• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politico: How Russia Targets the U.S. Military

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/12/how-russia-targets-the-us-military-215247

It's not just political targets.

In recent years, intelligence experts say, Russia has dramatically increased its “active measures” — a form of political warfare that includes disinformation, propaganda and compromising leaders with bribes and blackmail — against the United States. Thus far, congressional committees, law enforcement investigations and press scrutiny have focused on Kremlin leader Vladimir Putin’s successful efforts to disrupt the American political process. But a review of the available evidence and the accounts of Kremlin-watchers make clear that the Russian government is using the same playbook against other pillars of American society, foremost among them the military. Experts warn that effort, which has received far less attention, has the potential to hobble the ability of the armed forces to clearly assess Putin’s intentions and effectively counter future Russian aggression.

In addition to propaganda designed to influence service members and veterans, Russian state actors are friending service members on Facebook while posing as attractive young women to gather intelligence and targeting the Twitter accounts of Defense Department employees with highly customized “phishing” attacks. The same Russian military hacking group that breached the Democratic National Committee, “Fancy Bear,” was also responsible for publicly posting stolen Army data online while posing as supporters of the Islamic State in 2015, according to the findings of one cybersecurity firm. And the hacking group’s most common target for phishing attacks in the West has been military personnel, with service members’ spouses making up another prominent target demographic, according to another cybersecurity firm.

Serena Moring, a former military contractor from a military family, said she first became concerned about pro-Russian sentiment among soldiers on social media last spring, when an unverified report purporting to relate the story of a Russian soldier who died heroically while fighting ISIS in Syria began circulating among American service members on social media.

“All of the response from the military guys was like, ‘That is awesome. That’s an epic way to die,’” recounted Moring, 39. “It was a very soldier-to-soldier bond that was created through social media.”

Moring said she has become further alarmed as friends of hers in the military, including military intelligence, have become avowed admirers of Putin, and that she now expends considerable effort arguing about Russia on Instagram and Facebook channels geared to military audiences.

It's disgusting and somehow morbidly fascinating how social media has enabled this kind of brainwashing. It's more widespread than I thought

WedgeX

Banned
In addition to propaganda designed to influence service members and veterans, Russian state actors are friending service members on Facebook while posing as attractive young women to gather intelligence

I've seen a ton of these phishing accounts the last four or five years.

Tagyhag

I've seen a ton of these phishing accounts the last four or five years.

Lol are our soldiers really that stupid for that to work?

"Hey baby I just love having these late night talks with you but also what about your secret op again?

Beartruck

"Hey baby I just love having these late night talks with you but also what about your secret op again?

An old joke from the onion: "Bottom ten percent of last year's graduating high school class ready to take on Saddam."

They are absolutely that stupid.

I mean lot of them are straight out of high school, and most haven't even finished that.

Dishwalla

Banned

Young military members buy used 2015 Dodge Challengers for 30K at 20% interest. Of course they are that stupid.

Linkyn

You know, I was making fun of the fact that our military's cybersecurity efforts boil down to seminars on how to properly use social media and email services, but maybe that isn't so ridiculous after all.

I for one clearly add, like, and subscribe to every day old account pretty lady with lots of cleavage and yoga pants that requests on social media. What could the harm be in that!?

wolfhowwl

Banned

You're surprised that dumb teenagers away from home for the first time aren't making the best decisions?

Besides she was probably just turned on by my bitching V6 Mustang in the barracks parking lot, just ask Dinokill about those.

Dishwalla

Banned
You know, being in the military(Navy) we do get trained regularly on social media, but most of it is what we post, not who we friend. Like I've never heard any military official tell us not to friend these obviously fake accounts. They seem to think it's common sense among service members, but apparently it isn't.

Besides she was probably just turned on by my bitching V6 Mustang in the barracks parking lot, just ask Dinokill about those.

Well that was an unwarranted dig.

Zolo

In addition to propaganda designed to influence service members and veterans, Russian state actors are friending service members on Facebook while posing as attractive young women to gather intelligence
This sounds like a good comedy movie waiting to happen.

We need to just end any and all contact with Russia, send all Russian delegates home, and need aggressive legislation to target and block any and all Russian media and IPs coming into the country. Nothing left to be gained.

We need to just end any and all contact with Russia, send all Russian delegates home, and need aggressive legislation to target and block any and all Russian media and IPs coming into the country. Nothing left to be gained.

You'd think after the Comey testimony and all we know about how they interfered in the elections they would be treated as an enemy state, but nope our president invites their people into the Oval Office and people still think he is not guilty.

shira

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/12/how-russia-targets-the-us-military-215247

It's not just political targets.

It's disgusting and somehow morbidly fascinating how social media has enabled this kind of brainwashing. It's more widespread than I thought

Thankfully the consumer and commercial sector has already been throughly brainwashed. Those Russians can't sell me, I already enjoy good ol' American Дюшес
6_bottle.png

JordanN

Banned
You'd think after the Comey testimony and all we know about how they interfered in the elections they would be treated as an enemy state, but nope our president invites their people into the Oval Office and people still think he is not guilty.

I sometimes think it's less about viewing Russia as the enemy, but instead those on the right actually want to idolize Russia instead.

Before the election, Putin was already seen as their role model. A totalitarian right wing strongman figure who actively suppresses LGBT and stands for "traditional" values.

If the right wing didn't want to be seen as allies, there should be more action by them denoucing Putin for his invasion of Ukraine. But Trump remains a stalwart on that.

I sometimes think it's less about viewing Russia as the enemy, but instead those on the right actually want to idolize Russia instead.

Before the election, Putin was already seen as their role model. A totalitarian right wing strongman figure who actively suppresses LGBT and stands for "traditional" values.

If the right wing didn't want to be seen as allies, there should be more action by them denoucing Putin for his invasion of Ukraine. But Trump remains a stalwart on that.

Yeah, it's a combination of that and right now Russia is actively helping the GOP with their disinformation machine.

Zolo

It was joked before about Republican politicians idolizing Russia before Trump showed up. It's just much more obvious now.

"Hay baby can I come over to your place? Here have some drinks with me. Oh you're feeling sleepy? Just lie down for a sec, trust me nothing in your place will end up bugged, hacked, or stolen in any way."

Beartruck

Wow. Going to paint me with that broad brush huh?

Were you in the bottom ten percent of your graduating class and then you immediately enlisted in the US military to fight a war? If no, I'm not talking about you. Try not to take a broad joke(that I didn't even write) so personally.

Top Bottom