• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polish food newbie reccomandations

TaySan

Banned
Tomorrow is going to be my birthday and normally i go out for Sushi, but i want to try something new this year and eat Polish food for dinner instead. What should i try that screams "Polish". Thank you. :)

Raphael

Pierogi definitely there is a lot variaty there, all of them are delicious apart from russian style - which will get me killed cause plenty people love them as well. Get some sweet ones as well.

Bigos screams polish, its not very usual but i take like it most with mashed potates and its perfect.

Potato cakes - i eat them just sprinkled with sugar, but those are often served with sour cream which is okay but worse imo.

There is a huge variaty of soups, barszcz is probably the most sterotypical polish. Barszcz is often ate with pierogi (cabbage and mushroom usually). Apart from that you might want to try żurek for something new as well.

Zapiekanka is a bit like a bread pizza its usually very good but not something you would probably be offered in a Restaurant.

Herrings. Milion dishes and ways we serve it. Worth a try but those can be very hit or miss.

Schabowy z kością - pork loin with the bone. My favourite traditional meat. Plain but delicious.

Gołąbki - cabbage rolls. I love them with mashed potatoes as well, which gives me some crazy looks in some regions, but thats the default from the region im from lol.

Thats a start. If the Restaurant has a menu online then send it over i can glipse through it. We have plenty of variaty of dishes but nothing universally known appart from pierogi so the restuarants can differ quite a bit from each other. Some May be going more mushrooms, venisons and other into regional things like herring soups and herring in all styles etc.

You need to drink vodka as well, lots.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
Pierogi definitely there is a lot variaty there, all of them are delicious apart from russian style - which will get me killed cause plenty people love them as well. Get some sweet ones as well.

Bigos screams polish, its not very usual but i take like it most with mashed potates and its perfect.

Potato cakes - i eat them just sprinkled with sugar, but those are often served with sour cream which is okay but worse imo.

There is a huge variaty of soups, barszcz is probably the most sterotypical polish. Barszcz is often ate with pierogi (cabbage and mushroom usually). Apart from that you might want to try żurek for something new as well.

Zapiekanka is a bit like a bread pizza its usually very good but not something you would probably be offered in a Restaurant.

Herrings. Milion dishes and ways we serve it. Worth a try but those can be very hit or miss.

Schabowy z kością - pork loin with the bone. My favourite traditional meat. Plain but delicious.

Gołąbki - cabbage rolls. I love them with mashed potatoes as well, which gives me some crazy looks in some regions, but thats the default from the region im from lol.

Thats a start. If the Restaurant has a menu then send it over i can glipse through it. We have plenty of variaty of dishes but nothing universally known appart from pierogi so the restuarants can differ quite a bit from each other. Some May be going more mushrooms, venisons and other into regional things like herring soups and herring in all styles etc.

You need to drink vodka as well, lots.
https://www.atouchofeuropeancafe.com/menu/
Heres a menu!(the middle link) :D And thank everyone for the recomendations i'm open minded lol

Last edited:

Raphael

https://www.atouchofeuropeancafe.com/menu/
Heres a menu!(the middle link) :D And thank everyone for the recomendations i'm open minded lol
Menu is getting a bit corrupted on my phone but the sample platter sounds quite alright, not sure on the portion but if it wont be large then you can go for the pork after. I think they serve two types of pierogi the russian style (potate cheese) and cabbage mushroom. I dont particularly like the 1st one but like i said plenty of people love them so i guess depends on the person. Hope you will enjoy.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Sorry to hear about your gramps. This year is like 10 years of crap rolled into one. I keep on saying next year should be 2031.

You have a lot of Polish places in the area! Just ask the manager for their recommendation... Hopefully they are Polish.

Definately sausages. Pickled herrings (nice with Vodka). Pierogi. Cabbage rolls. And Panczki for something sweet.

TaySan

Banned
Are you still going to Alaska this year ??
No, Norwegian canceled our cruise until next year. We were going to go to Mexican Riviera instead, but now they canceled all cruises in October and November. My dad still wants to do something in Mexico. probably going to Cancun again, but not sure if i'm going to join them.

Think i'm going to wait until this pandemic is over next year and do a Mediterranean vacation :) Want to see Greece, Turkey and Israel myself.

And thank everyone for the replies! The place i'm going to has a sampler platter: 3Pc of pierogi, 1-cabbage roll, scoop of hunter stew, and 1-pc of homemade fresh kielbasa. So i think i'll give that or the BYOB a try. :)

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
No, Norwegian canceled our cruise until next year. We were going to go to Mexican Riviera instead, but now they canceled all cruises in October and November. My dad still wants to do something in Mexico. probably going to Cancun again, but not sure if i'm going to join them.

Think i'm going to wait until this pandemic is over next year and do a Mediterranean vacation :) Want to see Greece, Turkey and Israel myself.

And thank everyone for the replies! The place i'm going to has a sampler platter: 3Pc of pierogi, 1-cabbage roll, scoop of hunter stew, and 1-pc of homemade fresh kielbasa. So i think i'll give that or the BYOB a try. :)
Sampler plate sounds like the goods!

Doczu

Everyone will say pierogi, because that's the most stereotypical thing you can get. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Try żurek in a bread bowl if you can get your hands on it. Barszcz is just plain. Unless we talk about Ukrainian barszcz. That is stuffed like our żurek.

Or sour cucumber soup. Or sour cabbage soup. Damn we've got a lot of sour shit 🤔

Greedings

Zurek is amazing, but not really summer food. Get some good sauerkraut too.

A lot of the recommendations are Ukrainian though.

teezzy

Banned
Stuffed cabbage has always been my favorite.

My moms from Poland straight off the boat. I feel blessed to have been exposed to everything early on.

TaySan

Banned
SSmhBYk.jpg

Shit was amazing. D: ive been missing out! I think the hunters stew was my favorite shockingly lol Sadly this place is far from me otherwise i would visit more often.

Doczu

SSmhBYk.jpg

Shit was amazing. D: ive been missing out! I think the hunters stew was my favorite shockingly lol Sadly this place is far from me otherwise i would visit more often.
Bigos, gołąbek, pierogi and a sausage. Looks like a "best off" plate to me

Top Bottom