• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is food in your life?

Spyxos

Gold Member
As far back as I can remember, food was always very important to me and I was already looking forward to tomorrow's food today. I was probably once overweight because of this, but I've managed to lose the weight over the years. Right now I'm actually full, but I'm already thinking about food again.

I know that I shouldn't and i won't eat any more. But it annoys me that my thoughts are already revolving around food again. How are you doing with food? How important is it for you?

Food Eating GIF
Hungry Feed Me GIF

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I would die without food. It's a really annoying addiction. No matter how much I try to ignore it, I can never seem to shake it. Every day I'll be trying to busy myself with something else and eventually it just gets to me too strongly and I have to go eat something.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Extremely important. I just finished a dinner of cubed steak seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and worcestershire sauce cooked on my indoor grill, with a side of parsley-buttered red potatoes. Tomorrow is jerk-seasoned pork chops with sautéed vegetables. Birria beef with the recipe D Days like these... gave me is set for the day after.

Cooking is in my opinion, the most important skill to learn in life.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Extremely important. I just finished a dinner of cubed steak seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and worcestershire sauce cooked on my indoor grill, with a side of parsley-buttered red potatoes. Tomorrow is jerk-seasoned pork chops with sautéed vegetables. Birria beef with the recipe D Days like these... gave me is set for the day after.

Cooking is in my opinion, the most important skill to learn in life.
Man I wish I had time to cook good food.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Man I wish I had time to cook good food.
I have infinite time now, but back when I was still working, what I’d do is cook en masse on weekends, and store portions. For example, I’d make a giant batch of meat sauce for spaghetti and pour single servings into jars, then put those in the freezer. That way when I’d get home from work, I’d only need to boil some noodles while the jar is being nuked in the microwave. Pour, then done.

Basically made sure that all weekday meals could be accomplished in 15 minutes or less via reheating. Always had batches of stews, sauces, curries, chili, and anything else in the freezer.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Now that I am 56 years old my food is not near as enjoyable as it used to be to keep my heart from exploding sooner rather than later

Salad Lettuce GIF by Save the Chimps

Wildebeest

If food was so popular and good, then most of the stuff available wouldn't be highly processed and full of indigestible chemistry experiments.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Not at all to be honest, often I would like to spend my time not preparing dinner or sitting down to eat. Mostly I eat because I have to, not because I enjoy it.

I do like junk food though.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's a nuisance for me.

I eat because otherwise I have no energy. Usually just eat in the morning when I get up and at the evening after my workout. Mostly the same stuff over and over again. I absolutely despise eating out and/or something else than my usual meals.

Last Friday we had a small meet with our department so I could not avoid eating out... Ended up having diarehha and a huge bloat, even though the food served was decent. Hate that...

Go_Ly_Dow

Very important. I love to grow my own vegetables and cook a lot different cuisines.

Sharing meals with others is a big part of Asian culture so its ingrained in me anyway.

I enjoy cooking and eating delicious meals. I also enjoy cooking for my family and seeing a grumpy sullen face light up from the taste of good food. You can eat plenty of good tasting food while still being healthy!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Well, it literally keeps me alive.

I love good food, but as a single man I’m not willing to spend more time cooking than necessary. Can’t fathom spending hours preparing a dish that’ll be over in ten minutes tops. If I’m eating with others it’s an acceptable sacrifice, otherwise I’ll survive on simple stuff that can be done in 20-30 minutes in the worst-case scenario. I love to eat out, but it’s become a luxury and I don’t see prices getting any lower in the future.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am not really fussy. Will try most things.
But yeah. I am overweight so food is good. But I can over eat.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
While I do treat myself once in a while I basically eat to stop being hungry.
I have no problem making a big lasagna or sheperd's pie and eating the same thing for supper 3 days in a row.

I once told a foodie friend who enjoys fancy 5 course meals with expensive wine that if a pill was invented where I could get all the nutrients I needed I would take it.
Such blasphemy to his ears 😄

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
It's a nuisance for me.

I eat because otherwise I have no energy. Usually just eat in the morning when I get up and at the evening after my workout. Mostly the same stuff over and over again. I absolutely despise eating out and/or something else than my usual meals.

Last Friday we had a small meet with our department so I could not avoid eating out... Ended up having diarehha and a huge bloat, even though the food served was decent. Hate that...
You ever seen a Dr for that?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You ever seen a Dr for that?
No. I’m not really hot for doing screenings of my digestive track.

It comes and goes. Sometimes it’s better, sometimes worse. I learned to live with it. Tried doing food diaries and stuff but I never got anywhere as my issues seem so random. I generally have the feeling that both food and fluids pass through my stomach too quickly and that is the cause of everything. I know there exists this condition but it’s usually only after an operation… only I never had one.

Well, whatever. My mother also has digestive issues so I think it may be genetic. Also know many people who have issues and did and do constantly checks without anything really getting better.

So… whatever. It’s a bit hard on the social life but on the other hand makes binge eating or cravings a non issue for me - and I don’t really miss that.

Last edited:

lachesis

Food is love, and food is life. :)
I enjoy eating - but I also eat moderately and pretty healthy.
I'm a fairly good cook and love cooking new recipes and cuisine - at the same time, I also consider eating out = too expensive, and often waste of money.

I'm fussy about food and I have a lot of dietary restrictions (some self-imposed) so food is difficult for me. I have a couple of meals I make for myself on rotation and that's pretty much it. I like eating those and enjoy trying other foods I think I'll like, but society's expectations for dinner parties, eating out, exotic foods in foreign countries etc. just serve as an obstacle for me.

A family member celebrated their birthday today for example, and they wanted to go out to eat. I never join because they don't have food I'd actually enjoy and it's just a waste of money to me. I feel super uncomfortable sitting there with hardly anything to eat, maybe some fries or something. Throughout my life, a lot of (negative) attention has come from that, so it might have left me with something like a trauma.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm fussy about food and I have a lot of dietary restrictions (some self-imposed) so food is difficult for me. I have a couple of meals I make for myself on rotation and that's pretty much it. I like eating those and enjoy trying other foods I think I'll like, but society's expectations for dinner parties, eating out, exotic foods in foreign countries etc. just serve as an obstacle for me.

A family member celebrated their birthday today for example, and they wanted to go out to eat. I never join because they don't have food I'd actually enjoy and it's just a waste of money to me. I feel super uncomfortable sitting there with hardly anything to eat, maybe some fries or something. Throughout my life, a lot of (negative) attention has come from that, so it might have left me with something like a trauma.
It’s a real crux, isn’t it?

When I didn’t have issues I always dreamed of having my nutrition under control and not eat on impulse and then later regret it.

Then I finally manage it, only to find myself being rather unsocial because both having control over your nutrition and being able to cheat when the circumstance requires it is next to impossible. It really comes down for you to choose.

Feels kinda bad man…

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Eating disorder

It's getting less severe getting older it seems.

It's initial origin is still present

Last edited:
If you don't eat you don't poop.

Maybe if you ate you'd maintain weight?

My eating habits have always been abysmal. When I quit drinking I was about 230. I'm six foot, so I wasn't a giant or anything, but I definitely had a gut and love handles.

When I got sober I dropped from 230 down to 170 in like 3 months. Didn't work out, didn't change eating habits, I just cut out the alcohol and the weight melted right off.

I kind of assumed/hoped that my eating and sleeping schedules would normalize in sobriety, but they never did. I simply don't get hungry, if I don't remind myself to eat at mealtimes I would completely forget about them. There was more than one day where I'd go to brush my teeth at night and realize that I didn't eat anything all day long.

Sleep is whack too, I never get more than 6 hours tops, usually it is around 5. I don't have trouble falling asleep, but once it gets around the 5 hour mark I'm already stirring. Kinda annoying, but gives me extra time for games at least.

Hugare

I'm not addicted to it, but I love food (and cooking)

Coffee, tho. I'm really addicted to it.

I have to drink coffee everyday, otherwise I'll have some serious headache sometime during my day (maybe I'm really addicted to sugar, 'cause I never drink it black)

tamago84

i think once a body reaches a nice homeostasis (good hormone balance from dietary fats, no extreme low/high body fat %, and good lean mass), people can see food as a social/sustenance thing and nothing else.

badblue

Food is #3 on my "Top Ten things I Need to Survive" list.

So it's pretty important and I treat it as such. I love to cook.

Ballthyrm

Food is part of my culture.

Family time is foverer linked for me around sharing a meal, making food for the people you love, talking about anything and everything.

after getting good sleep, eating well is essential for my well being. I wouldn't want to live in a world in black snd white just the same way wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day.

Tams

I love it, but it's also a chore.

I often go to supermarkets wanting food, but not fancying anything by the time I actually get there, so I buy junk food and only enjoy the first few bites/pieces.

I do love cooking, but it's not something I always have time for; not even batch cooking at weekends.

Unfortunately, after getting diarrhea after some dodgy meals in a very, ummm, dirty country, I ended up with an inflamed stomach or something, so while my mental appetite is still there, my physical capacity no longer is.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
pretty important, I eat that shit all the time

Top Bottom