• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The EU says Twitter/X is the worst platform for disinformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

winjer

Gold Member

The European Union has identified X, formerly Twitter, as the social media platform with the highest ratio of misinformation/disinformation posts. The news came just as X disabled a feature that allows users to report misinformation related to elections.

On Tuesday, the Vice President of the European Commission for Values and Transparency, Vera Jourová, gave a speech discussing the progress made under the EU's strengthened 2022 Code of Practice on Disinformation. She singled out X as being rife with mis/disinformation.

X was assessed in a pilot phase in three of the EU's member states to evaluate a new testing methodology for discovering how easy it is to find disinformation content, how much engagement such content receives, and indicators about sources.

"These indicators – developed by the signatories - constitute an unprecedented and novel insight into disinformation on online platforms. Such insight is crucial to understand how effective platforms efforts are to fight this threat even more efficiently," said Jourová.

"Disinformation is not new, nor does it happen only on online platforms," said Jourová. "But with increasing digitalization, malicious actors have gained new ways to try to undermine our democracies."

"The Russian state has engaged in the war of ideas to pollute our information space with half-truth and lies to create a false image that democracy is no better than autocracy," she said.

Google said that between January and April this year, it removed more than 400 channels from YouTube that were involved in coordinated influence operations linked to the Russian-state-sponsored Internet Research Agency (IRA). Meta, TikTok, and Microsoft have also been pushing back against Russian propaganda.

"The Kremlin fights with bombs in Ukraine, but with words everywhere else, including in the EU," said Jourová.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Roxkis_ii

Reading stuff off Twitter and some parts of reddit actually make me lose hope in humanity. I don't know if I should pray for their destruction, or be happy that the crazies have a place to be contained.

winjer

Gold Member
The creators wanted to take a poison pill till Elon saved their lives. He’s a hero.

Twitter shareholders wanted to find a sucker that would overpay for the company. And they found one that exceeded their wildest expectations.

Mistake

Google and Facebook were openly promoting crypto scams when the ukraine war started, so singling out twitter isn't exactly fair here. I've seen plenty of cam girl bots, but not much else on twitter. And if the EU and other countries are so worried about "misinformation," maybe they should actually educate the public in civics and media literacy skills.
But that would undermine everything now wouldn't it?

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
EU says??? Lmao 🤣

Basically we want to tell you what to believe. We want a monopoly on information.

Also this is how it starts. Blame misinformation = implement new laws = censuring information, ideas, topics, discussions etc.

The internet will soon change for the worse.

VN1X

Banned
I don't recall voting for this person. She doesn't speak for me.

Who decides what's "disinformation" and what's free expression?
Exactly. EU ain't exactly the beacon of freedom of speech or not succumbing to disinfo themselves lol.

We arrest people for their opinions, use allegations to undermine political opponents and surveil the public on mass.

Zok310

Banned
I don't recall voting for this person. She doesn't speak for me.

Who decides what's "disinformation" and what's free expression?
People more educated than you, better credentials on the topic than you, people with shit load more money than you to conduct these research and finally people with more experience making these kind of decisions.
And thats its really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom