected people buy a PS5/XSX and give it to shut in gamers.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I would of thought Xbox would be effected just as much, they probably use the same suppliers for some parts.

The corona virus is extremely contagious and I don't doubt it could delay the launch of these consoles if it gets as bad in other Asian countries as it is in Wuhan.

The console war has already been decided. The Series X will be 60 pounds of American forged steel, unlike the PS5, designed and built in the Godless heathen Orient. This pretty much guarantees that whoever buys Sonys wretched box will get a healthy dose of bat soup virus.

Buy the Series X or COMMUNISM WILL HAVE ALREADY WON.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wow, that's the first time I hear of corona virus potentially having an effect on electronics product releases and availability, it's not like there already are confirmed cases for things like existing products like Switch, Valve Index, etc., I nominate OP for the nobel prize for out of the box thinking.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Companies will do anything to release a new product, if they have to move manufacturing to a different country they will.
Nothing will stop a SONY/MS from releasing new consoles when money is involved.

McCheese

I hear Mark Cerny already developed a cure, and their factories in Taiwan and Singapore are churning out the day one "Knack 3" bundles as we speak.

Joe T.

Tim Cook sounded optimistic today so I'm not sure Sony and MS have much to worry about, maybe a delay of a few weeks or temporary supply shortages at worst. From AppleInsider:

"It feels to me that China is getting the Coronavirus under control. You look at the numbers coming down day by day by day so I'm very optimistic there —on the suppliers side, we have suppliers - you know, iPhone is built everywhere in the world, we have key components coming from United States we have parts coming from China, so on and so forth," Cook said in an excerpt of the full interview. "When you look at the parts that are done in China, we have reopened factories so the factories are working through the conditions to open, they're reopening. They're also in ramp. So I sort of I think of this as the third phase in getting back to normal, and we're in phase three of the ramp mode."

magnumpy

I don't know anything, but obviously production is not set to start yet for months. like ~6 months or more. a lot can happen in that amount of time, just calm down chicken little the sky has not fell down yet :(

Shifty1897

I could see it going either way. Either they release in extreme limited supply and make it a coveted item, or they delay to spring.

Top Bottom