• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Police officer injured in deadly ambush sues Black Lives Matter leaders

Inciting violence IS illegal. Not saying thats what happened but that is the law.

Yeah, but how is that enforced. I mean, there is quite clearly an implicit tone of violent advocacy in the conservative rhetoric of the past four decades. Clearly, whatever is ruled here will have to be applied to everyone equally.

Fuchsdh

Inciting violence IS illegal. Not saying thats what happened but that is the law.

That's obviously what they're going for but I haven't seen any comments from any national BLM leaders that would meet the (stringent) requirements for prosecution. I feel bad for the guy for being so grievously injured, but he's barking up the wrong tree and getting taken for a ride by some law firm... especially since the perp was a combat veteran who fell in with the sovereign citizen movement. I haven't seen any overlap between that and BLM (and why would there be when they are diametrically opposed?)

Yeah, but how is that enforced. I mean, there is quite clearly an implicit tone of violent advocacy in the conservative rhetoric of the past four decades. Clearly, whatever is ruled here will have to be applied to everyone equally.

Basically unless you say "hey, we should kill those people right now" it's probably protected (at least federally.) It has to be a specific and targeted and immediate threat or advocation of violence.

13ruce

Banned
The police force of america really needs to be reformed with harsher rules and better education dafuq at how scumbags like that are allowed to have power in the law.

Mahonay

Banned
The police force of america really needs to be reformed with harsher rules and better education dafuq at how scumbags like that are allowed to have power in the law.
Police academies here often purposely recruit people with minimal education, lower IQ, and aggressive tendencies. They meant it to be this way.

Cyframe

It's not on black people and their allies to have a better attitude towards shit like this, because they're not the ones in a position of power to drive change.

Cooperation needs to be led and facilitated primarily by the police. Black people by and large are willing to work peacefully towards a better system- in part because we fear we will be killed without repercussions on part of our killers otherwise- but it needs to be understood that the trust in police has eroded because the actual institution of policing is decidedly racist. Ergo, it is on the police to start the conversations and internal changes and prove that they deserve the trust.

Suing a modern civil rights movement that black people favor because of retaliatory attacks that have ultimately been happening for ages regardless of their existence is not the way to do it, and it certainly isn't the way to get people to be sympathetic. Indeed, they might tell you to fuck off, which they have every moral right to in lieu of the social dynamics in play.

In short, don't get mad at the dog for growling at the guy who regularly kicks him.

Imm0rt4l

lol @ concern trolling on what's "productive" as far as discourse goes. Because having a veneer of niceness towards oppressive institutions is what liberates people right? That's how the slaves got free.

"maybe if you're nicer to your abusive husband, he'll stop beating the shit out of you."

fuck outta here

What about the militia groups and lonewolves that are anti-government, though.
e5YuU.gif
e5YuU.gif
e5YuU.gif
e5YuU.gif

Not quite sure why this is a cause for "fuck the police".

Could someone explain it to me?

Is it that police are trying to blame BLM leaders for when the protests get violent?

Enzom21

You can act however you choose to. But I'd encourage you to think about what type of world you want to live in, and whether your words and actions are doing your tiny part in moving us toward that.

Disagreement can be constructive. Protest can be constructive. "lmao pathetic trash" at an injured police officer whose friends and colleagues were killed probably isn't constructive.

Agreed, if only.

Aside from telling folks to be nicer to people oppressing them, what are you doin to "move us forward"?

andthebeatgoeson

Considering the state he's in I suspect he personally doesn't have that much to do with the suit. Sounds like he suffered pretty horrific injuries just doing his job.

I doubt it was his idea. Man behind the curtain shit.
Yeah, this cop probably really loves BLM and it's just his family. You know what they say about shit family members?

Is it that police are trying to blame BLM leaders for when the protests get violent?
What's there to explain? The lawsuit specifically blames BLM members for an unrelated shooting. It's a law officer on the front line of systemic raciscm, using the courts to attack minorities when the other elements of the racist system couldn't destroy them.

Wasn't this shooter a Sovereign Citizen? Not a peep from the media about that. It was always "Blame BLM!".

The two vigilante cop killers were also war vets but nope, not a single conversation about vet mental healthcare. This country is so fucked.

bachikarn

Maybe he should also sue all the police officers who unjustifiable kill black people. After all, they are the reason Black Lives Matter was created.

Imm0rt4l

What's there to explain? The lawsuit specifically blames BLM members for an unrelated shooting. It's a law officer on the front line of systemic raciscm, using the courts to attack minorities when the other elements of the racist system couldn't destroy them.

I feel anyone who needs to have this explained to them aren't worth engaging.

andthebeatgoeson

In retrospect... Yeah. But I've never been able to keep all the bullshit together on this site.

But I'm feeling energetic so I'll waste a post or two.

Verelios

You know perfectly well what you're doing. I'm not going to do this dance when the OP says otherwise.

Do you think that this sort of attitude is going to make things better? You can disagree with his case while still being mature and respectful to the dead.

If black people got a dollar for every time the whole "respect" angle was brought up, I'd argue we'd be the wealthiest ethnic group in the country.

This next part isn't directly at you personally, but white folks since the inception of this country always demand black folks "respect" them/organizations/positions of power and once this respect has been met THEN progress can begin. Shits annoying as hell, if folks lectured these organizations and governmental agencies half as much as they lectured black folks we'd be a much more progressive country. But hey, can't upset that false sense of peace.

old

So am I getting this right, we can't directly sue the cops and go after their personal money and property when they misbehave because they have special immunity. But they can directly sue us when we do?

Something seems incredibly unequal about that.

If black people got a dollar for every time the whole "respect" angle was brought up, I'd argue we'd be the wealthiest ethnic group in the country.

This next part isn't directly at you personally, but white folks since the inception of this country always demand black folks "respect" them/organizations/positions of power and once this respect has been met THEN progress can begin. Shits annoying as hell, if folks lectured these organizations and governmental agencies half as much as they lectured black folks we'd be a much more progressive country. But hey, can't upset that false sense of peace.

I s aw something about this that's routinely posted, but it's like, black folks ask that we respect them as people, while the problem white folks demand that we respect them as an authority, then they say, "if you won't respect me as an authority, I won't respect you as people." That's where the 'respect' angle is. I'm inclined to agree. They don't want 'respect,' they want you to sit down and shut up.

Fuck letting that happen tbh.

Imm0rt4l

I s aw something about this that's routinely posted, but it's like, black folks ask that we respect them as people, while the problem white folks demand that we respect them as an authority, then they say, "if you won't respect me as an authority, I won't respect you as people." That's where the 'respect' angle is. I'm inclined to agree. They don't want 'respect,' they want you to sit down and shut up.

Fuck letting that happen tbh.
Yes

You know perfectly well what you're doing. I'm not going to do this dance when the OP says otherwise.

I was honestly afraid of responses like this. Yes, I know about the "hurr durr I'm just asking questions" brigade. I'm not one of them. Though I doubt I'll convince you of this, I genuinely don't understand a lot of this stuff and genuinely want to.

Oh, unrelated? I didn't catch that part.

So, this officer who was injured in a police shooting is claiming BLM leaders influenced the shooter despite there being no proof of anything of the sort. That about sum it up?

I don't even remember hearing about this shooting, but reading the entire thing I just can't comprehend it all. Everyday there is something incredibly shocking in that it continues to re-enforce ideas that I've held for a long time after realizing when I was younger that nothing made sense, when people would generalize black people, brown people, and in general all minorities. I've had teachers tell me racism is dead because it ended during the civil war and or the civil rights movement era.

I mean for fucks sakes. This entire law suit feels unreal.

Jesus, God Almighty reading those letters.

We're fucked. We're so fucked.

Disclaimer up front: I'm not happy about what I'm about to say.

I'll take any bet available that the Cop wins his lawsuit. Forget about the right to assemble and protest, hes a cop, these are five black men. If a man can get shot on video, in front of his daughter, and the perpetrator can get away with it simply because he is a cop, Blue Lives can win any case in front of any jury that doesn't feature/majority POC.

I have no faith in the system, if that isn't already clear.

C4Lukins

This is the most disgusting thread I have seen on GAF that has been allowed to live this long. The officer mentioned was shot three times. In the head, shoulder and stomach and was left with brain damage.

It is not even known if he filed the lawsuit or family or a police union filed the suite. But yeah fuck him and fuck the police. Many of you do not even bother to read the story, and just read the idea that someone is suing BLM and they must be an ass hole. I guess he was not thinking straight when he came out of his coma.

I really do not want to be a part of this community anymore if this sort of garbage is allowed. And to the credit of the community, not everyone in this thread is a complete cunt. But several of you are dispicable.

Enzom21

This is the most disgusting thread I have seen on GAF that has been allowed to live this long. The officer mentioned was shot three times. In the head, shoulder and stomach and was left with brain damage.

It is not even known if he filed the lawsuit or family or a police union filed the suite. But yeah fuck him and fuck the police. Many of you do not even bother to read the story, and just read the idea that someone is suing BLM and they must be an ass hole. I guess he was not thinking straight when he came out of his coma.

I really do not want to be a part of this community anymore if this sort of garbage is allowed. And to the credit of the community, not everyone in this thread is a complete cunt. But several of you are dispicable.

You should PM a mod.

C4Lukins

You should PM a mod.

The thread exists. I am not going to narc and say this message board should be in line with what I feel it should be. But unless attitudes change then this is no longer a place after ten years that I wish to be a part of. Which may mean nothing to anyone. But I have made attempts to be a bit nicer, and a bIt more understanding. But this sort of shit where people are not reading the articles that are linked by the op, and the general hatred shown becomes the norm, this is no longer a fun place to hang. I just like to imagine though that the mods have a hard job, and it is easy for them to miss a thread from time to time.

But if the sort of negativity, hatred, and willfully ignorance is the new norm, then this is no longer a place I want to participate. And I am sure many would say good riddance.

The thread exists. I am not going to narc and say this message board should be in line with what I feel it should be. But unless attitudes change then this is no longer a place after ten years that I wish to be a part of. Which may mean nothing to anyone. But I have made attempts to be a bit nicer, and a. It more understanding. But this sort of shit where people are not reading the articles that are linked by the op, and the general hatred shown becomes the norm, this is no longer a fun place to hang. I just like to imagine though that the mods have a hard job, and it is easy for them to miss a thread from time to time.

Then why bother complaining? You could help make their hard job easier by directing them to the people whose posts you dislike and want gone so do it.

The thread exists. I am not going to narc and say this message board should be in line with what I feel it should be. But unless attitudes change then this is no longer a place after ten years that I wish to be a part of. Which may mean nothing to anyone. But I have made attempts to be a bit nicer, and a bIt more understanding. But this sort of shit where people are not reading the articles that are linked by the op, and the general hatred shown becomes the norm, this is no longer a fun place to hang. I just like to imagine though that the mods have a hard job, and it is easy for them to miss a thread from time to time.

This is a story about innocent black men getting sued, possibly with some sort of police involvement, and blamed for violence because they are standing up for their rights...

Don't moralize about hatred and ignore the core of it at the heart of this story.

Enzom21

Mods are not all knowing all seeing beings. If there is an issue with a thread tor member they tell us to PM.
Whatever issue you have won't be addressed if you just post it in a random thread.
If you think things are bad here calling people cunts isn't going to fix it.

Imm0rt4l

But if the sort of negativity, hatred, and willfully ignorance is the new norm, then this is no longer a place I want to participate. And I am sure many would say good riddance.
Fwiw I read the piece, and I'm familiar with happened. It's still fuck the police.

*shrugs

ZeoVGM

Banned
This is a story about innocent black men getting sued, possibly with some sort of police involvement, and blamed for violence because they are standing up for their rights...

Don't moralize about hatred and ignore the core of it at the heart of this story.

While I agree with what you're saying in terms of the clear and factual problem with police in that there is systemic racism and an issue with acting above the law, people jumped into the thread to say, "This officer is trash." The suit was field on his behalf.

And the OP specifically made sure to take this out of his quote when he was pasting the article:

During the ambush, Long shot Tullier in the head, stomach and shoulder, leaving him with brain damage. By December, the 42-year-old father of two had emerged from a vegetative state, regained some movement of his body and was able to communicate nonverbally.

The poster above needs to relax a little but people were really quick to attack the brain damaged police officer who was in a vegetative state for 6 months.

This suit is wrong. The person who filed it is a bad person. But we don't even know if it was a fellow officer or the family of this officer.

C4Lukins

Not defending the lawsuit. I am condemning the fuck that guy who got shot in the head posts. I do not know to what level the accused actually motivated the crime, nor do I know exactly what they said. Without knowing the exact details I am not condemning the BLM members. I am simply attacking the people who are telling this person who got a bullet in their head to fuck off as being human trash.

Alienfan

I think some of the comments in this thread are bit aggressive towards someone who got shot multiple times and now suffers brain damage because of a murderous cunt bag. He's obviously suing the wrong people, but I doubt most would be acting rational in his position either. BLM isn't an organization that promotes violence, so I don't see how this would stand in court

Enzom21

Not defending the lawsuit. I am condemning the fuck that guy who got shot in the head posts. I do not know to what level the accused actually motivated the crime, nor do I know exactly what they said. Without knowing the exact details I am not condemning the BLM members. I am simply attacking the people who are telling this person who got a bullet in their head to fuck off as being human trash.

Why would you even consider condemning BLM members in regards to this shooting?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

That still fundamentally an extremely flawed view point the about the reason why people reacting in this thread this way. Regardless of what happened in that rally BLM is decentralised movement protesting police aggression. To sue the entire organisation regardless of what happened there is malicious act against the cause there's no other way to interepret that.

The attacks on the guy personally considering his state are completely uncalled for especially considering the state and what he's lost (and whether or not he even made the suit) but lets not pretend like this is some lets wait for the facts to come out to reveal the truth scenario. Regardless of what the facts are this is an awful suit. You could personally set up a black lives matter chapter in your town with no contact with any other chapters and this suit would target you.

Top Bottom