• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-Crime monitoring has started in a city of Florida

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It starts like an offer of admission from a prestigious university.

“We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected…” it says.

But the four-page letter from the Pasco Sheriff’s Office goes on to tell recipients they will be facing enhanced police scrutiny under the agency’s controversial intelligence program.

“You may wonder why you were enrolled in this program,” the letter continues. “You were selected as a result of an evaluation of your recent criminal behavior using an unbiased, evidence-based risk assessment designed to identify prolific offenders in our community. As a result of this designation, we will go to great efforts to encourage change in your life through enhanced support and increased accountability.”

1200x0.jpg

Mistake

Can you get a restraining order against the police? Because that should certainly be grounds for it. Showing up to private property unannounced, crazy

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Winter John

Gold Member
"Deputies showed up at homes at all hours of the day and night, writing tickets for violations like overgrown grass and making arrests for any reason they could find."

It's pretty obvious they're trying to harrass people they don't like out of town.

America, you need to stop.

Just stop.

You say you oppose communism yet aspire to be a modern East Germany.

Pretty soon your tech overlords will predetermine potential thought crimes.. route out the enemy within comrades!

Last edited:
We’re just completely losing our minds now. Civil liberties are dead. The government is running your life now. I thought shit like 1984, Harrison Bergeron, and Brave New World were supposed to be cautionary tales. Turns out other people were using them as instruction manuals.

Cyberpunkd

We’re just completely losing our minds now. Civil liberties are dead. The government is running your life now. I thought shit like 1984, Harrison Bergeron, and Brave New World were supposed to be cautionary tales. Turns out other people were using them as instruction manuals.
My guess is this is less of a government thing and more of the sheriff having serious authoritarian tendencies, the article mentions this is not the first time that particular office comes out with such an initiative.

Boss Mog

The people that got the letters were already criminals, I don't see anything wrong with telling them that the police is keeping an eye on them and that they should behave. This has nothing to do with "pre-crime".

crozier

In any other context, police behavior here would make them the criminals. I feel bad for the people they’re trying to run out of town.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Wait so some of you are saying we shouldn’t monitor people people with a history of repeated criminal activities?

I thought we have been doing that this whole time?!

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
:pie_eyeroll: What a stupid comment.

If you'd bothered to read the article before jumping in with your dumbass, dismissive comment, you would've maybe been able to grasp that this department isn't just sending people letters. They are turning up at their houses at all hours of the day and night and harrassing them, even though they've done nothing wrong.

I'm going to post the definition of pre-crime because apparently you have no idea what it is. You should read it before posting any more stupid comments.

"It is increasingly used in academic literature to describe and criticise the tendency in criminal justice systems to focus on crimes not yet committed. Pre-crime intervenes to punish, disrupt, incapacitate or restrict those deemed to embody future crime threats. The term pre-crime embodies a temporal paradox, suggesting both that a crime has not occurred and that the crime that has not occurred is a foregone conclusion"

Boss Mog

If you'd bothered to read the article before jumping in with your dumbass, dismissive comment, you would've maybe been able to grasp that this department isn't just sending people letters. They are turning up at their houses at all hours of the day and night and harrassing them, even though they've done nothing wrong.

I'm going to post the definition of pre-crime because apparently you have no idea what it is. You should read it before posting any more stupid comments.

"It is increasingly used in academic literature to describe and criticise the tendency in criminal justice systems to focus on crimes not yet committed. Pre-crime intervenes to punish, disrupt, incapacitate or restrict those deemed to embody future crime threats. The term pre-crime embodies a temporal paradox, suggesting both that a crime has not occurred and that the crime that has not occurred is a foregone conclusion"
No, my comment was merely an analysis of your original dumbass, dismissive comment. I read the article and the relevant part is "people with criminal histories" and I'm guessing it's not people that shoplifted some groceries once, 10 years ago, it's career criminals who are very likely to offend again in the near future. The US is going through unprecedented levels of violent crimes due to the "defund the police" movement and the fact is that, even if caught, the offenders are immediately released most of the time. I read about and see footage of unprovoked violent attacks against innocent and vulnerable people almost on a daily basis and if the cops took those scumbags and through them in a woodchipper I would cheer and say good riddance, so I certainly don't give a shit if the cops harass these kinds of scumbags by showing up to their domicile. I do however oppose the harassment of family members if they don't share such criminal histories.

You seem to think more policing is automatically bad and will always be some kind of oppressive force like in China. In the US, more police presence has been shown in statistics to reduce crime levels. Have you ever been to SIngapore? It's pretty much a police state. It's also an extremely diverse city-state, both in terms of ethnicities and religions and yet everybody gets along great and the people there are some of the nicest and happiest I've met in my life. So while this police state cuts some of the freedoms out and is tough on crime, the tradeoff seems worth it as there is virtually no crime and no corruption.

Wikipedia:
In the Corruption Perceptions Index which ranks countries by "perceived levels of public sector corruption", Singapore has consistently ranked as one of the least corrupt.[199] Singapore's unique combination of a strong almost authoritarian government with an emphasis on meritocracy and good governance is known as the "Singapore model", and is regarded as a key factor behind Singapore's political stability, economic growth, and harmonious social order.[200][201] In 2019, the World Justice Project's Rule of Law Index ranked Singapore as 13th overall among the world's 126 countries for adherence to the rule of law. Singapore ranked high on the factors of order and security (#1), absence of corruption (#3), regulatory enforcement (#3), civil justice (#5), and criminal justice (#6), but ranked significantly lower on factors of open government (#25), constraints on government powers (#27), and fundamental rights (#30).[202] All public gatherings of five or more people require police permits, and protests may legally be held only at the Speakers' Corner.[203]

Now I get that Singapore is more the exception than the rule when it comes to police states, and that most of them are abusive and corrupt. And I'm not saying the US needs to become a police state either, but if we want to avoid the societal collapse that we're currently on a collision course with, we could do with more police, tougher laws, tougher sentencing.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
America, you need to stop.

Just stop.

You say you oppose communism yet aspire to be a modern East Germany.

Pretty soon your tech overlords will predetermine potential thought crimes.. route out the enemy within comrades!
A lot of us would like a smaller less intrusive government, but many people believe the lie that the government is the solution for everything.

the idea of small unobtrusive government has lost in the arena of ideas in the US. People here give up freedom daily for fabled promises of security.

A lot of us would like a smaller less intrusive government, but many people believe the lie that the government is the solution for everything.

the idea of small unobtrusive government has lost in the arena of ideas in the US.

People here give up freedom daily for fabled promises of security.

Well they think that it won’t affect them. Americans are trained to accept this diseased mentality.

dr_octagon

Banned
avoid the following and you'll be fine
  • don't appear in a list of individuals who may commit a crime
  • don't get flagged by AI
  • don't speak, look or behave like a criminal
  • don't have others suggest you are a criminal
  • don't give reasons to suggest you are a criminal such as questioning the police and their approach
  • don't communicate in a criminality manner online
  • don't participate in activities which criminals enjoy
  • don't buy things criminals buy
  • don't wear criminal clothing
  • don't think or express criminalous thoughts
  • don't watch CSI or Minority Report
  • don't help other potential criminals such as making a list
edit: typo because crimianls are illiterate

Last edited:
When you get attacked, your property stolen and destroyed and then the police are of no help at all and let the blood covered assailants you just beat up after ambushing you go free... Thats when you'll realize that maybe we are a little too fucking soft on crime.

I say run the fucking known criminals out of any decent town they try to set their ratty asses down in. In a certain regard, an "Escape from LA" big prison island sort of doesn't seem like that bad of an idea.

I could have been killed or maimed and they let them walk away. March them all out of town at the point of a bayonet if need be. So says I.

dr_octagon

Banned
people turn their lives round or regret stupid actions. it doesn't mean they should have a permanent mark against their name because a likelihood they may be a criminal. there is also a likelihood they will be a decent upstanding citizen who helps their community and society. second chances and people working hard will alwayd happen, even if friends, family and society brands someone a failure or says they are destined to a life of crime.

you can be tough on crime without treating society in a distrustful manner. not everyone is a criminal in waiting. how much more surveillance, technology and suspicion is required? it's lazy and good law enforcement doesn't not come at the cost of freedom, people have been conditioned to think this way and willingly accept their liberties being the trade off.

get better and smarter officers and raise the quality of policing. keeping people safe by using the classic 'terrorists, criminals and pedophiles' line because if the ends justify the means. why not chip everyone with designated zones and times to go outside?

Last edited:

BigBooper

Seems like a bad idea, aside from the downward spiral effect, it's vulnerable to all kinds of lawsuits, but at the same time the justice system is failing and on the police side they are trying to do whatever they can. I live in a rural and conservative area, and the local judge is just letting everything below murder or rape go pretty much. I don't think this is the solution at all.

We probably need something more like...
liveblogging sylvester stallone GIF

No doubt they are searching high school GPAs for students whose grades are too high because they are abusing ADD meds to stay up all night writing papers

When you get attacked, your property stolen and destroyed and then the police are of no help at all and let the blood covered assailants you just beat up after ambushing you go free... Thats when you'll realize that maybe we are a little too fucking soft on crime.

I say run the fucking known criminals out of any decent town they try to set their ratty asses down in. In a certain regard, an "Escape from LA" big prison island sort of doesn't seem like that bad of an idea.
We did that. It is called Australia.

And lo and behold the UK is not a crime free paradise as a result.

Governments have plenty of crooks to be tough on, proven guilty using existing techniques... they don't want to waste money on it... if a few people get killed, raped etc thats a price worth paying (to the elites).

This will cost money. Lots of it.

It is not to fight crime.

You guys used to be fucking great. A beacon of liberty and hope for the world. What the fuck happened?

Last edited:
We did that. It is called Australia.

And lo and behold the UK is not a crime free paradise as a result.

Governments have plenty of crooks to be tough on, proven guilty using existing techniques... they don't want to waste money on it... if a few people get killed, raped etc thats a price worth paying (to the elites).

This will cost money. Lots of it.

It is not to fight crime.

You guys used to be fucking great. A beacon of liberty and hope for the world. What the fuck happened?

I guess the problem is dropping them onto an island. We should be dropping them into the open ocean. Or offloading them into the countries of our adversaries en masse and let them be their problem.

Maybe the recent attack on my person is making me... saltier... toward the idea of letting violent criminals run loose in my country.

"enhanced support and increased accountability."

Following in the footsteps of enhanced interrogation, I see.
Just taking the path to light universe justice

Can you get a restraining order against the police? Because that should certainly be grounds for it. Showing up to private property unannounced, crazy
Police sometime come erroneously in swat and kill you, especially with prank calls.

Of course you could have enough security to pacifically neutralize the swat, but that would be seen in a bad light.
The people that got the letters were already criminals, I don't see anything wrong with telling them that the police is keeping an eye on them and that they should behave. This has nothing to do with "pre-crime".
IT is said jail merely keeps criminals out while their testosterone drops due to aging, and they become less violent, but normally recidivism while young is rumored high.

Without some form of brain remodeling, they may require castration. The rate of violent crime is like 10X higher in men vs women.

Also think smart glasses should be allowed to have cameras and record and transmit everything to the cloud, with cameras that can see through masks, byebye crime.
Not a bad idea for known criminals.

I'm not versed at all with how law enforcement programs work but if it makes things safer I'm for it.
Might or might not work, would need to investigate what is the conclusion on success of deterrence from warnings.

I have a problem with the issue that some innocents may be affected by this. The Mob and society not always a good arbiter of justice.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The idea of pre-crime monitoring works, such as community violence intervention https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...ee-nappies-and-a-little-mentoring-are-curbing "It’s known as group violence intervention (GVI), an attempt to forestall violence in US cities developed in Boston in the 90s by David Kennedy, a criminology professor. When the city’s youth homicide rate fell 63%, it became known as the “Boston miracle”."

I don't know the detail about the Florida program, but usually pre-crime monitoring will send police and support worker, which give high-risk individual support such as therapist, drug rehab, job findings, money, community support etc, to help them avoid being driven into more serious crime. It is completely voluntary, but if they accept the assistance, their sentencing would be higher if they still choose to commit crime in future.

The idea of pre-crime monitoring works, such as community violence intervention https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...ee-nappies-and-a-little-mentoring-are-curbing "It’s known as group violence intervention (GVI), an attempt to forestall violence in US cities developed in Boston in the 90s by David Kennedy, a criminology professor. When the city’s youth homicide rate fell 63%, it became known as the “Boston miracle”."

I don't know the detail about the Florida program, but usually pre-crime monitoring will send police and support worker, which give high-risk individual support such as therapist, drug rehab, job findings, money, community support etc, to help them avoid being driven into more serious crime. It is completely voluntary, but if they accept the assistance, their sentencing would be higher if they still choose to commit crime in future.
Too. Fucking. Soft.

Top Bottom